ED visa - new rules apply as to-day!

The new regulations start on the 29th of August

1. If your visa extension is due after the 29th , you must re-apply for the student visa, even if you have only done 1,2 or 3 of your extensions.
  2. This will involve another visa trip outside of Thailand to obtain a new ED Visa.
  3. All new applicants on a tourist visa can apply for the student visa but will loose the length of the tourist visa from the length of the ED Visa ( for example if you have 30 day tourist visa you will loose 1 month from your 12 month ED Visa, if you have 60 days + 30 days then you would loose up to 3 months of the visa dependent on entry stamp and when you got the ED Visa
  4. Students that go from year 1 to 2 or year 2-3 ect will have to re-apply in the same way but unlike now where you just continue to go to immigration , you must now take the documents outside of Thailand to a Thai embassy or consulate for them to issue a new student visa.

They are also to investigate all visa shops , law firms and bars with visa booths offering student visa's and will require them to name the schools who are doing the paperwork for them.

Your post is confusing and appears to be incorrect.

A person that has already been getting 90 day extensions will not have to go out for a new ED visa until they have been doing them for a year.after the order goes in effect.

A person that has been doing them already for more than a year would not have to do it until a year after the police order goes into effect. Immigration does not make their orders retroactive.

3. Makes no sense. The one year does not start until your first extension starts.

A lot of these threads should be taken down on ed, tourist, back to back etc. They are just confusing people unnecessarily!

• Like 1

1. If your visa extension is due after the 29th , you must re-apply for the student visa, even if you have only done 1,2 or 3 of your extensions.
  2. This will involve another visa trip outside of Thailand to obtain a new ED Visa.
  3. All new applicants on a tourist visa can apply for the student visa but will loose the length of the tourist visa from the length of the ED Visa ( for example if you have 30 day tourist visa you will loose 1 month from your 12 month ED Visa, if you have 60 days + 30 days then you would loose up to 3 months of the visa dependent on entry stamp and when you got the ED Visa
  4. Students that go from year 1 to 2 or year 2-3 ect will have to re-apply in the same way but unlike now where you just continue to go to immigration , you must now take the documents outside of Thailand to a Thai embassy or consulate for them to issue a new student visa.

They are also to investigate all visa shops , law firms and bars with visa booths offering student visa's and will require them to name the schools who are doing the paperwork for them.

A person that has already been getting 90 day extensions will not have to go out for a new ED visa until they have been doing them for a year.after the order goes in effect.

A person that has been doing them already for more than a year would not have to do it until a year after the police order goes into effect. Immigration does not make their orders retroactive.

3. Makes no sense. The one year does not start until your first extension starts.

A lot of these threads should be taken down on ed, tourist, back to back etc. They are just confusing people unnecessarily!

I agree with this many confusing threads.

I will go tomorrow to my local immigration office and ask what the actual situation is and how they understand the upcoming rules.

I will after them report the answers here

I got around to renewing another year on my ED last month, although one of the staff at the school said that I may have to start going to Laos or somewhere every year in the future. I have been on an ED for 3 years now, go to my classes and can speak Thai pretty damn well, the notch before fluency I would claim.

I got around to renewing another year on my ED last month, although one of the staff at the school said that I may have to start going to Laos or somewhere every year in the future. I have been on an ED for 3 years now, go to my classes and can speak Thai pretty damn well, the notch before fluency I would claim.

Sounds great with your Thai talking. You learned it in the school or more with self study "at home".

Can I ask you what for an school you attend?

Thanks

There is no requirement for a non-o visa just a non immigrant visa is needed.. He can change to a dependent extension from the one for going to school he has now.

I don't think it will work because if you read Visa Requirements for Non-B you will find that:

Dependents and Family Members

Applicant’s family members, namely; spouse, parents and children who are unmarried and under 20 years, are eligible to apply for Non-Immigrant O-visa.

Required documents are the same as required documents for Non-Immigrant B-visa plus marriage certificate and birth certificate.

Unfortunately, it is official. Everybody with ED visa 3 month renewal date after 29th of August must go outside of country and reapply. My school started the paper work today for me. I think it also means everybody now renewing before 29th must reapply after the next 3 months.

Edited by Timwin

There is no requirement for a non-o visa just a non immigrant visa is needed.. He can change to a dependent extension from the one for going to school he has now.

I don't think it will work because if you read Visa Requirements for Non-B you will find that:

Dependents and Family Members

Applicant’s family members, namely; spouse, parents and children who are unmarried and under 20 years, are eligible to apply for Non-Immigrant O-visa.

Required documents are the same as required documents for Non-Immigrant B-visa plus marriage certificate and birth certificate.

