Woman mauled by four 'hungry' pitbull dogs in Prachuap Khirikhan

webfact

I agree with Starky that Pit Bulls are no more dangerous than any other breed if raised correctly.  My neighbor and his wife back in the States adopted one from a Rescue Society, and he turned out to be one of the most affectionate and playful dogs you could ever meet.  And he was terrified of one of my cats.  But that's ok, as most dogs were afraid of that particular cat as well. lol.  His name was Bruno, and he loved to play fetch with a tree branch damn near as big as my leg.  You definitely can't paint all PB''s with the same brush.

. . . if raised correctly.

A big if, particularly in Thailand where dogs are generally guard dogs and trained to be aggressive to intruders/strangers.

Large dogs like pit bulls are particularly dangerous because of their size and strength. There have been numerous instances of people being mauled to death by these animals, operating singly or in groups.

This woman had a very lucky escape.

I really cannot understand the mentally of people who keep such potentially dangerous animals or of the authorities which allow them to be kept. Is it paranoia or the desire to intimidate? Either way, the motivation is worrying.

At the very least, owners of large and potentially dangerous animals of any kind should have to pass a test, as one does for riding a motorcycle or driving a car, to show they can control their beast(s).

Just because i have a gun, it does not mean i will be going on a shooting rampagethumbsup.gif

Thai Ridgebacks are just as large but a much harder breed to train as it has a mind of its own.

If authorities held owners responsible, there would be less problems.

But do consider that in Thailand, you do not even have  parks for dogs to socialize.

Socializing is a huge part of dogs upbringing, not to mention tips and education owners can pick up from other owners.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pitbulls should not be allowed to breed...those that do have complete ar**oles for owners......

This woman will get nothing....the cop that owns them and in hospital will have no action taken against him.......if I knew where they were, I would be happy to assist in their euthenasia

Sorry I don't agree. Pitbulls are strong dogs but no more dangerous than a lot of other big dogs, Japanese Akitas for example. I do agree however that a lot of no-penis w**kers do gravitate towards them though. The answer (in my humble opinion anyway) is proper licensing of the owners. It's the owners that turn the dogs nasty. Not so many years ago in the UK it was Dobermans, Rottweilers and Alsations that got the bad rep but Greyhounds are far more dangerous towards small dogs and small children! The dog that inflicts the most bites on humans is the dachshund so size isn't always the reason for violence in dogs. I was walking my dog in Samui - a puppy English Bull Terrier and we got attacked by a pack of burmese construction workers dogs - ended up me and my dog having to go through rabies jabs etc. Most dogs in a pack can lend to the pack mentality. Having said all of that, the copper should be under the cosh for leaving his dogs without food and water etc.

• Like 1

The bloke who runs my local car wash in Borfai has two of them.  Im not sure if they are pure APBT's, they look more like the Razors Edge "Bully" type that are popular in Thailand but either way, the same family of dogs.  I must have been to his car wash 100 times at various times of the day and also, next door his brother has a grocery shop which is open at night and I have been there probably 300 times.  The dogs are in a small cage, with enough room to walk maybe 2 paces in any direction before having to turn around.  There are always a heap of flies swarming around the cage, it always stinks, and there is no decent ventilation or electric fan for the dogs.  It even has a corrugated iron roof so it must be pretty flipping warm in there.   In all those hundreds of times I have been to the car wash and shop I have never, not once, seen them out of that cage.  Its heartbreaking.  

If he let these dogs out, off a leash, I am 100% certain they would attack anything with a heart beat.  Owing to there horrible life, they have been made unstable, unhinged and frankly twisted dogs.  These are the type of dogs who attack and its for this reason that I think APBT owners should be vetted.  You should pay a yearly fee to keep them and the local council should have a dept which checks up on the owner of 'danger' dogs without notice every few months.  The yearly fee would go towards funding this dept.

Obviously, that's a massive LOL.  Something like that would never happen in Thailand but in my opinion if they did something like that here, there would be zero random attacks.

• Like 2

Dont have a dog nor cat. But you doglovers that protect pitbulls have to know what breeding is about. 

http://www.aspca.org/about-us/aspca-policy-and-position-statements/position-statement-pit-bulls

Probably not the wisest choice to join a discussion without having much knowledge on the matter but google links.

Were you aware that the cute rolly dog used for many adverts is a shar pei, chinese fighting breed?

