Udon Thani mayor blesses gay newlyweds

webfact

Udon Thani Mayor Blesses Gay Newlyweds
By Khaosod English

14071378061407139253l.jpg
Maitri Chotipinit and Chirasak Klangboriboon

14071378061407139273l.jpg

UDON THANI - Two gay partners tie the knot in a Thai wedding ceremony in the presence of the mayor of Udon Thani province on Saturday night.

Maitri Chotipinit and Chirasak Klangboriboon have been dating for four years before they decided to get married, their friends and family at the ceremony said.

Their wedding, which took place at Mr. Maitri's house in Don Udom community, was blessed by Udon Thani Mayor Itthipon Triwattanasuwan and senior family members of the bridge and groom.

As he gave traditional blessing to the couple, Mr. Itthipon joked that he was very nervous at first because he did not know which person should be addressed as "bride" or "groom".

"I thought, I will call whoever dressed as man the groom and woman the bride, but they end up dressing in the same way!" the mayor said to the laughter of the guests, "I had to ask my deputy to know which one is the bride and which one is the groom."

He later struck a more serious tone and praised Mr. Maitri and Mr. Chirasak for coming out.

"Your wedding is a brave action," Mr. Itthipon told the newlyweds, "You are brave for expressing yourself to the society. It is a good example for other gay couples."

Mr. Maitri, a curator at Udon Thani Municipal Museum, said his and Mr. Chirasak's families welcomed his idea of marrying Mr. Chirasak. They first met when Mr. Chirasak, who was a college student at the time, visited the museum where Mr. Maitri was working as the curator, according to Mr. Maitri.

Thailand is known for a relatively high tolerance toward gays, lesbians, and transgenders, compared to other socially-conservative nations in the region, such as Myanmar or Malaysia.

Although Thai laws do not recognise same-sex marriage or civil partnership, many Thai gays and lesbians publicly married their partners and live as couples, while a number of gay rights activists have been pushing for a legal recognition of same-sex matrimony in recent years.

However, Thai gays and lesbians still face some levels of discrimination. In 2013, UNESCO reported that “nearly one-third (30.9%) of self-identified LGBT students reported having experienced physical abuse, 29.3% reported verbal abuse, and 24.4% reported being victims of sexual harassment because of their sexual orientation or gender identity/expression.”

Last month, ultra-nationalist ASTV Manager newspaper published a "parody piece" that fantasizes about a transgender anti-coup activist being raped in prison by other male inmates because of her protests against the military junta. The piece caused an uproar on social media, and the newspaper later removed the online version of the story.

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1407137119

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-08-04

Lovely to see.

Not actually legal.... and it would be interesting to know what sort of ceremony they had. Presumably a party at the house, and a public declaration of bring a couple. It won't give them any legal rights, despite the blessing of the mayor! I suppose there were monks involved too, though I don't see any sign of them in the pictures.

Kudos to the mayor for attending the wedding and giving his blessing to these two young men. Much happiness to them. Nice to see this kind of thing. Thailand seems very permissive when it comes to same sex relationships, transgender, etc. But, to see the mayor attending and blessing them in this public manner is great.

• Like 2

I do not know them. Saying congrats to them would be plastic gesture. This is a discussion forum. Not a wedding book.

What a sad attitude! Can't you just be happy that these two guys are happy? If not, better not post.

I am not interested in what you think of my attitude so don't waste your time insulting me. Not everyone feels compelled to express cheap saccharine sentiments about people they don't know and might not even like if they did know them.

Also it's absurd to play act that this couple is actually married. They are not married. They live in a country where that is not legal for them.

Regarding this actual story, be clear that things are not as great as they superficially appear for sexual minorities in Thailand.

Trans people are strongly segregated into a very limited range of professions, mostly demeaning ones.

They can't change their ID cards.

Even the comment of the mayor reflects a common theme of Thai ignorance about the DIFFERENCE between gay people and trans people.

These are two men presenting as men. Yet it is "funny" to suggest that one must be a man and one must be a woman. Mainstream Thai culture does "get" ladyboy types but they don't yet mostly get the idea of two MEN who are MEN being together as MEN.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

It's a discussion forum. With TOPICS. To ... let me check ... DISCUSS. That's what it is. It is not a wedding guest book. While I have no problem with people treating this only as wedding guest book (for people you don't know but whatever) I find it very questionable that posting ON TOPIC about the actual news story results in abusive personal attacks from predictable persons who have responded to me that way, again and again and again. Are you trying to BULLY me away from expressing my opinions? Why is that? If you don't like my posts, I suggest to put me on ignore. If you think I am too sad or mad or a bad man or make you sad or mad, again ignore my posts. Just because I don't always conform to happy face time and act like there aren't any substantive issues to talk about (which BTW were mentioned in the OP but NOBODY else mentioned them, again your choice) isn't an excuse to be intolerant of a perhaps outlying POV being EXPRESSED. BTW, even if I am as "sad" as you think I am, how is that relevant ... in your world view are "sad" people not welcome to express their opinions about topics on public forums?

BTW, Mr. Weston, you really don't want to know what I think about you. I won't post it because this is a forum to discuss TOPICS not nasty gossip about other posters.

