Can I follow both Christianity and Buddhism?

benj005

I think as a normal. sound in mind, person you are allowed to have your belives in what ever matter that suits you, as long as you don´t want to kill people because they don´t have the same faith as you.

I personally belive in the easter Bunny and Santa Claus, because these guysI actually have met in person. And I get presents from them every year as long as I am a good and loving boy...And they do not threat me with a eternity in hellfire if I don´t belive in them. (But I do, because I like candy, eggs and presents...).

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not a strong Buddhist and I consider Buddhism as a way to live my life ...I don't pray everyday and visit temple once a yr before Chinese New Year...however, my daughter and husband are Roman Catholic , they go to church some times on Sunday ....iv been with them a few times and I found out both religions shared a lot in common.which means the teachings tell us to be good bla bla bla........etc.....however, in my husband's point of view , money isn't important and God gives him everything, which I believe I need make money by myself and nobody gives me anything unless I work for it, money is extremely of importance ........thus, this is the only thing we aren't on the same page.... U could follow both religions and draw the positive sides and enjoy ur life .

I think only you can answer this question. The bible clearly says that you can only worship one God. If you believe the bible and you follow it, then I think you know the answer to your question. Christianity and Buddhism are two different religions that follow different leaders. If you are still unsure, go talk to the spiritual leaders/friends in your life. Sometimes it helps to hear from the people in your life that you trust.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Both guys said they didn't want people to "pray" to them. Prayer is the same as meditation in that you focus your mind. Prayer "for" something goes against both religions, since "wanting" something is selfish.

"Both guys said they didn't want people to "pray" to them."

Is that really true in the case of Jesus? He did say, for example, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." (John 14:6)

In what part of the Bible does Jesus explicitly say not to pray to him?

[Note: I no longer consider myself a Christian]

Small variation: " I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Dhamma,Tao,God ...except through my teaching.

I said that once but nobody listened,well let them burn that'll teach em

The Teaching of Jesus (He never said he is the "Christ") was misused by .....

In the Koran thereare only 4 lines of the role of women, historically founded - not enough men, they kill themselves in some wars, Worthy men

have to care for 4 women in accordance with her number one wive.

What is the role of women in Muslim countries now? Some ASEAN countries excepted.

The authentical (Pali) Teaching of the Buddha is admitted by interrnational Buddhologues (with some small discussions).

The culturel Buddhism in the two millenums and his appearance in Asia is an other point. for discussion.

happydude303, on 05 Aug 2014 - 02:43, said:

It does not hurt to learn about other faiths, but hay remember what Jesus said about false prophets and worshiping idols of gold and men wink.png ps I'm a Christians to but I do respect the teachings of Buddha I can't find anything bad in it and some of his teachings are very close to what the big man said,shame they never met as I think Buddha would have found enlightenment

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Buddhism is not really a religion, it is simply a way to live your life, Buddha himself said he didn't want any idols/icons or for people to pray to him... so my answer is a resounding "YES", you can be both Buddhist and Christian at the same time.

The attached 3 page article provides a really good explanation of the differences. Jesus said no man can serve two masters (Bible: Matthew 6:24).

In the Bible, John 14:6 Jesus told him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

A Christian believes Jesus is God and places his faith in him and the God's Spirit then lives in him and helps him live in God's way. The Buddhist follows the practices of a man who teaches self help. Christians believe that since the first man Adam sinned, people are born with a sin nature you might describe as selfish. Jesus told us to love God and love our brothers the way we love ourselves - no self involved here.

Romans 10:9 If you declare with your mouth that Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. Romans 10:10 For one believes with his heart and is justified, and declares with his mouth and is saved.
To the OP, a biblical Christian is quite different from a cultural Christian. A comparison will be shared. Keep on searching for the truth (there is only one).

Buddhism on the other hand does not demand blind allegiance from it's adherents. It merely suggests a way of living which should benefit the adherent and those around him.

I guess it's more of a philosophy. In my opinion and putting it bluntly, religion is superstitious rubbish and a jumble of primitive beliefs designed to control people.

It's passionate and irrational. Buddhism is more a practice of contemplation and inquiry that doesn't depend (or demand) on belief in a God, soul or supernatural being and as such, is not a religion.

Thank you for your view.