Rhodesian Ridgebacks were also bread for hunting and killing lions, yet a very popular dog to have in the west , keep in mind it is strong and agile enough to take on a lionthumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Dont have a dog nor cat. But you doglovers that protect pitbulls have to know what breeding is about. 

http://www.aspca.org/about-us/aspca-policy-and-position-statements/position-statement-pit-bulls

Probably not the wisest choice to join a discussion without having much knowledge on the matter but google links.

Were you aware that the cute rolly dog used for many adverts is a shar pei, chinese fighting breed?

Rhodesian Ridgebacks were also bread for hunting and killing lions, yet a very popular dog to have in the west , keep in mind it is strong and agile enough to take on a lionthumbsup.gif

Breeding is about sorting out  specific behaviour in animals such as horses, cows, dogs etc. Pitbulls were breeded so they can fight bears etc and for their agressive behaviour. If you fight a labrador and hit it on the nose he will run. If you hit a pitbull he will just get more agressive. 

Breeding is about sorting out  specific behaviour in animals such as horses, cows, dogs etc. Pitbulls were breeded so they can fight bears etc and for their agressive behaviour. If you fight a labrador and hit it on the nose he will run. If you hit a pitbull he will just get more agressive. 

You do not own a dog but you want to claim to know what lab or pit would do?

Do not you think you sound a little ridiculous?whistling.gif

You hit a shit zu on the nose, and you run a risk of being beaten

Now do show me some evidence of the nonsense you just posted that Pitbulls were bred to fight bears?blink.png

Pitbulls were used in baiting bears, certainly not bred to fight with bears.

May be you should read up on basic sex education,

If i have a loving Pitbull female who gets "sexual' with my neighbors loving Pitbull, their off springs most certainly would not be killers.

However if someone used Pitbulls as fighting dogs and raised them to be fighting dogs, when those dogs mate, then yeah the offsprings would most likely be fighting dogs because they would be raised as fighting dogs.but that applies to any breed of any specie.

Reading the original post I was astonished! Why? Well for starters how many of you knew that Pitbulls are a banned breed in Thailand? I was trying to get my English Staffordshire Bull Terrier to Thailand, after three months of phone calls, emails, asking on forums etc, I couldn't get a difinitive answer one way or the other. A pet import guy asked for me at the airport and was told it was ok! I wasn't going to go ahead with anything until I got something in writing as if she got on the plane to Thailand and wasn't permitted to enter, I would have two choices... Have her destroyed or put her back on the plane to the UK, where she would have to go into quarantine for six months! Anyway... In the end I got an email saying that Pitbulls, American Staffords and any associated breed is banned! Love them or loathe them, everybody has their own views. For me, it's how a dog is looked after! Any breed of dog can be made into a "dangerous dog". Anyway, back to original post eh! So let's get this correct.... Policeman, pitbulls, banned breed, kills dog, maimed woman.... What will happen to the policeman? Probably nothing!

Reading the original post I was astonished! Why? Well for starters how many of you knew that Pitbulls are a banned breed in Thailand? I was trying to get my English Staffordshire Bull Terrier to Thailand, after three months of phone calls, emails, asking on forums etc, I couldn't get a difinitive answer one way or the other. A pet import guy asked for me at the airport and was told it was ok! I wasn't going to go ahead with anything until I got something in writing as if she got on the plane to Thailand and wasn't permitted to enter, I would have two choices... Have her destroyed or put her back on the plane to the UK, where she would have to go into quarantine for six months! Anyway... In the end I got an email saying that Pitbulls, American Staffords and any associated breed is banned! Love them or loathe them, everybody has their own views. For me, it's how a dog is looked after! Any breed of dog can be made into a "dangerous dog". Anyway, back to original post eh! So let's get this correct.... Policeman, pitbulls, banned breed, kills dog, maimed woman.... What will happen to the policeman? Probably nothing!

Really? Interesting, because a few years ago, in Pattaya, we were playing crazy golf when the owner's pitbull - which he was immensely proud of his 'ability' to control - started growling threateningly at my youngster. The dog got close to being hit in the skull with the golf iron in my hand, and would have been, had the owner not decided to come out and get it. Went to the police station to report it ... waste of time.

Pit bulls should be eradicated. They are an unpredictable breed of dog and a pose a huge risk to the public and people that come into contact with them.

