Cash help for tourists hurt in Phuket

webfact

Cash help for tourists hurt in Phuket
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1407241001_1-org.jpg
Antonio Papaleo, the first injured tourist to receive aid under the scheme, is now out of hospital. Photo Tony Boyd

PHUKET: -- The stabbing of an Italian journalist by a gang of young Thai robbers on July 3 has ushered in a new system that will help fund medical treatment for visitors who are attacked and injured in Phuket.

Investigative journalist Antonia Papaleo spent three weeks in hospital after he was stabbed, and had to have his spleen removed.

Santi Pawai, director of the Phuket Office of Tourism and Sport (POTS) explained, “As soon as I heard about the case [of Mr Papaleo], I called the Ministry of Tourism and Sports in Bangkok.

“Vachira Hospital were able to approve a B100,000 grant [for his treatment], while Patong Hospital also offered a B1,690 grant.

“ The Ministry of Tourism and Sports has a total budget of around B20 million for [such cases] throughout Thailand. We plan to set up a committee in Phuket to help tourists in the future, so that each case can be dealt with quickly and efficiently.”

Each case will be considered on its merits, he said, and “not every case will be approved however. “For example, we receive several cases everyday involving tourists who are too drunk to get on their flights.”

The amounts awarded will depend on the situation. For example, if tourists are injured in a natural disaster, a terrorist act, an assault, a rape or an accident, they may receive a special grant and immediate help. If the accident involves alcohol or drugs there will be no award.

Tourists may receive a grant of B100,000 for medical costs or as much as B300,000 if they lose a limb or an organ. Rape victims will get B20,000.

If the tourist is required to stay in hospital and this affects their travel plans, they may receive an additional B2,000 per day for up to 10 days, for food and accommodation.

Pol Col ML Pattanajak Jakkapan, superintendent of Kamala Police Station, said, “The reason for this is the Antonio Papaleo case.

“He suffered a cut spleen in the attack and was taken to Patong Hospital initially and then to Vachira Hospital where he stayed for around 10 days.

“We discovered that all nine offenders who attacked Antonio already had criminal records. We arrested eight and are still looking for the ninth.

“Pol Maj Gen Krajang Suwannarat, heading the Phuket Police Force, and other senior police officers, believe that tourists should not be faced with such terrible situations. So we cooperated with the Phuket Tourist Association and the POTS to find the best way to help.”

Sathirapong Na Takuatung, the new president of the Phuket Tourism Association, thanked Vachira Phuket Hospital for offering support to the officials and for making generous grants to tourists.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/cash-help-for-tourists-hurt-in-phuket-47710.php

[pn]2014-08-06[/pn]

Really, the attackers should pay. As far as I know, that is how Thai law works. There seems to be another law in place where there is a payout from the government that has been around for 12 years and most foreigners didn't use it in the past. It seems that the rise of crime and the cost of medical care scared someone to change the laws.

http://www.thailandlaw.org/thailand-personal-injury.html

http://www.thebigchilli.com/features/victim-of-a-crime-you-may-be-eligible-for-compensation

Edited by horsewell
  • Like 1

Rape victimes will get 450
Write that in any Western press 100% of readers will believe it's a printing mistake !

450?  The article said B20,000 for rape victoms.  Maybe your converting to some other currency.

I thing the B1690 from Patong hospital was a typo, maybe they meant B1,690,000

• Like 1

Really, the attackers should pay. As far as I know, that is how Thai law works. There seems to be another law in place where there is a payout from the government that has been around for 12 years and most foreigners didn't use it in the past. It seems that the rise of crime and the cost of medical care scared someone to change the laws.

http://www.thebigchilli.com/features/victim-of-a-crime-you-may-be-eligible-for-compensation

you are right of course but i doubt if these low life thugs with previous convictions could get even 5,000 Baht together. No tourist should have to pay their own medical costs for such horrendous assaults by members of the host country,it should be a matter of pride that the state takes over the costs.

• Like 2

While I don't know that I agree with the private sector helping out drunks who get into fights, I do agree that it is good for business to help tourists that are victims of crimes and accidents while in Thailand. In Honolulu they have just such an organization that works with hospitals, hotels, airlines and law  enforcement to assist tourists in trouble. It is the right thing to do and it reduces or eliminates the bad press that a location might get if they do nothing to help.

100,000 baht would only cover two days in Bangkok/Pattaya hospital.

It would cover 2 days in a private room with a western menu in an international hospital.  A bed on a ward in a state hospital costs nothing like that whether in Bangkok, Pattaya or anywhere else in Thailand.

• Like 1

Write that in any Western press 100% of readers will believe it's a printing mistake !

450?  The article said B20,000 for rape victoms.  Maybe your converting to some other currency.
  I thing the B1690 from Patong hospital was a typo, maybe they meant B1,690,000
450 euro,10 second latter I thought I had forgotten the euro sign , edited the post again but the euro signe from my iPad is not recognise, why ? Edited by Tchooptip

It would cover 2 days in a private room with a western menu in an international hospital.  A bed on a ward in a state hospital costs nothing like that whether in Bangkok, Pattaya or anywhere else in Thailand.

I wouldn't let my dog stay in the state hospitals I've seen in Thailand. A friend stayed in the Bangkok/Pattaya hospital for one night, cost him 40,000 baht, that was in ICU though.

OK I switched to my computer, why the € sign from my Ipad is not recognize once edited on TV????... grrrrsmile.png

How generous of Patong Hospital to open their budget and grant Mr. Papaleo a whopping 1,690bht grant. :-\ SMH

Well he was a journalist and that could bring some bad attention to the image of "safe and peaceful" Thailand.

Don't expect them to be so generous for other tourists. 

• Like 1

How long would you have to wait I wonder if the attackers were the ones paying.

Why do you think in the last year that there has been so much violence?  Do you think it is because of more community awareness or more newspapers trying to make money?  When I moved here 10 months ago, I didn't think it was going to be as unsafe as where I was coming from, which was the San Francisco Bay Area  California, USA  Where we live in Thailand is pretty safe, Nonthaburi, but now am starting to think it is the same as at home and a smaller country so its easier to feel the impact. But can't go back, as because it is to expensive to live on retirement income. So we just hope for a better outcome with the new Government. 

I wouldn't let my dog stay in the state hospitals I've seen in Thailand. A friend stayed in the Bangkok/Pattaya hospital for one night, cost him 40,000 baht, that was in ICU though.

FYI,

I had the pleasure of staying in a private room at the Bangkok, Pattaya hospital for 2 nights just over a month ago, The cost was 48,427 baht that was inclusive of all medication etc.

It was a very nice room with a sea view lol.

I don't blame you for wanting the best hospital you can afford, I used the state hospitals as an example only because you quoted about the most expensive hospital going, there are of course many options in between these.  I see no relevance in how much the most expensive hospitals charge in the case of how much compensation Thailand will give to tourists. 

I spent 4 days in Maharaj Government Hospital in CM.  I've also spent 10 days at Bangkok Hospital. 

The care at Maharaj was excellent.  Top notch.  The only downside was the wait to get in.
I won't comment on Bangkok Hospital other to say it was nice and clean, shiny, great decor. 

As far as not even taking your dog to a government hospital -- fine with me.  The fewer people who use these facilities, the less of a wait for us who choose to use them.