Anger mounts as Gaza toll rises

webfact

Whatever that's supposed to mean. facepalm.gif

Yeah we know Israelis have a better life ... but Gazans still have their lives ... and Hamas seems very willing to sacrifice an awful lot of those lives for political propaganda purposes. They know they can't win (now) with normal tactics. So go for the pictures and further demonize and delegitimatize Israel to a greater world which is always more than ready to have an excuse to rag on Jews (looking at history). 

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the City of Philadelphia, or any other city, was denied open access to land, air and sea trade routes would it be self sustaining?

Hamas caused those restrictions themselves. There was no blockade when Israel handed over Gaza and Israel was forced into imposing one.

Unfortunately, we know the path Hamas chose. Even as Israel was completing the process of withdrawing all its settlers and soldiers from Gaza, Hamas carried out a bus-station bombing in Israel. Then, from late 2005 to early 2006, Hamas conducted multiple attacks on the very crossing points that allowed people and goods to move into and out of Gaza. For Hamas, it was more important to continue “resistance” than to allow Gazans to constructively test their new freedom — or to give Israelis a reason to think that withdrawal could work. Some argue that Israel withdrew but imposed a siege on Gaza. In reality, Hamas produced the siege. Israel’s tight embargo on Gaza came only after ongoing Hamas attacks.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/hamas-could-have-chosen-peace-instead-it-made-gaza-suffer/2014/08/08/eefd2b48-1d83-11e4-82f9-2cd6fa8da5c4_story.html

• Like 1

Whatever that's supposed to mean. facepalm.gif

Yeah we know Israelis have a better life ... but Gazans still have their lives ... and Hamas seems very willing to sacrifice an awful lot of those lives for political propaganda purposes. They know they can't win (now) with normal tactics. So go for the pictures and further demonize and delegitimatize Israel to a greater world which is always more than ready to have an excuse to rag on Jews (looking at history). 

Nobody has any idea what Hamas leadership is thinking much less planning to do. If they can't or won't stop the rockets, it makes sense to ride it out. Otherwise, they will be rebuilding again next year.

Those families that lost their kids are not going to quit so if those particular Palestinians have anything to do with the rockets, you can be sure, they will continue to be fired into Israel.

Thanks. That article summed it up nicely.    

Alan Dershowitz deftly highlights yet another proof of Hamas war crimes: Hamas chooses to locate its military efforts in the most densely populated parts of Gaza, instead of in the far less populated areas nearby – a decision calculated to maximize Gazan civilian deaths. Cynically breaking all rules, Hamas even uses ambulances to transport fighters and converts Gaza’s hospitals into command centers, weapons depots, and rocket-launch sites.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2014/08/israels_disproportionate_decency.html

• Like 1

If the City of Philadelphia, or any other city, was denied open access to land, air and sea trade routes would it be self sustaining?

I don't believe that an open independent Gaza would, by itself,  be a self-sustaining fiscal entity.  Do not confuse Gaza City with the unique geographical luck that enables Singapore to survive as a city-state.  But I think that perhaps the concept of a UN Mandate might provide some breathing space until a better solution for a more viable Arab state in the region could be achieved.

Philadelphia is not a state.

You know, JT, we are finally in agreement on a fact!

Of course, at no point did I suggest that Philly is a state. In fact, the point I was making is that Philly indeed is not a state, but a city. Which means it's population density should therefore be compared with the City of Gaza, not the total Gaza strip. Which then shows that Gaza is indeed a heavily populated place, and not the sort of neighbourhood where responsible people would choose to land their artillery shells and missiles.

Hence the media are actually complicit in the deaths of Palestinians by according such deaths a propaganda value for Hamas. I wonder whether the media will equally turn on their own nations should draconian measures be needed to deal with Islamists.

This is just harking back to Natanyahu's rather disgusting comment - the "telegenically dead". You really do think that it's ok, don't you. Denying people their humanity to try to defend the indefensible. Pretending that their deaths are some little political game being played. Ignoring that these "telegenically dead" had no choice, and that their families are probably grieving as I write. Perhaps you even have the effrontery that you could walk into the house of such a grieving family, tell a few jokes to lighten the atmosphere, then inform them that the dead person was only being propaganda for Hamas.