Although it is fact that any breed of dog can be dangerous, I still cannot see any good, logical arguments for why people would want to keep such powerful types of dogs as pit bulls?

In the States and the UK, pit bulls have become a status symbol for trailer park trash and I believe that certain people only keep these breeds as a means of intimidation and a sense of domination of what they consider as their territory. They believe that these dogs are an extension of their own characters, powerful and aggressive.

Anyone that keeps pit bulls that attack other people or other dogs should face the toughest penalties. 

American Pit Bull Terriers by nature of a friendly breed.  They are kind, loving, playful animals but in the wrong hands they can indeed be deadly.  I agree with you to a degree - but I believe if you want to own am APBT you should be vetted in the same way that you are vetted for a gun.  Only responsible people should own APBT's.  Responsible people will socialize the dog at a young age, teach obedience from a puppy, feed twice a day and exercise regular.  I guarantee you then that you will have great APBT's who will not cause an issue.

This policeman probably keeps his 4 pit bulls in a small area with not enough room to play and never walks them.  This alone will make the animal frustrated and aggressive.  He probably chucks them scraps a few times a week and they are probably always hungry, which makes them more frustrated and I bet they have zero training which makes them unpredictable.  Dogs like this need an alpha make leader (the owner) without an Alpha Male leader to 'look up to' they will always feel insecure.  They need to know there leader has things under control and they have nothing to worry about..... and need to know right from wrong (only training can do that) They are essentially just wild animals when they are 'raised' the Thai way.

To answer your question....Why bother owning a dog that is so powerful and strong?  I don't know.... Why bother owning a 5 liter 4x4 Land Rover Sport when you live in the middle of a city?  Why bother owning a $30,000 Rolex watch when a $200 Seiko tells the time just as well?  Why bother owning an APBT when you can own a nice cuddly labradoodle?  Its the same point: Because the sheer power, engineering and brute force is something to behold with wonder and awe and that's sometimes why people own APBT's.  They are an impressive dog.  Its as simple as that.

And for anyone who thinks my comment of 'friendly breed' is wrong, go ahead and look up the American Dog Temperament guide.  You are officially more likely to be bitten by a Labrador than an APBT according to there stats.

I am not an APBT owner.  But I do have two French Mastiff's (Douge De Bordeaux) and they are quite often looked at as vicious scary animals by people out and about when I walk them both.  The Thais usualy look at them in amazement with a smile, but also look weary..... Most ferangs look at me as though to say "oh so your are THAT kind of guy are you?".  Stereotypes.  Ignorant and narrow minded. 

I agree 100%. I also have two mastiffs (Spanish). As they are originally bred to take on the Iberian wolf (male wolf 40kg, mastiff 80kg+), they certainly could hurt someone badly, but well and early socialized they only need to be introduced to newcomers. No different to pitbulls in that respect. Kids see them as massive teddy bears and our dogs tolerate their silly ways until they retire to some corner for some peace and quiet. They are indifferent to street dogs barking at them and forever confused as to why Thai dogs won't come near. They do "practice" fight each other (a sight to behold and inevitably ends in them licking each others wounds), so it's not that they wouldn't fight but one would have be stupid enough to climb the fence and ignore some of the loudest warnings (short of a firearm) to get bitten. Some aggressive (and brave) street dogs have nipped at our 'monsters' and they still think it's just play... tongue.png

I can't bear those dogs. There's invariably a sense of menace about them. And their owners too for that matter. Why anyone should be allowed to walk around in public with a dangerous animal off the leash, which if it attacked you or your loved ones, would be extremely difficult to pull off and may well kill you, beggars belief.
I once saw one tattooed pit bull owner sat in pub with his dog by his side. The owner's chest was puffed out, basking in the attention he was receiving as customers came up and nervously petted his dog, offering such niceties as "Isn't he cute" etc. The dog just sat there, expressionless, a giant pair of jaws on four legs. The only thing remotely cute about it at that moment in time was that it wasn't hanging off the end of someone's leg.
At the very least, there should be laws making it compulsory for them to be muzzled and leashed in public. Ideally, the entire breed, along with their tattooed owners should be placed in a giant industrial mincer, ground to a pulp, and eradicated.