Back to the actual topic, which is what I am posting here about, not to dodge bullets from the rude peanut gallery ...

from the OP, any response to that part of the story?

However, Thai gays and lesbians still face some levels of discrimination. In 2013, UNESCO reported that “nearly one-third (30.9%) of self-identified LGBT students reported having experienced physical abuse, 29.3% reported verbal abuse, and 24.4% reported being victims of sexual harassment because of their sexual orientation or gender identity/expression.”
Edited by Jingthing

It's a discussion forum. With TOPICS. To ... let me check ... DISCUSS. That's what it is. It is not a wedding guest book. While I have no problem with people treating this only as wedding guest book (for people you don't know but whatever) I find it very questionable that posting ON TOPIC about the actual news story results in abusive personal attacks from predictable persons who have responded to me that way, again and again and again. Are you trying to BULLY me away from expressing my opinions? Why is that? If you don't like my posts, I suggest to put me on ignore. If you think I am too sad or mad or a bad man or make you sad or mad, again ignore my posts. Just because I don't always conform to happy face time and act like there aren't any substantive issues to talk about (which BTW were mentioned in the OP but NOBODY else mentioned them, again your choice) isn't an excuse to be intolerant of a perhaps outlying POV being EXPRESSED. BTW, even if I am as "sad" as you think I am, how is that relevant ... in your world view are "sad" people not welcome to express their opinions about topics on public forums?

BTW, Mr. Weston, you really don't want to know what I think about you. I won't post it because this is a forum to discuss TOPICS not nasty gossip about other posters.

Back to the actual topic, which is what I am posting here about, not to dodge bullets from the rude peanut gallery ...

from the OP, any response to that part of the story?

Just give it a rest...

the lengths that some people will go to make every little thing about THEM....no one cares.....

with that said, I'm happy to sign the "guestbook" and apparently the majority of others are too...

Edited by Smurkster

What and apparently scores of other posters find questionable is the need to make long threads defending and explaining yourself, when mostly everyone else was simply happy to see two men having a ceremony to mark and celebrate their love for on another

I am not most people. Just me. Is only one type of response to topics allowed here without inviting being BULLIED by people trying to intimidate others into conforming? As gay people we know about bullies, people who don't accept sexuality diversity, who actively bully those who don't conform. If its wrong from them and it is, it is ALSO wrong from gay people who are out to insult and intimidate other gay people who don't have the same reactions to things that they do. I will go even further. There are LOTS of gay people who don't believe in monogamy at all ... or modeling heterosexual institutions at all ... in a TOPIC of this kind, those kinds of opinions should be just as welcome as the predictable CONGRATULATIONS.

Back to the topic, I think the joke of the mayor about how to respond to a wedding couple where one person wasn't dressed as a woman was RICH with rich possibilities of discussion. So I brought it up. If nobody else thinks its interesting, fine, but I do not deserve to be bullied for talking about actual CONTENT from the OP.

If my posts are too long for you ... sorry ... again, you are not required to read them.

Edited by Jingthing

Just give it a rest...

the lengths that some people will go to make every little thing about THEM....no one cares.....

with that said, I'm happy to sign the "guestbook" and apparently the majority of others are too...

Excuse me ... but I came on here to talk about the topic. I agree it shouldn't be about me. It's about the topic. But not everyone has the same cultural and political background as perhaps the "majority" posting here. There should not be only one acceptable way to respond to a topic, Otherwise, why not just have ROBOTS post instead of diverse INDIVIDUALS?

Just give it a rest...

Excuse me ... but I came on here to talk about the topic. I agree it shouldn't be about me. It's about the topic. But not everyone has the same cultural and political background as perhaps the "majority" posting here. There should not be only one acceptable way to respond to a topic, Otherwise, why not just have ROBOTS post instead of diverse INDIVIDUALS?

I'm curious as to why you think people are "Bullying" you

Edited by Smurkster

There you go again. Again, if the forum rules say the only allowed way to respond to a news story about a non-legal gay wedding that is filled with other content as well (including arguably ignorant comments by the mayor) and information about how it is not quite paradise for sexual minority Thais ... please inform everyone that in some kind of official memo.

Other than that, if nobody else is interested in the aspects of this story that I have highlighted other than me, fine.

Edited by Jingthing

Just give it a rest...

I'm curious as to why you think people are "Bullying" you

It gives him validation...

• Like 1

It gives him validation...

Dime store psychologist.

In response to my posting a little differently but still very much ON TOPIC, a gang up of personal insults. I see that as bullying behavior.

Again if people weren't interested in my on topic comments, that's fine. Ganging up on me because I don't confirm to posting only happy face pablum is in my view not fine.

It's almost as if nobody else actually READ the OP. Which is of course fine. But I did read it.

It really would be nice, just for once, if you could offer your congratulations to these two young men without the necessity of political qualification

What a sad attitude! Can't you just be happy that these two guys are happy? If not, better not post.

JT you really need a reality check, you must live a pretty sad life. I've been kicked in the balls a few times in my life but I'm sooooo happy I'm not you.
Edited by Jingthing