Thais advised to be wary of Cambodian 'fake Buddha'

webfact

If by chance he turns out to be real, then many of you would have miss a chance to enter haven. I would rather choose to believe first, just in case. I don't want to miss any chance, how ever slim, to enter haven.

Better go to church then, and a mosque, and the local synagogue to improve the odds just in case they're right.
  • Like 1

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

since when did thais worship anyone with this dark of skin?  lol. 
since when did Buddah demand your money?  
since when did enlightenment accept your credit card?

if people are so desperate for enlightenment try doing good deeds without expecting reward. 
Thais "tam Boon" expecting a reward.  these people are selfish and will never see enlightenment and are only participating in their own demise. 

enlightened people will never accept the public acknowledgment. it is always done in secret. between you and your maker.

It's quite likely Siddhartha Gautama had darker skin since the Buddha was an Indian, at least it appears so in photographs of him.wink.png

The rest of your post is spot on, especially the good deeds comment. "Wots init for me?".

can you please post a few links to fotos of Buddha? ;-)
  • Like 1

Only thais have real buddha....others are fake. Thats what they are taught.

Sent from my C6833 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have heard this said a lot - and yet I have never met an adult Thai that thought Buddha was Thai! A few though he was Chinese (which is not so difficult to understand with the fat Buddha statues around and the Sino-fying of statues and paintings). The rest all seemed to know he was Indian. Ask you GF/Wife, bet she does not say Thai - at worst you might get a shrug (which in Thai does not necessarily mean "I don't know" - ot often means, "I ain't saying, because we might argue about it")

Actually the birthplace of the Buddha, Lumbini (yes, the park in BKK is named after it), is in Nepal, not India, and very much worth visiting, for anyone interested in spirituality (not just Buddhism). It's about 300 kms west of Kathmandu. It can be reached by road, and there is also an airport nearby.

Edited by Eurojomtien

"It's impossible for Buddha to be reincarnated," said Phra Kru Sumon Thammakun, abbot of Koke Tabaeng Temple in Sa Kaeo province. "Buddha spent more than 500 lives before he finally reached Enlightenment, and he has already gone to Nirvana long ago."

Heck, everyone should be allowed to come out of retirement once in a while.

So the Dalai Lama is an imposter?

The term, Buddha, refers to anyone that has achieved nirvana

Dalai Lama is viewed as the reincarnation of Avalokitesvara--the bodhisattva of compassion.

Not  Siddhārtha Gautama

...but I reckon saying that would not give you the likes you had for your humor coffee1.gif

Only thais have real buddha....others are fake. Thats what they are taught.

Sent from my C6833 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have heard this said a lot - and yet I have never met an adult Thai that thought Buddha was Thai! A few though he was Chinese (which is not so difficult to understand with the fat Buddha statues around and the Sino-fying of statues and paintings). The rest all seemed to know he was Indian. Ask you GF/Wife, bet she does not say Thai - at worst you might get a shrug (which in Thai does not necessarily mean "I don't know" - ot often means, "I ain't saying, because we might argue about it")

I have had Monks tell me Buddha was thai. And an Abbott from a temple in Lampang the same. LMFAO at how they knew so little about the topic 

In countries where Theravāda Buddhism is practiced by the majority of people (Sri LankaCambodiaLaosBurmaThailand), it is customary for Buddhists to hold elaborate festivals, especially during the fair weather season, paying homage to the 28 Buddhas described in Chapter 27 of the Buddhavamsa. The Buddhavamsa is a text which describes the life of Gautama Buddha and the 27 Buddhas who preceded him.[1] The Buddhavamsa is part of the Khuddaka Nikāya, which in turn is part of the Sutta Piṭaka. TheSutta Piṭaka is one of three main sections of the Pāli Canon of Theravāda Buddhism.

