ED visa - new rules apply as to-day!

Went down to Jomtien for a 90 day extension and all went fine - stamped in till Nov 6th - went to my school for usual lesson and was informed that immigration had told them last night that all students who had their extensions passed after one year would now have to re apply for ED visa (before the rule was you would get automatic extension without renewing visa) I have been here on ED visa since Feb 2013 and am bonafide student. I am over 50with funds so could have gone for retirement but wanted to learn Thai .Anyway long and short of it is that I have to do a visa run before Nov 6th and then have to buy another one year course which would be alright but having paid for six months of this year already I don't really want to fork out for another year especially as I was leaving Thailand in March 2015 anyway(my wife is an english teacher and her contract finishes then so we thought we'd give somewhere else a go!)

Anyway am going to Vietnam on October 11 for two weeks -school hols for the misses and am wondering if I apply for a 60 day tourist visa will they allow me to re -enter on that basis and then I can take it from there?

• Like 1

Anyway am going to Vietnam on October 11 for two weeks -school hols for the misses and am wondering if I apply for a 60 day tourist visa will they allow me to re -enter on that basis and then I can take it from there?

Yes.

I can confirm what the OP said.

The situation is actually kind of crazy.

One of my friends was supposed to receive his final extension on his second ED visa on August 14th. (By final extension, I mean the one from the 12th to the 15th month since, according to the previous rules, an ED visa could allow you to stay up to 15 months in Thailand).

Anyway, today, he got a call from his school saying that:

a) They had a meeting at Jomtien Immigration yesterday and that, from today onwards, 1 ED visa = 12 months.

b ) Since my friend's visa now expires on August 14th and since the Queen's birthday is next week, there is no way the MOE can process the paperwork for a new visa in time.

So, basically, my friend is screwed and he will have to exit the country, apply for a tourist visa, hope he will not get in any trouble at the border, come back into Thailand, apply for a new ED visa, re-exit Thailand and re-enter under the new ED visa.

The fact that there is no grace period is quite ridiculous.

Edited by nicolas18
  • Like 2

If your wife is on an extension of stay for teaching you can get an extension of stay as her dependent. You can change the reason for your extension to the dependent extension without needing to leave the country.

You can go to school with any type of entry. You don't have to have a ED visa.

I have never heard about an extension of stay as a dependent - where can I get info about this?

If your wife is on an extension of stay for teaching you can get an extension of stay as her dependent. You can change the reason for your extension to the dependent extension without needing to leave the country.

I have never heard about an extension of stay as a dependent - where can I get info about this?

Reason 2.11

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/doc/temporarystay/policy777-2551_en.pdf

The catch is that the dependent must have entered on a non-imm. visa.

Edited by paz

Reason 2.11

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/doc/temporarystay/policy777-2551_en.pdf

The catch is that the dependent must have entered on a non-imm O visa.

There is no requirement for a non-o visa just a non immigrant visa is needed.. He can change to a dependent extension from the one for going to school he has now.

There is no requirement for a non-o visa just a non immigrant visa is needed.. He can change to a dependent extension from the one for going to school he has now.

Sorry I meant non-Immigrant. I wonder what would be the specific type to be applied for, because I never saw "non-immigrant dependant visa" on any embassy or consulate form, but maybe they do it without publicizing.

Edited by paz

I entered on a non immigrant ED visa - is that OK then? I have checked the site you kindly provided and it does seem possible - I think i will go to my local immigration office and find out the exact details. Thanks for your help so far.

Edited by leggo

I can confirm what the OP said.

The situation is actually kind of crazy.

One of my friends was supposed to receive his final extension on his second ED visa on August 14th. (By final extension, I mean the one from the 12th to the 15th month since, according to the previous rules, an ED visa could allow you to stay up to 15 months in Thailand).

Anyway, today, he got a call from his school saying that:

a) They had a meeting at Jomtien Immigration yesterday and that, from today onwards, 1 ED visa = 12 months.

b ) Since my friend's visa now expires on August 14th and since the Queen's birthday is next week, there is no way the MOE can process the paperwork for a new visa in time.

So, basically, my friend is screwed and he will have to exit the country, apply for a tourist visa, hope he will not get in any trouble at the border, come back into Thailand, apply for a new ED visa, re-exit Thailand and re-enter under the new ED visa.

