Ooredoo SIM cards now on sale in Yangon & Mandalay

DagonKhan

Ooredoo SIM Cards Go on Limited Sale in Burma

RANGOON — Some shops in Mandalay have already begun selling a limited number of Ooredoo SIM cards, as the Qatari company remains tight-lipped about when its mobile phone cards will go on general sale.

Continues here:- http://www.irrawaddy.org/business/ooredoo-sim-cards-go-limited-sale-burma.html

Ooredoo jumps the gun with SIM sale in Mandalay Published on Wednesday, 30 July 2014 22:09

Ooredoo Myanmar began selling SIM cards in Mandalay yesterday for Ks 1,500 each, though prices for some numbers were as high as Ks 7,000, according to staff at mobile shops.

The SIM cards have hit the market more than two weeks ahead of date the company previously suggested for its debut: mid August. Customers lined up to buy the SIM cards in Mandalay yesterday.

Ooredoo has said it will begin selling SIM cards nationwide on August 15.

Continues here:- http://www.elevenmyanmar.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7014:ooredoo-jumps-the-gun-with-sim-sale-in-mandalay&catid=44:national&Itemid=384

In addition I can also confirm that shops are selling the Ooredoo SIM cards in Yangon. Large queues at a shop local to me, no idea about the rest of Yangon. The two people I have spoken to both paid Ks1,500.

Edited by DagonKhan
  • Like 1

Well I have acquired an Ooredoo SIM card. It cost Ks1,500 as mentioned above.

Super unimpressed with the 20Mb/day data allowance, that lasted the whole of 5 minutes before I received an automated text message advising me that I have used up my allowance!rolleyes.gif

I couldn't even tell you if it was faster than MPT or not, didn't have time to really play around with it.

If the newspaper articles are accurate when they say that Ooredoo will charge Ks25/Mb, then I doubt I'll be using it. Right now I'm paying Ks2/minute (with no Mb cap) to MPT and for sure I can download 1Mb in less than a minute. By my reckoning that makes Ooredoo over 10 times more expensive than MPT.

Let's hope Telenor with their 'Internet for all' slogan are more attractive for those of us who want to use the internet through our phones.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Certainly looks like they've ballsed this up.

A whole load of people have got hold of these SIM cards only to find out that their phones don't support them. My staff are telling me that it's Ks80,000+ for a 3G handset and that most people can't afford that sort of money, I'm not surprised!

I've removed mine and put the MPT one back in.thumbsup.gif

Cost of Ooredoo SIMs jumps 10 times ahead of official launch

Prices of Ooredoo Myanmar SIM cards have jumped as much as 10 times the price the company said they would be sold for – Ks 1,500 apiece – as mobile phone shops in Yangon have run out of stock, shop staff said.

http://www.elevenmyanmar.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7039:cost-of-ooredoo-sims-jumps-10-times-ahead-of-official-launch&catid=33:business&Itemid=356

Ooredoo’s services will also be affordable. From 15th August, after the kick-off promotion has ended, Ooredoo to Ooredoo (on-net) pay-as-you-go (PAYG) calls will cost 25ks per minute, Ooredoo to any other Myanmar network (off-net) PAYG calls will cost 35ks per minute, sending an SMS to any Myanmar network will cost 25ks a message and using the internet will cost 25ks per MB. Further details on Ooredoo’s pricing and fantastic launch promotions will be announced on 14 August at Ooredoo’s official launch ceremony.

http://www.ooredoo.com.mm/en/News.aspx?NewsId=A85FE289EDA9499F8A4AEFEA1BAF5535

Not impressed at all.annoyed.gif

Well it's all becoming one massive joke.

You can't make calls (none at all to non Ooredoo numbers for me), if you do manage to get through (to another Ooredoo number) the quality is rubbish (drops out all the time), internet speed is crap, internet allowance is crap, their call centre people seem to be utterly clueless and now people are getting messages (including me) telling them that they have to go back to the shop where they bought their SIM card and re-register or have their cards deactivated!

It is a complete farce.angry.png