Woman mauled by four 'hungry' pitbull dogs in Prachuap Khirikhan

webfact

Woman mauled by four 'hungry' pitbull dogs

BANGKOK: -- A 47-year-old woman was attacked by four pitbull dogs of her neighbour while she was entering her house in Prachuap Khirikhan Friday, Thai Rath Online reported.

Suwin Boonthiam suffered cuts at her abdomen, neck, face, head and right thigh and was recovering at the Prachuap Khirikhan Hospital.

She said the four dogs climbed over the fence to attack her while she was walking into the home with her niece. Her brothe-in-law helped free her from the dogs and she ran inside the house before rescue officials of a foundation came to take her to the hospital.

The dogs also mauled her dog in the house's compound to death.

The dogs were raised by her neighbour, a policeman, who was admitted to a hospital since Wednesday and the dogs have not been fed since then, Suwin told police.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Woman-mauled-by-four-hungry-pitbull-dogs-30240010.html

[thenation]2014-08-01[/thenation]

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I feel sorry for the woman and the dogs should be put down immediately. The media however loves bandying the word "pitbull" around when talking about any amstaff. bullmastiff, staffordshire terrier, bully X or any number of dogs that aren't pedigree American Pit Bull Terriers. Pit bulls are no dangerous than most other dogs of that size and stature and will only be violent to humans if trained to be. I have owned and bred A.B.P.T's for years and have never had a problem. Having said that though all my dogs are properly fenced in a totally enclosed area and generally tethered as well. It is the irresponsible owner who is at fault and anyone that would keep 4 pit bulls together in the same yard untethered deserves to be locked up.... oh but that won't happen because he's a cop and the poor lady that got mauled will never get a cracker I imagine. TIT

• Like 2

Pitbulls should not be allowed to breed...those that do have complete ar**oles for owners......
This woman will get nothing....the cop that owns them and in hospital will have no action taken against him.......if I knew where they were, I would be happy to assist in their euthenasia

• Like 1

Most neutered dogs are mellow and friendly, that is why in the US cases like this are not so common, and not many dogs are kept in cages or very small inclosures, or just limited to stay permanentely without much human contact. But, in Thaialnd I see many dogs inside homes with  very agressive attitude to passing people. I was always afraid that some day its can get lose for any reason, and attack somebody. I have more trust in street dogs walking by me, than dogs inside homes or cages barking at me...in special fighting breed like pitbulls.

I love dogs, very much, but It is very hard to understand why some parents leave small children around those kind of dogs......Just because not EVERY pit bull is agressive? You also can play with fire and never get burned....

In Las Vegas very well known guys trained tigers for years without any incident...treating the big animals like cat puppies...I was amazed with the exchange, with the show, and with the "lesson". Just took one second for one tiger remembers its instincts to ends the "show" forever.

• Like 1

Pit bulls should be eradicated. They are an unpredictable breed of dog and a pose a huge risk to the public and people that come into contact with them.

Although it is fact that any breed of dog can be dangerous, I still cannot see any good, logical arguments for why people would want to keep such powerful types of dogs as pit bulls?

In the States and the UK, pit bulls have become a status symbol for trailer park trash and I believe that certain people only keep these breeds as a means of intimidation and a sense of domination of what they consider as their territory. They believe that these dogs are an extension of their own characters, powerful and aggressive.

Anyone that keeps pit bulls that attack other people or other dogs should face the toughest penalties. 

And the owners almost never have the financial resources to take responsibility for the actions of THEIR dogs.  They are Banned in the City of Denver.  Just too many cases...yeah a little doxy can bite, too, but it's not going to be fatal.  Average dog bite settlement in the US is over 30,000 usd.  This lady will be lucky to get her medical bills taken care of.  Best wishes to her for  speedy recovery.

• Like 2

In most European countries such as Germany and Austria, these kind of dogs needs to be registered with proper insurance and its not allowed to let them go freely in public places or walk them close to schools, kindergardens, playgrounds; actually the gov puts very high taxes on them, so their number is limited as dog lovers dont want to pay an extra fee as they are considered dangerous, hence are put under very strict laws. Sorry for the lady, hope for a full recovery. And lucky the kid didnt get any scratches!
  • Like 2

I feel sorry for the woman and the dogs should be put down immediately. The media however loves bandying the word "pitbull" around when talking about any amstaff. bullmastiff, staffordshire terrier, bully X or any number of dogs that aren't pedigree American Pit Bull Terriers. Pit bulls are no dangerous than most other dogs of that size and stature and will only be violent to humans if trained to be. I have owned and bred A.B.P.T's for years and have never had a problem. Having said that though all my dogs are properly fenced in a totally enclosed area and generally tethered as well. It is the irresponsible owner who is at fault and anyone that would keep 4 pit bulls together in the same yard untethered deserves to be locked up.... oh but that won't happen because he's a cop and the poor lady that got mauled will never get a cracker I imagine. TIT

You really shouldn't tether your dogs. Its makes them anxious and has been shown to create aggressive behavior. I used to live in Atlanta and it was illegal to tether your dog there. There is information about tethering dogs on the humane society's website.

