With a Thai Elite visa can a person work legally as a digital Nomad ?

I have a friend who would like to work here but wants to do everything legally. I saw there were some suggestions that with a Thai Elite visa a person can do business?

Maybe I am confused about this but does that visa allow a person to work legally as a digital Nomad, gaining no payments from Thailand, conducting no business in Thailand and with no funds from overseas coming into a Thai bank account as payment for services?

Without a work permit, a person can not work in Thailand. Even voluntary work (for no pay) can not be done without a work permit in Thailand.

The "can I work online in Thailand without a work permit" question (to which the answer has always been "NO") has been asked so many times that it's beginning to get tedious. Can we pin a topic or something?

Does it make logical sense? Who knows. But the law is the law, and is not always known for making sense.

I think the majority of people that buy the elite card would be digital nomads, Can you work on it..of course...can you work legally.. NO. Many people will buy it and work for companies overseas, By the law if you are here on holidays and respond to a work email then you are working here illegally!

There is a big difference between someone on a vacation, or here for conference/business purposes, answering emails or skyping a meeting and someone pretending to be on vacation working here yearlong.

That's my point, precisely - there is a big difference, but it isn't reflected in the actual law.

• Like 1

I think the majority of people that buy the elite card would be digital nomads, Can you work on it..of course...can you work legally.. NO. Many people will buy it and work for companies overseas, By the law if you are here on holidays and respond to a work email then you are working here illegally!

Digital Nomads are too cheap to buy it :) And why would a Nomad like to have a 5 year visa? Isn't he a nomad?

• Like 2

The card would facilitate being in the country for the purpose of business meetings, but not necessarily to work.

Having said that, Thai Elite claims that one of the 3 key benefits the program is 'connections', to quote the website: "Our member wishing to do business in the country, we assist in facilitating each and every one of your needs. Whether it is a simple work permit or coordinating with the Thailand Board of Investment or any other government agencies, we are here to help you make it happen with the right people"

What that actually means is unclear, but it would indicate that the Elite Card is appropriate for business travellers, and having it woud help grease the wheels in obtaining documents required for working.

• Like 2

If you are wealthy enough you can try to open a limited company and apply to a business visa, I am not tried that hard but while you can there is a big number of thing that you can do but none of them legal and really Thailand is not a safe country to invest money due to that very inconvenient laws and the political instability.

I've never seeing a digital nomad being accused to work illegal in any country, and technically in any country is illegal, but there is no a specific fine or a way to say, you can ask directly in immigration office what you can do, I asked in 5 countries and it's ok to work as a digital nomad or to be just a nomad using tourist visas.

Just avoid some red flags, never do a work for locals, never send a regular amount of money outside the country, and avoid use national banks to keep your money.

I read some news that the military put the hands on many banks looking for illegal business here in Thailand.

Just put this on the table we are not milking the system the system is milking us, we are expending all of our money in the countries were we travel or live so is not that bad, Thailand is getting bad so think in another countries in the area, this is not the default country for digital nomads.

• Like 1

Without a work permit, a person can not work in Thailand. Even voluntary work (for no pay) can not be done without a work permit in Thailand.

The "can I work online in Thailand without a work permit" question (to which the answer has always been "NO") has been asked so many times that it's beginning to get tedious. Can we pin a topic or something?

Does it make logical sense? Who knows. But the law is the law, and is not always known for making sense.

''Without a work permit, a person can not work in Thailand. Even voluntary work (for no pay) can not be done without a work permit in Thailand.''

but plenty of people do and have worked in thailand without a WP and this is why there is a current change in the system happening.

I have a Thailand Elite Card and a work permit linked to my Thailand Elite Visa.

This allows me to travel as frequently as I want and to work legally in Thailand.

Perhaps you can share some insight on if you got the work permit through Thai Elite?

A friend who also has Thai Elite and travels to Bangkok every 2 month just for vacation and stays 2 month every time, he was questioned by the immigration for being in Thailand too often. Friend is in the 30s, immigration officer does not believe he is rich enough to do this.

I have a Thailand Elite Card and a work permit linked to my Thailand Elite Visa.

This allows me to travel as frequently as I want and to work legally in Thailand.

Perhaps you can share some insight on if you got the work permit through Thai Elite?

