Taxi forced to use a meters now adding fare surcharges in Samui

webfact

Cancel the license of any Taxi driver in the country that does not use the meter properly, take off the road any taxi displaying signage that extra fees must be paid (except in case of tollway fees).

Up until now, the taxis on samui have been more powerful than any of the so called authorities. Let us see if that has changed now. Sure hope so. One can always hold out hope that things can improve on samui. The thought sometimes defies the imagination. Samui. The land of no progress. Samui may be the least progressive place on earth.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The charges should be the same as in Bangkok or anywhere else in Thailand it is just another big rip off but everyone does it if I go to Makro on Samui a French stick is 26 baht the same item in Makro on Koh Phangan is 29 baht they say it is transportation charges , the damn things are made in-house !!

The French chef perhaps?

since the running costs for a taxi are generally the same throughout Thailand, the fare structure should be same whether is it in Bangkok or anywhere else

All this will do if allowed will stir up a hornets nest in other cities were they will feel justified in doing the same - The NCPO needs to get a handle on this before they lose control of it

They must be consistent with the rules throughout the nation - no exceptions

Still absolutely nothing has changed in Pattaya

The Land transport dept of Thailand should be owning this and if they can't manage it then start firing people and replace them with those that can....simple

Petrol/Diesel etc are more expensive on Samui. (The costs of shipping to an island etc). Also prices rise as you move further away from Bangkok. (Cost of delivery.)

Bangkok prices are quite a bit lower (relatively).

since the running costs for a taxi are generally the same throughout Thailand, the fare structure should be same whether is it in Bangkok or anywhere else

All this will do if allowed will stir up a hornets nest in other cities were they will feel justified in doing the same - The NCPO needs to get a handle on this before they lose control of it

The Land transport dept of Thailand should be owning this and if they can't manage it then start firing people and replace them with those that can....simple

I dont live in Samui and no way am i defending these guys just think your statement is incorrect. Running cost may be the same but cost of living and doing business should also be in the equation. If in bkk a cab is busy 12 hours a day and in samui only 6 and their costs are equal it would obviously be a lot less money for the samui cabs.

Where did you get the "fact" than Samui taxis are busy only six hours per day.

Does Samui have CNG?

Taxis run on LPG here.

Sure about that, have they all converted?

It is not many years ago that no petrol station carried LPG.

In no way defending the Samui Cabbies but CNG can be bought for 11 Baht in BKK and will cost less than 1baht per KM to drive for the typical Corolla/Altis. Benzine at 38 Baht and probably more in Samui does need to be factored in. A green/yellow CNG Altis can be bought new from Toyota dealerships subsidised at THB 746,000, whats the price of an Altis on Samui?...Paris, BKK, whatever is apples and oranges.

Does Samui have CNG?

Taxis run on LPG here.

In no way defending the Samui Cabbies but CNG can be bought for 11 Baht in BKK and will cost less than 1baht per KM to drive for the typical Corolla/Altis. Benzine at 38 Baht and probably more in Samui does need to be factored in. A green/yellow CNG Altis can be bought new from Toyota dealerships subsidised at THB 746,000, whats the price of an Altis on Samui?...Paris, BKK, whatever is apples and oranges.

Many Samui taxis, maybe not all, run on some form of natural gas, not sure if it is CNG, LPG or whatever. Further there is at least a few filling stations on the island. I do not know the price of natural gas, but as with regular gasoline and diesel, it is likely 2-3 baht higher than in Bangkok.

I am guessing, but assume a car/taxi will cost more or less the same on Samui as everywhere else. If not, then I assume the taxi drivers can simply buy one on the mainland and drive it to Samui. Many regular car owners already do that.

It partly depends on where people are going .... I had some friends arrive at the airport the other day, and without haggling they got to Lomprayah ferry in Maenam, for 400 baht... that, I think is very reasonable.... but the driver probably knew he had a good chance of getting another fair waiting for those getting of the ferry....

