Udon Thani mayor blesses gay newlyweds

webfact

I do not know them. Saying congrats to them would be plastic gesture. This is a discussion forum. Not a wedding book.

When someone passes ... do you not mourn their loss, say a Forum member ... even if you heven't met them?

Lets make this topic about the subject of the OP.

Good Idea to stay on topic?

• Like 2

It gives him validation...

Dime store psychologist.

In response to my posting a little differently but still very much ON TOPIC, a gang up of personal insults. I see that as bullying behavior.

Again if people weren't interested in my on topic comments, that's fine. Ganging up on me because I don't confirm to posting only happy face pablum is in my view not fine.

It's almost as if nobody else actually READ the OP. Which is of course fine. But I did read it.

It really would be nice, just for once, if you could offer your congratulations to these two young men without the necessity of political qualification

What a sad attitude! Can't you just be happy that these two guys are happy? If not, better not post.

JT you really need a reality check, you must live a pretty sad life. I've been kicked in the balls a few times in my life but I'm sooooo happy I'm not you.

Sorry - not worth the effort...

Edited by sustento
  • Like 2

Hey, when I get married ... and I probably will in Thailand.

Do I have to wear something like this?

x14071378061407139253l.jpg.pagespeed.ic.

If so ... dizzy-smiley-emoticon-1.gif

It's Thailand. You can wear anything you want - the more outrageous the better. The Thais will love you - the farangs will mutter into their beards while drinking your free whiskey. Up to you! biggrin.png

• Like 2

God, what a bunch of sniping old queens on this thread. It's about two two guys who got hitched....sort of....not 100% legally, but hitched nonetheless. The Mayor gave his blessings.

I'm a bit plastic and I wish to congratulate them.

....And if they invited me up to Udon for a night, I'd like to give them both a little present. They might not like the present, but I sure would like to give it to them.

Now let's stick to the top, which can include political commentary on the situation for gay unions in Thailand.

By the way what does sticky rice mean?

• Like 2

God, what a bunch of sniping old queens on this thread. It's about two two guys who got hitched....sort of....not 100% legally, but hitched nonetheless. The Mayor gave his blessings.

I'm a bit plastic and I wish to congratulate them.

....And if they invited me up to Udon for a night, I'd like to give them both a little present. They might not like the present, but I sure would like to give it to them.

Now let's stick to the top, which can include political commentary on the situation for gay unions in Thailand.

By the way what does sticky rice mean?

Rice Queen - Farang who likes Asians

Potato Queen - Asian who like Farangs

Sticky Rice - Asians who like Asian

I think I got that right.

• Like 1

Hey, when I get married ... and I probably will in Thailand.

Do I have to wear something like this?

x14071378061407139253l.jpg.pagespeed.ic.

If so ... dizzy-smiley-emoticon-1.gif

It's Thailand. You can wear anything you want - the more outrageous the better. The Thais will love you - the farangs will mutter into their beards while drinking your free whiskey. Up to you! biggrin.png

Yep these lads must be Monday babies to wear yellow.

David48 let's hope you were not born on a Tuesday (pink)

Anyone see something wrong with the pic ? how did they manage to get a framed photo of themselves so quickly.

• Like 1

Isn't this an example of what gay rights is all about? It's about the freedom of gay people to live their lives their way as part of the whole community. These two guys are doing it the Thai way, not the American way or the British way.... but the fact that they can do it is something Thais can be proud of.

The incident doesn't tell us that everything is perfect; it's not. But gay rights is not just about the laws and regulations; it's in the long run about the way gay people are perceived by others. And the Mayor's joke about bride or groom is just that, a silly joke.

Yes, there is an artificiality about the whole thing, and an element of publicity-seeking, but so what? As I said in post 3 of this thread, before all the congratulations got going, it's lovely to see.

• Like 2

Isn't this an example of what gay rights is all about? It's about the freedom of gay people to live their lives their way as part of the whole community. These two guys are doing it the Thai way, not the American way or the British way.... but the fact that they can do it is something Thais can be proud of.

The incident doesn't tell us that everything is perfect; it's not. But gay rights is not just about the laws and regulations; it's in the long run about the way gay people are perceived by others. And the Mayor's joke about bride or groom is just that, a silly joke.

Yes, there is an artificiality about the whole thing, and an element of publicity-seeking, but so what? As I said in post 3 of this thread, before all the congratulations got going, it's lovely to see.

Good discussion points!clap2.gif

Not so hard really to comment on the topic instead of wallowing in personal insults directed at fellow posters, is it?

I agree this is a good example of the so called Thai Way.

I am not so sure about the joke. I think there is more to the joke than only a joke. It think it is very REVEALING especially coming from a man in power like that, who one would hope would be more educated than the typical Thai about such matters.

