Koh Siray taxis protest against Phuket reorganisation

You've got to wonder how it came to be that they set up their illegal sala 5 years ago.  Did they go up to the Westin management and ask politely if they could sit outside of the resort and harass customers? Did they go to the local politicians and ask nicely if they could set up on public land?  I have a feeling that neither of the aforementioned happened, instead they passed over an envelope to local politicians and built said sala and have felt it's their right to control "their" resort.

Glad to see your earlier statement salas were not allowed on private land has been corrected.

Yes, sorry about that. But even then, setting up a mafia operation on public property shouldn't be allowed either, right?

I guess that would be OK if they didn't intimidate and threaten other drivers. Nor charge exorbitant prices.

Even on private property mafia operations should not be allowed :)

You've got to wonder how it came to be that they set up their illegal sala 5 years ago.  Did they go up to the Westin management and ask politely if they could sit outside of the resort and harass customers? Did they go to the local politicians and ask nicely if they could set up on public land?  I have a feeling that neither of the aforementioned happened, instead they passed over an envelope to local politicians and built said sala and have felt it's their right to control "their" resort.

Short of memory?

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Westin-Siray-Bay-reaches-agreement-Phuket-taxi/9402

Never read that article, but reading the story and looking at the comments it seems they were pretty much forced to make an agreement, which is what I said in the statement above. Seriously, do you think any resort wants these uneducated, dirty ruffians hanging around the entrance to their five star resort, when they already have an agreement with another company.  This "agreement" was made under duress, guaranteed.

Never read that article, but reading the story and looking at the comments it seems they were pretty much forced to make an agreement, which is what I said in the statement above. Seriously, do you think any resort wants these uneducated, dirty ruffians hanging around the entrance to their five star resort, when they already have an agreement with another company.  This "agreement" was made under duress, guaranteed.

Yes, it for sure was.

Funny to see those commentor's names as a blast from the past BTW.