The first three of these Buddhas—Taṇhaṅkara, Medhaṅkara, and Saraṇaṅkara—lived before the time of Dīpankara Buddha. The fourth Buddha, Dīpankara, is especially important, as he was the Buddha who gave niyatha vivarana (prediction of futureBuddhahood) to the Brahmin youth who would in the distant future become the bodhisattva Gautama Buddha.[2] After Dīpankara, 23 more noble people (ariya-puggala) would attain enlightenment before Gautama, the historical Buddha.[citation needed]

The 28 Buddhas described in the Buddhavamsa are not the only Buddhas believed to have existed. Indeed, Gautama Buddha taught that innumerable Buddhas have lived in past kalpas.[citation needed]

Many Buddhists also pay homage to the future (and 29th) BuddhaMaitreya. According to Buddhist scripture, Maitreya will be a successor of Gautama who will appear on Earth, achieve complete enlightenment, and teach the pure Dharma. The prophecy of the arrival of Maitreya is found in the canonical literature of all Buddhist sects (TheravādaMahāyāna, and Vajrayāna), and is accepted by most Buddhists as a statement about an event that will take place when the Dharma will have been forgotten on Jambudvipa (the terrestrial realm, where ordinary human beings live).[citation needed]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_28_Buddhas

Maitreya (Sanskrit), Metteyya (Pāli), Maithree (Sinhala), Jampa (Tibetan) or Di-Lặc (Vietnamese), is regarded as a futureBuddha of this world in Buddhist eschatology. In some Buddhist literature, such as the Amitabha Sutra and the Lotus Sutra, he is referred to as Ajita Bodhisattva.

Maitreya is a bodhisattva who in the Buddhist tradition is to appear on Earth, achieve complete enlightenment, and teach the puredharma. According to scriptures, Maitreya will be a successor of the historic Śākyamuni Buddha. The prophecy of the arrival of Maitreya refers to a time when the Dharma will have been forgotten by most on Jambudvipa. It is found in the canonical literature of all major Buddhist schools (TheravādaMahāyānaVajrayāna), and is accepted by most Buddhists as a statement about an event that will take place when the Dharma will have been mostly forgotten on Earth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maitreya

As you can see by the information above, this guy is most certainly a fake

QUOTE:  as you can see by the INFORMATION above, .... UNQUOTE

Do you classify the story of the easter bunny, Pinochio, etc also as "INFORMATION"?

Do you equate 'information' with 'facts'? If I were relating stories about the Easter bunny or Pinocchio then, yes, I would call that information. It is a fact that there is a story of the Easter bunny and it is a fact there is a story about a character called Pinocchio. Are the stories factual? It is not in my personal belief system but if someone wants to believe they are factual it's none of my business. Why do you care what people believe and why would it be your business to change them? I'm not in the business of telling anyone their official belief system is 'hokum' thought it sounds like you are. I respect everybody's belief system as long as it doesn't trod on my toes. My post used Theraveda dogma to prove that, by that dogma, the man who claims to be the Buddha is a fake. I don't make any claims as to the validity of Buddhism itself, one way or the other. 

Insult other people's belief system, much?

hypocrisy
hɪˈpɒkrɪsi/
noun

1. the practice of claiming to have higher standards or more noble beliefs than is the case.

You say you respect everybody's beliefs yet claim that this guy is a fake whistling.gif 

In countries where Theravāda Buddhism is practiced by the majority of people (Sri LankaCambodiaLaosBurmaThailand), it is customary for Buddhists to hold elaborate festivals, especially during the fair weather season, paying homage to the 28 Buddhas described in Chapter 27 of the Buddhavamsa. The Buddhavamsa is a text which describes the life of Gautama Buddha and the 27 Buddhas who preceded him.[1] The Buddhavamsa is part of the Khuddaka Nikāya, which in turn is part of the Sutta Piṭaka. TheSutta Piṭaka is one of three main sections of the Pāli Canon of Theravāda Buddhism.

