Cash help for tourists hurt in Phuket

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rape victimes will get 450
Write that in any Western press 100% of readers will believe it's a printing mistake !

450?  The article said B20,000 for rape victoms.  Maybe your converting to some other currency.
  I thing the B1690 from Patong hospital was a typo, maybe they meant B1,690,000
450 euro,10 second latter I thought I had forgotten the euro sign , edited the post again but the euro signe from my iPad is not recognise, why ? Edited by Tchooptip

100,000 baht would only cover two days in Bangkok/Pattaya hospital.

It would cover 2 days in a private room with a western menu in an international hospital.  A bed on a ward in a state hospital costs nothing like that whether in Bangkok, Pattaya or anywhere else in Thailand.

I wouldn't let my dog stay in the state hospitals I've seen in Thailand. A friend stayed in the Bangkok/Pattaya hospital for one night, cost him 40,000 baht, that was in ICU though.

Rape victimes will get 450
Write that in any Western press 100% of readers will believe it's a printing mistake !

OK I switched to my computer, why the € sign from my Ipad is not recognize once edited on TV????... grrrrsmile.png

How generous of Patong Hospital to open their budget and grant Mr. Papaleo a whopping 1,690bht grant. :-\ SMH

Well he was a journalist and that could bring some bad attention to the image of "safe and peaceful" Thailand.

Don't expect them to be so generous for other tourists. 

• Like 1

Really, the attackers should pay. As far as I know, that is how Thai law works. There seems to be another law in place where there is a payout from the government that has been around for 12 years and most foreigners didn't use it in the past. It seems that the rise of crime and the cost of medical care scared someone to change the laws.

http://www.thailandlaw.org/thailand-personal-injury.html

http://www.thebigchilli.com/features/victim-of-a-crime-you-may-be-eligible-for-compensation

How long would you have to wait I wonder if the attackers were the ones paying.

Why do you think in the last year that there has been so much violence?  Do you think it is because of more community awareness or more newspapers trying to make money?  When I moved here 10 months ago, I didn't think it was going to be as unsafe as where I was coming from, which was the San Francisco Bay Area  California, USA  Where we live in Thailand is pretty safe, Nonthaburi, but now am starting to think it is the same as at home and a smaller country so its easier to feel the impact. But can't go back, as because it is to expensive to live on retirement income. So we just hope for a better outcome with the new Government. 

It would cover 2 days in a private room with a western menu in an international hospital.  A bed on a ward in a state hospital costs nothing like that whether in Bangkok, Pattaya or anywhere else in Thailand.

I wouldn't let my dog stay in the state hospitals I've seen in Thailand. A friend stayed in the Bangkok/Pattaya hospital for one night, cost him 40,000 baht, that was in ICU though.

FYI,

I had the pleasure of staying in a private room at the Bangkok, Pattaya hospital for 2 nights just over a month ago, The cost was 48,427 baht that was inclusive of all medication etc.

It was a very nice room with a sea view lol.

I don't blame you for wanting the best hospital you can afford, I used the state hospitals as an example only because you quoted about the most expensive hospital going, there are of course many options in between these.  I see no relevance in how much the most expensive hospitals charge in the case of how much compensation Thailand will give to tourists. 

I spent 4 days in Maharaj Government Hospital in CM.  I've also spent 10 days at Bangkok Hospital. 

The care at Maharaj was excellent.  Top notch.  The only downside was the wait to get in.
I won't comment on Bangkok Hospital other to say it was nice and clean, shiny, great decor. 

As far as not even taking your dog to a government hospital -- fine with me.  The fewer people who use these facilities, the less of a wait for us who choose to use them.