Telenor to launch next month with 10 million SIM cards

DagonKhan

Telenor to launch next month with 10 million SIM cards

Telenor will mark the launch of its service next month by putting 10 million SIM cards on the market, a company spokesperson told Mizzima on August 5.

The long-awaited announcement comes just days after Ooredoo officially launched its service on August 2.

Telenor Myanmar public relations officer Ko Soe Thu Tun said the service would be launched in Yangon, Mandalay and Nay Pyi Taw, but did not specify a date.

"We are now ready to launch with 10 million SIM cards and 800 towers," he said.

Continues here:- http://www.mizzima.com/mizzima-news/myanmar/item/11992-telenor-to-launch-next-month-with-10-million-sim-cards

• Like 1

There is some other "unofficial" news as well. Shops are being stocked with Telenor SIM cards as I type this.

The rumours (and I stress rumours!) are that the SIM cards will be Ks1,200 and the Internet will be Ks1/minute (as compared to Ks2/minute with MPT). No idea on call charges, although they have previously stated similar figures to Ooredoo, i.e. Ks25/minute.

We shall see!wink.png

Thanks DK,

I wasn't too fussed about the Ooredoo sim cards, but I would like to get a hold of a couple of the Telenor sims when they get released..

I wonder if these will also sell out and blow out the price like the Oooredoo ones last week?

Well I know that they're stocking the shops as I type this, that much is for sure, so you should be able to get your hands on one quite soon. What I'm not sure about is the prices, although I will reveal that the prices I typed above did originate from a mobile phone shop that has just received stock of Telenor SIM's.... We really need to wait for an official announcement though on the prices, I'd be cautious about believing rumours!

Personally I know many people who are waiting just to see how it all plays out. Several of my staff got Ooredoo SIM's and they're still telling me that they're not working, I haven't put mine back in the phone.

One look through the Yellow Pages and you'll see that the vast majority of businesses use mobile numbers, this came about because the land lines were essentially held hostage by MPT engineers and people were constantly being harassed for money, or you simply couldn't get one, or they were (even at US$2,500) cheaper than a land line. Most, including myself, bought mobiles to connect with our customers. Businesses will not be changing overnight, i just can't see that personally. Interestingly I have not heard of one single customer who has contacted us to advise us of a change in their contact details. So in answer to your last question, it's really up to the 'masses' to determine if they all get sold out.

Do the masses want phones? Yes of course, but I'm dubious of some of the figures that they quote. Take the latest news piece above, it talks about 10 million SIMS and mentions they will rollout for Yangon, Mandalay and Naypyitaw. Are there actually 10 million people living in those 3 cities? Furthermore, let's dispense with the notion that Ks25/minute is 'cheap' or 'affordable'. This website has carried several articles over the past which clearly demonstrate what you and I already know, the vast majority of people here are poor. Ks1,000 feeds them for the day etc etc. Now, Telenor with it's introduction of a service that covers 2G as well as 3G will I believe win out, simply because you can buy a cheap handset whereas with Ooredoo you can't. The conversation amongst my staff is dominated by money, how much it will all cost, that's all they care about. If Telenor keep their call charges the same as Ooredoo, have a network that actually works and do something about the internet charges they will clean up.

• Like 1