There is a good article on the "telegenically dead" for those who aren't too sickened by the concept. See: http://mondoweiss.net/2014/07/telegenic-israels-crumbling.html

• Like 1

I don't believe that an open independent Gaza would, by itself,  be a self-sustaining fiscal entity.  Do not confuse Gaza City with the unique geographical luck that enables Singapore to survive as a city-state.  But I think that perhaps the concept of a UN Mandate might provide some breathing space until a better solution for a more viable Arab state in the region could be achieved.

Interesting proposition. All we need now is some evidence to support your assertions and we can start an intelligent discussion.

Of course, at no point did I suggest that Philly is a state. In fact, the point I was making is that Philly indeed is not a state, but a city. Which means it's population density should therefore be compared with the City of Gaza, not the total Gaza strip. Which then shows that Gaza is indeed a heavily populated place, and not the sort of neighbourhood where responsible people would choose to land their artillery shells and missiles.

By the same token, do you feel responsible people should LAUNCH their missiles and rockets from the same sort of neighborhoods you describe?

They won't get return fire INTO the neighborhood if they don't fire OUT of the neighborhood.

Dissemble, deny or ignore. Just don't admit your error and show your embarrassment. (Hasbara 101). This holds true especially when the point being made in any way illustrates the inadequate analysis and/or facts of a poster.

You haven't as yet owned up to your error, have you? Never mind. We know.

And I don't need feel any to explain how off track you are with the lame defence of "they started it!" There is a whole thread here in which you can find the (many) flaws of your logic in this assertion. I suggest you read some of these earlier posts before you try to join in the conversation again.

By the same token, do you feel responsible people should LAUNCH their missiles and rockets from the same sort of neighborhoods you describe?

They won't get return fire INTO the neighborhood if they don't fire OUT of the neighborhood.

Dissemble, deny or ignore. Just don't admit your error and show your embarrassment. (Hasbara 101). This holds true especially when the point being made in any way illustrates the inadequate analysis and/or facts of a poster.

You haven't as yet owned up to your error, have you? Never mind. We know.

And I don't need feel any to explain how off track you are with the lame defence of "they started it!" There is a whole thread here in which you can find the (many) flaws of your logic in this assertion. I suggest you read some of these earlier posts before you try to join in the conversation again.

Oh, I'll get back with you on your earlier post but it takes a bit of time to wade through all the smoke you blew. Looks like tomorrow at the earliest.  Hold your breath.

In the meantime, if you don't wish to answer a couple of simple questions then don't do it.

I made my point.

• Like 1

Off-topic posts and replies are deleted.   There is a lot of irrelevant bickering and inflammatory remarks that are not related to the thread.  

If you have nothing to say, please don't post.   If a post says nothing, please don't respond.  

Hence the media are actually complicit in the deaths of Palestinians by according such deaths a propaganda value for Hamas. I wonder whether the media will equally turn on their own nations should draconian measures be needed to deal with Islamists.

This is just harking back to Natanyahu's rather disgusting comment - the "telegenically dead". You really do think that it's ok, don't you. Denying people their humanity to try to defend the indefensible. Pretending that their deaths are some little political game being played. Ignoring that these "telegenically dead" had no choice, and that their families are probably grieving as I write. Perhaps you even have the effrontery that you could walk into the house of such a grieving family, tell a few jokes to lighten the atmosphere, then inform them that the dead person was only being propaganda for Hamas.
There is a good article on the "telegenically dead" for those who aren't too sickened by the concept. See: http://mondoweiss.net/2014/07/telegenic-israels-crumbling.html

There would be one problem going to Gaza to visit the families of some of your 'telegenically' dead, problem being their bereaved died in Syria, now there is something truly disgusting to swill down your cup of moral indignation with. The desirability of Palestinian casualties is even mentioned in a captured Hamas manual. Whilst we are on the subject the dead are massively over represented by men of fighting age and under represented by women and children, so much for the discredited indiscriminate meme. Still the media whores persist in swarming round any incidents of dead children like flies;- on at least two occasions the children were given names bandied about in the press like a cause célèbre, only for the news to evaporate like morning mist when it turned out they were killed by Hamas rockets and were hence not as telegenic.
  • Like 2