Central Pattaya knife attack leaves American seriously injured

webfact

What bothers me is the number of posters who seem to be implying the Thai was somehow justified in his actions. Whilst we may not know all the facts anybody who pulls a knife and inflicts that kind of damage is guilty of attempted murder and should spend a very long time behind bars.

If you or your loved ones are in danger then this may be acceptable, but this ridiculous bullshit Thai idea of loss of face is not sufficient justification for trying to kill someone.

Thais are 'CHILDREN WITH GUNS'. They are mostly dim and unable to process their emotions, they will never be able to compete with the other ASEAN nations, I worry for the future of this country.

I agree. There are alot of cowards here that condone what happened. It's clear that if they are nearly rundown by an idiot thai they would thank him??!! <deleted>? To those of you who somehow think it's alright for a thai or anyone else to make ,in this case , an illegal u-turn and nearly kill you whether you're walking or on a bike then you have serious emotional problems and a REALLY poor sense of self worth.

• Like 1

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"How bad is this, the guy was carrying. A knife, ??? Who in there right mind would carry a knife ???"

A chef or a butcher would carry a knife, which is what he did for his full time job

Well I've been a chef for over 30 years and I have never carried a knife outside of work.Why would he?

Backpack Features:

• The ultimate, all-in-one backpack for chefs and culinary students
  • Back pocket is custom built for knife case portfolio (included)
  • Laptop pocket with maximum screen size of 17in
  • Middle pocket is large enough to hold books and/or uniforms
  • Designated area with pockets for your cooking utensils (up to 15in)
  • Front utility pocket with room for first aid kit, wallet, keys, pens, etc.
  • Padded straps and back panel for extra comfort

http://www.chefpak.com/product.aspx?id=1

The point of the back pack is to carry it back and forth to work.

Maybe you should read the OP again, and take notice that the guy was not a cook/chef, but a butcher, and they don't take their knifes to the massage. You have link for a butcherpack as well ?

Really? So when a guy on a motor bike drives into you you say sorry? The guy got indignant and for his sins got cut up by a psycho and you think this is normal? If you've been in Thailand for so long you might understand about the Thainess of avoiding confrontation? I'll bet my bottom dollar that although you find this disproportionate response acceptable you think Israel's isn't? I guess Americans around the World are thankful for your hep-handy advice though.

This may not be the most nonsensical post I've ever seen on TV,

but it is surely in the top three.

Yes... Since when was attempted murder with a deadly weapon justified because feelings were hurt?

And who thinks Thai people do not get angry when they drive as well? Road rage happens here more than you think....

You go to the other side of the world and pronounce judgement on people whose culture you obviously know very little about.

Go to any country and find out what it takes to offend someone to the point they are liable to attack you. In many parts of the

world, including the U.S., you give the middle finger to a stranger and you will certainly risk being attacked. The bottom line is:

Anyone with an ounce of common sense would not risk behaving in such a way especially in a culture that is foreign to you.

If someone accidentally bumps into you or steps on your toe, you can either curse them or simply accept it as unintentional.

You can let common sense be your guide OR prepare to have a rough life -- up to you.

If you accept it as unintentional, and just let it pass (as any sensible person would) it is not "groveling" as one poster suggested.

I have met many Westerners who, if you accidentally bump into then while walking in a crowded place, immediately take offense

and try to challenge you to a fight. In my 28 years living in Asia, this would very rarely happen here.

Of course, if you are a foreigner and you immediately show disrespect by cursing the person, well, all bets are off.

Another typical example in life where anger never solves anything.

Like the saying goes,

"Before you speak let your words pass through 3 gates:

At the first gate ask yourself: Is it true?

At the second ask: Is it necessary?

At the third gate ask: Is it kind?

In this case:

Bicyclists says to motorcyclist: "Your a <deleted> retard running into me!!"

Is it true? Yes, the guy clearly made a careless mistake.

Is it necessary? Feedback is always necessary, otherwise how will we improve?

Is it kind? Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind.

How bad is this, the guy was carrying. A knife, ??? Who in there right mind would carry a knife ???

I know a few things annoy us here, but it ain't worth confronting any of them, you just never know.....

Hope the guy makes a full recovery....

I in my right mind carry MANY knives.

I am a Thai farmer kap wai.gif

https://www.google.com/search?q=thailand+jungle+knife&espv=2&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=FpTjU7W4HdGUuATZhoJo&ved=0CCcQ7Ak&biw=1093&bih=508

How bad is this, the guy was carrying. A knife, ??? Who in there right mind would carry a knife ???

I know a few things annoy us here, but it ain't worth confronting any of them, you just never know.....

I in my right mind carry MANY knives.

I am a Thai farmer kap wai.gif

https://www.google.com/search?q=thailand+jungle+knife&espv=2&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=FpTjU7W4HdGUuATZhoJo&ved=0CCcQ7Ak&biw=1093&bih=508

need I say more ? thumbsup.gif

Well, Robert the Bruce carried a huge sword.

