Udon Thani mayor blesses gay newlyweds

webfact

Note -- posting snippets of posts for brevity and to respond to only one part of a post is encouraged.

Posting snippets to intentionally and blatantly distort the meaning of a post by taking away context that would make that clear ... is very sleazy.

Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Note -- posting snippets of posts for brevity and to respond to only one part of a post is encouraged.

Posting snippets to intentionally and blatantly distort the meaning of a post by taking away context that would make that clear ... is very sleazy.

Cheers.

Thanks for the advice.

Which posts are you referring to?

That sort of information helps with our understanding.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

When I was commenting on the "joke" before I was not addressing the "societal effect" of the joke. RATHER, I was pointing out that the joke REFLECTED the mainstream Thai lack of comprehension/acceptance of male to male relations when both males present as male. Thais have a tendency to group all gay men as transgender. Is this a cultural difference or is this just ignorance? Probably a combination of both, but I think more about ignorance.

I have not come across any tendency for Thais grouping transgender and gay men, or indeed women together. I have found it much more likely for Westerners to do this.

Ignorance is not the same thing as being stupid. People who are ignorant have the potential to be educated.

Oh dear! Who is to say which attitude or behaviour is ignorant? It could be ignorant of farangs like yourself to be projecting your own expectations about marriage and gender roles onto others.

When I read or hear people saying 'potential to be educated' it sends a shiver down my spine. This has been the catch cry of despots throughout history.

• Like 2

Wow, I can only assume that JT has upset some of you in other threads as I personally didn't read any of his posts and think they were in any way offensive. Still it reminded me why I rarely bother to post on TV.

Don't know what the last 2 posts have to do with anything but it was a relief from the witch hunt.laugh.png

Can't be bothered to post any more of my thoughts, too many angry people on here for me.wai2.gif

• Like 1

Why or how, (not sure which) this Village Wedding was singled out as worthy for mention?

I'm sure it wasn't the only one this year?

Are the couple well connected?

Particularly photogenic? (I'm basically asking if they are hotties)

So why them do you think?

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Why should any marriage be legally sanctioned? It's a personal ceremony with symbolic value between two people and nothing more.

Well, as heterosexual marriages are legally sanctioned pretty much everywhere, the idea is that gay people should have the exact same legal choices and rights as their fellow citizens. Why not?

That's why I support marriage equality in western countries. But in Thailand most hetero marriages aren't legally sanctioned so it's not as relevant there.

I understand your argument but it's no reason to feel the need to imply that this couple is any less married than any other.

The problematic territory is when westerners feel the need to get involved as Thailand needs to break away from western imperialism, not embrace more of it. Western imperialism is a disease that needs to be resisted and human rights issues need to be sorted out by the country itself, not dictated by the west.

Edited by alex88