Central Pattaya knife attack leaves American seriously injured

webfact

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

MUCH more to this story than meets the eye. First, the guy is no serious cyclist. Second, and to a prior post, wearing sunglasses so late..., guessing he's cycling back to a friend's place on a "borrowed" bike after pounding more than a few. Third, not that it's proper on either end but I can only imagine the adrenal rush from the American after being struck followed by words stated that he now regrets. The Thai guy...., let's give him a bit of a break pending better news...., everyone has a breaking point.

No references to pushing shoving or other physical activity but were I on a corner close by I could just about guarantee the American was physical.

My .02

+1

Most of my encounters, cyclists respect no law of the road. They are immune or something. They don't care if you are coming, they seem to always "have the right of way". They can cycle in the middle of the road, cycle very slow weaving left and right, with no respect for other road users. Being a cyclist, doesn't mean you are in your own world. I'm not there at the scene, but I'm pretty sure that cyclist was just going straight, not giving a rats ass who is behind, who is in front, who wants to U-turn, none of their business. And the motorcycle guy, finishes his work, in a rush to get home, makes his U-turn, assuming motorcycle>bicycles in right of way. It's something we learn as the common sense rule of the road. Trucks>Cars>Motorcycles>Bicycles.

So while the Thai acted overboard, I would not say the American is completely right.

How do you figure? Just because he was an American? What do we know? A guy on a motorcycle hits a guy on a bicycle and angry words are exchanged. Do you know something outside of your prejudice? How could you say anyone was right or wrong except stabbing someone with a knife trying to kill him is obviously wrong? What possible rationalization could the Thai have had for trying to kill the guy? Do you think accidents in Thailand are decided by knife fights?

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

MUCH more to this story than meets the eye. First, the guy is no serious cyclist. Second, and to a prior post, wearing sunglasses so late..., guessing he's cycling back to a friend's place on a "borrowed" bike after pounding more than a few. Third, not that it's proper on either end but I can only imagine the adrenal rush from the American after being struck followed by words stated that he now regrets. The Thai guy...., let's give him a bit of a break pending better news...., everyone has a breaking point.

No references to pushing shoving or other physical activity but were I on a corner close by I could just about guarantee the American was physical.

My .02

+1

Most of my encounters, cyclists respect no law of the road. They are immune or something. They don't care if you are coming, they seem to always "have the right of way". They can cycle in the middle of the road, cycle very slow weaving left and right, with no respect for other road users. Being a cyclist, doesn't mean you are in your own world. I'm not there at the scene, but I'm pretty sure that cyclist was just going straight, not giving a rats ass who is behind, who is in front, who wants to U-turn, none of their business. And the motorcycle guy, finishes his work, in a rush to get home, makes his U-turn, assuming motorcycle>bicycles in right of way. It's something we learn as the common sense rule of the road. Trucks>Cars>Motorcycles>Bicycles.

So while the Thai acted overboard, I would not say the American is completely right.

Key phrase "just going straight." Have you ever driven a car (which as less visibility than a motorbike)? One thing you do when you make a turn is LOOK WHERE YOU ARE GOING. But yeah, I know what you mean...assume Thais can't drive and be more vigilant.

Disregarding road rules, and taking in the desire to prevent accidents. If I was the cyclist, I would slow down and stop. Not because the motorcycle had the right of way, but just to prevent an accident. It's the same as slowing down when you are going straight and another car trespassed the red light, the reason we slow down and stop is just to prevent the accident, no need for pointing fingers. And this is something not taught, but more learned in driving around in Thailand. I am pretty sure the motorcyclist saw the cyclist BUT, assumed the cyclist would stop. It's the same concept when the trucks U-turn, even though you are on high speed in your car going straight. It's generally assumed you would stop. Like I stated earlier Trucks/Bus>Cars>Motorcycles>cyclist.

You have a good point though, just assume they can't drive, and always prepare for other's mistakes. In the end, we will have no accidents. That's where the cyclist fail. I don't know him personally, so my assumptions may be wrong. He may be hot headed and thinking "No buddy, ain't happening today, I have the right of way, I'm not going to give in to you, if you wanna hit me, go ahead, if you dare."