Doesn't Buddhism teach the cycle of countless re births suffering in Samsara, including eons suffering in hell realms, until one embraces and practices the teachings with which to escape to the state of Nibanna?

Doesn't Buddhism teach the existence of Citta, awareness beyond the conditions of time and space, which allows it to blanket everything. Far is like near, for concepts of space do not apply.

All that appears is a very refined awareness suffusing everything throughout the entire universe. The whole world seems to be filled by this subtle quality of knowing, as though nothing else exists, though things still exist in the world as they always have?

Doesn't it also need considerable faith to devote oneself to years of Mindfulness & Meditation practice to achieve the levels of Samadhi required in order to investigate body, & mind/consciousness and through this break free from Samsara?

Would you say these teachings are a philosophy or a religion (belief in existence beyond death, albeit conscious awareness)?

The line between religion and philosophy (especially metaphysics) is very blurred. For example, Plato postulated a domain of Forms or universals that existed in a domain separate from our reality but which 'explained' our categories (e.g., there is an ideal bottle of beer 'out there somewhere' and the bottles we drink from are just imperfect shadows of this ideal). Is this philosophy or religion? Plato also talked about how, after we die, we go to the domain of Forms before returning to life in another body. Does that make him a religious leader? Pretty blurry in those parts...

Yes but Plato did not say come to my house every Sunday, worship me, give me any spare money you've got or you're going to hell.

Buddhism on the other hand does not demand blind allegiance from it's adherents. It merely suggests a way of living which should benefit the adherent and those around him.

I guess it's more of a philosophy. In my opinion and putting it bluntly, religion is superstitious rubbish and a jumble of primitive beliefs designed to control people.

It's passionate and irrational. Buddhism is more a practice of contemplation and inquiry that doesn't depend (or demand) on belief in a God, soul or supernatural being and as such, is not a religion.

Thank you for your view.

Doesn't Buddhism teach the cycle of countless re births suffering in Samsara, including eons suffering in hell realms, until one embraces and practices the teachings with which to escape to the state of Nibanna?

Doesn't Buddhism teach the existence of Citta, awareness beyond the conditions of time and space, which allows it to blanket everything. Far is like near, for concepts of space do not apply.

All that appears is a very refined awareness suffusing everything throughout the entire universe. The whole world seems to be filled by this subtle quality of knowing, as though nothing else exists, though things still exist in the world as they always have?

Doesn't it also need considerable faith to devote oneself to years of Mindfulness & Meditation practice to achieve the levels of Samadhi required in order to investigate body, & mind/consciousness and through this break free from Samsara?

Would you say these teachings are a philosophy or a religion (belief in existence beyond death, albeit conscious awareness)?

The line between religion and philosophy (especially metaphysics) is very blurred. For example, Plato postulated a domain of Forms or universals that existed in a domain separate from our reality but which 'explained' our categories (e.g., there is an ideal bottle of beer 'out there somewhere' and the bottles we drink from are just imperfect shadows of this ideal). Is this philosophy or religion? Plato also talked about how, after we die, we go to the domain of Forms before returning to life in another body. Does that make him a religious leader? Pretty blurry in those parts...

Yes but Plato did not say come to my house every Sunday, worship me, give me any spare money you've got or you're going to hell.

Jesus did not say that either. Perhaps those who do not believe in Jesus share that myth. :)

My Christian/Catholic upbringing doesn't allow me to pray to Buddha.

Can I follow Christianity and use the workings of Buddha for my time on earth? A lot of people tell me that Jesus and Buddha were alike. I like what the Buddhist religion has to offer. Could I follow the teachings of Buddha but maintain my Christian upbringing?

Thanks.

My understanding is that those who pray to Buddha don't understand his teaching.

One should not worship him but respect him for his Dharma.

The power of the Buddha lies in the regular practice of his teaching.

Real Buddhists do not pray TO a metal or stone object, figure of Buddha. Buddha said do not pray to objects and not to him. Pray for world compassion and for your own bigger compassion...YES!

Thank you for your view.

This a great question that could be debated endlessly with no resolve as there is no proof of after life etc. My view stands, Buddhism does not insist on worship, it embraces the learning of one self.

