ED visa - new rules apply as to-day!

I dont think that is how it works

I think if you have been in the school over 1 year then you have to leave after the 29th, you cant stay in the country for more then one year with a border run outside of the country.... so new people just getting wouldnt have to go until next year, if that isnt true and everyone has to go then i am super screwed as i am in laos right now getting my visa , to have to go back would seriously suck so soon

That's how I understand it also.

If your visa is older than one year, then you have to renew it before the end of your present extension.

If your visa is just fresh, you are not concerned yet, you will have to renew it next year.

For instance my visa is 15 months old. I'll have to get a new one before my 3 months extension ends.

Wow it really does seem like Thailand wants long term expats to leave, or at least make it very difficult for them to stay here. The past few weeks have seen some pretty harsh changes and or reinforced laws.

I am still confused but I have put a question in the thread regarding 'meeting the commissioner' about it all. I renewed my visa and payed for it in July, last month, if I have to renew it again in November, pay again in November and leave the country and come back, where the hell is the logic in that?

Hey Leggo.

You say you over 50 years and have the money, Then change Ed-Extension to Retirement-Extension is a option for you.

I change from Ed-Extension to Married-Extension on May this year, so i Think it be the same to change to Retirement-Extension for you, Pretty simple.

Kindly.

I have thought about that but as we are leaving Thailand in March next year I am looking for alternatives , particularly as i am not confident about bringing the money in and out during the present political situation.

leggo, I think that you are getting overly paranoid if you think that you will lose the Thb 800,000 in the bank that you will have to "show". This money is yours to spend on your day to day expenses and let's face it, it's not a huge amount of money to spend every month. Furthermore, you can withdraw it once the money is seasoned and you have received your Non O-A (retirement) visa with the extension of stay. You think the bottom will fall out of the baht and there will be hyper inflation? Highly unlikely.

When I arrived here I had similar comments made - if I had brought the money in it would have cost me at least 10% by now! Maybe I have become a bit cynical but having lost a great part of my personal pension in the last crash - it was invested in a bank who everyone ,including the governement told me was completely safe, I now have absolutely no faith in the concept 'it will never happen'. Personally I think the risk is about 50/50 and I'm not about to take it!

Edited by leggo

Hey Leggo.

You say you over 50 years and have the money, Then change Ed-Extension to Retirement-Extension is a option for you.

I change from Ed-Extension to Married-Extension on May this year, so i Think it be the same to change to Retirement-Extension for you, Pretty simple.

Kindly.

I have thought about that but as we are leaving Thailand in March next year I am looking for alternatives , particularly as i am not confident about bringing the money in and out during the present political situation.

leggo, I think that you are getting overly paranoid if you think that you will lose the Thb 800,000 in the bank that you will have to "show". This money is yours to spend on your day to day expenses and let's face it, it's not a huge amount of money to spend every month. Furthermore, you can withdraw it once the money is seasoned and you have received your Non O-A (retirement) visa with the extension of stay. You think the bottom will fall out of the baht and there will be hyper inflation? Highly unlikely.

When I arrived here I had similar comments made - if I had brought the money in it would have cost me at least 10% by now! Maybe I have become a bit cynical but having lost a great part of my personal pension in the last crash - it was invested in a bank who everyone ,including the governement told me was completely safe, I now have absolutely no faith in the concept 'it will never happen'. Personally I think the risk is about 50/50 and I'm not about to take it!

I can only imagine how it must feel for pensioners who have been here for a few decades back when the Thai baht was around 85 to 1 GBP for example, watching the value of their life savings lessen with each year.

And that's for currently valid visas, not for visa that are reaching their 12 month limit and people want to extend them to the 15th month?

Yes, every ED visa. I don't know about the 12 to 15 extension, if it is even possible anymore. Direct number to school: 038-416891.

http://www.tlslanguageschool.com/contact-pattaya

Your school seems to be saying something different from you- they're saying that 90 days reporting is going on as normal, and not everybody with a current Ed Visa has to go and reapply for a new one, and others are saying that this Aug 29th date thing only applies to visas that have reached 12 months.

Can I ask how many months you've got left on your visa? It might help clarify things a bit more because what you've been posting is a massive change in how every single Ed Visa works- essentially cancelling every single one in the country and making everybody reapply- and that doesn't seem to be what the school is saying.