How bad is this, the guy was carrying. A knife, ??? Who in there right mind would carry a knife ???

I know a few things annoy us here, but it ain't worth confronting any of them, you just never know.....

Hope the guy makes a full recovery....

I carry a knife with me everyday. Have done for the last 40 odd years. Obviously don't take it on planes with me, but will have one available at my destination place of work. Habitual I suppose.

He is a butcher after all, but the question would be what would he want with one doing massages?

To be clear, I don't carry a knife for self protection or to cause injury to others.

Then why do you..... I seem to survive without one day to day.

It just seems a risk if for some reason you do end up being searched.

Surely him being a butcher is not the point either, did he also have a bone-saw, cleaver, meat hook, carving board and an apron with him?

How bad is this, the guy was carrying. A knife, ??? Who in there right mind would carry a knife ???

I know a few things annoy us here, but it ain't worth confronting any of them, you just never know.....

tHIS is very bad. why oh why dont the thais act like americans, brits, italians

you mean carrying a Gun instead of a Knife

The same thing happened to a Canadian man I know. Confrontation, threats made to call the Tourist police. He had his eye gouged by a broken beer bottle. He had to put $6,000 on his Visa card to patch things up. Upon seeking medical treatment in Canada he was informed that the hospital in Thailand left a couple tiny pieces of broken beer bottle in the wound and also some eyelashes. He had to undergo considerable medical treatment there and fight for a disability pension from his employer. So ask yourself is it worth it?

My .02

+1

I've been cycling for 5 1/2 years in Bangkok and almost daily on all types of roads and I have rarely seen behavior such as you describe. I did once see a farang woman come out from soi 15 to merge on Sukhumvit and cut across all lanes to achieve the fast lane on a mountain bike and she was not able to maintain motor vehicle speed in that lane. I talked to a young, Thai cyclist who definitely had a bad attitude about motor vehicles. These types are using their bicycles in some kind of protest against motor vehicles similar to the "Critical Mass" movements or they are stupid or they have a death wish.

But as I've stated, I only rarely observe this behavior in Bangkok and I'm out there A LOT.

Where have you been observing this anti-social, cycling behavior?

Edited by MaxYakov

I carry a knife with me everyday. Have done for the last 40 odd years. Obviously don't take it on planes with me, but will have one available at my destination place of work. Habitual I suppose.

He is a butcher after all, but the question would be what would he want with one doing massages?

To be clear, I don't carry a knife for self protection or to cause injury to others.

Then why do you..... I seem to survive without one day to day.

It just seems a risk if for some reason you do end up being searched.

Surely him being a butcher is not the point either, did he also have a bone-saw, cleaver, meat hook, carving board and an apron with him?

12 die in van, truck crash in Chaiyaphum province. 1. A knife with a saw edge might have got them out of the van. 2. A knife can open packages that are shrink wrapped so I can check out the stuff before I buy it. 3. A knife can cut of tags if you want to wear what you have just purchased. 4. Restaurants in Thailand never give you a knife. I use a knife when I eat to cut stuff on my plate. 5. I take medication (pills) that need to be cut in half. 6. I can cut hanging threads on my jeans. 7. It is my last line of defense if my heavy brass belt buckle and weighted cane don't stop the perpetrator.

Edited by thailiketoo

My .02

+1

How do you figure? Just because he was an American? What do we know? A guy on a motorcycle hits a guy on a bicycle and angry words are exchanged. Do you know something outside of your prejudice? How could you say anyone was right or wrong except stabbing someone with a knife trying to kill him is obviously wrong? What possible rationalization could the Thai have had for trying to kill the guy? Do you think accidents in Thailand are decided by knife fights?

Doesn't matter if he is American or not. As you can read my post, it applies to all. You are the one who is prejudice when you decide to pick American out for bashing. There was never any other assumptions, other than your own accused prejudice. Today the cyclist regardless of any nationality would be treated the same.

I can say anyone is right or wrong, yes it's every citizens freewill and free speech. Refresh yourself if required. But no, I haven't. I will allow you to direct quote from my post where I say a particular party was wrong or right.