• Like 1

I have noticed over the last 4 weeks in Pattaya north area, the dogs have become more intense and nasty to other dogs and people. I don’t know if the bitches have come in season, but there is more chance of an attack at the moment. Only just this evening a Thai guy was surrounded by 5 dogs barking at him while he held his poodle over his head. Both frozen with fear. Four Thai taxi drivers 6 foot away did nothing, just watched emotionless.( I thought they must think he is falang ).I split it up by driving my motorbike between them and sounding the horn.

On Naklua road, just past portisan road, on the left there is some waste ground opposite the school .I stopped and counted 27 dogs chilling out there last Wednesday. There is no control here or any serious desire to deal with the problem. I am a dog lover and have always had dogs. But this situation needs a serious cull and the dogs need to be humanely disposed of. Humans are top of the food chain, our kids definitely come before wild dogs. 

• Like 1

Nothing that a good euthanasia shot wouldn't cure, the dogs themselves aren't born that way, they are made that way, mean as hell, by their owners. 

To a point, but like the Arabs, the inbreeding doesn't make them any better neighbors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDS21Ufpp44

http://news.msn.com/world/bali-to-continue-anti-rabies-dog-cull-as-gory-video-emerges

Edited by Thighlander

Pit bulls should be eradicated. They are an unpredictable breed of dog and a pose a huge risk to the public and people that come into contact with them.

Although it is fact that any breed of dog can be dangerous, I still cannot see any good, logical arguments for why people would want to keep such powerful types of dogs as pit bulls?

In the States and the UK, pit bulls have become a status symbol for trailer park trash and I believe that certain people only keep these breeds as a means of intimidation and a sense of domination of what they consider as their territory. They believe that these dogs are an extension of their own characters, powerful and aggressive.

Anyone that keeps pit bulls that attack other people or other dogs should face the toughest penalties. 

American Pit Bull Terriers by nature of a friendly breed.  They are kind, loving, playful animals but in the wrong hands they can indeed be deadly.  I agree with you to a degree - but I believe if you want to own am APBT you should be vetted in the same way that you are vetted for a gun.  Only responsible people should own APBT's.  Responsible people will socialize the dog at a young age, teach obedience from a puppy, feed twice a day and exercise regular.  I guarantee you then that you will have great APBT's who will not cause an issue.

This policeman probably keeps his 4 pit bulls in a small area with not enough room to play and never walks them.  This alone will make the animal frustrated and aggressive.  He probably chucks them scraps a few times a week and they are probably always hungry, which makes them more frustrated and I bet they have zero training which makes them unpredictable.  Dogs like this need an alpha make leader (the owner) without an Alpha Male leader to 'look up to' they will always feel insecure.  They need to know there leader has things under control and they have nothing to worry about..... and need to know right from wrong (only training can do that) They are essentially just wild animals when they are 'raised' the Thai way.

To answer your question....Why bother owning a dog that is so powerful and strong?  I don't know.... Why bother owning a 5 liter 4x4 Land Rover Sport when you live in the middle of a city?  Why bother owning a $30,000 Rolex watch when a $200 Seiko tells the time just as well?  Why bother owning an APBT when you can own a nice cuddly labradoodle?  Its the same point: Because the sheer power, engineering and brute force is something to behold with wonder and awe and that's sometimes why people own APBT's.  They are an impressive dog.  Its as simple as that.

And for anyone who thinks my comment of 'friendly breed' is wrong, go ahead and look up the American Dog Temperament guide.  You are officially more likely to be bitten by a Labrador than an APBT according to there stats.

I am not an APBT owner.  But I do have two French Mastiff's (Douge De Bordeaux) and they are quite often looked at as vicious scary animals by people out and about when I walk them both.  The Thais usualy look at them in amazement with a smile, but also look weary..... Most ferangs look at me as though to say "oh so your are THAT kind of guy are you?".  Stereotypes.  Ignorant and narrow minded. 

