Central Pattaya knife attack leaves American seriously injured

webfact

post expressing anti-Thai generalism removed

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

• Like 1

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

How bad is this, the guy was carrying. A knife, ??? Who in there right mind would carry a knife ???

I know a few things annoy us here, but it ain't worth confronting any of them, you just never know.....

Hope the guy makes a full recovery....

I carry a knife with me everyday. Have done for the last 40 odd years. Obviously don't take it on planes with me, but will have one available at my destination place of work. Habitual I suppose.

He is a butcher after all, but the question would be what would he want with one doing massages?

To be clear, I don't carry a knife for self protection or to cause injury to others.

I agree. I have three folding knives here in Thailand. Two Gerber Bear Grylls and a third black one I bought at a market here I can't read the name but it's really a cool folding knife. I always have one in my pocket. I find I use them every day to open packages, cut pills in half and so on.

post-187908-0-59461500-1407383900_thumb.

Edited by thailiketoo

"When in Rome"... people make mistakes, nothing bad happened and because of this the Thai would have thought it a personal attack from the American. If the opposite had happened and the American had been at fault and put his hands together and said ka toot kap the Thai very most likely would have given the same "polite" gesture and moved on. When in a country that has a "polite particle" in their language for both male and female, even if you are in the right a display of anger is considered very impolite.

I quite agree.

As an American living in Asia many years, I have come to realize that Americans are prone to quick anger and

vulgarities. Americans seem to think this is normal behavior, but in Asia if you get nasty and call people dirty

names as a result of some minor incident, it is not taken lightly.

As this case demonstrates, Americans who plan to visit or live in Asia would do well to learn a bit of manners

and civility. Otherwise they would be better off to stay in America.

Well, I am not sure Americans are any more reactionary than many others. Maybe. But, the reaction was over the top. When you get in an accident here, politeness is the best policy. Most Thai people react to politeness in a positive way. A fighting spirit usually does not go over well here. Nor anywhere, for that matter. Of course this clown overreacted. Who stabs someone over a perceived insult? Only an incredibly small man, with an enormous inferiority complex. Regardless, why test the man? It does not sound like it was a serious accident. I realize there are a lot of careless drivers here, and it can be infuriating. But, it is always best to be polite, and respectful. It goes a long way toward solving problems.

Why test the man? It does not sound like it was a serious accident "WHAT" It wasent a serious accident but what happend afterwards was very serious a test may have discoverd a yabba crazed punk !!!

"When in Rome"... people make mistakes, nothing bad happened and because of this the Thai would have thought it a personal attack from the American. If the opposite had happened and the American had been at fault and put his hands together and said ka toot kap the Thai very most likely would have given the same "polite" gesture and moved on. When in a country that has a "polite particle" in their language for both male and female, even if you are in the right a display of anger is considered very impolite.

I quite agree.

As an American living in Asia many years, I have come to realize that Americans are prone to quick anger and

vulgarities. Americans seem to think this is normal behavior, but in Asia if you get nasty and call people dirty

As this case demonstrates, Americans who plan to visit or live in Asia would do well to learn a bit of manners

Could replace your word "Americans" by Westerners

• Like 1

"How bad is this, the guy was carrying. A knife, ??? Who in there right mind would carry a knife ???"

A chef or a butcher would carry a knife, which is what he did for his full time job

He was returning from his job as a masseur! You read the story? And why, even if he was returning from working as a butcher, would it be acceptable to carry a knife? He does his trimming and cutting outdoors, at the side of a road?

Some comments on here never fail to amaze.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What bothers me is the number of posters who seem to be implying the Thai was somehow justified in his actions. Whilst we may not know all the facts anybody who pulls a knife and inflicts that kind of damage is guilty of attempted murder and should spend a very long time behind bars.

If you or your loved ones are in danger then this may be acceptable, but this ridiculous bullshit Thai idea of loss of face is not sufficient justification for trying to kill someone.

Thais are 'CHILDREN WITH GUNS'. They are mostly dim and unable to process their emotions, they will never be able to compete with the other ASEAN nations, I worry for the future of this country.

Have to agrree, about the attempted murder bit, but rest of the post is quite frankly ridiculous

So pleased you have to agree with part of my post but perhaps you should have concluded by saying 'in your opinion' blah,blah,blah.

I am happy to call Thailand home and enjoy living here, however, my post is based on many, many years of interacting with Thais, it is an opinion shared by many people I know, including some Thais who are often embarrassed and exasperated by the behaviour and stupidity of their countrymen. Yes we may all be sad, bitter, twisted individuals (but I don't think we are). Perhaps your experiences of Thailand have all been of the wonderful 'come share my somtam' type. Or maybe you just believe the Thai smile!

Just because one chooses to live in a country does not mean one has to staunchly defend it or even like everything about it or its people. Maybe I just need to move to your Soi!