Its not reasonable....the same fare distance in Bangkok would cost 150 Baht.

You can't tell me running costs are near 300% more!

Edited by smokie36

There used to be only one close to Nathon, now you have one between Chaweng and Bophut.

The one in Nathon stopped selling LPG for a year (4-5 years ago) but started to sell it again afterwards. The other one you mentioned started to sell LPG a few years ago and rumours say that a petrol station near the airport also does.

I don't think there are many taxis in Samui using LPG though, they claim their need for a higher fair rate is due to them using gasoline which they say they need to use because Samui has steep roads in many places.

Cancel the license of any Taxi driver in the country that does not use the meter properly, take off the road any taxi displaying signage that extra fees must be paid (except in case of tollway fees).

Up until now, the taxis on samui have been more powerful than any of the so called authorities. Let us see if that has changed now. Sure hope so. One can always hold out hope that things can improve on samui. The thought sometimes defies the imagination. Samui. The land of no progress. Samui may be the least progressive place on earth.

My guess is that unless you have a soldier ride with you, you are still very likely to be scammed...

Most of the tourists arriving at the airport are blissfully unaware of TV, and the history of taxi problems. The last thing they want is to get into a dispute on their first day on holiday and the charges are not astronomic when converting to EUR, or USD.

Only those with local knowledge object, it's no wonder they have pushed their luck for so long.

Petrol/Diesel etc are more expensive on Samui. (The costs of shipping to an island etc). Also prices rise as you move further away from Bangkok. (Cost of delivery.)

Yes. Fuel is about 7% higher. So, 107 baht for 8km, instead of 100, right?

Does Samui have CNG?

Taxis run on LPG here.

About 4000 baht to deliver the car to samui.

I dont live in Samui and no way am i defending these guys just think your statement is incorrect. Running cost may be the same but cost of living and doing business should also be in the equation. If in bkk a cab is busy 12 hours a day and in samui only 6 and their costs are equal it would obviously be a lot less money for the samui cabs.

Where did you get the "fact" than Samui taxis are busy only six hours per day.

I think your are missing the point! I never said this is a fact its just a analogy. Different environments should factor in to fixed pricing.

We have a CNG Altis, cost per KM is less than 1 Baht, benzine is more than double so not 7% difference.

We have a CNG Altis, cost per KM is less than 1 Baht, benzine is more than double so not 7% difference.

Meant CNG is 7% higher on samui. If they are not running on CNG is that out issue or theirs?

My guess is that unless you have a soldier ride with you, you are still very likely to be scammed...

Most of the tourists arriving at the airport are blissfully unaware of TV, and the history of taxi problems. The last thing they want is to get into a dispute on their first day on holiday and the charges are not astronomic when converting to EUR, or USD.

Only those with local knowledge object, it's no wonder they have pushed their luck for so long.

Samui Airport does not allow general public taxi's in. Arriving tourists need either private taxi service (a not unreasonable charge, given car quality and depending on how many in the party), shared mini bus (good value), hotel arranged, private pick up or car rental. At least all these options are available, unlike some other mafia taxi controlled airports.

It's only when they get out and about do they encounter the 'no meter' metered taxis. I sure hope things are truly changing.

• Like 1

Samui Airport does not allow general public taxi's in. Arriving tourists need either private taxi service (a not unreasonable charge, given car quality and depending on how many in the party), shared mini bus (good value), hotel arranged, private pick up or car rental. At least all these options are available, unlike some other mafia taxi controlled airports.

It's only when they get out and about do they encounter the 'no meter' metered taxis. I sure hope things are truly changing.