Edited by Jingthing

When I read the story I was really pleased for them, but at the same time sad that it's not legally recognised here in Thailand.

As for the Mayors comment "I had to ask my deputy to know which one is the bride and which one is the groom" to be honest it really annoyed me. Why do people think there has to be a male role and a female role, I guess he just doen't get it.

• Like 1

Not so hard really to comment on the topic instead of wallowing in personal insults directed at fellow posters, is it?

I am not so sure about the joke. I think there is more to the joke than only a joke. It think it is very REVEALING especially coming from a man in power like that, who one would hope would be more educated than the typical Thai about such matters.

If the ceremony made the couple happy then all power to them I say. In their mind they are married and that is enough for them.

I worry about all this political correctness we have these days. Analysing the societal effects of innocent jokes.

For sure "in their minds they are married" but I doubt it's enough for them. In reality it's all they can have. It would be interesting to ask them if they would like to be treated equally and recognised legally.

I too doubt the Mayor was joking, I would have to ask him to know for sure , but it would seem that many people think you have to have someone dressed as a male and someone dressed as a female for a partnership to be formed.Or one has to look like a male and one look like a female so the relationship can be understood.

When I was commenting on the "joke" before I was not addressing the "societal effect" of the joke. RATHER, I was pointing out that the joke REFLECTED the mainstream Thai lack of comprehension/acceptance of male to male relations when both males present as male. Thais have a tendency to group all gay men as transgender. Is this a cultural difference or is this just ignorance? Probably a combination of both, but I think more about ignorance.

Edited by Jingthing

When I was commenting on the "joke" before I was not addressing the "societal effect" of the joke. RATHER, I was pointing out that the joke REFLECTED the mainstream Thai lack of comprehension/acceptance of male to male relations when both males present as male. Thais have a tendency to group all gay men as transgender. Is this a cultural difference or is this just ignorance? Probably a combination of both, but I think more about ignorance.

From what I've experienced this is not just a Thai lack of comprehension, it's a general misunderstanding in most countries. I personally think it's just ignorance, and before anyone starts, I don't mean that badly.smile.png

Ignorance is not the same thing as being stupid. People who are ignorant have the potential to be educated.

I"ve found most people only want to be educated about what is important/ what relates to them, I don't think gay people are on the minds of many. But I do think that law makers or people in power should be interested in everyone and have a better understanding of different groups.

It's not any kind of priority in Thailand now. I can understand that but it's also frustrating. Minority groups seeking civil rights, etc. are almost always told there are more important things to work on now. I'm not really invested in this ... as far as I'm concerned taking any action about this is up the THAI sexual minority people and they just don't seem to show that many of them care all that much to do much of anything about it. So why should expats?

Nice of you to give me your imprimatur, JT.

(Sorry, Scott, but I WILL NOT be patronised)

These two guys had their special day, and if they read this thread, you have spoiled it for them.

That is the most absurd post I've read this year.

But thanks for the entertainment value of it.

It's like you think they are little babies or something.

It's quite telling really about you (not them), what you might think about the emotional intelligence of some random Thai strangers (assuming that you too don't know them).

Those charming happy smiling "natives" ... they can't handle too much truthiness ... crying.gif

That their marriage could be "spoiled" by musings of a stranger foreigner on an internet DISCUSSION forum ... again NOT their GUEST book.

Do you think they don't know they aren't legally married and that they can't legally marry in Thailand?

Do you think they thought the "joke" of the Mayor was remarkably witty?

Do you think they thought ... drats ... one of us SHOULD have worn a wedding dress?

Edited by Jingthing

No we just think you ought to keep your bile to yourself.

Aha ..."groupthink" is it? Why don't you put me on ignore? I think I know the answer. You enjoy the sport of constantly insulting me.

post-37101-0-32047500-1407365358_thumb.j

post-37101-0-74299600-1407365368_thumb.p

Edited by Jingthing

Two people professed their love for each other. You turn it into this?

Again, wake up and smell the coffee.coffee1.gif

This is not their wedding.

This is not their life.

This is a thread on an internet discussion forum.

I haven't turned anything into anything.

Again ... reality check. Internet discussion forum.

Edited by Jingthing

As far as they're concerned it is their wedding and it is their life. You're the one who turned a simple congratulatory post into yet another political thread.

There is political content in the OP.

There is information about discrimination against sexual minorities in Thailand ... in the OP.

It's your trip and your groupthink game to imply that ONLY congratulations posts are on topic.

Moderation has already commented political content is entirely acceptable here on this specific thread.

I agree in real life they had a wedding party. Never disputed that unless the news article is a fake.

This is a thread on an internet discussion forum -- this is not their wedding party.

This is a thread on an internet discussion forum -- this is not their life.

End of.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1