My Christian/Catholic upbringing doesn't allow me to pray to Buddha. Can I follow Christianity and use the workings of Buddha for my time on earth? A lot of people tell me that Jesus and Buddha were alike. I like what the Buddhist religion has to offer. Could I follow the teachings of Buddha but maintain my Christian upbringing?
I never seen so many different answers to a question. laugh.png
It seems the Buddha offered some very explicit advice to those who were uncertain about what path or practice they should follow. It's known as The Kalama Sutta (Angutarra Nikaya 3.65, Sutta Pitaka, Pali Canon).
For those not familiar with the Kalama Sutta, the story is as follows:
Gautama Buddha, whilst travelling and teaching after his enlightenment, came across the village of Kesaputta in Northern India where he was greeted by a clan of people known as the Kalamas. These Kalamas were very skeptical people because they had experienced frequent visits from various holy men in the past, each offering different teachings which were often in conflict with what other holy men had said. The Kalamas wanted to know whose teaching they should follow and how they could be sure that one particular teaching was truer than another.
This is what the Buddha is reputed to have said to them.
1. Do not believe in something merely because it is reported.
2. Do not believe in something because it has been practiced by generations, or has become a tradition or part of a culture.
3. Do not believe in something because a scripture says it is so.
4. Do not believe in something because you believe a God has inspired it.
5. Do not believe in something because a teacher tells you it is so.
6. Do not believe in something because the authorities say it is so.
7. Do not believe in hearsay, rumour, speculative opinion, or acceptance to logic and inference alone.
8. Help yourself accept as completely true only that which is praised by the wise and which you test for yourself and know to be good for yourself and others.
I would say, if you are a 'devout' Christian and are thinking of adopting Buddhist practices, you might find some conflict. However, if you are not particularly devout, I see no reason why you should not take from whatever any religion has to offer, that seems reasonable, sensible, moral, right, and good for yourself and others, and, in a sense, create your own unique religion.

This is an important question, frequently pondered. HH the Dalai Lama has said it is possible to be both Buddhist and Christian but I think he was just being generous.

Differences.......

Buddhism has no god head, no god.

Buddhists do not proselytize.

Buddha was completely a man and has no god properties like the Biblical Jesus. And, said that, too.

B. do not pray TO a god, not a sub god, and not to metal statues.

B. pray for loving kindness and compassion for self and the world.

B. is not monolithic and has many slightly different sects.

B. has no overall checker for purity of belief, not like Catholic Pope or that dogma.

B. has no heaven and its hell is very different.

B. has no Bible.

B. came to the real nature of the physical universe way ahead of current quantum physics which now is coming to agree with Buddhism.

B. has no way of wiping out sin via priests, and has no sin, only responsible guilt. And, the good and bad you do is not judged by anyone but yourself and the precepts, and it sticks to you over many lifetimes with no easy way to get rid of the bad record you have.

I must be forgetting many more differences, but I know I can successfully argue that the two belief systems are fundamentally incompatible and can not be joined without significant twisting of one or the other or both.

I am Tibetan Buddhist.

The Five Precepts and The Ten Commandments

Buddha’s teachings give us Five Precepts, a code of conduct that we should follow to make our lives good. The Five Precepts are:

1. You should not harm any living creature by action, word or thought.

2. You should not take that that is not given.

3. You should avoid sexual misconduct.

4. You should not speak wrong words.

5. You should not consume intoxicants that will cause weakness of mind and control.

The great western religions Judaism and Christianity also have a code of conduct, The Ten Commandments. The commandments are:

1. I am the Lord thy God.

2. Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

3. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.

4. Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy.

5. Honor thy father and thy mother.

6. Thou shalt not kill.

7. Thou shalt not commit adultery.

8. Thou shalt not steal.

9. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.

10. Thou shalt not covet.

Looking at these codes of conduct we can see that they are very similar.

The “First Precept” and the “Sixth Commandment” both are about respect for life.

The “Second Precept” and the “Eighth Commandment” are the same.

The “Third Precept” and the “Seventh Commandment” are also the same.

The “Fourth Precept” and the “Third and Ninth Commandments” are about not lying or swearing.

The “Fifth Precept” teaches us that to follow the teachings requires mindfulness and self control. Intoxicants can weaken us and lead to wrong behavior.

As for other similarities, in Buddhism we are taught to respect, to honor, and to trust “The Triple Gem”, The Buddha, Dharma, and the Disciples. The “First, Second and Fourth Commandments” teach about respect for God and tradition.