One can only hope. Change and progress are words that are very remote and strange, when it comes to Samui, land of the forlorn and neglected tourist. The extent to which that Island has been ignored by the powers in Bangkok, blows the mind. They have offered so little support. Sometimes, it seems they lump it into the same category as Pattaya, Narathiwat, Songkhla, Yala, and Satun. Oh, that is just the South. Ignore them. Don't give them money, aid, assistance, expertise, or anything, for that matter. Maybe the Junta is wise enough to realize this multi billion dollar Island counts for something? That the five star hotels deserve some respect, and that the tourists do to. They have been resting on their laurels for 30 years now. One can only hope and dream improvement will come to the forgotten land.

It partly depends on where people are going .... I had some friends arrive at the airport the other day, and without haggling they got to Lomprayah ferry in Maenam, for 400 baht... that, I think is very reasonable.... but the driver probably knew he had a good chance of getting another fair waiting for those getting of the ferry....

Its not reasonable....the same fare distance in Bangkok would cost 150 Baht.

You can't tell me running costs are near 300% more!

much better chance of getting a fair in bkk, lots more people in case you've not noticed Smokie ... it is not just the running cost~ tongue.png

A point to consider - unless I am mistaken not many of the drivers own the vehicle - they have to pay a fixed amount to their generous employer before they take the vehicle out each day.

Pity the driver - the poor sod takes all the flack from us while the real low-life scum is faceless and nameless... sad.png

I agree with Smokie - more people would use them if the fares were realistic.

A point to consider - unless I am mistaken not many of the drivers own the vehicle - they have to pay a fixed amount to their generous employer before they take the vehicle out each day.

Pity the driver - the poor sod takes all the flack from us while the real low-life scum is faceless and nameless... sad.png

Many drivers are not Samui locals. It's a business they get into with the promise of high returns supposedly.As you said the real culprit remains faceless.

Nevertheless they are a tool in an illegal operation / action, so sure they get the flak. I am sure they get into the business with eyes wide open.

Bottom line greed & Laziness.

• Like 1

Many drivers are not Samui locals. It's a business they get into with the promise of high returns supposedly.As you said the real culprit remains faceless.

Nevertheless they are a tool in an illegal operation / action, so sure they get the flak. I am sure they get into the business with eyes wide open.

Bottom line greed & Laziness.

Couldn't agree more on both points....your average Samui taxi driver wants to sit around relaxing in the shade all day and do no more than a couple of runs around town maybe making 1k Baht a day it seems.

Its a racket really....and criminal activity....I'm surprised so few Samui residents don't see it for what it truly is...but familiarity bred contempt a long time ago and most prefer to drive their own vehicles around drunk at night with associated risks rather than pay the prices.

Its understandable but a vicious circle.

Except there are no long trips which is where good money is made.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/731983-taxi-mafia/page-4

We may see drivers refusing fares because they are so short which I believe is also illegal.

The whole point of flagfalls and surcharges is to make shorter trips more profitable. If taxis are getting 100 baht just for you stepping into the taxi they are going to be quite happy with short trips.

Many Samui taxis, maybe not all, run on some form of natural gas, not sure if it is CNG, LPG or whatever. Further there is at least a few filling stations on the island. I do not know the price of natural gas, but as with regular gasoline and diesel, it is likely 2-3 baht higher than in Bangkok.

I am guessing, but assume a car/taxi will cost more or less the same on Samui as everywhere else. If not, then I assume the taxi drivers can simply buy one on the mainland and drive it to Samui. Many regular car owners already do that.

I have yet to see one that doesn't run on LPG. Benzene is 4 times the price of LPG, you'd be crazy to run a taxi on petrol.

There used to be only one close to Nathon, now you have one between Chaweng and Bophut.

I don't think there are many taxis in Samui using LPG though, they claim their need for a higher fair rate is due to them using gasoline which they say they need to use because Samui has steep roads in many places.

They all run on LPG. The stations that sell LPG in Lipa Noi and Near Big C do not sell anything else, they are dedicated LPG stations. If they stopped selling LPG for a few years then they must have been on holidays, because they don't sell anything else. The LPG station near Big C was only constructed about 6 months ago, so I am pretty sure you are thinking of the wrong places.

Edited by pokerspiv