In my opinion after living in uk for 50 years, iam not the fish and chips type, and 12 years + in Thailand gives me more than an insight into thai smiles.I can even make somtam pet pet.I have replied to one post, does that mean i am staunchly defending Thailand, far from it, i know the warts and all Thailand ,thank yo, enjoy your day

What bothers me is the number of posters who seem to be implying the Thai was somehow justified in his actions. Whilst we may not know all the facts anybody who pulls a knife and inflicts that kind of damage is guilty of attempted murder and should spend a very long time behind bars.

If you or your loved ones are in danger then this may be acceptable, but this ridiculous bullshit Thai idea of loss of face is not sufficient justification for trying to kill someone.

Thais are 'CHILDREN WITH GUNS'. They are mostly dim and unable to process their emotions, they will never be able to compete with the other ASEAN nations, I worry for the future of this country.

Thais are 'CHILDREN WITH GUNS'. They are mostly dim and unable to process their emotions

​Because most Americans are capable to process their emotions, you are absolutely right!biggrin.png Take a ride on YouTubecheesy.gif

In Australia you frequently see news reports of people being rammed, having their cars physically smashed by people when they can't get away, followed and assaulted in their own homes, even shot at. Many have just made a small mistake and sometimes they don't even know what they have done to enrage these people. Humans are basically the same everywhere. Now there must be some reason why so many foreigners want to holiday and live in Thailand. If they want to behave how they do in there own country, and complain why Thai people are "so different", then why don't they just stay home. All problems solved.

• Like 2

"How bad is this, the guy was carrying. A knife, ??? Who in there right mind would carry a knife ???"

A chef or a butcher would carry a knife, which is what he did for his full time job

was he processing animals or prepping vegetables on his bike, you moron?

he had a knife for protection, nothing more.

if he was a farmer I suppose it would be normal if he was carrying a scythe around town?

• Like 1

In Australia you frequently see news reports of people being rammed, having their cars physically smashed by people when they can't get away, followed and assaulted in their own homes, even shot at. Many have just made a small mistake and sometimes they don't even know what they have done to enrage these people. Humans are basically the same everywhere. Now there must be some reason why so many foreigners want to holiday and live in Thailand. If they want to behave how they do in there own country, and complain why Thai people are "so different", then why don't they just stay home. All problems solved.

Funny that Is,ent it

"Sometimes they dont even know what they have done"

How bad is this, the guy was carrying. A knife, ??? Who in there right mind would carry a knife ???

I know a few things annoy us here, but it ain't worth confronting any of them, you just never know.....

A butcher?

Well it happened at 10:30pm and it looks like Daniel still has his shades on there in ER, so maybe he didn't see Prasit coming?

Funny no mention whether or not the American was drunk on his cycle.That could have been a cause for frustration if wandering on the road------- just a point

Doesn't mention if he was on the correct side of the road, doesn't mention if he had a light on the bike, I'd bet that he was being very silent and was hard to see for the Thai guy. Thai guy didn't see him or hear him coming and then gets a big shouting at by the bicyclist. Big American ranting at a small Thai guy, makes sense to me that he'd pull a knife.

It makes sense to you that a smaller man may pull a knife and stab a larger man? On what planet does this make sense?

• Like 1

Well it happened at 10:30pm and it looks like Daniel still has his shades on there in ER, so maybe he didn't see Prasit coming?

Funny no mention whether or not the American was drunk on his cycle.That could have been a cause for frustration if wandering on the road------- just a point

Doesn't mention if he was on the correct side of the road, doesn't mention if he had a light on the bike, I'd bet that he was being very silent and was hard to see for the Thai guy. Thai guy didn't see him or hear him coming and then gets a big shouting at by the bicyclist. Big American ranting at a small Thai guy, makes sense to me that he'd pull a knife.

It makes sense to you that a smaller man may pull a knife and stab a larger man? On what planet does this make sense?

Purrfect sence the little man was a butcher with a knife confronted by a larger fella

so the butcher only tryed to trim him down to a more manageanle size maybe ?

• Like 1

MUCH more to this story than meets the eye. First, the guy is no serious cyclist. Second, and to a prior post, wearing sunglasses so late..., guessing he's cycling back to a friend's place on a "borrowed" bike after pounding more than a few. Third, not that it's proper on either end but I can only imagine the adrenal rush from the American after being struck followed by words stated that he now regrets. The Thai guy...., let's give him a bit of a break pending better news...., everyone has a breaking point.

No references to pushing shoving or other physical activity but were I on a corner close by I could just about guarantee the American was physical.

My .02

Plus some shock and adrenalin kicks in too. Makes it easier to 'lose it'.

MUCH more to this story than meets the eye. First, the guy is no serious cyclist. Second, and to a prior post, wearing sunglasses so late..., guessing he's cycling back to a friend's place on a "borrowed" bike after pounding more than a few. Third, not that it's proper on either end but I can only imagine the adrenal rush from the American after being struck followed by words stated that he now regrets. The Thai guy...., let's give him a bit of a break pending better news...., everyone has a breaking point.