In addition, a basic teaching in Buddhist doctrine is that “Desire is the cause of despair”. To desire is to covet. This is the Tenth Commandment.

Dharma teaches us to have respect for our family, as does the “Fifth Commandment”.

It is easy to see from this that although Buddhism is an eastern religion it has many similarities to western religions.

The major difference is that Buddhism teaches us that all things come from “Nature” while in the Judeo-Christian doctrine God is the creator. Perhaps it can be said that “Nature is God and God is Nature”.

I see a universal God. Most religions claim that they are the true religion but that is a controlling man speaking. I believe in faith - a personal connection with God. God revealed himself to different cultures in different ways. I believe people of faith ( a personal connection with God ) know and love God. Onecannot put a box around God and define him. He is greater than any man can imagine. It is my belief that everything in this world is an expression of God and we are part of that God. So my answer is YES, you can follow God in any expression he chooses. If in your heart you are praying to God then it does not matter if you are in a synagogue, a church or a temple. Just listen to God and do not let yourself be misled by men who seek power.

The Five Precepts and The Ten Commandments

Buddha’s teachings give us Five Precepts, a code of conduct that we should follow to make our lives good. The Five Precepts are:

1. You should not harm any living creature by action, word or thought.

2. You should not take that that is not given.

3. You should avoid sexual misconduct.

4. You should not speak wrong words.

5. You should not consume intoxicants that will cause weakness of mind and control.

The great western religions Judaism and Christianity also have a code of conduct, The Ten Commandments. The commandments are:

1. I am the Lord thy God.

2. Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

3. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.

4. Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy.

5. Honor thy father and thy mother.

6. Thou shalt not kill.

7. Thou shalt not commit adultery.

8. Thou shalt not steal.

9. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.

10. Thou shalt not covet.

Looking at these codes of conduct we can see that they are very similar.

The “First Precept” and the “Sixth Commandment” both are about respect for life.

The “Second Precept” and the “Eighth Commandment” are the same.

The “Third Precept” and the “Seventh Commandment” are also the same.

The “Fourth Precept” and the “Third and Ninth Commandments” are about not lying or swearing.

And Christ said, I have but two commandments for you.

1. Love God above all others.

​2. Love your neighbour as yourself.

The “Fifth Precept” teaches us that to follow the teachings requires mindfulness and self control. Intoxicants can weaken us and lead to wrong behavior.

As for other similarities, in Buddhism we are taught to respect, to honor, and to trust “The Triple Gem”, The Buddha, Dharma, and the Disciples. The “First, Second and Fourth Commandments” teach about respect for God and tradition.

In addition, a basic teaching in Buddhist doctrine is that “Desire is the cause of despair”. To desire is to covet. This is the Tenth Commandment.

Dharma teaches us to have respect for our family, as does the “Fifth Commandment”.

It is easy to see from this that although Buddhism is an eastern religion it has many similarities to western religions.

The major difference is that Buddhism teaches us that all things come from “Nature” while in the Judeo-Christian doctrine God is the creator. Perhaps it can be said that “Nature is God and God is Nature”.

B. has no way of wiping out sin via priests, and has no sin, only responsible guilt. And, the good and bad you do is not judged by anyone but yourself and the precepts, and it sticks to you over many lifetimes with no easy way to get rid of the bad record you have.

Speaking of Catholicism specifically, I don't think any Buddhist could believe the concept of Original Sin.

Absolutely no follower of ANY Christian denomination could believe the Buddhist doctrine of anatta (the denial of existence of a permanent self-entity, i.e. no soul).

Buddha teaches us to seek enlightenment and to give up the selfish pleasures of this world. Christ taught us to pray to his father not to him. He taught us the Lord's prayer. Christ like Buddha lived a simple life without riches and would agree with the precepts of Buddhism.

I can see nothing that is conflicting here.

Just do not discuss this with religious people but rather surround yourself with people of faith.

Far out, 4 pages of comments.

Seems religion is a hot issue.

I was brought up as a Christian but I don't remember ever making a deal where I couldn't go into another faiths church.

When we pray I reckon we are looking into ourselves and not looking outwards to a god or an idol.

Buddists dont pray to the idol, they use that to only focus their thoughts..Therefor there is no praying to (false) idols that Christens seem so incensed about.

Scientists generally don't believe in a god but that does not make them correct, just more logical.