Your use of rationalization of killing by knives, is irrelevant to my posts. Nowhere have I stated any of those accused by you. Please learn to read, and keep that hothead accusations to yourself.

I am only suggesting ways, people can prevent this encounter of accidents, and ensure safety of all road users regardless of who is right or wrong. It takes two idiots to cause an accident. If there was only 1 idiot, the other "wise" one would prevent it from happening, regardless of ego, race, or righteousness. thumbsup.gif

So to all farangs: thai men are easily butthurt, don't show any aggression unless you are ready to throw down. Thai's don't cuss each other either, even if they have accidents. They know this too.

Edited by sz1a

you mean carrying a Gun instead of a Knife

Yep, surprise the sucker who brings a knife to a gun fight

Doesn't matter if he is American or not. As you can read my post, it applies to all. You are the one who is prejudice when you decide to pick American out for bashing. There was never any other assumptions, other than your own accused prejudice. Today the cyclist regardless of any nationality would be treated the same.

I can say anyone is right or wrong, yes it's every citizens freewill and free speech. Refresh yourself if required. But no, I haven't. I will allow you to direct quote from my post where I say a particular party was wrong or right.

Your use of rationalization of killing by knives, is irrelevant to my posts. Nowhere have I stated any of those accused by you. Please learn to read, and keep that hothead accusations to yourself.

I am only suggesting ways, people can prevent this encounter of accidents, and ensure safety of all road users regardless of who is right or wrong. It takes two idiots to cause an accident. If there was only 1 idiot, the other "wise" one would prevent it from happening, regardless of ego, race, or righteousness. thumbsup.gif

You wrote, "So while the Thai acted overboard, I would not say the American is completely right."

What did the American do wrong that caused him to be almost killed by the Thai motorcycle driver? Not what you think may have happened. What do you know he did?

After all you did write, "So while the Thai acted overboard, I would not say the American is completely right." so you must know.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

My .02

+1

I've been cycling for 5 1/2 years in Bangkok and almost daily on all types of roads and I have rarely seen behavior such as you describe. I did once see a farang woman come out from soi 15 to merge on Sukhumvit and cut across all lanes to achieve the fast lane on a mountain bike and she was not able to maintain motor vehicle speed in that lane. I talked to a young, Thai cyclist who definitely had a bad attitude about motor vehicles. These types are using their bicycles in some kind of protest against motor vehicles similar to the "Critical Mass" movements or they are stupid or they have a death wish.

But as I've stated, I only rarely observe this behavior in Bangkok and I'm out there A LOT.

Where have you been observing this anti-social, cycling behavior?

I cycle too, and do not see this behavior.

However when I am driving, mostly in crowded 2 lane streets, where the cars, motorcycles, and cyclists have to share that road. I see this behavior a lot. Highly probable you won't see it, I probably won't myself too, I wouldn't want to cycle in those places as well. Because cars will often get hot tempered into seeing pass motorcycles and cyclists, and have the urge to want to get ahead. That's why when I am on two wheel vehicles, I mirror check a lot, to see if I am in anyone's way, and let them pass first even if it wastes a few seconds of my time. Just common road courtesy. thumbsup.gif

Thank God they don't.

Haven't you checked out international the news lately ?

Much worse road rage incidents in UK & USA.

Which only impact people who are in the UK or USA - and are therefore nothing to do with Thailand.

Other than of course being and example of a Thai apologist's obfuscation over a piece of factual negative news concerning a foreigner's experience of a violent attack from a Thai person in Thailand.

• Like 2

"When in Rome"... people make mistakes, nothing bad happened and because of this the Thai would have thought it a personal attack from the American. If the opposite had happened and the American had been at fault and put his hands together and said ka toot kap the Thai very most likely would have given the same "polite" gesture and moved on. When in a country that has a "polite particle" in their language for both male and female, even if you are in the right a display of anger is considered very impolite.

So impolite it warranted attempted murder right?

You took the words out of my... fingertips, Apetley. As I started reading the replies I was wondering how long it would take before someone would start 1/ blaming the victim 2/ patronizing the victim plus the rest of us about how wrong it is to display anger in Thailand, thus implying that the rage response was somehow justified.

