Do you like being the only farang at Thai events?

benj005

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Recently I was the only farang at a Thai wedding where more than 1000 people attended.

You kind of get used to being the only farang though, right?

All the staring and hearing the word 'farang' as you walk past.

You know they're talking about you but you just have to remain polite and turn a blind eye to it.

If you don't or if you can't get used to it, you're going to have trouble staying here for any period of time imo.

Once i was at such a gathering and all i heard was falang and falang. I did turn a blind eye to it for couple of hours.

At the end somebody was giving a speech of some sort and all were quiet till i heard the lady behind me whispering

to somebody next to her the falang thing. I turned very politely and with firm voice i said: " Mister Angelo Please"!!

The whole gathering cracked up lauphing!

When I was in n Korea I went to a few events where I was the only foreigner. Its the same I guess. People look at you and are curious about where you come from. Had good times. If I had to compare the two cultures I like the Thais more than the Koreans. They just seem a bit more friendly.

If it is a new experience it can be fun, after a while the smile wears thin.

Yes! Yes! I spoke with my fiancé about this very thing this week. I live in Bangkapi and often am the only white person everywhere I go. I'm okay with this but... I frequent the gym and on this day again had running shorts, workout tank top, and sneakers. I did not want to make a lunch stop in the middle of the mall with her; straight to gym, I preferred. I tried to explain that everywhere I go, all the time, I am the only white guy. This is fine with me as I'm not talkative and actually don't make friends easily. But having so many eyes on me becomes exhausting after a while, especially when self conscious I'm in skimpy dress. Perhaps others don't have this experience. If I must shift my privates, pick my nose, anything... someone is watching. There was a book and some studies done recently regarding "The sense of being stared at." This is a real phenomena, and it can get exhausting to those sensitive to this. "...after a while it [does] where thin."

When I was in n Korea I went to a few events where I was the only foreigner. Its the same I guess. People look at you and are curious about where you come from. Had good times. If I had to compare the two cultures I like the Thais more than the Koreans. They just seem a bit more friendly.

But, but...

morning_picdump_194_640_48.jpg

And how does it feel for a person of color to be at an event full of whites...

What does the color of the people have to do with it?

In my own case it isn't the race or color of the people at the event it is the fact that we do not speak the same language. My limited thai and their limited english makes for a boring party.

Yes, well, thank God for the sound of cats being beaten with microphones, hour after hour at 140 decibels, making talking unnecessary.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Been there ... done that

OP I know exactly the feeling.

Every time I'm going to a party I'm the only one sporting a beard. facepalm.gif

Same here.  Missus has been pestering me to shave it off for 25 years already.  I see they are coming back into fashion so I won't bother now.

By the way, been the only falang at Thai parties on and off for 25 years and the same at Vietnamese parties for the 10 years prior to that.  Doesn't worry me at all.  

Most of the time when i am the only Farang its with my wifes familly and as they all speak english ,apart from her mum and one sister ,its very rarely a problem ,also i am the only farang in our street ,and they all speak english , so again not a problem ,( i only mix with the better class of Thai ) its them who are the toffsbiggrin.png lol

My Thai was rated at less then a 5-year old.

My wife's Thai family are great but I feel like a "bobble-head" when the family & I get together.  As they talk in Thai, I hear my name every so often and everyone has a smile, including me.  But all I do is the "bobble-head" action.

Now my wife knows when I have had enough and tells me I can go (wherever - go and watch tv).  

Also, how about how Thai's can sit on their legs.  I do that for about 2-minutes and I have cramps from a lack of blood circulation.

It's all good ---

Edited by metisdead
Oversize font reset to normal.

I enjoy being the only foreigner....besides if there was another foreigner at the event....who would I talk to anyways?  The foreigners I have met face to face as well as on this site are the most antisocial f's I have ever encountered anywhere in the world.

• Like 1

I find that at events, The Thais are quite pleasant and sociable. Just because you hear the word "farang" a lot it is probably not said in an ill-intentioned way. I've heard the Thais speak about other farang they knew, good and bad, and the infamous "I wish my daughter would find a nice farang to marry.". I'm often asked if I know of a farang for someone's daughter, but I just laugh and say they're either married, dead, or drunk, and they get both the hunour and the message. But what I really love is when some little toddler shouts "farang, farang" and rushes over with a wei, which I return and talk with them for just a little while.

When I first arrived, I didn't like going to such events, but I've now adapted to the point where I rather enjoy them.

And lets not forget the Farang is fruit and gum so which one could they be talking about? :)

I used to go to every single function my wife asked me to go to. I was always the only farang in attendance. Since my Thai is limited, any kind of relevant conversation was out of the question. The few Thais that could speak some English were more interested in catching up on the latest gossip or shop talk with their peers than talking to me. I wound up always feeling so sidelined and uncomfortable that I finally told my wife that I would only attend if it was absolutely necessary. I now call those necessary events monkey shows and I'm the monkey. We go to a lot of public places where I'm the only farang and I don't mind that because were out and about and there's something to do. 

• Like 2

If you really want to make it interesting and you're a 'sweaty' go in a kilt and ghilli shirt and do it 'Scottish'.  Amazing the results you get.  !!!!!!!!!

I'm American. I go into events with my grills. :)

[attachment=277539:download.jpg] Edited by benj005

I have adapted to them pretty well. I avoid drunkards though, they are a pain in the ass. The thng that matters is to get along with people, try to speak to them and reply them in their language even your Thai sucks, they appreciate you try to speak Thai. I eat the same food as them, no problem with spicy food or odd looking stuff, I eat no problem and seems they like to see I can eat Thai food. They look usually surprised when I tell them I don't drink alcohol, seems most of them associate farangs with heavy drinkers. Always smile and use the Thai politeness, wai those you should wai, lower your head when you have to cross in front of people...

They are usually kind (except the drunkards who I avoid as pests) and they won't treat you as an exhibit if you don't look like one. Start the conversations, look interested about what's going on around you, ask about what you don't know... in a few words, try to know the world surrounding you, specially if you intend to live on it for long time.

• Like 2

It depends on the event. It's always nice to arrange seating with some Thais who want to practice their English, if you can't speak much Thai.

If there are one or two other farangs at the event they usually wont be too sociable. I, at least look over at them, nod politely, smile and wave. That's it. I've shown them I'm not aloof and acknowledged there presence. Some farangs are pretty creepy. wink.png

We do stand out...

As non-Thai speaking person... take a book with you, as all Thais will speak only Thai . They will speak ABOUT you, but hardly WITH you. Even when YOU are expected to be the one taking up the bill at the end.

when you know two languages, you are bi-lingual
When you know three languages, you are triple-lingual
when you know four languages, you are a genius
When you speak only one language, you are OR British OR Thai
  • Like 1

I like the rock star treatment I and my white pony tail get at the local Lotus.  A little boy had his father ask me if I am a cowboy;  another asked if I fought Indians in America;  another wanted to know the name of my rock band.  I also enjoy the admiring looks I get from Thai ladies who are also checking to see if I already have a Thai wife in tow.

However, sitting among an all-Thai language group or party is wearing and just lonely.  Oh well.

Edited by KhnomKhnom

It can be fun, if you know some of them, but I become embarrassed at my inability with the language.

Then there is the guy or two the worse for wear after a breakfast of Lao Khao introducing himself, but it mostly seems good natured.

And sometimes they are going out of their way to serve and accommodate you...........

So mostly positive for me.

• Like 1