I don't know where you got that since you did not provide the source. It appears to be from a embassy website for visa applications.

This from clause 2.11 for dependent extension for teachers on extension stay of police order 777/2551

(1) The alien must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM).

No clause of the police order specifies any type of non immigrant visa,

Unfortunately, it is official. Everybody with ED visa 3 month renewal date after 29th of August must go outside of country and reapply. My school started the paper work today for me. I think it also means everybody now renewing before 29th must reapply after the next 3 months.

That means, even you got your ED Visa 3 weeks ago and have to go for the first 90 day extension in beginning of September have to apply for an new ED Visa outside Thailand?

That means, even you got your ED Visa 3 weeks ago and have to go for the first 90 day extension in beginning of September have to apply for an new ED Visa outside Thailand?

Yes. Everybody must reapply even if it is your 1st extension after 29th of August but if one got his ED visa three weeks ago, he must renew it in October, not September.

Edited by Timwin

So, if no. 3 is correct and I want to move to an ED visa after being on a triple entry TV, I will "loose" 8-9 months of a New Years ED visa ??!! Perhaps a sticky thread with only confirmed info added is needed ?!

No sticky thread is possible. No official rules have been released. Just second hand information of which much dosen't even make sense.

I have received my first ED visa at my home country about 2 weeks ago but still did not enter the kingdom, will it effect me as well??!!

Everybody with the next renewal date after 29th of August must renew. That is what my school told me. In your case it would mean trip to Laos in November if you came in today.

Edited by Timwin

I have received my first ED visa at my home country about 2 weeks ago but still did not enter the kingdom, will it effect me as well??!!

Everybody with the next renewal date after 29th of August must renew. That is what my school told me. In your case it would mean trip to Laos in November if you came in today.

Can I ask you at what school you are because my school (TLS) told me at moment this:

As what my boss said you can extend you visa in Thailand and after one year and you would like to extend you ED visa again for another year that is the time that you need to leave the country again.

In a worst situation there's a chance that the student need to leave the country every 6 months

• Like 1

Can I ask you at what school you are because my school (TLS) told me at moment this:

As what my boss said you can extend you visa in Thailand and after one year and you would like to extend you ED visa again for another year that is the time that you need to leave the country again.

In a worst situation there's a chance that the student need to leave the country every 6 months

Same school. They took copies of my passport pages just today for new paperwork for ministry of education. 29th is the cutoff date. It makes sense because it usually takes about 3 weeks to get the papers.

Edited by Timwin

Same school. They took copies of my passport pages just today for new paperwork for ministry of education. 29th is the cutoff date.

What branch you are dealing with?

I wonder, I'm in chat at moment via skype to TLS, branch BKK, I chat with Mary

So you're saying that anyone who needs the 3 month renewal after 29th August must go and reapply outside the country for a new Ed Visa. And everyone who is renewing before 29th also will have to- in three months- go and reapply outside the country.

So you're saying your school has told you that everybody who has an Ed Visa essentially must go and reapply for a new visa outside of Thailand this year..?

Edited by Rumblecat

So you're saying that anyone who needs the 3 month renewal after 29th August must go and reapply outside the country for a new Ed Visa. And everyone who is renewing before 29th also will have to- in three months- go and reapply outside the country.

So you're saying your school has told you that everybody who has an Ed Visa essentially must go and reapply for a new visa this year.

Yes. That is what the school said, "everybody has to do this".

And that's for currently valid visas, not for visas that are reaching their 12 month limit and the students wanting to extend them the extra 3 months to 15th months?

Edited by Rumblecat

And that's for currently valid visas, not for visa that are reaching their 12 month limit and people want to extend them to the 15th month?

Yes, every ED visa. I don't know about the 12 to 15 extension, if it is even possible anymore. Direct number to school: 038-416891.

http://www.tlslanguageschool.com/contact-pattaya

Edited by Timwin

Well that seems ridiculous. If you have paid for a years visa then surely you get a year. Of people have to leave every three months essentially to do this no one will enrol in school as it will end up being very expensive.this will put schools out of business I think. Still confused but I think I will go with what ubon Joe said as it makes far more sense that after the year you would have to leave which I though was the case any way.

I dont think that is how it works

I think if you have been in the school over 1 year then you have to leave after the 29th, you cant stay in the country for more then one year with a border run outside of the country.... so new people just getting wouldnt have to go until next year, if that isnt true and everyone has to go then i am super screwed as i am in laos right now getting my visa , to have to go back would seriously suck so soon

• Like 1

Just my 2 cents here:

The info from Timwin is in complete contradiction with what my friend who studies at Walen has been told. Basically, he's been told that the only change is that an ED visa = 12 months stay, not 15, and you need to leave the country to re-apply for a new one each year. That's it.