The first three of these Buddhas—Taṇhaṅkara, Medhaṅkara, and Saraṇaṅkara—lived before the time of Dīpankara Buddha. The fourth Buddha, Dīpankara, is especially important, as he was the Buddha who gave niyatha vivarana (prediction of futureBuddhahood) to the Brahmin youth who would in the distant future become the bodhisattva Gautama Buddha.[2] After Dīpankara, 23 more noble people (ariya-puggala) would attain enlightenment before Gautama, the historical Buddha.[citation needed]

The 28 Buddhas described in the Buddhavamsa are not the only Buddhas believed to have existed. Indeed, Gautama Buddha taught that innumerable Buddhas have lived in past kalpas.[citation needed]

Many Buddhists also pay homage to the future (and 29th) BuddhaMaitreya. According to Buddhist scripture, Maitreya will be a successor of Gautama who will appear on Earth, achieve complete enlightenment, and teach the pure Dharma. The prophecy of the arrival of Maitreya is found in the canonical literature of all Buddhist sects (TheravādaMahāyāna, and Vajrayāna), and is accepted by most Buddhists as a statement about an event that will take place when the Dharma will have been forgotten on Jambudvipa (the terrestrial realm, where ordinary human beings live).[citation needed]

Maitreya (Sanskrit), Metteyya (Pāli), Maithree (Sinhala), Jampa (Tibetan) or Di-Lặc (Vietnamese), is regarded as a futureBuddha of this world in Buddhist eschatology. In some Buddhist literature, such as the Amitabha Sutra and the Lotus Sutra, he is referred to as Ajita Bodhisattva.

Maitreya is a bodhisattva who in the Buddhist tradition is to appear on Earth, achieve complete enlightenment, and teach the puredharma. According to scriptures, Maitreya will be a successor of the historic Śākyamuni Buddha. The prophecy of the arrival of Maitreya refers to a time when the Dharma will have been forgotten by most on Jambudvipa. It is found in the canonical literature of all major Buddhist schools (TheravādaMahāyānaVajrayāna), and is accepted by most Buddhists as a statement about an event that will take place when the Dharma will have been mostly forgotten on Earth.

QUOTE:  as you can see by the INFORMATION above, .... UNQUOTE

Do you classify the story of the easter bunny, Pinochio, etc also as "INFORMATION"?

Do you equate 'information' with 'facts'? If I were relating stories about the Easter bunny or Pinocchio then, yes, I would call that information. It is a fact that there is a story of the Easter bunny and it is a fact there is a story about a character called Pinocchio. Are the stories factual? It is not in my personal belief system but if someone wants to believe they are factual it's none of my business. Why do you care what people believe and why would it be your business to change them? I'm not in the business of telling anyone their official belief system is 'hokum' thought it sounds like you are. I respect everybody's belief system as long as it doesn't trod on my toes. My post used Theraveda dogma to prove that, by that dogma, the man who claims to be the Buddha is a fake. I don't make any claims as to the validity of Buddhism itself, one way or the other. 

hypocrisy
hɪˈpɒkrɪsi/
noun

1. the practice of claiming to have higher standards or more noble beliefs than is the case.

You say you respect everybody's beliefs yet claim that this guy is a fake whistling.gif 

You say you respect everybody's beliefs

What I really said, "I respect everybody's belief system as long as it doesn't trod on my toes"

You wouldn't misquote me to make my intentions less than honorable, would you?

Besides, I never claimed he was a fake. My statement was, "by the information above, this guy is most certainly a fake". By using, "by the information above", I qualified my statement. Have you no understanding of a 'qualified' statement? 

If you qualify your statement, you add some information, evidence, or phrase in order to make it less strong or less generalized  http://vlc.polyu.edu.hk/academicwriter/argument/qualifying.htm

I'm sorry (for you), but I will not lower my writing standards for ignorant people or for those with little reading comprehension.

The intent of my post was to defend the abbot's point of view, in that he was following the teachings of Theraveda Buddhism, when he made his claim. By those standards, he is correct. That does not mean he is 'categorically' correct. Hell, the Cambodian may be a genuine Buddha for all I know. There, happy now?

Edited by rametindallas

"He's not the Buddha, he's a very very naughty boy!"
with apologies to Monty Python's " The Life of Brian"

Sent from my Lenovo A3000-H using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

He is the Mesiah and I should know, I've followed a few.

Where would we be without monty. Such a good quote I may just have to watch life of Brian all over again.