• Like 1

Your school seems to be saying something different from you- they're saying that 90 days reporting is going on as normal, and not everybody with a current Ed Visa has to go and reapply for a new one, and others are saying that this Aug 29th date thing only applies to visas that have reached 12 months.

Can I ask how many months you've got left on your visa? It might help clarify things a bit more because what you've been posting is a massive change in how every single Ed Visa works- essentially cancelling every single one in the country and making everybody reapply- and that doesn't seem to be what the school is saying.

I am well over 24 months. So any 2nd or more year student must reapply. What they told me was "everybody" but in a hurry they forgot to tell me that "with more than 12 months". Quite busy there, customers coming and going.

Edited by Timwin

Hey all so I contacted the school I am at and this is the reply I copied for you all to see. Hope it clears it up as it has for me. Regards!

`Regarding to your question about 90 days report, today two of our

students have just been to the immigration office for their report,

everything is going well as it used to be. There is no requirement to

leave the country to apply for a new visa outside Thailand. So the

information you heard must be wrong. (for now everything is still the

same)

The changes on rules and regulations for ED visa is applied when it is

renewed. As school needs to present student attandance record and the

test paper. The officers also will interview the students in Thai to

check if they really come to school and learn something before they

get the visa renew for another year.

Right now to apply for the ED visa aboard, students must participate

in the class for 5 days per week and 5 hours everyday (means full time

students), my school will have to obey this rules too from the next

course as it is the new regulation, but this is not for our old

students.

There are so many changes now and noone knows what is coming up.'

5 days a week, 5 hours a day?

Nonsense..........

Not a big problem go to laos once a year and reapply. People were doing visa runs every 30 days...

This is one change among many such as the need for ID at all times reinforced again as well as notifying change of residence, and I sense there is more to come such as testing at immigration, speaking reading and writing, and who knows what else they are going to come up with. But, things are changing rapidly, you have to look at the bigger picture and see all of these changes that are taking place and why. Even people with retirement visas and non B have to report every 90 days and now non B have to leave every 90 days...

• Like 1

Well that seems ridiculous. If you have paid for a years visa then surely you get a year. Of people have to leave every three months essentially to do this no one will enrol in school as it will end up being very expensive.this will put schools out of business I think. Still confused but I think I will go with what ubon Joe said as it makes far more sense that after the year you would have to leave which I though was the case any way.

The Ed Visa is not a 1 year visa though. It's a standard 3-month visa with the ability be extended - previously indefinitely.

Hey all so I contacted the school I am at and this is the reply I copied for you all to see. Hope it clears it up as it has for me. Regards!

same)

students.

Nonsense..........

hey don't shot the messaging. I copied and pasted this direct from the email I received from the schools director.

O

Well that seems ridiculous. If you have paid for a years visa then surely you get a year. Of people have to leave every three months essentially to do this no one will enrol in school as it will end up being very expensive.this will put schools out of business I think. Still confused but I think I will go with what ubon Joe said as it makes far more sense that after the year you would have to leave which I though was the case any way.

The Ed Visa is not a 1 year visa though. It's a standard 3-month visa with the ability be extended - previously indefinitely.

. Jesus are we really splitting hairs? I came in on a single entry 3 month. I then went to immigration who put a years date stamp on it. Would you like picture proof? Also when I go every 90 days I simple get a new slip of paper that says this is not an extension of stay but a notification of address. Either way it doesn't flipping matter. Why nit pick when we are looking for the same answer!!

same)

students.

Nonsense..........

hey don't shot the messaging. I copied and pasted this direct from the email I received from the schools director.

I mean it would be a nonsense rule. 25 hours a week of contact classes is more than TRIPLE required of me during University in Australia. I don't think anyone wants 25 hours of classes a week, even legit and eager students.

same)

students.

Nonsense..........

I mean it would be a nonsense rule. 25 hours a week of contact classes is more than TRIPLE required of me during University in Australia. I don't think anyone wants 25 hours of classes a week, even legit and eager students.

I agree and I feel sorry for those house wives or husbands who want to learn but won't be able to commit because of children etc. They are tightening on their market it seems. The whole thing is just absurd but like with everything here I guess we wait and see.