All I can say is I wish that Mr Sanctimonious and the rest of the Sanctimonious Club find themselves in a similar situation one day.

Human beings do NOT control their reactions at all times, that's one of the things that make them human as opposed to angels. This being said there is a thing called 'civilization' where one learns not to cross certain lines even when fueled by anger. Pulling out a knife and stabbing a guy who insulted you (for whatever reason) is way beyond this line, anywhere in the world and there is no justification for such violence.

I went through a frightening ordeal a couple of years back because I had given one angry look at a Thai driver. JUST.ONE.LOOK. The one thing I learned from that nightmare was that when Thais lose their screws, they lose them big time. The word 'amok' incidentally, comes from the Malay language, and there are striking similarities in all Asian cultures where self control (and loss thereof) is concerned, due to a background of Confucian principles which, 2500 years after the great man died, are still incredibly prevalent all over Asia.

Yes, Asians tend to keep their anger in check better than we do, but one might well ask where does all that restrained anger go ? The answer is in the news every day, as well as in collective events like the 1965 massacres in Indonesia, the Khmer Rouge genocide, the horrors perpetrated in Myanmar since Tatmadaw (the Burmese Armed Forces) took over in 1962, the Nanking Massacre in 1937 and the list goes on.

I took the time to write down my story because I felt that new expats should be warned that in the rage department, things don't work in Asia like they do in Western countries

Most importantly, there doesn't seem to be a progressive scale in anger reaction here in the Far East. Asians will either brush it off with a laugh or jetsai, mai pen rai attitude or they will flip out massively and when that happens, trust me, get the hell out as fast as you can. Some keyboard cowboys reacted to my story by implying that I was a coward of sorts because I hadn't thrown my fist in the guy's face or pulled out a knife... No comment, except that I'm leading a normal retired life here in the Kingdom and prefer my condo near the sea than the Bangkok Hilton. This may be the wild wild East and will never cease to puzzle us foreigners, but it definitely isn't the wild wild West either, and I don't live - or wish to live - in a B-series Hollywood action movie, thank you very much.

Here is the link to the post I wrote about my personal experience :

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/735264-nightmare-in-pattaya/

Edited by Yann55
  • Like 1

tHIS is very bad. why oh why dont the thais act like americans, brits, Italians

I assume you're being sarcastic. On Thai Visa sarcasm can fly over the heads of the literalists. And often things intended to be taken seriously appear to be sarcasm.

"why oh why dont the thais act like americans,"

... and carry a gun or assault rifle.

If that happened where I use to live in the US, and the Thai pulled out a knife, he would probably be shipped home with a few holes in him. Which is why the incident of assault with a weapon and murder are significantly lower where I lived then in places like Chicago which have strict gun laws.

But I digress. Hopes for a speedy recovery for my fellow American. Shades of Troy Lee Pilkington. Thailand seems to have a open season on attempting to murder foreigners with knives and machetes. Probably because the perp is likely to get a slap on the wrist.

Edited by connda

I am only suggesting ways, people can prevent this encounter of accidents, and ensure safety of all road users regardless of who is right or wrong. It takes two idiots to cause an accident. If there was only 1 idiot, the other "wise" one would prevent it from happening, regardless of ego, race, or righteousness. alt=thumbsup.gif>

You wrote, "So while the Thai acted overboard, I would not say the American is completely right."

What did the American do wrong that caused him to be almost killed by the Thai motorcycle driver? Not what you think may have happened. What do you know he did?

After all you did write, "So while the Thai acted overboard, I would not say the American is completely right." so you must know.

If you have read my second post. I raised awareness of accident prevention.

So with your direct question. My statement stands for the words you quoted. The American may not be completely right with regards to the accident, not considering the attempted murder that took place afterwards, which you seem to be more interested in. The accident happened, it's not a guess, therefore you can stop assuming what may have happened. We know the motorcycle struck the cyclist while he was making a U-turn. Like earlier stated, if you can read, two idiots make an accident. The motorcyclist could have stopped his U-turn, but he didn't because he assumed motorcycle>cyclist. The cyclist could have stopped, but he didn't, why? This question you should seriously ask yourself. This is not a high speed crash out of control. It's a mere 10km/hr. Even a 10 year old can hit the brakes and stop the accident. Understand? Try to really evaluate the situation instead of trying to challenge others.