The fact that there is no grace period is quite ridiculous.

You are correct, it is absurd.

- Changes that are not officially published to go into immediate effect.

- No grace period for those directly affected, in the last extension for the year.

- No conversion from tourist to non-imm ED, at least to prevent leaving country twice.

Seems like they just want to shoot in the bunch, but as always happen those that re determined will continue staying just suffer undue costs and inconvenience.

Perhaps could try going together with a school representative to immigration to see if they can provide a solution for those on the last extension.

Edited by paz

Sorry I meant non-Immigrant. I wonder what would be the specific type to be applied for, because I never saw "non-immigrant dependant visa" on any embassy or consulate form, but maybe they do it without publicizing.

There's no non-imm dependent visa. He entered the country using a Non-Imm Ed visa and has an extension of stay. According to Ubonjoe, he can just go to Immigrations and apply for an extension on his current stay based of being a dependent of his wife. No need for a new visa since he's already entered on a non-immigrant visa (it doesn't have to be type O, type ED works too) and just wants to change the type of extension of stay. Several types of non-imm visas aside from O.

Edited by Suradit69

There's no non-imm dependent visa. He entered the country using a Non-Imm Ed visa and has an extension of stay. According to Ubonjoe, he can just go to Immigrations and apply for an extension on his current stay based of being a dependent of his wife. No need for a new visa since he's already entered on a non-immigrant visa (it doesn't have to be type O, type ED works too) and just wants to change the type of extension of stay. Several types of non-imm visas aside from O.

smile.png Good advise ...

Edited by craigp

I just went to the website of the school I've applied to (one of the reputable ones as far as I can tell) and get this instead of the homepage:

"Error establishing a database connection."

Just a coincidence, right? :::paranoia begins to set in:::

I just went to the website of the school I've applied to (one of the reputable ones as far as I can tell) and get this instead of the homepage:

Pro Language?

Pro Language?

Indeed. thumbsup.gif

I have seen a new police order that goes into effect on August 29th but the translation of it has not been approved yet.

It may be that some immigration offices are letting schools know about the coming changes.

• Like 1

I have seen a new police order that goes into effect on August 29th but the translation of it has not been approved yet.

It may be that some immigration offices are letting schools know about the coming changes.

What sort of changes?

Can you confirm that the amount of hours needed to study per week to qualify for a visa has increased?

No changes to the number of hours because that has never been written in any police order. Here is the change. It seems immigration has decided that language schools fall under it.

(2) In case of nonformal school, each permission shall be granted for a period certified by the educational institution, for no more than 90 days, total length of stay shall not exceed one year from the date of entering the Kingdom.
Types of non-formal school are such as religion, arts and sports, vocational, tutoring and skill development school as specified by the Private Education Commission ***
Also: *** Announcement from the Private Education Commission,
Subject: Types and nature of schools, teaching management and curriculum of non-formal school dated on 12 February 2009
· Religious school: a school established by sole purpose of teaching religion
· Art and Sports school: a school established to provide education of music, art and sports
· Vocational school: a school established to provide vocational skills to be applied to further carrier or as an additional skill for learners
· Tutoring school: a school established to provide additional knowledge parrarel to the general education curriculum
Skill Development school: established to develop talents, ideas and other skills of learners

Hey Leggo.

You say you over 50 years and have the money, Then change Ed-Extension to Retirement-Extension is a option for you.

I change from Ed-Extension to Married-Extension on May this year, so i Think it be the same to change to Retirement-Extension for you, Pretty simple.

Kindly.

It is a shame that they do not seem to allow eD visa for muay thai anymore. Only school I know that is greenlight by MoE is Master Toddy, and I have no desire to train there.

The problem with most schools (gyms) is that they are not registered with the Ministry of Education. That is one of the requirements to get the extensions.

There are a few places where you can get a multiple entry ED visa to attend one.

Hey Leggo.

You say you over 50 years and have the money, Then change Ed-Extension to Retirement-Extension is a option for you.

I change from Ed-Extension to Married-Extension on May this year, so i Think it be the same to change to Retirement-Extension for you, Pretty simple.

Kindly.

I have thought about that but as we are leaving Thailand in March next year I am looking for alternatives , particularly as i am not confident about bringing the money in and out during the present political situation.