• Like 2

I can't bear those dogs. There's invariably a sense of menace about them. And their owners too for that matter. Why anyone should be allowed to walk around in public with a dangerous animal off the leash, which if it attacked you or your loved ones, would be extremely difficult to pull off and may well kill you, beggars belief.
I once saw one tattooed pit bull owner sat in pub with his dog by his side. The owner's chest was puffed out, basking in the attention he was receiving as customers came up and nervously petted his dog, offering such niceties as "Isn't he cute" etc. The dog just sat there, expressionless, a giant pair of jaws on four legs. The only thing remotely cute about it at that moment in time was that it wasn't hanging off the end of someone's leg.
At the very least, there should be laws making it compulsory for them to be muzzled and leashed in public. Ideally, the entire breed, along with their tattooed owners should be placed in a giant industrial mincer, ground to a pulp, and eradicated.

You just described a well socialized and well behaved pit bull. Just like they ought to be, not kept in isolation and taught aggression towards strangers. And I would venture a guess that the ones that came to pet the dog were not the nervous ones, you were. And as far as your 'solution', sounds entirely sensible to me... blink.png

I am [for example] afraid of horses. Won't go near one. They are capable of causing grave harm to a human. I know because one nearly killed my friend in front of me. Still, I stop short of offering meat grinder as a solution to eradicate all horses and their riders. Even though they do make for a delicious sausage [without the rider].

Pit bulls should be registered as a lethal weapon with the police...right after the owner secures 1 million baht liability insurance to protect innocent people from the disfigurement and death they are known to cause all over the world...you pit bull owners and lovers...take your  best shot...statistics are not on your side...sentimental barf does not count...

I've known PB that are good and bad. I really like your solution but 1 Mill is to low more like 3 Mill. That should solve most of the bad ownership problems which is where  the majority of the problem lies.

Not sure why you had to do so much work to find out.

It's clearly written on every website , even Thai airways.

Tip for the future, and really unsure why agent did not tell you is to "change" dogs vaccination certificates to a cross breed.

Back to OP, pitbull are banned from being imported but not banned from being owned or bred.

I agree with Starky that Pit Bulls are no more dangerous than any other breed if raised correctly.  My neighbor and his wife back in the States adopted one from a Rescue Society, and he turned out to be one of the most affectionate and playful dogs you could ever meet.  And he was terrified of one of my cats.  But that's ok, as most dogs were afraid of that particular cat as well. lol.  His name was Bruno, and he loved to play fetch with a tree branch damn near as big as my leg.  You definitely can't paint all PB''s with the same brush.

I once saw a pitbull take some flowers over to its owner. Awwww

Does not change the fact that they are dangerous and have killed people. Wake up.

If you look at the stats, pit bulls are the most dangerous dogs to have.  Here's an interesting article:

http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics-study-dog-attacks-and-maimings-merritt-clifton.php

By 2017, pit bulls are projected to maul 305 Americans to death since 1998, the year the CDC stopped tracking fatal dog attacks by breed.

• Even if the pit bull category was "split four ways," attacks by pit bulls and their closest relatives would still outnumber attacks by any other breed.
  • Pit bulls are noteworthy for attacking adults almost as frequently as children. This is a very rare pattern, only seen elsewhere in the bullmastiff/presa canario line.
  • If a pit bull or rottweiler has a bad moment, instead of being bitten, often someone is maimed or killed; that has now created off-the-chart actuarial risk
  • Like 2

This is also interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_dog_attacks_in_the_United_States

Scroll down to this table:

Dog bite-related fatalities in the United States by category of dog(s) involved

If you look at the last 8 years, pit bulls now are #1.  They've taken over the top spot.

And hard to argue with genetics:

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/dog-behavior/truth-about-pit-bulls

Today’s pit bull is a descendant of the original English bull-baiting dog—a dog that was bred to bite and hold bulls, bears and other large animals around the face and head. When baiting large animals was outlawed in the 1800s, people turned instead to fighting their dogs against each other. These larger, slower bull-baiting dogs were crossed with smaller, quicker terriers to produce a more agile and athletic dog for fighting other dogs.

• Like 2

Pit bulls should be eradicated. They are an unpredictable breed of dog and a pose a huge risk to the public and people that come into contact with them.

Although it is fact that any breed of dog can be dangerous, I still cannot see any good, logical arguments for why people would want to keep such powerful types of dogs as pit bulls?

In the States and the UK, pit bulls have become a status symbol for trailer park trash and I believe that certain people only keep these breeds as a means of intimidation and a sense of domination of what they consider as their territory. They believe that these dogs are an extension of their own characters, powerful and aggressive.

