Taxi forced to use a meters now adding fare surcharges in Samui

webfact

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Metre starting at 50 Baht I think is fair enough but adding 50 Baht service whether you like it or not is stupid ,imo xblink.png.pagespeed.ic.AQgCnSOpp_.png …. I think in most countries it is traditional to give taxis a bit on top of the meter fare & so they are limiting themselves to a 50 Baht tip when it could be more if they gave good service ...

But are they using the metres or not ??

Taxis in Bangkok start at 35 baht first 2 Kms

As for the meter I wonder what it is set at per km

Also in Bangkok at standbys such as Bangkok airport you can pay 50 baht service charge for meter taxi in the cue

Also this is an island with less Kms to drive so suppose it make sense that it is more expensive to make it worth their while

Plus living on an island is always more expensive on every country

An no I am not an taxi mafia spokesman like Gerry Adams from IRA lol

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app ooponxb

• Like 1

if they cant run a taxi legitimately they should loose the licence ..end of story ..NO ONE asked them to do this job; they chose to do it, to make a living so obviously there is profit to be made ....there should be NO 50 baht on top, if the client is happy with service they quite possibly will give a TIP

Edited by terryp

Don't mind the 50 baht entry fee.

Not sure what i think about the additional 50 Baht fee that covers "overhead costs"

I also wonder how many drivers that will make detours on purpose to get more on the meter, instead of driving the fastest route like before so they could end their journey asap.

Will be interesting to hear about what the prices are in near future, compared to prices like they used to be.

Anyone took a metered taxi from Chaweng to Nathon allready and know what the price is now?

Don't mind the 50 baht entry fee.

Not sure what i think about the additional 50 Baht fee that covers "overhead costs"

I also wonder how many drivers that will make detours on purpose to get more on the meter, instead of driving the fastest route like before so they could end their journey asap.

Will be interesting to hear about what the prices are in near future, compared to prices like they used to be.

Anyone took a metered taxi from Chaweng to Nathon allready and know what the price is now?

New arrangement starts 12th of August ( Queens Birthday ).

Quite simple really... just double the Bangkok meter charges. Therefore, 70 baht on meter and 10 baht per km.... example Lamai to Nathon would be 270 baht, whereas without the meter they ask for 400-500 baht.

I'm sure that a lot of BKK taxi drivers would be happy to replace the greedy Samui taxi mafia drivers.

I was having a discussion with a friend yesterday regarding these new taxi regulations he was all for it as he believes the taxi drivers on the island are hard done by , I am totally against it anyone who knows Samui will understand my view as of last week a taxi ride from Big C to Fisherman's village ( no more than a 5 minute car journey ) cost an absurd amount of 200 baht that will now cost 300 baht I could get on a skateboard and do it in less than 10 minutes because it's all downhill , by the way my friend who supports these rises to the best of my knowledge has never used a taxi in the 6 years he has lived on the island no doubt he will be reading this with steam coming out of his ears what I should have said to him was get off your scooter and start using the taxi services on the island for myself I would rather walk than pay unacceptable taxi rates !!

• Like 1

NCPO announce that all taxis in Koh Samui must use meters

xsamui-taxi-fare-300x225.jpg.pagespeed.i

For many years, Koh Samui has had many disputes concerning Taxi Meters. Taxi drivers refuse to switch on their meters for various reasons. Numerous meetings and negotiations have taken place with both private and public sectors but no compromise has been reached for the past years.

On 4 July 2014, the National Council for Peace and Order ordered all taxis in Koh Samui to operate with their meters.

On 12 August 2014, on the occasion of Her Majesty Queen Sirikit’s birthday, all Samui taxis will be starting their meters at 50 baht.

An additional 50 baht service charge is added on top of the total fare. As the community has accepted that this service charge will cover overhead costs.

After an agreement with the Koh Samui City and Tourism Association of Koh Samui, the community will accept the additional 50 baht service charge to the total fare.

Those taxis that violate the rule by not turning on their meters will then be handled by the law. If any inconveniences occur, please call our local contact number 1155 or 077-414-231. You can also email: [email protected] or [email protected] .Please notify the license number, the route of transfer, your name and nationality.

Source: http://www.samuitime...ust-use-meters/

xstimes.jpg.pagespeed.ic.EXTclkoej2.webp

--Samui Times 2014-08-08

And for my being asked 5,000Baht instead of 1,900 for my first year retirement extension, can I call this number, or it is only for Taxi'?

Maybe another will follow for imm*&;tion ? sc*`:m (mod please note i'm prudentsmile.png )

I'm sure they will find a way to make the meters move faster and I won't be surprised if the juiced up fare is higher than the non meter fare.

Rob posted a chart / charges that should give you a broad idea.

The only way we can make a difference, if us , people living here can keep each other up to date & report the offenders to the number provided.

In the world where everyone has a camera on there phone

People can video the journey specially the payment bit

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app ooponxb

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

With the 50 baht surcharge these taxis start more expensive than in New York City which begin at $2.50 or 80 Baht.

Not sticking up for samui taxis but islands are always more expensive. Bangkok starts at 35 baht for first 2 kms.

I used to drive a mini cab in england years ago. So the price is probably more now but back then is was minimum 4 pounds for first 2 miles then 1 pound 80 per mile.

now rate 54 to the pound so thats more than 200 baht for first 2 miles

As long as surcharges are clearly indicated and posted (as they seem to be in the pictured taxi), what's the issue? If you don't like the charges, don't use that particular taxi. Eventually, a free market will crowd out the exhorbiantly priced taxis. Or if the free market doesn't put the "overpriced" taxis out of business, it means the cost of transportation in the area has been insufficient and higher prices are truly justified. Micro management of local transportation is unnecessary so long as a free market exists and ALL taxis are subjected to the same enforced rules and regulations.

FREE market? On Samui? I think you don't actually realise what the real problem is.

As long as surcharges are clearly indicated and posted (as they seem to be in the pictured taxi), what's the issue? If you don't like the charges, don't use that particular taxi. Eventually, a free market will crowd out the exhorbiantly priced taxis. Or if the free market doesn't put the "overpriced" taxis out of business, it means the cost of transportation in the area has been insufficient and higher prices are truly justified. Micro management of local transportation is unnecessary so long as a free market exists and ALL taxis are subjected to the same enforced rules and regulations.

FREE market? On Samui? I think you don't actually realise what the real problem is.

If the drivers still refuse to use the metre then the price has effectively just gone up. Those in charge at present seem to be dong a good job so far so hope this can be added to the list but I do understand concern. Anyone heard anything much about the Junta in negative terms on even fairly small non Thai based media? The Junta seems to be doing all the right things and they have my support so hopefully they will also do the same thing with the taxi scam on Samui.

The charges should be the same as in Bangkok or anywhere else in Thailand it is just another big rip off but everyone does it if I go to Makro on Samui a French stick is 26 baht the same item in Makro on Koh Phangan is 29 baht they say it is transportation charges , the damn things are made in-house !!

They grow the wheat on Phangan too ? w00t.gif

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What's the minimum wage in England? Is it 4 quid a day? If not then it is completely irrelevant to Thailand.

someone was comparing prices the New York so i was comparing to London. so relevant to the other poster. poker spiv

I actually saw a taxi yesterday with a big new sign stuck on it saying they use meters now. Didn't check if it was true or not.

As previously mentioned , not true, officially starts on the 12th.

Spoke to a guy this morning that just arrived here via a weeks holiday in Phuket. Comes here numerous times a year. Says that despite the new regulations/changes the fares are exactly the same as he's always paid!!whistling.giflaugh.png

Edited by carmine