Edited by thelongshoot
  • Like 1

It's an interesting argument. Pit bull not being more dangerous than other dogs.  But how many dogs can break your bones with just a bite?  Not many.  My Dachshund can not.  Pit bulls are difficult breed to deal with.  One that most owners can not handle.  The problem is not with the dog, but with the owner.  In either case, it's a very dangerous breed.  And if an accident happens, the owner show bear the full financial responsibility.  And more.

• Like 1

I like dogs, but not when they attack people. I have no idea what the law is in Thailand about this, but I imagine the dogs are probably supposed to be euthanized after an attack like this, and that the owner must pay fines. Just talking about the written law, I doubt much will happen cuz the guy is a cop.

God, what kind of a jackass keeps pets and doesn't arrange to the have them fed? 

While these dogs can be cute and lovable, I'll go out on a limb and say that this jackass cop fellow wasn't raising the pitbulls cuz they're cute, he was raising some mean-ass attack dogs, as is evidence by how they behaved. Even if they were hungry, that is the behaviour of an attack dog. 

It's an interesting argument. Pit bull not being more dangerous than other dogs.  But how many dogs can break your bones with just a bite?  Not many.  My Dachshund can not.  Pit bulls are difficult breed to deal with.  One that most owners can not handle.  The problem is not with the dog, but with the owner.  In either case, it's a very dangerous breed.  And if an accident happens, the owner show bear the full financial responsibility.  And more.

As i said, pitbulls are strong dogs, just as many other breeds and when they do attack they do more damage.HOWEVER it does not mean they are any more aggressive .

You are absolutely correct in saying  pitbulls are NOT for every owner. There are easy breeds and there are breeds that need an experienced and disciplined owner.

But if dog irrespective of the breed is NOT fed and looked after, it will turn aggressive.

Some breeds require long walks, others do not.

Just as some need lots of grooming and others do not.

Many Thai i have noticed, simply do not know how to train or look after the dog. Even Vets do not know how to handle a dog.

See many Thai walk their dogs? i have not. Its either locked up in the yard and fed left overs or allowed to roam free with no supervision at all, not even calling them back if dog does anything wrong, such as chase cars/bikes or barking at neighbors.

• Like 1

Pitbulls are not killers nor are they born that way! The "killers" are the irresponsible owners that are not educated with the breed. I have always owned and trained large breeds to include Hybrids, none have gone out to kill, they have been people friendly. I currently own a Pitbull who lives very happy with his Thai mix dogs and even a Chihuahua who happens to be his best buddy..... My Pitbull will only kill you with his whipwagging tail and lick you to death! This breed should never be tied nor confined for hours in a cage, like any other dog, they need proper exercise and socializing....I feel terrible for what happened to this lady...these dogs were hungry and basically abandoned with no proper fencing to keep them confined. Hope for the full recovery for this lady......feel also bad for the fate of these dogs as well...... Edited by zmaf
  • Like 1

I like dogs, but not when they attack people. I have no idea what the law is in Thailand about this, but I imagine the dogs are probably supposed to be euthanized after an attack like this, and that the owner must pay fines. Just talking about the written law, I doubt much will happen cuz the guy is a cop.

God, what kind of a jackass keeps pets and doesn't arrange to the have them fed? 

While these dogs can be cute and lovable, I'll go out on a limb and say that this jackass cop fellow wasn't raising the pitbulls cuz they're cute, he was raising some mean-ass attack dogs, as is evidence by how they behaved. Even if they were hungry, that is the behaviour of an attack dog. 

My first thoughts exactly.

I agree with Starky that Pit Bulls are no more dangerous than any other breed if raised correctly.  My neighbor and his wife back in the States adopted one from a Rescue Society, and he turned out to be one of the most affectionate and playful dogs you could ever meet.  And he was terrified of one of my cats.  But that's ok, as most dogs were afraid of that particular cat as well. lol.  His name was Bruno, and he loved to play fetch with a tree branch damn near as big as my leg.  You definitely can't paint all PB''s with the same brush.

. . . if raised correctly.

A big if, particularly in Thailand where dogs are generally guard dogs and trained to be aggressive to intruders/strangers.

Large dogs like pit bulls are particularly dangerous because of their size and strength. There have been numerous instances of people being mauled to death by these animals, operating singly or in groups.

This woman had a very lucky escape.

I really cannot understand the mentally of people who keep such potentially dangerous animals or of the authorities which allow them to be kept. Is it paranoia or the desire to intimidate? Either way, the motivation is worrying.

At the very least, owners of large and potentially dangerous animals of any kind should have to pass a test, as one does for riding a motorcycle or driving a car, to show they can control their beast(s).