Thais advised to be wary of Cambodian 'fake Buddha'

webfact

Thais Advised To Be Wary of Cambodian 'Fake Buddha'
By Khaosod English

14068021391406803228l.jpg
Thais have been flocking to pay homage to Thian Wutthi (white robe), who claims to be an incarnation of Lord Buddha.

SA KAEO — Reports of Thai pilgrims flocking to pay homage to a Cambodian man who claims to be a reincarnation of Lord Buddha has raised the alarm of Thai army officials and religious leaders.

Col. Lerpong Siriwat, deputy commander of the Internal Security Operation Command (ISOC) in the border province of Sa Kaeo, said yesterday that he has received reports of Thais crossing the border to worship the Cambodian "saint."

The colonel said he has also obtained photos of the man that show him surrounded by followers at Taun Raja Temple in Kandal province of Cambodia. Murals on the temple's walls suggested the monk is in fact a reincarnation of Lord Buddha who has returned from Nirvana.

"Many Thais have been duped into believing that this man has divine power, or that he is the reincarnation of Lord Buddha," Col. Lerpong said. "So I am warning Thai people to be aware of the issue. Don't be duped by stories of his miracles. You may be fooled into losing your money."

A Cambodian history expert based in Sa Kaeo province told Khaosod that the man in question is known by locals as Phra Kru Thammachan. His real name is Thian Wutthi.

Mr. Thian, 65, is related to a well-known Cambodian politician, and many local administrators and politicians have paid visit to him in the temple, said the expert, who requested anonymity.

"It's impossible for Buddha to be reincarnated," said Phra Kru Sumon Thammakun, abbot of Koke Tabaeng Temple in Sa Kaeo province. "Buddha spent more than 500 lives before he finally reached Enlightenment, and he has already gone to Nirvana long ago."

Phra Kru Sumon said he has urged Cambodians and Thais who visited his temple to refrain from making a pilgrimage to Mr. Thian's temple.

"Buddhists should use their wisdom to decide what to believe, what not to believe," he said.

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1406802139

[khaosod]2014-07-31[/khaosod]

• Like 1

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"It's impossible for Buddha to be reincarnated," said Phra Kru Sumon Thammakun, abbot of Koke Tabaeng Temple in Sa Kaeo province. "Buddha spent more than 500 lives before he finally reached Enlightenment, and he has already gone to Nirvana long ago."

Heck, everyone should be allowed to come out of retirement once in a while.

So the Dalai Lama is an imposter?

• Like 2

Mr. Thian, 65, is related to a well-known Cambodian politician, and many local administrators and politicians have paid visit to him in the temple, said the expert, who requested anonymity.

Another typo from Khaosod. I'll fix it.

and many local administrators and politicians have paid to visit to him in the temple, said the expert, who requested anonymity.

Says you.

Love the bit about being fooled into parting with money, considering the fuss being kicked up by the credit card temple after being exposed over their own little money making scheme.

One claims to be Buddha, while the other knows that Buddha can't be reincarnated. They are twins in their mindset.....

• Like 2

Heck, everyone should be allowed to come out of retirement once in a while.

So the Dalai Lama is an imposter?

I'm with you on that one unless he's left 20ft long footprints in Tibet.
  • Like 1

"So I am warning Thai people to be aware of the issue. Don't be duped by stories of his miracles. You may be fooled into losing your money."

But continue to dupe farangs out of their money as much as possible. 

• Like 1

since when did thais worship anyone with this dark of skin?  lol. 

since when did Buddah demand your money?  

since when did enlightenment accept your credit card?

if people are so desperate for enlightenment try doing good deeds without expecting reward. 

Thais "tam Boon" expecting a reward.  these people are selfish and will never see enlightenment and are only participating in their own demise. 

enlightened people will never accept the public acknowledgment. it is always done in secret. between you and your maker. 

It's quite likely Siddhartha Gautama had darker skin since the Buddha was an Indian, at least it appears so in photographs of him.wink.png

The rest of your post is spot on, especially the good deeds comment. "Wots init for me?".

• Like 2

Says you.

Love the bit about being fooled into parting with money, considering the fuss being kicked up by the credit card temple after being exposed over their own little money making scheme.

But, travel down to your friendly neighbourhood Wat in Thailand, and they will take your money and give you guaranteed karma, all with a credit card......

• Like 2

He should come to Thailand and spend time with the fake monks. 