Anyone that keeps pit bulls that attack other people or other dogs should face the toughest penalties. 

I agree with you totally.  In Australia, particularly my home state of New South Wales, they have brought in a dangerous Dog Act and this specific breed is on it, if fact, it is now banned owing to the number of vicious attacks occurring, especially on children.

The status symbol syndrome is alive and well there, whilst it is mainly the feral type (trailer trash) who have this breed which, no doubt,  is used as an extension of their manhood.  It has been proven that even the alleged gentlest of this breed have turned.  Pets that have been in the family for years suddenly have a brain snap and do terrible damage, one in fact actually mauled a young child to death.  Great dogs, I don't think.

It is such a shame that here in Thailand they cannot take a leaf out of the Farang's book and introduce laws to protect their citizens from the irresponsible attitudes of a minority who think the world is theirs and do not give a fig about the rights of others.  I wonder how the owner would feel if it was a member of his family and if has a family why didn't they feed the dogs and restrain then within their property.

These animals should be put down immediately and the owner dealt with by the law.  But wait, how could this happen, he is a member of the BIB after all.

• Like 1

Many of these types of dog are banned under the dangerous dog act in the UK

This has act been implimented for a reason - to protect people from them

Many people should not be allowed to own any dogs at all.

Having an Act requiring people to pass tests should be implemented to make sure an owner is mentally and physically fit to own a dog and is sufficiently educated on dog ownership.

Many of these types of dog are banned under the dangerous dog act in the UK

This has act been implimented for a reason - to protect people from them

One of my neighbors has pit bulls.  Huge things.  He is a body builder and likes wrestling with the big dog.  I have to admit, the first one he got is a very friendly dog.  But due to it's size, scary.

He decided to get another one.  What a mistake.  All they do is fight.  He has to keep them caged now or they will tear each other up.  His wife is now afraid to even be near them and they are not sure what to do.

His comment to me: I knew they were fighting dogs, but never thought it would be like this.  Duh.  Paid big money for both of them.

Tip for the future, and really unsure why agent did not tell you is to "change" dogs vaccination certificates to a cross breed.

Not sure it's really appropriate to be encouraging board members to break Thai import laws on banned and dangerous dog breeds by falsifying certificates.

Importing American pit bulls has been banned since 2005, and the dogs that are raised now are those bred in the country. These dogs, together with bull terriers, Staffordshire bull terriers, Rottweilers and Fila Brasileiro (Brazilian fighting dogs) are on the controlled dogs list in Thailand

Owners of these controlled dogs,are required to register their pets with the city's local district office,Thai law requires that the dogs must always be on a strong leash and muzzled when in public areas. Edited by Dee Kwa

Pitbulls are not born to be killing machines! The "killers" are the irresponsible, uneducated owners that do not know or understand this breed at all, therefore should not owned them!!! I have owned and trained large breeds to include Hybrids.......I have never had an incident even around my own children on any attacks. Now I do own a Pitbull and the only thing he would kill you with will be his whipwagging tail and licking you to death.....his buddies in the house, two mix female Thai dogs and a Chihuahua, who happens to be his best buddy!!! It is how you raise them and how you train them.....they should NEVER be confined to a cage for hours nor should they be tied down with heavy chains........they should be stimulated with exercise and much socializing and should have a proper good size yard to keep them safe and contained. These Pitbulls were hungry, frustrated and alone with no proper care or anyone to look after them! I feel terrible for the lady and hope and pray for her recovery.......as far as the dogs, feel sorry for their fate. I believe the owner should be held accountable for his misuse of this dogs and abandonment, should take care of this lady's pain and suffering. I don't blame the breed, I blame the owner's ignorance!!!

Back to OP, pitbull are banned from being imported but not banned from being owned or bred.

At the time (six months ago) it stated that Pitbulls and American Staffords were banned! No mention of English staffords! American staffords are twice the size as the English so hence the confusion. As for changing any documents, all documents have to be certified by a vet and indeed DEFRA. To be honest, after the initial heartbreak of not being able to bring her to Thailand, I'm kind of happy she isn't! We eventually found her a brilliant home with a lovely family from London, retired policeman and his wife that have always had staffords, responsible owners with no clear sign of any tattoos and they had a full set of hair!!