The new regulations start on the 29th of August

1. If your visa extension is due after the 29th , you must re-apply for the student visa, even if you have only done 1,2 or 3 of your extensions.
  2. This will involve another visa trip outside of Thailand to obtain a new ED Visa.
  3. All new applicants on a tourist visa can apply for the student visa but will loose the length of the tourist visa from the length of the ED Visa ( for example if you have 30 day tourist visa you will loose 1 month from your 12 month ED Visa, if you have 60 days + 30 days then you would loose up to 3 months of the visa dependent on entry stamp and when you got the ED Visa
  4. Students that go from year 1 to 2 or year 2-3 ect will have to re-apply in the same way but unlike now where you just continue to go to immigration , you must now take the documents outside of Thailand to a Thai embassy or consulate for them to issue a new student visa.

They are also to investigate all visa shops , law firms and bars with visa booths offering student visa's and will require them to name the schools who are doing the paperwork for them.

Hi, sorry slightly confused now having read all these post especially the last one. I am on an end visa which I got in April. Did my first 90 reporting recently so not due yet. I just go to my local immigration. So does that mean when I'm next due I'll get told to leave Thailand to get a new visa? Because this one isn't a year old until April 29th or is that when I would have to get one instead of applying for the 90 day extension . Please can some one clearly clarify this sorry I'm slow this morning.

Hi, sorry slightly confused now having read all these post especially the last one. I am on an end visa which I got in April. Did my first 90 reporting recently so not due yet. I just go to my local immigration. So does that mean when I'm next due I'll get told to leave Thailand to get a new visa? Because this one isn't a year old until April 29th or is that when I would have to get one instead of applying for the 90 day extension . Please can some one clearly clarify this sorry I'm slow this morning.

Hey Leggo.

Kindly.

I have thought about that but as we are leaving Thailand in March next year I am looking for alternatives , particularly as i am not confident about bringing the money in and out during the present political situation.

leggo, I think that you are getting overly paranoid if you think that you will lose the Thb 800,000 in the bank that you will have to "show". This money is yours to spend on your day to day expenses and let's face it, it's not a huge amount of money to spend every month. Furthermore, you can withdraw it once the money is seasoned and you have received your Non O-A (retirement) visa with the extension of stay. You think the bottom will fall out of the baht and there will be hyper inflation? Highly unlikely.

Hi, all this confused me too.

Please someone clarify what exact is the situation.

In my case I applied for my ED visa in July this year, means my first 90 day report will be in September.

The new rules means I have to leave Thailand to reapply for an ED visa instead go to my local immigration office to get the next 90 days?

Hi, all this confused me too.

Please someone clarify what exact is the situation.

In my case I applied for my ED visa in July this year, means my first 90 day report will be in September.

The new rules means I have to leave Thailand to reapply for an ED visa instead go to my local immigration office to get the next 90 days?

No you just go as per normal. The ED visa is for a year but you have to report to immigration every 3 months. once the year is up then you have to re-new the visa.

Or maybe not. Probably best to go to immigration and ask. That's what im doing tomorrow.

Edited by bertty

The new regulations start on the 29th of August

1. If your visa extension is due after the 29th , you must re-apply for the student visa, even if you have only done 1,2 or 3 of your extensions.
  2. This will involve another visa trip outside of Thailand to obtain a new ED Visa.
  3. All new applicants on a tourist visa can apply for the student visa but will loose the length of the tourist visa from the length of the ED Visa ( for example if you have 30 day tourist visa you will loose 1 month from your 12 month ED Visa, if you have 60 days + 30 days then you would loose up to 3 months of the visa dependent on entry stamp and when you got the ED Visa
  4. Students that go from year 1 to 2 or year 2-3 ect will have to re-apply in the same way but unlike now where you just continue to go to immigration , you must now take the documents outside of Thailand to a Thai embassy or consulate for them to issue a new student visa.

They are also to investigate all visa shops , law firms and bars with visa booths offering student visa's and will require them to name the schools who are doing the paperwork for them.

Your post is confusing and appears to be incorrect.

A person that has already been getting 90 day extensions will not have to go out for a new ED visa until they have been doing them for a year.after the order goes in effect.

A person that has been doing them already for more than a year would not have to do it until a year after the police order goes into effect. Immigration does not make their orders retroactive.

3. Makes no sense. The one year does not start until your first extension starts.