Taxi forced to use a meters now adding fare surcharges in Samui

webfact

Taxi forced to use a meters now adding fare surcharges in Samui

sam.jpg

KOH SAMUI: -- With the strong arm of the Juntra reaching out, things in Koh Samui are set to change.

With non metered taxis promised to become a thing of the past it now seems that drivers who are forced to use a meter have decided to levy surcharges to their fare.

New signs are appearing on Taxi’s around Koh Samui that state there is a minimum fee of fifty baht, which is believed to be on the meter before you set off and an additional fifty baht fee on the ride, meaning a possible one hundred baht fare no top of what you run up on the meter.

In view of this, whether the meters bring down the fares on shorter journeys remains to be seen.

xstimes.jpg.pagespeed.ic.EXTclkoej2.webp
-- Samui Times 2014-08-05

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

since the running costs for a taxi are generally the same throughout Thailand, the fare structure should be same whether is it in Bangkok or anywhere else

All this will do if allowed will stir up a hornets nest in other cities were they will feel justified in doing the same - The NCPO needs to get a handle on this before they lose control of it

They must be consistent with the rules throughout the nation - no exceptions

Still absolutely nothing has changed in Pattaya

The Land transport dept of Thailand should be owning this and if they can't manage it then start firing people and replace them with those that can....simple

I think the argument is that running costs are higher in Samui than BK so they should be allowed to charge a higher fare , which is why I think the 50 Baht starting surcharge is fair

• Like 1

since the running costs for a taxi are generally the same throughout Thailand, the fare structure should be same whether is it in Bangkok or anywhere else

Except there are no long trips which is where good money is made.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/731983-taxi-mafia/page-4

We may see drivers refusing fares because they are so short which I believe is also illegal.

The charges should be the same as in Bangkok or anywhere else in Thailand it is just another big rip off but everyone does it if I go to Makro on Samui a French stick is 26 baht the same item in Makro on Koh Phangan is 29 baht they say it is transportation charges , the damn things are made in-house !!

• Like 1

The charges should be the same as in Bangkok or anywhere else in Thailand it is just another big rip off but everyone does it if I go to Makro on Samui a French stick is 26 baht the same item in Makro on Koh Phangan is 29 baht they say it is transportation charges , the damn things are made in-house !!

What's the price of bread got to do with anything?

Just about everything on Koh Phangan is two or three baht more.... tongue.png Less people and market share.

And taxi service there (KP) is the back of a pickup, and price varies to how many people are going to a location... whistling.gif

All this will do if allowed will stir up a hornets nest in other cities were they will feel justified in doing the same - The NCPO needs to get a handle on this before they lose control of it

The Land transport dept of Thailand should be owning this and if they can't manage it then start firing people and replace them with those that can....simple

I dont live in Samui and no way am i defending these guys just think your statement is incorrect. Running cost may be the same but cost of living and doing business should also be in the equation. If in bkk a cab is busy 12 hours a day and in samui only 6 and their costs are equal it would obviously be a lot less money for the samui cabs.

• Like 1

As long as surcharges are clearly indicated and posted (as they seem to be in the pictured taxi), what's the issue? If you don't like the charges, don't use that particular taxi. Eventually, a free market will crowd out the exhorbiantly priced taxis. Or if the free market doesn't put the "overpriced" taxis out of business, it means the cost of transportation in the area has been insufficient and higher prices are truly justified. Micro management of local transportation is unnecessary so long as a free market exists and ALL taxis are subjected to the same enforced rules and regulations.

• Like 1

In the nine years I have been visiting samui, there was only a two week period with the mafia thugs used their meters. They are completely above the law. And the law ain't much on samui. The label the police on samui as indifferent would be to insult the world of indifferent people. They are asleep at the wheel. Nearly nonexistent. Some like that. I would prefer to see a little bit of law and order. It has been suggested the taxi union groups are far more powerful than the police. Let us see if this new edict has any teeth. Sure hope so. The samui taxi groups have been running wild forever now.

