PLATINUM GROUP to open community mall named Wharf later this year

churchill

'President Somboon Wongrassamee said last week that the group is branching out upcountry with its first community mall named Wharf to be opened in Koh Samui by year-end.

It will occupy a 10-rai site in Bo Phut and offer 3,000-4,000m2 of retail space.

The mall will cost some Bt300 million and can accommodate about 135 tenants.

The group is also developing two hotels - a five-star villa hotel and a four-star, 100-room hotel - on another 10-rai site near the community mall at a cost of more than Bt600 million.

"We are signing a contract with a well-known hotel chain to manage our properties in Samui. The construction of both hotels will start by the end of this year," he said.

"Samui is an area with strong growth. The market has plenty of room for growth compared to Phuket and Hua Hin," he said.

The area has no community mall. Central Pattana Plc has opened Central Festival on a 37-rai site on Chaweng Beach. The mall is one of the most popular tourist destinations on the island.

"Our Wharf community mall will offer a great shopping experience in Samui,'' he said.

The group expects its community mall to be another place for customers to hang around. It offers a wide range of products and services to respond to all customer needs.'

continued …. http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Platinum-preparing-for-first-IPO-30240136.html

• Like 1

New shopping mall in Koh Samui

platinum-group-president.jpg

KOH SAMUI: -- The operator of Platinum Fashion Mall in Bangkok, the Platinum Group, is branching out to Koh Samui as part of their sustainable growth plans.

Somboon Wongrssamee, the President of the organization said that that company is spending 300 million baht on the development that covers a ten rai plot and will be known as the Wharf. Further plans are afoot to develop two hotels worth 600 million baht next to the Wharf that is located in Bophut and will sign a memorandum of understanding with a hotel chain to manage the hotels.

“We are interested to expand our business into Koh Samui because we see growth potential for both foreign and local tourists. The market opportunity is better than Phuket and Hua Hin, which are quite crowded,”Mr Somboon said. The project is important for the company because Samui is a world famous beach destination. It is hoped that the expansion will help boost Samui’s growing economy and harness the purchasing power of visitors from Australia, Russia and China.

The mall can accommodate 135 tenants and the group expects its community mall to be another place for customers to hang around and enjoy a wide range of products and services that will respond to their needs.

xstimes.jpg.pagespeed.ic.EXTclkoej2.webp
-- Samui Times 2014-08-04

Hopefully with a department store that doesn't only sell items for tourists (clothes and perfumes etc.). After the opening of Central Plaza Samui - as an expat living here - I was quite disappointed when I had to learn that for a "real" (=well-assorted) department store I still have to travel to Bangkok or Phuket.

• Like 1

Hopefully with a department store that doesn't only sell items for tourists (clothes and perfumes etc.). After the opening of Central Plaza Samui - as an expat living here - I was quite disappointed when I had to learn that for a "real" (=well-assorted) department store I still have to travel to Bangkok or Phuket.

As a Smui man for over 20yrs...I give it 2yrs from opening...it will shut down...trust me..seen to many business fail in that time...

Yes! And hopefully a place that has none of the stores and eating places that are found at almost every Tesco/Lotus and Big C I've been to. coffee1.gif

great news, I'm sure the local authorities have planned well in advance for enough future water and electricity supplies to cope with a much needed huge mall, another 100 rooms hotel and Villas probably with private pools ...

3000-4000 sqm of retail space, 135 tenants = 22-30sqm per store on average, so a pile of cell phone shops and a couple medium sized stores, or does the tenants include the food court but the leasable area exclude it?

Have to agree with other posters that I to was very disappointed with Central as well. As for central I understand many of the shops are not happy about there being walking street at Central 2 days a week, along with no generator when electric goes out. Worse place to be at especially if a monsoon comes or very heavy rain. Parts of walk ways and roofing already damaged.

As for the wharf pricing is way more cheaper than central. I know as they contacted my friend and seen the rates.really hope the wharf brings some better shops or something more better than central

As a Smui man for over 20yrs...I give it 2yrs from opening...it will shut down...trust me..seen to many business fail in that time...

If you are talking about the new Central Festival, I'll have a big bet with you on that ! What odds are you offering ?

• Like 1

reminds me somehow of the other one in Bophut, the one with the rusted cranes for years. And of the one on Ring Road before Macro, where there was just an advertisement board and some lonely piles. Btw, what about the one on the corner Chaweng Beach Road Southern end/Ring Road?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Exactly. Passing by almost daily. There was some kind of soft opening party this week. However, they did not even start to construct buildings.

All the development is near the beach fisherman's village, lots of shops completed.

• Like 1