Phuket's Soi Gonzo bars ripped out

webfact

Phuket's Soi Gonzo bars ripped out
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1407238471_1-org.jpg
Soi Gonzo today, looking toward the back of the Aussie Bar and Bangla Rd. Photo Tuk Suksungnern

PHUKET: -- The same-same girlie bars lining both sides of Soi Gonzo, one of the grubbier side-streets off Patong’s famed Bangla Rd, have been ripped out.

Only the famed Aussie Bar, at the Bangla Rd entrance to the soi, remains.

The big tear-down is nothing to do with the army-driven clearing of businesses on public land. It’s a purely commercial decision.

The Phuket News understands that the bars will return, but the existing buildings were old, with antiquated power lines and water pipes, which would all have had to be ripped out anyway. It was simpler to tear down the whole thing.

This is not the only remake under way on Bangla, an exemplar of the Buddhist truth that there is no such thing as permanence.

Patong business leader Preechawut “Prap” Keesin, today revealed to The Phuket News that he is a partner in a new business that is close to completing a seven-month project that is seeing the Ocean Plaza building to the east of Soi Gonzo gutted and completely renovated.

“We are renewing the building to create a restaurant and coffee shop on the second floor. The ground floor will be a shopping mall and in the basement we have just opened the Tazmania Pool Lounge.”

He added, “Patong should have different options: colourful lifestyles and family options. I realised that lots of restaurants in Patong are Italian, Indian and so on. I thought it would be great to have a restaurant with a Thai and Latin theme. It will be beautiful restaurant.

The restaurant will open in time for the 2014-15 high season, he said, with opening hours from midday to midnight.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket%E2%80%99s-soi-gonzo-bars-ripped-out-47709.php

[pn]2014-08-06[/pn]

Good news, the same should be done to all the red light districts throughout Thailand. As they have become major tourist destinations (the majority of people who visit aren't even interested in the services anyway) and provide proper sanitation and fire safety installments.

Well I'm sure the rents aren't going down.  This is a nice excuse to jack up the key money and monthly rents.  Why am I not surprised that old Prap Keesin is in on this and I'm sure his dad is too, if nothing else, a silent partner.

I have good memories of Soi Gonzo going back to the Didi days, and if I'm not mistaken, the U2 bar used to be there also.

• Like 2

Well I'm sure the rents aren't going down.  This is a nice excuse to jack up the key money and monthly rents.  Why am I not surprised that old Prap Keesin is in on this and I'm sure his dad is too, if nothing else, a silent partner.

I have good memories of Soi Gonzo going back to the Didi days, and if I'm not mistaken, the U2 bar used to be there also.

U2 bar on Bangla is the same owner is the old Gozo bar that eventually became part of the Aussie bar.

This family used to own Soi Gonzo, but, I think they sold it years ago, though, I could be mistaken.

As far as I remember, U2 bar has always been on Bangla.

U2 bar on Bangla is the same owner is the old Gozo bar that eventually became part of the Aussie bar.

This family used to own Soi Gonzo, but, I think they sold it years ago, though, I could be mistaken.

As far as I remember, U2 bar has always been on Bangla.

Wow, U2 bar still around? I thought it was on the corner of soi gonzo and bangla, but I haven't been to Patong but once in about 7 years so my memory could be letting me down on exact location.

Let's hope the new suckers punters will be able to make a go of it, but I can't see rents and key money allowing a profitable bar except maybe a few in the front of the soi.

Have i got this right, was soi gonzo the place that had the large pool bar right at the end when you walked through all the inside mini bars? I'm a little mixed up on location here....

Have i got this right, was soi gonzo the place that had the large pool bar right at the end when you walked through all the inside mini bars? I'm a little mixed up on location here....

You might be thinking of Soi Lion. That had a pool area at the back, but was ripped out a few years ago.

What a shame.

Good memories of Soi Gonzo from my fast receding youth.

Aye, you’re not wrong there, lad.  crying.gif

Many a Christmas bonus spent down there in the early 2000’s. Actually the first bar soi I ventured into on me first visit to Patong in 2001 and how ironic that the last ale supped (attached piccy – new year’s eve 2013/14) was at the first bar I supped at all those years ago. The original bar was called ‘Lips Bar’ and was run by an amiable Aussie called Justin who has since passed away. 65 Baht for bottle of Chang, friendly lasses and great party vibe. Located as the last bar down on the right before you turned into the connecting passage to the next beer soi. I can’t remember the name of the bar in its final guise as I’d long stopped taking any notice, but I do remember the last owner was an Aussie who told me he was returning back home in 2014 with his missus...had enough of the crap and very little trade. Some folk say we often remember things better than they actually were but in this case, no, they were better than what it was to become for sure.

Good news, the same should be done to all the red light districts throughout Thailand. As they have become major tourist destinations (the majority of people who visit aren't even interested in the services anyway) and provide proper sanitation and fire safety installments.

Read the article again...........new bars will be replacing the old ones.