Thai junta against the ED Visa in Pattaya

nikkoid66

Two days ago, all schools were summoned in the Immigration in Jomtien for a conference about the new ED visa rules.

My school (Walen) called me 2 times in what was looking like a panic move.

They told me that I need to renew my ED visa right now before it is too late, because the new rules are not 13 months but 12 months. So my stamps that was valid until the 30th September will not work as my visa will expires in reality the 30th of August.

The new rules will be applied the 30th of August so I have to renew it quick, without having any guarantee that it will be accepted.

I was a bit scared and I went to the immigration where no one could explain me more and they only told me that my stamp was ok until the 30th September. No word about the new ED visa rules.

Then I went to the another school located outside of the Immigration where they told me that there was no problem, as they have a system to get the Visa from LAO using what seems to be a border run. 23,000 baht all included with the border run and the 3 days hotel.

It sounded to me a bit shady, as it seems that border run are banned and it was barely legal.

So what is happening with the ED visa now? Can I renew my visa for one more year with Walen (that will be my 4th year)? What are the risks.

Edited by nikkoid66

• 1 month later...

I think immigration is getting very suspicious of the number of "students" immersed in Thai language and permitted to stay in the country for the purposes of learning Thai language for multiple years can't speak or read or understand basic Thai.

I think most language schools still are marking perfect attendance on immigration forms even if a student never attends class.

A friend told me recently her teacher's at (omit) were starting to take attendance. But not sure if they will report true attendance on forms sent to immigration for extension.

I am sure honest schools will encourage their staff to report true attendance to immigration and there will be no problems

• 1 month later...

Just follow the info given by the school and you will be ok. We adjust to new immigration requirements. Schools that are focusing on selling ED visas and not on teaching might not be around much longer.

That's the reason I choose to study Thai at your school. A.) It has been recommended by a trusted friend and B.) I want to be able to study without the stress of having to leave Thailand every 5 minutes.