Farang Pad Thai vendor charms local Thais

webfact

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The list as long as your arm, of jobs forbidden to farangs is archaic and should be overhauled. In fact those here on retirement or marriage visas should be allowed to do any work as they are mostly intending to stay for life. Denying people the chance to make a living is ridiculous.

When Thais listen to me speaking Thai and find I am English they often ask me to teach... but when i say I am forbidden by law as I have no degree or certificates or work permit they do not understand and just think i'm lazy...

I think most on retirement do not want to work

I am a retired American teacher, experienced, jumped through all the hoops to get masters and 100+ credits above that and I would love to teach a few classes a week (not full time) and also would do for free. There are many here like myself, if one can judge previous topics about lack of teachers here. How about reforming work permit and making it independent of any specific firm? It isn't like you are playing for some football franchise....

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I really don't get it. How is he able to do that and not get deported? He doing this for years and I'm sitting here in my house afraid to get fined and deported for washing my car.

If you are sitting in your house afraid to wash your car, that attitude would probably count for a lot towards the difference between the two of you...........wink.png

As others have said though, due to the publicity raised, sitting inside would likely be the safest option to satisfy the labor people.

Edited by chrisinth

The whole Big deal is about he is FARANG does an odd job that Thai people do not see a farang works at this level of job in Thailand. Thai people are crazy about farang trend.

There is an old retired Japanese man who married a Thai woman who is a sidewalk food vendor. He helps his wife sell food but he sells Japanese food. People took pictures of him and posted on FB that how it started people to go watch him work, to take photos and buy his food. People rather buy food from him to his Thai wife when she cooks. Same thing with this Swiss man.

Edited by Maestro
Deleted irrelevant Thai text

Its a really nice story, one we would hear more of if Thailand would tone down some of its xenophobia. Immigrants are capable of being part of the culture if they are allowed to have the same rights and are treated as equals. Sadly I think this story may cause trouble for this guy, as the rules about forbidden occupations and work permits may come into play because of the publicity.

Still I admire they guy and wish him all the best.

Exactly, my first thought also was this article could end his happy times and for their customers who enjoy watching him cook if he does not have a "Work Permit". Journalists don't care. It's all about the story for them, even if it's a good story.

• Like 1

"Funny the locals are so impressed with his ability to cook possibly the world's easiest dish" Pad Thai may be easy to cook but really good Pad Thai is almost impossible to find. Often the noodles are all gummed up with too much oil, good luck to him.

So true. This is why I swear by the place I get my pad thai from. Prepared differently but great taste.

Nice story but Tony Smith can probably expect a visit from the Labour dept any day now!!

Secondly, this guy is Swiss, with a name like Tony Smith. Excuse my ignorance but it doesn't sound very Swiss.

Also, the comment...... "I have never seen any other foreigner with such talent."....what a strange thing to say.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but is that not like saying "I've never seen a foreigner who can cook," insinuating that only Thai people can cook Thai food??

I wonder how many of the worlds Michelin star chefs are Thai compared with how many are 'foreigners'?

The world's best Thai chef, who has also won a Michelin star, is an Australian. David Thompson's restaurant Nahm, in Bangkok, is consistently voted as one of the best restaurants in the world and the best Thai restaurant in the world.

Nice! And name 3 famous female chefs.... hmmm not impossible but also not so easy compared the plethora of famous male chefs around the world... Apparently men can do women's work better than women when they choose to...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Nice story but Tony Smith can probably expect a visit from the Labour dept any day now!!

Secondly, this guy is Swiss, with a name like Tony Smith. Excuse my ignorance but it doesn't sound very Swiss.

Also, the comment...... "I have never seen any other foreigner with such talent."....what a strange thing to say.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but is that not like saying "I've never seen a foreigner who can cook," insinuating that only Thai people can cook Thai food??

I wonder how many of the worlds Michelin star chefs are Thai compared with how many are 'foreigners'?

I thought the post stated that he "Worked " for a Swiss company don't recall reading he is Swiss. I work for an Irish company don't make me Irish.

And if he is partner in the restaurant he can still work with a work permit.

The world's best Thai chef, who has also won a Michelin star, is an Australian. David Thompson's restaurant Nahm, in Bangkok, is consistently voted as one of the best restaurants in the world and the best Thai restaurant in the world.

Yes, I thought this was the case which is what prompted my earlier post.

I've eaten at Nahm twice. While the service and atmosphere are superb, and the food is decent, it's nothing to rave about - I'd much rather eat street food or at the local Tops food court or in one of the me-so Thai restaurants in a shopping mall.

Nice change - A simple uplifting story.. Then you start reading the comments to dampen your spirits.

I agree with you, but I must admit while I was reading the story I was waiting for the "reporter" to mention his Thai nationality or something, kind of like the farmer guy who is actually a citizen now. So also true that the guy might have some trouble.

There is also a foreign guy who cooks chicken at the market in Phuket (Kathu) with his wife.

Last Time I looked any husband married to a thai has the legal right to help his wife in her business

a work permit is granted on application from the wife tor her spouse to help her

That is absolutely and completely false. You do not have the right to work without a work permit, even if it's only to help your spouse.

And no work permit would be granted for a job like this (less than 4 Thai employees and a job on the list of prohibited occupations (street vending).

Its a really nice story, one we would hear more of if Thailand would tone down some of its xenophobia. Immigrants are capable of being part of the culture if they are allowed to have the same rights and are treated as equals. Sadly I think this story may cause trouble for this guy, as the rules about forbidden occupations and work permits may come into play because of the publicity.

Still I admire they guy and wish him all the best.

Yes good luck to the fella, but unless he has obtained Thai nationality, immigration and the Labour Dept will probably both be paying him a visit....

Did the Jouno's think about the effect on his subject before posting the story?

On the other hand, if he is fluent in Thai, why is he insulting himself by calling himself Mr Potato? LOL

Edited by cyborgx

And then his problems started....... No working permit !!

there will be no problem,

I worked many years in my wife's company, with my skills I could help her in the business without a work permit,

also no show of money for the one year visa, we needed to show business and tax papers

Are you sure about this?? I ask because my wife have small shop and I want to help her but I'm afraid of getting fined and deported.

very sure, I have done that for 8 years before I retired, it has to be that your skills helps to generate more income for the family business,

you have to go with your wife to the immigration and clear that before you start to do something

Edited by Maestro
Removed part of post that referred to a removed post.
  • Like 1

some should write or teach to the thai that we just dont know how to cook, ..........that if they have a new airport , a metro , a skytrain, cars, tratctor, performant hospital material etc etc .... it is because of farang savoir faire....only.

i was also very impressed before to see that thais where impressed when i make my own electricity at home, paint my walls, make my garden or change the oil of my car.i know now that they think we are all kings in our country we do nothing but paying for everything.

now a farang making pad thai ..well ok ...and ..?.what a new and a complicated dish !!!!

in thai food, take out the chilly, take out the coconut milk and take out all their quimical cheap sauce or ingredient then tell me whats left to make a dish testy for 40 bath....also dont forget the use palm oil bah.gif to cook everything wich is the worst for human health starting to be prohibited in the CEE.

i know how to make an excelent khao pad..but not only......can i be interviewed on tv now ?

coffee1.gif