A friend who also has Thai Elite and travels to Bangkok every 2 month just for vacation and stays 2 month every time, he was questioned by the immigration for being in Thailand too often. Friend is in the 30s, immigration officer does not believe he is rich enough to do this.

There have been threads about this. Thai Elite help you if you like to have WP, Driving licence open bank accounts and similar stuff. Read the Thai Elite card thread. And read on their web page also

I have a Thailand Elite Card since 2006 and spend most of my time in Thailand.

My accountant has arranged for a work permit on my Thailand Elite Visa.

It was very easy and I never had any problems with this set-up.

I do not actually work but I still prefer to have a work permit because I do not want to look over my shoulder all the time when I do something.

The Thai Immigration Officers have always been very friendly whenever I entered or left the country because I have always used the Thailand Elite Airport service.

• Like 2

The MFA Tourist Visa Applications states that one must sign the following declaration:

You declare that the purpose of your visit to Thailand is for pleasure only and that in no case shall you engage yourself in any profession or occupation while in the country.

Signature of Applicant _______ Date _______

Hmm, I am a digital nomad living in Thailand. I opened a Thai Limited company 9 years ago with a joint venture and pay myself a salary. Non-B visa and work permits are easy to obtain. It's very easy and the right thing to do.

Edited by faxx
  • Like 2

Hmm, I am a digital nomad living in Thailand. I opened a Thai Limited company 9 years ago with a joint venture and pay myself a salary. Non-B visa and work permits are easy to obtain. It's very easy and the right thing to do.

How much is tax you need to pay (%) and how many thai workers you have?

I don't believe your Thailand Elite friend was "questioned" by immigration.

I am a member since 2003 and probably spend 85% of my time in Thailand.

The rest of the time I travel abroad for very short periods of time.

In one year I probably pass 15 or more times through immigration at the airport.

I was never ever asked anything...

The best way to enjoy Thailand is Thailand Elite membership.

But, as it was said, you cannot work without a work permit.

Now, if some members are abusing the system, they should be punished, the same as those visa runners and ED visa holders who take advantage of the lax rules, or those working without work permit.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by gerry1011
  • Like 2

I'm prepared to be corrected, but I thought that work permits were tied to the employer, who must have a physical presence in Thailand and supply a mountain of paperwork, financial statements, etc. in order to justify your work permit. If correct, then I don't see how anyone could ever get a work permit in Thailand to work for an overseas employer.

• Like 1

You can't mow your lawn or wash the car. You can't paint your house or do laundry.

Watering the garden is out. No trimming trees or cutting brush.

and the ultra silly:

By the law if you are here on holidays and respond to a work email then you are working here illegally!

These are urban myth idiotic comments which are perpetuated by the p*ss takers and all have been rebutted on this forum repeatedly.

There is a big difference between someone on a vacation, or here for conference/business purposes, answering emails or skyping a meeting and someone pretending to be on vacation working here yearlong.

Before worrying about updating and clarifying the law, how about googling "common sense"?

'nuff said

~

You forgot flushing your toilet after dropping a turd or putting on your own clothes, cutting your own fingernails etc. All work under that definition, LOL. But yes you are right, seriously though, some idiots with nothing better to do constantly scaremonger other posters with all sorts of nonsense with a kind of "holier than thou" attitude.

I think someone who is a digital nomad, an intelligent one at least will keep their mouth shut, won't post silly questions on Thai Visa and realize that they are here as tourists/retirees whatever and there's just no visa for their purposes. As long as no aspect of their business involves Thailand then they aren't working here. However, they have to realize that they will somehow need to qualify for a visa of some sort should they want to remain here for a long time. Nuff said.

well ! friend i was looking for such suggestion for stay and work in thai . so can you suggest me how could be possible for me. i am engineer working in new delhi. having more than three year experience in IT company .

well ! friend i was looking for such suggestion for stay and work in thai . so can you suggest me how could be possible for me. i am engineer working in new delhi. having more than three year experience in IT company .

Very easy to stay and work in Thailand "wecare" get a job and work permit

That's my point, precisely - there is a big difference, but it isn't reflected in the actual law.

I really don't think that the law has to spell out answering an email while on holidays, mowing your lawn, or watering the grass is legal.