Regards

One day the devil going to meet BUddha and his disciple stopped him from visit the Lord Buddha as the reason given that the devil are enemy of the Lord.

The devil question his disciple that his the Lord of enlightenment do have hated in his heart, this question shock the disciple as his master treat everyone equally .

TO be Buddhist not to hate devil as it do bad to us but the devil is within us only , Heaven and hell are not choice by God but yourself.

A person with not religion belief but a very kind and sincere man do you think he will punish in hell if he don't know who is God?

Christ and Buddha are waiting us there but we only knowledge of man thinking which is best for us.in Buddha taching looking down or talking bad on others religion are also a great sins.

OP

Turn on your TV , watch the latest news from Iraq and hopefully you will realise the inherent folly of slavishly following an ancient belief system. Personal religious faith is fine , just find the mix that works for you and lead a happy life , no need to wear it like a badge of honour, thats what causes the problems.

Speaking of Catholicism specifically, I don't think any Buddhist could believe the concept of Original Sin.

Absolutely no follower of ANY Christian denomination could believe the Buddhist doctrine of anatta (the denial of existence of a permanent self-entity, i.e. no soul).

Pop. Bang. It's burstable but something like the edit below is not...

1. The archetype "Buddhist" of which I know couldn't believe in my own concept of Original Sin.

2. I fail to comprehend how Christianity is compatible with the Buddhist doctrine of anatta.

Could I follow the teachings of Buddha but maintain my Christian upbringing?

I think so, but it partly depends on what you think the teachings of the Buddha are. I don't see any problem in practicing the Eightfold Path. In fact I think it's an excellent way to live to reduce suffering to a minimum. I'm not talking about the suffering of tragedies and disasters, of course, but the suffering of being disappointed in the world around you. There's no requirement in the oldest Suttas (I prefer the Pali Tippitakha, as followed by the Theravada tradition in Thailand, Sri Lanka, and Burma). None of those books require the rituals observed at their temples by Thais. I would urge you to get and read "The Story of Buddhism: A Concise Guide to its History and Teachings," by Donald S. Lopez, Jr. It's a good summarization of the vast philosophy/religion that is Buddhism. He's written other books which I heartily recommend.

I think the problem would come on the Christian side. It's true, you don't need to light incense and candles in front of a statue, or put food there, or prostrate yourself. I never had any problem doing that, but I'm not a christian. I think you would have some problems with the fact that in Buddhism there is no sin. Some actions are wholesome and some are not, but the results do not come from some judgement by a capricious and unpredictable god, they are the working of natural law. You might have problems with the idea that the world of samsara (the physical world) has no beginning, was never created, so there is no need to believe in a creator god. You can if you want to, though, so I guess that's not insuperable. That's one of many topics the Enlightened One never discussed because it was not relevant to ending suffering.

I don't know how much you already know about Buddhism but one resource I like is http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/8foldpath.htm From there you can find lots more. Google is your friend. Bear in mind that the practices you find at the temples here in Thailand are not, strictly speaking, Buddhism. They are an amalgam, and have added bits and pieces from the Vishnu cult of Brahmanism and from the old animism/paganism the Thais brought with them from China. I find I quite like going to temple ceremonies, but remember that the Buddha warned that prayer and ritual are fetters on the quest to end suffering. Good luck on your spiritual quest.

If someone is praying to Buddha, they are missing the point. If someone prays through Buddha, as in Jesus as intercessor for Christians, then this can have limited utility. In the existing model of Buddha's time it was recognized that different personalities had different approaches toward god, toward enlightenment, and once well along the way the tools they used as their preference became meaningless, and they grew beyond them. Example: Vedanta Bahkti yoga employs such worship of the divine and intersession as a valid means to explore and approach the divine. People would pray to a deity, or a construction that kept them focused- Shiva, Vishnu, etc. In Karma yoga people explored their approach to god through works. In Gnana they employed the tools of the intellect. Raja employed various tools of psychology.

These were not necessarily different schools or faiths, they were valid means to access the same end, and they did. It realistically noted different people process differently. Likewise, it is reasonable for someone, I suppose, to pray 'through" Buddha but the very concept of him becoming deified and then interceding in worldly events is contrary to Buddhism, and cancels out the concept of the Bodhisattva.