Nice one.
  • Like 1

hypocrisy
hɪˈpɒkrɪsi/
noun

What I really said, "I respect everybody's belief system as long as it doesn't trod on my toes"

Besides, I never claimed he was a fake. My statement was, "by the information above, this guy is most certainly a fake". By using, "by the information above", I qualified my statement. Have you no understanding of a 'qualified' statement? 

If you qualify your statement, you add some information, evidence, or phrase in order to make it less strong or less generalized  http://vlc.polyu.edu.hk/academicwriter/argument/qualifying.htm

I'm sorry (for you), but I will not lower my writing standards for ignorant people or for those with little reading comprehension.

The intent of my post was to defend the abbot's point of view, in that he was following the teachings of Theraveda Buddhism, when he made his claim. By those standards, he is correct. That does not mean he is 'universally' correct. Hell, the Cambodian may be a genuine Buddha for all I know. There, happy now?

Stop changing your post, I was trying to reply thumbsup.gif

No offence meant, it was meant to be taken lightly. 

My point was only that those 'standards' are not really a proof. Otherwise I would be considered a god myself (clearly not one). 

No need to dumb down your post on my behalf, I think I can manage

Religion is so beautiful and so well thought out. 

I can't tell if you're being real or facetious, methinks the latter.

I was being feces-ish.

>I include Buddhism as a religion (contrary to those who defensively say it's only a philosophy)

No argument from me on that point. Buddhism is completely a religion, It shouldn't be given special status as a philosophy any more than Sufism or aesthetic practices in Christianity. Sorry, off topic for the thread at hand, but it had to be said. 

• Like 1

hypocrisy
hɪˈpɒkrɪsi/
noun

The intent of my post was to defend the abbot's point of view, in that he was following the teachings of Theraveda Buddhism, when he made his claim. By those standards, he is correct. That does not mean he is 'universally' correct. Hell, the Cambodian may be a genuine Buddha for all I know. There, happy now?

Stop changing your post, I was trying to reply thumbsup.gif

My point was only that those 'standards' are not really a proof. Otherwise I would be considered a god myself (clearly not one). 

No need to dumb down your post on my behalf, I think I can manage

Well, I do take offense when I am misquoted so you can call me a hypocrite in huge letters. A lack of a strong response on my part could be perceived as an admission that you were right.

BTW, where did I change my post? Another unfounded accusation? Why these attacks? It wasn't me that kicked your dog(ma).

Reading your most recent post, I think you still don't understand what I said and are responding to something that I never stated. Please go away!

I thought the whole point of Enlightenment was to finally "get it", and then never need  to come back. The world in its current state makes millions of people hope and pray that a Savior will appear, and lead us out of The Darkness. This vain hope sets the  stage for charlatans of every sort to do great damage.

• Like 1

"The prophecy of the arrival of Maitreya refers to a time when the Dharma will have been forgotten by most on Jambudvipa." Might have added "or misunderstood or represented. Way many practice here is not what Buddha taught, such as asking for lottery numbers at Wat, praying to Buddha to grant some wish. Seem clueless as to what Buddha taught. Since they are so ignorant, easy to be duped by people such as this character.

"It's impossible for Buddha to be reincarnated," said Phra Kru Sumon Thammakun, abbot of Koke Tabaeng Temple in Sa Kaeo province. "Buddha spent more than 500 lives before he finally reached Enlightenment, and he has already gone to Nirvana long ago."

Heck, everyone should be allowed to come out of retirement once in a while.

So the Dalai Lama is an imposter?

No, HH the Dalai Lama has never been in the nirvana state.  The current manifestation has said that he may choose not to reincarnate after this coming death.  The implication he gives is that he will choose to enter nirvana.  Nirvana has NO RETURN TICKET, enter, never return. 

A Buddha can chose to die and return but he/she can not reincarnate out or back out of nirvana.

The current manifestation also has never claimed to be a Buddha altho he has said that there can be several or many Buddhas alive in any era, including this one. 

As you should know, Red China has the avowed intention of claiming the next Dalai Lama as a cooperative in their govt.  Red China has also kidnapped the current Panchen Lama and put their own boy up in that position to try to control and undermine Buddhism.  The current Panchen Lama has been called the youngest political prisoner and Red China refuses to allow free people to see that personage. 