Spidermike

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

As long as surcharges are clearly indicated and posted (as they seem to be in the pictured taxi), what's the issue? If you don't like the charges, don't use that particular taxi. Eventually, a free market will crowd out the exhorbiantly priced taxis. Or if the free market doesn't put the "overpriced" taxis out of business, it means the cost of transportation in the area has been insufficient and higher prices are truly justified. Micro management of local transportation is unnecessary so long as a free market exists and ALL taxis are subjected to the same enforced rules and regulations.

Are you completely out of your mind? Have you lost control of all of your senses? When is the last time you visited Samui? It costs 200 baht to go one km. 400 baht to go three km. there is absolutely no discipline in the ranks. There is no such thing as a free market when you are dealing with a cartel. The taxis here may be subject to regulation, but they are NEVER enforced, so what good are they? Try will NOT use their meters. Never. Unless someone steps in, and starts breaking some heads, figuratively speaking.

Spidermike

• Like 2

It partly depends on where people are going .... I had some friends arrive at the airport the other day, and without haggling they got to Lomprayah ferry in Maenam, for 400 baht... that, I think is very reasonable.... but the driver probably knew he had a good chance of getting another fair waiting for those getting of the ferry....

It partly depends on where people are going .... I had some friends arrive at the airport the other day, and without haggling they got to Lomprayah ferry in Maenam, for 400 baht... that, I think is very reasonable.... but the driver probably knew he had a good chance of getting another fair waiting for those getting of the ferry....

While I agree it is "cheap" for Samui, it is still 400 baht for a 15 min / 15 km ride, so about 3 times the meter rate.

• Like 1

While I agree it is "cheap" for Samui, it is still 400 baht for a 15 min / 15 km ride, so about 3 times the meter rate.

But it is the same in BKK, when you go off the "beaten track" they are not interested in using the meter... I had that problem a number of times, even having a Thai with me....

I suppose then you don't mind if the electric or water company puts a 10.000 baht surcharge on your electric/water bill. It will be clearly indicated of course. Afterall, if you don't like the charge, just don't use electricity and water smile.png

I also suppose you don't know much about monopolies and essential services smile.png

But it is the same in BKK, when you go off the "beaten track" they are not interested in using the meter... I had that problem a number of times, even having a Thai with me....

I am sure you are right, but that does not make it reasonable does it?

Monkeycountry said @ #17

tourists do whatever they can to avoid them - even when it rains.

Many years ago grieving mother was 'mugged' to the tune of 600 baht to be driven in rain from the old airport terminal to Samui Mermaid; a distance of no more than 2 kms. The greedy <*******> had absolutely no compassion when told that she had just lost her son in a bike accident. He blatantly admitted that the bill had gone up (doubled) because of the rain, & did so in a demeanor that suggested he considered the act to be normal, reasonable & perfectly ok. AFAICR he also had the gall to ask for demand a tip upon arrival on the grounds that he had saved the day re getting wet!

Thank god he wasn't manning a lifeboat! smile.png

Edited by evadgib

All probably true. But, how do the raw materials get to Koh Phangan? It seems to me that everything would be a bit more expensive there.

• Like 1

Are you completely out of your mind? Have you lost control of all of your senses? When is the last time you visited Samui? It costs 200 baht to go one km. 400 baht to go three km. there is absolutely no discipline in the ranks. There is no such thing as a free market when you are dealing with a cartel. The taxis here may be subject to regulation, but they are NEVER enforced, so what good are they? Try will NOT use their meters. Never. Unless someone steps in, and starts breaking some heads, figuratively speaking.

Spidermike

From Nathon to IT center Lamai I payed 500Baht for 20kms (it was raining cats and dogs) that is to say11€. The driver was charming joking, carried my suitcase, so I tipped him 100 Baht 2,25€ it does not seems to me, I am completely out of my mind neither have I lost control of all my senses smile.png since in France for instance 20kms for 11€ would be preposterous and a tip of 2 € would not received any thanks from the drivers. I am not a tourist so its not in my interest thinking like that. But understandable due to the comparison with European prices. And yes from my home in Lamai to Samui airport Maybe 10 kms same price from Nathon so I reckon there is something wrong.