In other words, if you applied for a new ED visa on, say, June, 23rd 2014, your visa can be extended until June, 23rd 2015. No one has ever said that your brand new ED visa is now void.

Maybe that Walen guy should come in here to clarify the situation?

• Like 1

Well that seems ridiculous. If you have paid for a years visa then surely you get a year. Of people have to leave every three months essentially to do this no one will enrol in school as it will end up being very expensive.this will put schools out of business I think. Still confused but I think I will go with what ubon Joe said as it makes far more sense that after the year you would have to leave which I though was the case any way.

Yeah that is the thing you didnt have to leave every year if you went to the same school in Chiang Mai you could go to the same school up to 3 years without leaving the country and places like PAttaya boast up to 10 years. I think that is what they are trying to shut down, so every year you now have to leave.. it would be crazy to make everyone that just got their visa this month either by resetting it or just starting it to have to go and redo it all over again.... but will wait and see the official rules when they come into play,

Just my 2 cents here:

The info from Timwin is in complete contradiction with what my friend who studies at Walen has been told. Basically, he's been told that the only change is that an ED visa = 12 months stay, not 15, and you need to leave the country to re-apply for a new one each year. That's it.

In other words, if you applied for a new ED visa on, say, June, 23rd 2014, your visa can be extended until June, 23rd 2015. No one has ever said that your brand new ED visa is now void.

Maybe that Walen guy should come in here to clarify the situation?

Well, you can call the school, the number is above.

I have seen a new police order that goes into effect on August 29th but the translation of it has not been approved yet.

It may be that some immigration offices are letting schools know about the coming changes.

What sort of changes?

Can you confirm that the amount of hours needed to study per week to qualify for a visa has increased?

I was told that minimum number of classroom hours will increase from 4 to 8 hours per week. Not sure when this will go into affect.

No he is right about the people who have a visa older than 1 year. They have to go to apply for a new visa as soon as the curent extension ends.

In my exemple :

I have one ed-visa delivered 15 months agos. My curent extension runs from 4th august to 1st November. In november I'll have to make a visa trip to get a new visa. Here is a mail sent by my school :

"That's unfortunately correct. From 29th August all the students who have extended their ED visa past one year have to apply for visa again by the date of their next extension. If I'm not mistaken, your next extension will be on 1st November, which means that you will have to apply for visa again by that date. It takes about 2 weeks to prepare documents for visa but since there are going to be more people applying, I suggest that you come to school earlier (3 weeks- 1month) to be sure (so, in the beginning of Oct)

You will need to bring your passport, 12 pictures in colour (3.5 by 4 cm and, according to the new law, you need to be wearing a shirt with a collar and long sleeves on the pictures), your address in Thailand.

The reason we haven't notified you of the changes is because we need to establish what the payment is going to be for students with the same case as yours. We expect the owner of the school to come this evening to discuss all the details. As soon as I know something I will let you know."

There is no reason to call the school

• if you are a new customer then your visa is valid and you follow the previous procedures for extending the visa
  • If you have already done more than 12 months on a student visa then new visa extensions are ok up to the 29th of August, after the 29th even if your visa extension is in the first week of September , your visa will not be extended, we have to apply again to the education department get new approval for our customers and they must leave the country to obtain a new student visa.
  • then every 12 months they will be required to leave and get there new student visa's at a Thai Embassy or Consulate outside of Thailand.

we are contacting students now whose visa's will be up for extension in September and October to come to the school quickly so we can do applications again, normally the paperwork takes 2 weeks to come back from the education department, This will dramatically increase as every school will be sending paper work to the education department,

This is a nightmare for everyone and we do say sorry to our customers

There is simply nothing we can do about this, this is not the schools doing, But it is simply a nightmare, the amount of paper work that our staff will have to do for our customers to renew there visa's will be a challenge on its own, without having phone calls that will take them away from doing this paperwork i ask for your understanding

• Like 1

Hey all so I contacted the school I am at and this is the reply I copied for you all to see. Hope it clears it up as it has for me. Regards!

`Regarding to your question about 90 days report, today two of our

students have just been to the immigration office for their report,

everything is going well as it used to be. There is no requirement to

leave the country to apply for a new visa outside Thailand. So the

information you heard must be wrong. (for now everything is still the

same)

The changes on rules and regulations for ED visa is applied when it is

renewed. As school needs to present student attandance record and the

test paper. The officers also will interview the students in Thai to

check if they really come to school and learn something before they

get the visa renew for another year.

Right now to apply for the ED visa aboard, students must participate