BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
BV70

Can I get an ED visa for learning other 'cultural' skills asides Thai language?

I'm looking to apply for an ED visa, having spent the last 18 months in Thailand on a tourist visa. The thing is, I want to do it properly. By that I mean I don't just want a visa with no intention to study anything. However my interests lie further than speaking Thai. I read an ED visa covers courses in Thai language and Muay Thai. Now I'm no where agile enough to do Muay Thai but I quite fancy turning my hand to cooking skills and learning Thai massage, as both would be useful if/when I decided to return to the West - or indeed find enough cash to set up a business in SE Asia. Would such cultural interest areas be covered by an ED? If so, are there any genuine schools offering visas and courses for such subjects as cooking and massage and where can they be found?

If, as I suspect, the ED visa is only available to language students, then how can I go about finding a genuine language school in Bangkok that isn't simply a visa issuing outlet (ie ghost school) with no attempt at encouraging you to learn skills, which my research suggests are in the majority? Sadly I'm not awash with cash, so realistic costs for attending such courses over the mid to long-term, perhaps on a part-time basis stretched over a couple of years, to break the cost down.

Any advice based on experience is very welcome. Especially pointers on studying Thai cooking/massage.

Thanks in advance...

Moved to the Courses in Thailand forum.

• Like 1

The subject is irrelevant, the only criteria is that your school has been approved by the ministry of education to issue visas. However, I do not know of any schools that offer the courses you are interested in that are licensed.

Edited by pokerspiv
  • Like 1

The subject is irrelevant, the only criteria is that your school has been approved by the ministry of education to issue visas. However, I do not know of any schools that offer the courses you are interested in that are licensed.

Thanks. So to answer the second part of my question, do you (or anyone else) know of a definite list of genuine education outlets in BKK, as opposed to the ghost schools, that I can approach for advice?

There are certainly plenty of schools that offer vocational and degree courses, but their classes won't be in English and the courses will be a lot more expensive.

People on Ed Visas mostly learn Thai for a reason, it's most readily available and cheapest course to learn.

Once you have spent a year or two learning how to make somtam correctly (wield that mortar and pestle), you will no doubt be invited to demonstrate your Thai culinary skills to the nice immigration people at a banquet in Cheng Wattana.

• Like 1

OK. I was thinking maybe korean bbq for the guys and shoulder rub for the girls. Maybe I'll qualify for citizenship then?

2 hours a day, 4 days a week, MAX 1.5 years, costs double as what it is now, NEW rules/law as of yesterday.

School about 50.000 baht a year

Visa yearly, including Laos about 15.000 baht.

travel and time, up to you, should save money for not drinking in the bar.

Interesting.

Can get educational visa for learning Thai, learning Chinese, Mui Thai, Thai massage, be a monk but not Thai cooking.

This seems valid but maybe no registered schools speaking English.

Maybe all Thai restaurants are with Thai chef.

Good luck

2 hours a day, 4 days a week, MAX 1.5 years, costs double as what it is now, NEW rules/law as of yesterday.

Did you pull this information out of your butthole?

Most schools charge 20,000-30,000 baht per year. 50,000 is ludicrous.

• Like 1

I believe that if you re-read his post, you'll see what he's referring to is that the poster is saying that immigration have changed the requirements for an Edu visa, so that instead of 4h per week, students now need to study 8h per week. Which will cause the price of a course to double.

This would mean that 20,000 - 30,000 THB per year, will double, so 40,000 - 60,000 THB per year (e.g. roughly 50,000 THB).

I haven't seen the announcement which the poster was referring to, so don't know if this change is happening, but I had previously heard that this change was potentially on the cards.

@OP - The quotes above are in reference to language schools. I don't know of any schools which offer visas for studying cultural activities in Thailand, but I do believe that learning the language is a good idea. Alternatively, it's not cultural, but you can also study at universities (Most of the internationally recognised universities have decent international programs), which might be more to your liking.

Very rude post.

As explained the rules have changed, more lessons equals more cost, pretty simple to work out

Visit Mahidol University International College, which functions in English, and ask about taking college-level courses. Likely many other colleges in Thailand can also answer ED visa questions for their locations. MUIC is in Salaya, West of BKK on hwy 338.wai.gif