No need to worry says Bangkok Immigration Commander

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While it is good to hear from a senior official, I don't see how it is going to change things much: if a police officer suspects you are on overstay they want to see your passport. If you do not have it with you then you are still going to be held or 'fined'...

I would think if an official thinks you are on overstay he would want to see your pp and would be happy to go to your home and view it!

• Like 2

what this man has just said in the OP is exactly what people with a brain have been saying on this forum for days

3 times now I have said the stupidity on this forum is becoming a big problem

A little bit of common sense and thinking before you put finger to keyboard please or don't type anything and just read while it is explained to you so you understand what is going on

• Like 2

you know guys, in Putin's Russia the situation when foreigners have to carry a passport with them at all times is for many years already.

My English friend (a black guy) was stopped by police in Moscow city centre having no photo ID with him, so they took him to the police station located at the very remote suburb of Moscow (about 20km from the centre) and held in a police cell with drunk criminals until I retrieved his passport from hotel :(

The atmosphere here is very bad really.

While it is good to hear from a senior official, I don't see how it is going to change things much: if a police officer suspects you are on overstay they want to see your passport. If you do not have it with you then you are still going to be held or 'fined'...

I would think if an official thinks you are on overstay he would want to see your pp and would be happy to go to your home and view it!

Perhaps a bit unlikely when a street like KSR is swept and hundreds of tourists are questioned. Or in a roadblock, 100km from your home.

I don't support the notion of carrying my passport at all times, but under the current set of paranoid conditions I think I will anyway. For a while at least.

What does this mean about the crazy new movement reporting requirements Hua Hin announced? Are they out the window too? I'm gonna guess yes, but it's not something I like having to guess about.

F F sk the movement reporting has been in existence for years, are you trolling or what ??????

In my condo every new resident is required to fill in a form and submit passport for photo copy before getting a room key, during the week a Cop comes by and collects the paperwork, this has been happening for years

If you move your residence it must be reported - there are many good reasons for this

Edited by smedly
  • Like 1

In my condo every new resident is required to fill in a form and submit passport for photo copy before getting a room key, during the week a Cop comes by and collects the paperwork, this has been happening for years

Is this the TM.28 form ?

Some great news and common sense on the passport front. But is there any clarification on the 24hr ruling of having to advise Immigration of change of address? This may also change as logistically is not always possible, particularly if moving around the LOS.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have done same and carried my Thai drivers license and a photo of my passport for 19 years here. Asked a few times for ID and always showed my TDL , never needed to show more.

If everyone had to carry their passport it would be a major problem as the black market would flooded with thousands of stolen and lost passports. Thailand already recently got bad international press regarding stolen and fake passports and I am sure they don't want that international press again.

• Like 2

Actually, they would prefer someone brings the passport to wherever you're located.

What I was told by the Colonel is that if you have the copy and can provide your passport to the authorities, you will not be fined. If you can't produce it, then you'll get a fine and a bit of time in the pokey until you come up with it or are deported.

Edited by ScottMallon
  • Like 1

Well, this makes the most sense. If you are in a situation where you need to present ID, you can go back to your house, apt or hotel and produce it. Fair enough.

I think it was just the wording of the other announcements that made it sound so draconian. Obviously, if there is an issue, you have to present your documents just like you would anywhere else, as it should be.

What does this mean about the crazy new movement reporting requirements Hua Hin announced? Are they out the window too? I'm gonna guess yes, but it's not something I like having to guess about.

F F sk the movement reporting has been in existence for years, are you trolling or what ??????

If you move your residence it must be reported - there are many good reasons for this

Thats the TM30.. Hes talking about the TM28

smedly, it isn't about a legitimate move to a new permanent residence. It is about having to fill out TM 28 every time you are out of your registered province. If you are a tourist and moving from hotel to hotel within your province of stay no big deal, no TM 28. If you are an ex-pat and move permanent residence within the province you will have to fill out, no big deal, how many times do you move permanent residence. It is a big deal for those visiting other provinces and returning home etc. For instance, I go up to Nong Khai overnight to visit friends, I have to fill out TM 28 and my wife has to fill out TM 30 each and every time. That, whether the law or not, is stupid. If you are traveling a lot, a very big headache. Let us all hope this dusty law stays in the dust or is changed to better fit the times. This is not 1979.

• Like 1

Some great news and common sense on the passport front. But is there any clarification on the 24hr ruling of having to advise Immigration of change of address? This may also change as logistically is not always possible, particularly if moving around the LOS.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

We are planning a story about the 24/48 hour reporting by tomorrow. Subscribe to Thaivisa newsletter and you will be the first to know:

http://www.thaivisa.com/newsletter-signup.html

Alright, but please remember to ask local police office too. They are the ones who are the recipients of the reports as per the Immigration Act section 37(3) and 37(4). It would be interesting to hear if the BiB actually know about it.

And while at it, ask about the "The provision of ( 3 ) and ( 4 ) shall not apply to any cases under Section 34 by any conditions as prescribed by the Director General.". What are the current conditions prescribed by the Director General ?

Edited by DrTuner