Stop pretending. I am sure most TV members are not at the scene of the accident. Stop using false facts to accuse other members please. My statement stands. The Thai acted overboard, American cyclist is not completely right. Others, are all your imagination and accusation.

• Like 1

I am only suggesting ways, people can prevent this encounter of accidents, and ensure safety of all road users regardless of who is right or wrong. It takes two idiots to cause an accident. If there was only 1 idiot, the other "wise" one would prevent it from happening, regardless of ego, race, or righteousness. alt=thumbsup.gif>

If you have read my second post. I raised awareness of accident prevention.

So with your direct question. My statement stands for the words you quoted. The American may not be completely right with regards to the accident, not considering the attempted murder that took place afterwards, which you seem to be more interested in. The accident happened, it's not a guess, therefore you can stop assuming what may have happened. We know the motorcycle struck the cyclist while he was making a U-turn. Like earlier stated, if you can read, two idiots make an accident. The motorcyclist could have stopped his U-turn, but he didn't because he assumed motorcycle>cyclist. The cyclist could have stopped, but he didn't, why? This question you should seriously ask yourself. This is not a high speed crash out of control. It's a mere 10km/hr. Even a 10 year old can hit the brakes and stop the accident. Understand? Try to really evaluate the situation instead of trying to challenge others.

Stop pretending. I am sure most TV members are not at the scene of the accident. Stop using false facts to accuse other members please. My statement stands. The Thai acted overboard, American cyclist is not completely right. Others, are all your imagination and accusation.

What false fact? Quote please. You are the one bickering and making up stuff not me.

The fact is from the news story we cannot say the American did anything wrong.

Please be aware of this forum rule ...

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

When I am walking down a narrow soi (no sidewalks of course), trying to cross a street with speeding cyclists, or see Thais drop their trash along the Beach Rd promenade, in order not to blurt out insults to them, I just have to bite my lip and tell my self --what a bunch of yo-yo's; -who else with common sense speeds up their car when they see pedestrians walk along a soi (other nationalities would slow down); drop trash instead of looking for a trash bin (no pride?)... Just have to tell myself there is a different mentality. Best not to show anger or say the truth to them; for they cannot handle it.

I second your sentiments Robert. I have to constantly remind myself of this. Every time someone pulls out in front of me, (at a slow pace) or doesn't indicate. it really annoys me and I'm still blowing the horn at them. Sometimes I feel like charging them with attempted murder because they just shoot out in front of me and expect me to stop while it's me that's on the main road and they're coming out of a side road. I'd just love to know what their defense would be when asked by the judge..."Did you see the motorbike (or car) coming"? and if the answer is "yes".. then why did you pull out in front of him when he was so near you"?

Thanks for another reminder to try and just practice....."Acceptance".........Hope the man makes a full recovery. ...It's a lesson for us all.

• Like 2

What false fact? Quote please. You are the one bickering and making up stuff not me.

The fact is from the news story we cannot say the American did anything wrong.

As I expected, out of words are we?

When I explained to you, the more you understand my intentions. The more you understand, the less you have to say to me. clap2.gif

The problem you have reached, which I could care less. You decided to want to provoke another member, by claiming "other stated the use of knives on the American cyclist is correct, and the cyclist is wrong with this regards". Only to be disappointed by all my UNEDITED posts, where I uphold the safety of road users, and how either side could have prevented this particular incident. Nowhere have I posted your wanted "knives discussion".

Let's try accuse prejudice = failed

Let's try accuse knives is righteous = failed

I made too many accusations, let's accuse him of making things up = Failed again...

What next? laugh.png

Guess you chose the wrong guy to pick on cheesy.gif I never ever stand down. Always have been clear, with clear intentions and motive. Rush in to accuse others by your false ideas, simply said = you lose. Hahaha

You wrote, "So while the Thai acted overboard, I would not say the American is completely right." You have no factual basis for saying the American is not completely right. You made it up. Stop the bickering or provide the facts that lead to your conclusion "I would not say the American is completely right."

My .02

Now that's a post packed with presumptions!