No references to pushing shoving or other physical activity but were I on a corner close by I could just about guarantee the American was physical.

My .02

Plus some shock and adrenalin kicks in too. Makes it easier to 'lose it'.
The sunglasses are medical glasses protection from the lights above

Did Khun Prasit apologize? I highly doubt it, since most people who would somehow manage to ride a motorbike and hit a bicycle aren't the apologizing type. I'll keep it in mind that if someone gets upset with me, I have the - shall we say, cultural duty? - to attack with a knife.

most people who would somehow manage to ride a motorbike and hit a bicycle aren't the apologizing type

What exactly are you saying here?

The American exchanged angry words with the Thai, possibly even showing his anger first. When will westerners ever learn that you don't cause any Thai to loose face in public. Westerners don't understand Thai's, and Thai's don't understand Westerners, so you want the Thai's to change to a western way of thinking, just like that, Never Happen. You have to do as the Romans do, to be able understand the Thai thinking, I live in a village where there are maybe 1% westerners, and everyday I'm able to analayze my Thai neighbors thinking patterns.

Edited by amse

I think it would be difficult to bone out a side of beef whilst riding a motorcycle don't you ?

Well, robertthebruce, I believe if your read your history, you will see the real Robert the Bruce carried a knife, a real long one

How d'you know when you've been in Thailand too long?

When someone almost gets knived to death after being the victim of an accident and you think it's there fault for speaking up instead of groveling.

Not many Thai people would not say anything. Get your head out of your butt chaps. Yuck!

"When someone almost gets knived to death after being the victim of an accident and you think it's there fault for speaking up instead of groveling."

This very much epitomizes the kind of attitude that gets a lot of Westerners in trouble here. It totally ignores the reality that had

the American not lost his cool over a minor incident, there would have been no attack. It totally ignores the reality that in America

people get killed nearly every day for very minor altercations involving things as trivial as beeping your horn.

• Like 1

The American may be the world's biggest a*sehole and the world's worst cyclist, but that doesn't excuse the Thai guy for pulling a knife and using it on an unarmed man who apparently wasn't even attacking him.

This is Thailand. There's the excuse right there.

• Like 1

The American exchanged angry words with the Thai, possibly even showing his anger first. When will westerners ever learn that you don't cause any Thai to loose face in public. Westerners don't understand Thai's, and Thai's don't understand Westerners, so you want the Thai's to change to a western way of thinking, just like that, Never Happen. You have to do as the Romans do, to be able understand the Thai thinking, I live in a village where there are maybe 1% westerners, and everyday I'm able to analayze my Thai neighbors thinking patterns.

+1 Well said.

My gf's grandfather, while riding a bike, lost his life when he crashed into an illegally stopped pick up (unsurprisingly, no helmet). A few days later, "he" visited his daughter and told her not to take action or claim compensation against the pick up driver as he felt his time was up anyway.

Different culture, different values, different philosophies. Go figure.

I quite agree.

It is not just Americans,unbelievable when you see the newly arrived farangs shaking their heads at the driving manners of Thais.

Thais are always right,never mind if the farang thinks otherwise,the guy got exactly what he deserved. This is Thailand,lived in mostly by Thais,if farang thinks he can come over and change things that suits himself then he is a fool

My .02

+1

Most of my encounters, cyclists respect no law of the road. They are immune or something. They don't care if you are coming, they seem to always "have the right of way". They can cycle in the middle of the road, cycle very slow weaving left and right, with no respect for other road users. Being a cyclist, doesn't mean you are in your own world. I'm not there at the scene, but I'm pretty sure that cyclist was just going straight, not giving a rats ass who is behind, who is in front, who wants to U-turn, none of their business. And the motorcycle guy, finishes his work, in a rush to get home, makes his U-turn, assuming motorcycle>bicycles in right of way. It's something we learn as the common sense rule of the road. Trucks>Cars>Motorcycles>Bicycles.

So while the Thai acted overboard, I would not say the American is completely right.

My .02

+1

Most of my encounters, cyclists respect no law of the road. They are immune or something. They don't care if you are coming, they seem to always "have the right of way". They can cycle in the middle of the road, cycle very slow weaving left and right, with no respect for other road users. Being a cyclist, doesn't mean you are in your own world. I'm not there at the scene, but I'm pretty sure that cyclist was just going straight, not giving a rats ass who is behind, who is in front, who wants to U-turn, none of their business. And the motorcycle guy, finishes his work, in a rush to get home, makes his U-turn, assuming motorcycle>bicycles in right of way. It's something we learn as the common sense rule of the road. Trucks>Cars>Motorcycles>Bicycles.

So while the Thai acted overboard, I would not say the American is completely right.

Key phrase "just going straight." Have you ever driven a car (which as less visibility than a motorbike)? One thing you do when you make a turn is LOOK WHERE YOU ARE GOING. But yeah, I know what you mean...assume Thais can't drive and be more vigilant.