HI guys, I am a new student of licensed language school in Phuket

I asked three things about ED visa to our instructor who is

informed from Phuket immigration office today

Q1. Do I have to attend class 5 days a week

A. No, 2 days a week, only mon and wed , 2 hours a day

Q2. How many times do I have to go to immigration office for extending my ED visa

A. 3 times for a year,For ex, ED visa start Aug 1 2014, first expire day is around Oct 29 2014

second ex day is around Jan 27 2015, third ex day is Apr 27 2015. you must go yourself but

don't need to pay 1900 thb for second and third extension

Q3. Do I have to go Penang again if I study Thai language back to back next year also

A. Yes. you must go to Penang again in Jul 2015 to apply ED visa as same as first year you did

In conclusion, one yaer cost of ED visa for licensed language school in Phuket is

Tuition 25000THB for 200 hours

Visa trip to Penang 4500THB

Penang Visa fee 2200 THB

Extension fee to Phiket immiguration 1900THB for 9 month

Toatal cost: 33600THB for 1 year

I hope to no change rule anymore and this info is completery correct

Thank you

. Jesus are we really splitting hairs? I came in on a single entry 3 month. I then went to immigration who put a years date stamp on it. Would you like picture proof? Also when I go every 90 days I simple get a new slip of paper that says this is not an extension of stay but a notification of address. Either way it doesn't flipping matter. Why nit pick when we are looking for the same answer!!

No it is not splitting hairs. You have been lucky that your school unlike most others is able to obtain 1 year extension and you just do 90 days reporting.

All the other do extensions and pay Bt. 1,900 every 90 days.

yes it is splitting hairs and that's bs about spending 1,900 every 90 days. Mine isn't he only school. See new post. I'm not sure where you get your info from. I don't know one person around here that pays every time they go. I do know of people who have to border run every 90 days and then pay but that is because they obtained the full year outside the kingdom.I was advised to get 3 month single entry and then paper work was completed and now I have it signed in my passport for a year with a slip of paper that gets changed every 90 days. It clearly states its reporting and not extension. So please don't tell me I am lucky. Lucks nothing to do with it. Its the procedure I was told to follow by immagration. The same as any student in my district.

I think people get confused over the word extension. My visa is valid for a year. But the chef superintendent of the local immo. I report not extend every 90 days. As you would with a marriage extension for example. Granted some people may have to extend but I don't know as that is not what I do. We are all trying to get answers regarding the same topic so I stand by what I say why split hairs.

No it is not splitting hairs. You have been lucky that your school unlike most others is able to obtain 1 year extension and you just do 90 days reporting.

yes it is splitting hairs and that's bs about spending 1,900 every 90 days. Mine isn't he only school. See new post. I'm not sure where you get your info from. I don't know one person around here that pays every time they go. I do know of people who have to border run every 90 days and then pay but that is because they obtained the full year outside the kingdom.I was advised to get 3 month single entry and then paper work was completed and now I have it signed in my passport for a year with a slip of paper that gets changed every 90 days. It clearly states its reporting and not extension. So please don't tell me I am lucky. Lucks nothing to do with it. Its the procedure I was told to follow by immagration. The same as any student in my district.

I have to spend 1,900 every 90 days and I have a year visa, well I have had 3 of them now. I guess all we can do is wait and I shall be speaking with my school tomorrow that is for sure

I think people get confused over the word extension. My visa is valid for a year. But the chef superintendent of the local immo. I report not extend every 90 days. As you would with a marriage extension for example. Granted some people may have to extend but I don't know as that is not what I do. We are all trying to get answers regarding the same topic so I stand by what I say why split hairs.

You can stand by but that doesn't make you right. "Split hairs" means discussing on things of no importance.

For people on an ED visa, paying or not paying Bt 1,900 every 90 days, and having to leave country for new visa every years it is of importance.

Here's another person paying 1,900 Bt. every three months

I have gone to immigration every 3 months to get the visa extended by another 3 months.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/749225-what-are-the-new-ed-rules/?p=8206054

Yet another, read above in this thread.

It was known already that some school only get three months extensions and so they advertise. e.g Walen school:

you will be able to extend your stay every 90 days at the local immigration office for the duration of the course. At present extensions cost 1,900 Baht.

http://www.thaiwalen.com/en/Thai_Student_Visas

So, good that you and everybody else in your district is getting longer extension, but is not the same for others, so understand that you can't speak for everybody else.

• Like 1

students.

I've sent an email to my school to see if they say they same thing about the attendance requirements for new students. This is the boat that I'm in since I've already paid for the program but haven't received my Non-O visa and won't enter the country to begin classes until January.

I'll let you know what they say.