Fools and their money are easily parted. Maybe the abbots here are concerned that some of the money they want may go to another con man

• Like 2

In countries where Theravāda Buddhism is practiced by the majority of people (Sri LankaCambodiaLaosBurmaThailand), it is customary for Buddhists to hold elaborate festivals, especially during the fair weather season, paying homage to the 28 Buddhas described in Chapter 27 of the Buddhavamsa. The Buddhavamsa is a text which describes the life of Gautama Buddha and the 27 Buddhas who preceded him.[1] The Buddhavamsa is part of the Khuddaka Nikāya, which in turn is part of the Sutta Piṭaka. TheSutta Piṭaka is one of three main sections of the Pāli Canon of Theravāda Buddhism.

The first three of these Buddhas—Taṇhaṅkara, Medhaṅkara, and Saraṇaṅkara—lived before the time of Dīpankara Buddha. The fourth Buddha, Dīpankara, is especially important, as he was the Buddha who gave niyatha vivarana (prediction of futureBuddhahood) to the Brahmin youth who would in the distant future become the bodhisattva Gautama Buddha.[2] After Dīpankara, 23 more noble people (ariya-puggala) would attain enlightenment before Gautama, the historical Buddha.[citation needed]

The 28 Buddhas described in the Buddhavamsa are not the only Buddhas believed to have existed. Indeed, Gautama Buddha taught that innumerable Buddhas have lived in past kalpas.[citation needed]

Many Buddhists also pay homage to the future (and 29th) BuddhaMaitreya. According to Buddhist scripture, Maitreya will be a successor of Gautama who will appear on Earth, achieve complete enlightenment, and teach the pure Dharma. The prophecy of the arrival of Maitreya is found in the canonical literature of all Buddhist sects (TheravādaMahāyāna, and Vajrayāna), and is accepted by most Buddhists as a statement about an event that will take place when the Dharma will have been forgotten on Jambudvipa (the terrestrial realm, where ordinary human beings live).[citation needed]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_28_Buddhas

Maitreya (Sanskrit), Metteyya (Pāli), Maithree (Sinhala), Jampa (Tibetan) or Di-Lặc (Vietnamese), is regarded as a futureBuddha of this world in Buddhist eschatology. In some Buddhist literature, such as the Amitabha Sutra and the Lotus Sutra, he is referred to as Ajita Bodhisattva.

Maitreya is a bodhisattva who in the Buddhist tradition is to appear on Earth, achieve complete enlightenment, and teach the puredharma. According to scriptures, Maitreya will be a successor of the historic Śākyamuni Buddha. The prophecy of the arrival of Maitreya refers to a time when the Dharma will have been forgotten by most on Jambudvipa. It is found in the canonical literature of all major Buddhist schools (TheravādaMahāyānaVajrayāna), and is accepted by most Buddhists as a statement about an event that will take place when the Dharma will have been mostly forgotten on Earth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maitreya

As you can see by the information above, this guy is most certainly a fake

• Like 2

"Col. Lerpong Siriwat, deputy commander of the Internal Security Operation Command (ISOC) in the border province of Sa Kaeo, said yesterday that he has received reports of Thais crossing the border to worship the Cambodian "saint."

thai army is well qualified to judge who is real or fake saint. As worshiping a foreign national might be a matter of national security, thai citisens are advised to stop doing it, as only licensed and controlled by thai military are allowed to perform religious rites
  • Like 1

Only thais have real buddha....others are fake. Thats what they are taught.

Sent from my C6833 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have heard this said a lot - and yet I have never met an adult Thai that thought Buddha was Thai! A few though he was Chinese (which is not so difficult to understand with the fat Buddha statues around and the Sino-fying of statues and paintings). The rest all seemed to know he was Indian. Ask you GF/Wife, bet she does not say Thai - at worst you might get a shrug (which in Thai does not necessarily mean "I don't know" - ot often means, "I ain't saying, because we might argue about it")

If by chance he turns out to be real, then many of you would have miss a chance to enter haven. I would rather choose to believe first, just in case. I don't want to miss any chance, how ever slim, to enter haven.
  • Like 1

If by chance he turns out to be real, then many of you would have miss a chance to enter haven. I would rather choose to believe first, just in case. I don't want to miss any chance, how ever slim, to enter haven.

I could happily miss out on cheap caravanning holidays: http://www.haven.com/

• Like 1