I'm in Thailand on a double entry. Can someone please help me.

My questions are...

1. I'm an American and 44 years old. I arrived in Thailand June 19th. My visa expires August 17th. That's at the two month mark. I was going to go to immigration to extend for another month. Can I still do this? Also, would I have to cross the border or could I just go to the immigration office.

2. After my 3 months are used up (September 17) and the first entry is completed, can I still go about and do the second entry? That means I would have an additional 3 more months. In the past you could cross the border and come back in. Can I still do this? Is there another solution? 

3. I was going to teach in Korea late August but my job fell through today. Now I'm thinking about staying in Thailand and finding work as an English teacher. My FBI background check has all been completed for my job in Korea that fell through. Can I still pursue a job in Thailand? I know the paperwork is time consuming, but I have it all done. Secondly, I was hoping to use my 2nd entry to give me more time to find work and to allow the correct paperwork to go through. 

I know changes are coming so I want to be ready. I've never overstayed in Thailand. This is actually the first time that I've been here longer than 2 weeks. 

Thanks for the help.  

Edited by benj005

1. yes, extend at immigration. You are looking at the "allowed until" date, not visa validity "entry before" date.

2. yes, check "entry before" date

3. yes.

Edited by paz

1. yes, extend at immigration. You are looking at the "allowed until" date, not visa expiration "entry before" date.

3. yes.

Paz, 

Is this visa stuff manly due to people overstaying?  

Thanks. 

PS... If it's due August 17th would you suggest that I go a day or two earlier? 

Also, do I have to cross the border for the double entry visa?  Is there another solution? And if I have to cross the border how long do i need to stay in the other country before I can recross into Thailand? Is train a good option? Is it safe?  

Edited by benj005

1. yes, extend at immigration. You are looking at the "allowed until" date, not visa expiration "entry before" date.

3. yes.

Paz, 

I'd rather not discuss again on why and the reasons of anything, there are many other threads for that. What matters to you, is that you're fine.

3. yes.

Paz, 

I'd rather not discuss again on why and the reasons of anything, there are many other threads for that. What matters to you, is that you're fine.

That's fine. Thanks again. I just had two more questions if you could please look at them. 

You can leave on 17th or before, as you like better. You cannot activate a visa entry without leaving country.

On how to do a border hop there is many threads already, at the end anyone likes his own way or makes different recommendations.

Some people take the bus, some take the train, some ride bikes and some flies, whatever suits you more.

You can leave on 17th or before, as you like better. You cannot activate a visa entry without leaving country.

On how to do a border hop there is many threads already, at the end anyone likes his own way or makes different recommendations.

Some people take the bus, some take the train, some ride bikes and some flies, whatever suits you more.

Last questions Paz, 

1. How about the 30 day extension on my first entry. Do I need to cross the border or can I just get it done at immigration?

2. For the second entry, do I need to stay the night if I decide to cross the border and come back? Or can I just cross and stay for 30 min and come back into Thailand? 

Thanks again. 

Edited by benj005

1. How about the 30 day extension on my first entry. Do I need to cross the border or can I just get it done at immigration?

2. For the second entry, do I need to stay the night if I decide to cross the border and come back? Or can I just cross and stay for 30 min and come back into Thailand? 

1. answered before, again here: extend at immigration.

2 you can come back immediately.

1. answered before, again here: extend at immigration.

2 you can come back immediately.

Great. I'm just a bit nervous and I'd like to make sure. 

Thanks again. 

No problem. I would rather be a bit nervous about finding a teaching job that provides you with the full legal paperwork, AND decent pay AND decent treatment and job location.

Good luck.

No problem. I would rather be a bit nervous about finding a teaching job that provides you with the full legal paperwork, AND decent pay AND decent treatment and job location.

Good luck.

Yep. Hopefully I can find something decent. I know the pitfalls of teaching ESL in Thailand. I worked as an ESL teacher in South Korea for two years, so I know what can go wrong when you're at a bad school.  

I'm currently in Bangkok. I've been looking at a few ESL jobs and most start at $35k baht a month.  I'm going to have to work a second job so I can hopefully take home something. Maybe do some tutoring.