Hmmmm....more or less a difficult situation to make judgment on.

*** Going by what is said in the article...if true.****

Although the best advice always is and always will be, is to not get angry and compose yourself when such incidents do happen.

On the other hand how do you know the Thai person in question is carrying a knife or a gun for that matter.....and are you not allowed to be upset and let the person know you are upset about what they just did to cause you bodily harm.

Apparently not.

You do have that right, so to speak, while it is human nature for anyone to be upset when you are injured or impacted by another person doing something they should not be doing while you are on the harmful receiving end of someone else's thoughtless and reckless conduct.

So the guy gets angry ( 90 % of the other people would also get angry to a degree ) and the end result is the Thai moron can not take the criticism or responsibility for his reckless actions and ends up knifing another person...in this case a person who is a foreigner.

I have had several altercations with Thai people over the 25 years I have lived here while there is always the chance that it could turn nasty but sometimes the bullshit just angers you enough that you speak out or react in an angry way to what just happened to you....or has been perpetrated upon you .....sometimes.

What should the guy do.

In theory, we all know the man should vigorously pursue justice and penalize the Thai guy for his actions....but ......this is Thailand and we all know there is a 90 % chance the Foreigner will be wasting his time and effort and money trying to obtain any kind of compensation or even an apology.

Thank you for showing some sense rather than just blaming the guy for getting angry.

Over 25 years I have become angry when certain things happen ...but managed to control my anger.

It seems, in this case the guy happened to meet the wrong Thai guy and you can only assume or surmise that the foreigner upset the Thai guy so much he pulled a knife and used it...which is pretty extreme.

By no means am I defending the Thai man but you just have to envision what occurred for the Thai guy to start stabbing the foreigner with a knife.

If there were any witnesses then hopefully some aspects of what happened can be clarified...but until we know what actually happened you can only assume there were 2 very angry people while one of them had a knife and ended the altercation.....surprise, surprise......... unfortunately for the foreigner.

It will be somewhat amusing to listen to the 2 peoples version of the events that occurred leading up to a violent altercation while more than likely the Thai guy is going to have a number of self serving excuses and or lie as to why he stabbed someone over a slight accident....if that was the case.

It would be interesting to know how the police are handling the Thai man....as in a great big smack up the side of his head is in order ...to begin with.

tHIS is very bad. why oh why dont the thais act like americans, brits, italians

really stupid comment. I would be saying the same if it were a crazy lunatic in any country,, seems you want to condone his actions because "it can happen anywhere". Really tired of hearing these pathetic arguments, as soon as something bad happens here and people comment you get the boring responses "well its just as bad everywhere else". Well, it isn't, it is worse for a lot of things here. People should be aware of it so they can be prepared and take precautions where necessary, then hopefully the foreigners like me working and living here can live a relatively peaceful life.

Hope the American gentleman recovers and I hope that that knife carrying lunatic gets banged up for GBH and spends a good while behind bars.

Sir

chill out, have another spliff and dont be silly,this was a light hearted post, a joke, u remember them do you.

Yes I remember jokes, do you? is that your example of one? Don't see any humour in what you wrote, just a touch of sarcasm, to me it just looked like another silly comparison.

Anyway, I will give you the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps try and make your humour a little more obvious in future, your post looks dangerously like another rant about the West.

MUCH more to this story than meets the eye. First, the guy is no serious cyclist. Second, and to a prior post, wearing sunglasses so late..., guessing he's cycling back to a friend's place on a "borrowed" bike after pounding more than a few. Third, not that it's proper on either end but I can only imagine the adrenal rush from the American after being struck followed by words stated that he now regrets. The Thai guy...., let's give him a bit of a break pending better news...., everyone has a breaking point.

No references to pushing shoving or other physical activity but were I on a corner close by I could just about guarantee the American was physical.

My .02

Just because he's wearing sunglasses at the hospital doesn't mean he was wearing them while cycling. You also suggest that he stole the bike and was drunk -- any facts to back that up? Oh, that's right, of course not. And how do you know the American said things first 'that he now regrets'? But wait -- now you want to give the Thai 'a break'? You feel sorry for the attempted murderer do you? Why yes, by all means, I'm sure he worked up quite a sweat trying to kill an unarmed, innocent person.

Lastly, how can you 'guarantee' the American was physical? Were you there? No. Do you know the facts? No. Have you already concocted a story, fabricated 'facts', and blamed the victim? Yes.

My guess is you wouldn't have a lot of mates rushing to your defense, would you?

• Like 1

"When in Rome"... people make mistakes, nothing bad happened and because of this the Thai would have thought it a personal attack from the American. If the opposite had happened and the American had been at fault and put his hands together and said ka toot kap the Thai very most likely would have given the same "polite" gesture and moved on. When in a country that has a "polite particle" in their language for both male and female, even if you are in the right a display of anger is considered very impolite.

I quite agree.