What you note as similarity between Christ's explicit and implicit teachings are the universal pearls of great price that are apparent to any person who has traveled the road of Gnana, Karma, Bakhti, Raja, Buddhism, Christianity, etc. The point where the various vessels used to transport us are left behind and in their place is the ineffable. It is here that the language of the greats are similar because the noise of the inner journey has ended, and in its place is the Dharma, the Logos, the Word. In this context Buddha and Jesus can be considered similar as men. However, it is at this point where Christian dogma goes further and states Jesus was the incarnate God [Him]Self. Therefore praying to Jesus is both direct and intercessory for Christians. Christians nevertheless do employ a similar model of praying through saints to intercede. In this manner Christians can actually pray earnestly to the Mother, a particular saint, etc., and the utility of accessing higher states of compassion, love, awareness, indeed, even enlightenment, are attained.

I assert that the manner and conduct of your life can draw heavily from Buddhism while still being a Christian. The tools are priceless in developing your inner world, and its interactions with the outer world. (I am one who actually does belief the Christ was influenced by Buddhism). However, in the final orthodoxy, you cannot pray "to" another, even as a temporary tool, if deified. This is blasphemy to Christianity. Your question is very curious. Thank you for sharing with us.

You say you would like to explore what the Buddhist religion has to offer. You need to understand that Buddhism is not a religion. Period. Nobody will get petulant because you don't get down on bended knee and worship some mysterious/fictitious being in the sky (personally I've never understood how this all knowing, all understanding entity would get the hump if you didn't get down on bended knee, but that's another thing altogether) There are plenty of religious Buddhists - people that follow Catholicism etc, particularly in America. They believe in their God but also believe in the teachings and life set of Buddha and why not? If you're offending your local priest or whatever by studying Buddhism and following it's teachings then you really need to find a more enlightened Church my friend! Thais offer prayers up to Monks usually wanting some kind of good luck in return and some do it for respect but it's not part of the religion as it's not a religion.. Go where your heart takes you.

I'm sorry, but I think you're being overly dogmatic by asserting that, "Buddhism is not a religion. Period." Apparently you're not thinking of the Pure Land sects in Japan, or the Tibetan version. I would say the Mahayana tradition is more a religion, with its many bodhisattvas to pray to. Even here in Thailand what they do is not much different from what I think Catholics do at the Stations of the Cross. Certainly both my late wives prayed regularly and believed that what they did in this life meant they would go to heaven (from which they would eventually die and be reborn) or hell (from which they would eventually die and be reborn again). It's complicated, and people have been adding to it for and interpreting it for 2500 years.

Firstly, great question.

I think the answer is all down to you and your faith.

Buddhism is actually not a religion as such because it is based on the teachings of a man who believed in living lit in a particular way to reach enlightenment. I personally think Buddhism has some universal acceptance because of this, it doesn't require you to have much faith as there is no belief in a creator so it is less "supernatural" and can be easily digested as an accepted way of living a moral and decent life.

Christianity is a religion because it believes in a God, the creator of the universe and follows the teachings of his son, Jesus. The bible was written as a collection of testimonies to the life of Jesus and it contains all you need to know about living your life and how to love your fellow man and live a life in accordance to Gods Kingdom Principles. So, if you are a Chrisitian and have faith in God why would you feel the need to start reading the teachings of a man? After all you have the bible and Gods word to live your life by.

Is it that you are having a lapse of faith in your own religion and are looking for alternatives? If so you probably need to review where you are before you decide to dive into anything else.

In my personal view I think Buddhism is a cop out. It relies on the principle of Kharma and it doesn't really talk about consequences of the bad things that people do. Also, where did this universal law come from? So, the idea is live whatever life you want, absorb some of Buddha teachings or all of the teachings, its up to you,, you have unlimited lifetimes to get it right and reach enlightenment,,, please,,,

My view is that you should strive to live a good life, love your fellow man, help people in need when you can and treat people with decency and respect. The Christian bible teaches of these things and lets be honest most of the laws developed in our man made legal system are firmly routed in Chrsitian beliefs in many countries of the world today. So, even if you do not have believe in God these are good things and if you live this way you will likely be happier, if you are right and there is a creator then you go to heaven,, if you are wrong and there is no creator then no harm done, you have lived a good life, helped people on your way and will hopefully die happy.

It sounds to me like you have some thinking to do, good luck with whatever you decide.

Archived