Police close dog meat shop in Isaan

webfact

Alfredo, you keep saying you've had ehnough, but you keep coming back. You really should give up as you are terribly outclassed by Keester.

By the way, the poisonous ingredient in rat poison is warfarin. If rat poison was pure warfarin, it would be very effective for killing dogs, However, the average rat poison in Thailand is only .05% warfarin with the other 99.95% being inert ingredients. The LD50 (lethal dose for 50% of the animals that consume it) for dogs is 5-50 mg/kg. Or, 3mg/kg if eaten each day for 5 days. Thus, for a single meal, a 10kg dog would have to consume 50-500 mg of warfarin to have a 50% chance of death. That translated into 100-1,000 grams of commercially available rat poison for only a 50% chance of killing. The yellow box of pink rat pellets contains 80 grams of the commercial preparation. So to have a 50% chance of killing a dog, the dog would have to eat 1.25 to 12.5 entire boxes of the stuff. It is not a very effective dog killer, and VERY RARELY ever kills a dog.

The LD50 for rats is 323 mg/kg for males and 58 mg/kg for females. On a multiple-dose basis, the reported LD100 for rats is 0.2 mg/kg/day for 5 days. So if a rat were to have a single sitting at your poison box, it probably would have no effect on him. It is effective, because they keep coming back for multiple meals, in which case the LD50 dose becomes very small.

Bottom line: Nobody is killing dogs with rat poison. Ibuprofen or paracetamol, on the other hand is very toxic to dogs, and much more effective as a caninacide. For dogs, 600mg/kg will finish off a 20 kg dog. Thus, grinding 30 400mg tablets of ibuprofen and mixing the contents with a meatball will finish off most dogs. Using 60 tablets will get them all.

Wow! Thank you and a very informative post. Now we, including Alfredo if he reads it, all know that rat poison is just that; rat poison. That's why they don't call it dog poison. I take a dose of Warfarin each day since my doctor prescribed it after a heart attack. It certainly hasn't in the small amount I take, 3mg, done me any harm. If dogs took small amounts of Warfarin rat poison would it also be beneficial to them staving off heart problems?

60 tabs of paracetamol is a lot and would most certainly cure any dog's headache ... permanently.

Thanks and have a nice day.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Warfarin is nothing but an anticoagulent. It is often used as a blood thinner for humans -- usually under the tradenames Coumadin, Jantoven, Marevan, Uniwarfin.

the reason it kills in large enough does is that it causes hemorrhaging. I small doses, it only thins the blood. Aspirin does the same thing.

Ibuprofen is more effective at permanently curing a dog's headache that paracetamol.

• Like 1

You really should give up as you are terribly outclassed by Keester.

-noendtoit-

After reading your posting, I understand that you are completely unqualified to make such a statement, regarding rat poison and my writing.

I had the young dogs, 5-8 month young, alive or later their carcasses, checked by Veterinarians.

They, confirmed with tests, poisoned, with rat poison ingredients.bah.gif

https://suite.io/mia-carter/13x523d

Unfortunately, a large percentage of dogs who eat rat poison will die.

Secondary or indirect exposure to rat poison occurs when a dog eats a rodent that's fallen fatally ill as a result of the warfarin or similar anticoagulant toxin.

"When a rat eats poison bait, he will not die immediately. The rodent will wander away and he'll become fatally ill a day or two later. The dying rat will be easy prey for a predator like a dog or a cat, and when the pet ingests the rodent, he also ingests the toxin,"

http://dogs.about.com/od/safetytips/p/Rat-Poison-And-Dogs.htm

http://www.petmd.com/dog/emergency/digstive/e_multi_rat_poison

Yes, it is for the Vietnamese client. Thai people are Buddhist, don't kill animal and never eat dog.

the Thais should be Buddhists in theory, but they kill animals and eat them. chicken, beef, insects......

Yep. I wonder what Thailand @Suriya4 lives in. Not any Thailand I know.