On the plus side, I'd be fluent in Thai in no time flat if I'm in class for 25 hours a week. On the minus side, I'd be in class for 25 hours a week, which is about 13 hours more than when I was in college full time getting my BA. Not exactly what I had planned on, but if it's true, I'll just have to find a way to make it work.

Ubonjoe, have you heard anything semi-official about the attendance requirements for new students changing?

• Like 1

O

It's not splitting hairs. You haven't "paid for a years visa" at all. You have paid for a 3 month visa which can be extended subject to approval. They are 2 quite different things.

• Like 1

same)

students.

Nonsense..........

Thailand has plenty of nonsense rules. Making more of them wouldn't be too surprising.

• Like 1

I've sent an email to my school to see if they say they same thing about the attendance requirements for new students. This is the boat that I'm in since I've already paid for the program but haven't received my Non-O visa and won't enter the country to begin classes until January.

I'll let you know what they say.

On the plus side, I'd be fluent in Thai in no time flat if I'm in class for 25 hours a week. On the minus side, I'd be in class for 25 hours a week, which is about 13 hours more than when I was in college full time getting my BA. Not exactly what I had planned on, but if it's true, I'll just have to find a way to make it work.

I suppose you have paid for a regular course of about 200 hours / year.

25 hours a week is 1,250 hours a year, so it should be paid about five times more. Few if any students if any will pay for that.

Beside, schools do not have enough infrastructure to host that many classes for all their students, and do not have enough teachers

That is the reason why 25 hours a week are an unreasonable and untenable requirement, that has been set at random and circulated with the intention of looking very serious and dissuade people.

Edited by paz
  • Like 2

yes it is splitting hairs and that's bs about spending 1,900 every 90 days.

Err, no it isn't. I have been on an Ed Visa for 2 years and I pay 1900 baht every 90 days, as per the law which is quite clear. If you are getting longer its because your school is paying backhanders to immigration. Used to be quite common but for the last 1-1.5 years most people are only getting 3 month extensions on their Ed Visa and pay 1900 baht for each one.

Edited by pokerspiv
  • Like 1

After nearly 5 years of living here neighboring countries have never looked so appealing as they have in the past few weeks. In Cambodia one can buy a year work permit no questions asked for example, I am not too sure about Laos or Malaysia but I assume things cannot be as frustrating and difficult as things are becoming here, it's ridiculous.

Edited by monk213

yes it is splitting hairs and that's bs about spending 1,900 every 90 days.

Err, no it isn't. I have been on an Ed Visa for 2 years and I pay 1900 baht every 90 days, as per the law which is quite clear. If you are getting longer its because your school is paying backhanders to immigration. Used to be quite common but for the last 1-1.5 years most people are only getting 3 month extensions on their Ed Visa and pay 1900 baht for each one.

I am in a similar situation as you, more than one year studying and I have paid 1,900 every time standard, however just looking back through my passport my last visit was after renewing my visa and starting my 3rd one, however the stamp says I have 90 days to stay in the Kingdom and there is no indication that I will not have to go to Laos to renew it again before that date. Ever since my first signing up for my ED it has just been 90 day stamps with dates ever since May 2011

Yes, the law has always said 90 day stamps. However, many immigration offices used to give longer extensions in exchange for backhanders (and because it was less work for them). It's not so common any more. The first time I extended my visa I paid a 3000 baht bribe and got 15 months. Since then it has only been 3 months at a time.

I'm not sure about the law. The regulations from Nov. 2008 allows yearly extensions with no limits, but we learn from ubonjoe:

August 29th is the day a new police order goes into effect. Change to 2.9.

(2) In case of nonformal school, each permission shall be granted for a period certified by the educational institution, for no more than 90 days, total length of stay shall not exceed one year from the date of entering the Kingdom.

Types of non-formal school are such as religion, arts and sports, vocational, tutoring and skill development school as specified by the Private Education Commission ***

Also: *** Announcement from the Private Education Commission,

Subject: Types and nature of schools, teaching management and curriculum of non-formal school dated on 12 February 2009

· Religious school: a school established by sole purpose of teaching religion

· Art and Sports school: a school established to provide education of music, art and sports

· Vocational school: a school established to provide vocational skills to be applied to further carrier or as an additional skill for learners

· Tutoring school: a school established to provide additional knowledge parrarel to the general education curriculum

Skill Development school: established to develop talents, ideas and other skills of learners

Note language schools are not listed, and it seems to me that they do not fall into the same category of "non formal schools".