As an American living in Asia many years, I have come to realize that Americans are prone to quick anger and

vulgarities. Americans seem to think this is normal behavior, but in Asia if you get nasty and call people dirty

names as a result of some minor incident, it is not taken lightly.

As this case demonstrates, Americans who plan to visit or live in Asia would do well to learn a bit of manners

and civility. Otherwise they would be better off to stay in America.

Well 'Brad', how long have you lived in Asia exactly? You have come to realize that 'Americans are prone to quick anger and vulgarities'? I'm going to call you on that -- I don't think you have. Americans aren't prone to anger or vulgarities any more than any other foreigner and I doubt they see this as 'normal' behavior. In fact, my experience is that Americans are far more polite than most foreigners living here. For you to generalize about an entire people makes me question whether you are a) really American, and cool.png if you have seen this type of behavior regularly. I think the answer is 'no' for both.

And I'm also going to call you on your broad generalization of 'in Asia if you get nasty and call people dirty names...it is not taken lightly.' I have been in many different Asian countries (including Thailand) for more than a decade. Oh, how I wish I could tell you the amount of violence, screaming, and name calling I have seen Asians engage in with each other from Thailand, China, Vietnam, the Philippines and elsewhere. I believe anyone who has really been in Asia for an extended period -- and not holed up in some posh accommodation but actually lived among regular folks -- could tell you similar stories.

But let's look at the story in more detail: An older man (not old, but not some teenager either) is riding his bike when a Thai makes a u-turn and hits him. The article doesn't say what happened exactly -- was the u-turn illegal? Was the Thai driving recklessly? Were either one drunk? We don't know. But words were exchanged and the Thai drew a knife and attempted to murder the man (yes, that is what it was).

We don't know if the American was almost killed during the Thai's u-turn; we don't know if the Thai started screaming first because the American was in his path during his turn. I have seen Thais scream at each other over minor traffic accidents as well as close calls so for anyone to jump to the conclusion that it had to be the foreigner, well, that says more about you than anything else.

All we know is that the Thai produced a knife and went on the attack. He was not acting in self-defense, he tried to kill the man (and forget the whole 'respect for elders' thing). That is inexcusable in this country and any reasonable Thai would say likewise. But for you to blame the victim here tells me that you are incapable of viewing any incident objectively.

My girlfriend was once almost attacked by a man and a woman riding a motorbike. My girlfriend was in her car trying to turn into a driveway. The man, driving recklessly and yelling at more than one car, almost hit her. He started yelling obscenities and then pulled a box-cutter but soon drove off. Her dad -- a cop -- called the incident 'typical Thai'.

TV members -- Thais and foreigners -- can tell you similar stories. They are, unfortunately, very typical.

JO, I think you understand the meaning of "prone." If so, you understand that it does not mean all or necessarily most.

It simply means you can often find this kind of behavior among Americans. It is not my intention to compare Americans

with other Westerners. I can only talk about my observations of my own countrymen. When I look back on my 28 years

in Asia, I am struck by a big difference in behavior -- Asians are by far much less prone to anger.

That's my experience, yours may differ.

Edited by BradinAsia

I don't know if it was referred to in a previous post but was the force from the impact enough to cause the cyclist fall off?

I can't help thinking this event could have all played out so differently if the cyclist had not been aggressive about it.

Even if he hadn't fallen off it would have paid him to play the victim rather than be confrontational. Thai’s don't understand the mechanics of a bicycle -most have zero interest in them at all. So the cyclist could have made a big drama that a vital part of bicycle had been damaged and that it would need repair hinting that he wanted some compensation. And if that didn't work the cyclist could have insisted on the motorcyclist waiting while he called the police while in the meantime taking a photograph of the licence plate of the motorbike and asking for his full name and address etc.

I doubt very much if acting that way would have resulted in a stabbing as long as the cyclist didnt lose his cool.

Edited by Asiantravel

Not defending a thai in any way shape or form, but many need to put things into perspective.

read the daily mail from today,on internet, there are some very vile killings,rapes etc etc in the uk, very gruesome indeed, one first page,includes the eastender star( dont know her) who was brutaly murdered by her brother and body cut up, pure evil..5kids age 13- 15, raping a girl etc etc

Wrong, thats just what you are doing "Defending", like you was trying to defend street food in Thailand in another thread this week. You said it is safe in Thailand, BUT not safe in the USA / UK. " Nuff said."

Very funny answer sir. didnt know street food was a thai with a knife hahahahah

"When in Rome"... people make mistakes, nothing bad happened and because of this the Thai would have thought it a personal attack from the American. If the opposite had happened and the American had been at fault and put his hands together and said ka toot kap the Thai very most likely would have given the same "polite" gesture and moved on. When in a country that has a "polite particle" in their language for both male and female, even if you are in the right a display of anger is considered very impolite.

Really? Must be why Thais throw sticks, small stones, and fireworks at me when I am out cycling. You must be living in some other Thailand.