In maybe his most cool move, the current HH the Dalai Lama stated that if he chooses to reincarnate, IT WILL NOT BE UNDER RED CHINESE CONTROL.  Trumped Red China in a single sentence !

Advice to typists on this venue.... be careful with your words about this most holy man or obvious shame will rain down on you.

And the Christians await the second coming of Christ.

Then there's the return of the Hidden Imam.

They've all got something like that..

And it's all jam tomorrow.

Wonder why?

Edit: Not forgetting the Communists who had to go through that before the establishment of Socialism.

And the Khmer Rouge who insisted on going back to the stone age before starting to rebuilding something new.

Always the same. Jam tommorow.

Wonder why? 

Edited by BusyB

"He who does not know, speaks.  He who does knows, does not speak."   That makes it really tuff to find a self-proclaimed Buddha.

On the contrary, 'He who knows does not speak, and he who does not know speaks volumes!'

if people are so desperate for enlightenment try doing good deeds without expecting reward. 

Thais "tam Boon" expecting a reward.  these people are selfish and will never see enlightenment and are only participating in their own demise. 

enlightened people will never accept the public acknowledgment. it is always done in secret. between you and your maker. 

It's quite likely Siddhartha Gautama had darker skin since the Buddha was an Indian, at least it appears so in photographs of him.wink.png

The rest of your post is spot on, especially the good deeds comment. "Wots init for me?".

Those Buddha era cameras were quit the thing. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

If by chance he turns out to be real, then many of you would have miss a chance to enter haven. I would rather choose to believe first, just in case. I don't want to miss any chance, how ever slim, to enter haven.

Better go to church then, and a mosque, and the local synagogue to improve the odds just in case they're right.

If I was god (maybe I am god, can you prove I am not?), and you would say you believe me "just to be on the safe side", I would have you burn in hell, you opportunist!

It's quite likely Siddhartha Gautama had darker skin since the Buddha was an Indian, at least it appears so in photographs of him. The rest of your post is spot on, especially the good deeds comment. "Wots init for me?".

can you please post a few links to fotos of Buddha? ;-)

In Thailand, the Buddha usually has gold skin. Sometimes white, sometimes bronze, sometimes green. A craven image by any other name is......

People need an image (or multiple images) to bow down to, whether inanimate or in the flesh. It's human nature. I'd rather see people hoodwinked by a self-aggrandizing holy man, than a businessman who spends a billion dollars promoting sugar snacks to kids on Saturday morning TV, or a pharmaceutical huckster selling mind-numbing suicide-causing drugs to youngsters (such pills have been proven to be no more effective than placebos, and much more harmful).

And the Christians await the second coming of Christ.

Then there's the return of the Hidden Imam.

They've all got something like that..

And it's all jam tomorrow.

Wonder why?

Edit: Not forgetting the Communists who had to go through that before the establishment of Socialism.

And the Khmer Rouge who insisted on going back to the stone age before starting to rebuilding something new.

Always the same. Jam tommorow.

Wonder why? 

Unlike lower animals, man is driven to 'wonder why'. Hence, religion, cults, etc.. We all seek understanding and those who 'believe' think they have (exclusively) found it.

• Like 1

Don't be conned by this Cambodian monk, support your country and be conned by your own Thai monks

Name names or shut up.

Pongsak Parisuth, Phra Pativetviset, Wanchai Oonsa, Adhikan Arn Wattanadhammo,  Thammathorn Wancha, Viboon Pattanakit (he's the one who used donations to but 60 cars), Harn Raksajit and of course the famous flying monk, Luang Pu Nenkham Chattigo. Just as a matter of interest, how long have you lived in Thailand, if you didn't know about this stuff I'm guessing a day or two? Would you like me to find more for you? Why don't you ask some Thais about this? They'll probably give you some examples.

Don't get me wrong, They're not all criminals of course and mostly are good devout people but don't be so naive to think they ALL are.

His Holiness KhnomKhnom will get back to you after meditating.

They do meditating in the girly bars now? Cool!!!!