Myanmar by own car

NicoB

Hi,

i just got the idea of driving my car which is registered in thailand on my name to myanmar. I want to enter in Mae sot and leave around ranong. I have the passport for the car already. Does anybody know about additional paperwork which has to be done? Its difficult to get infomations about this. I heard its possible!

Thanks in advance

First things first - welcome and thanks for posting.

A link already running in the Myanmar Travel section has some good discussion points on bringing a car in to Myanmar from Thailand

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/542813-driving-own-car-in-burma/

As of now, this is extremely rare to do and takes some months of preparations and special permissions - best to approach the Ministry of Tourism's Myanmar Travel and Tours department for enquiries.

Regarding Ranong specifically as an exit point - this is currently impossible to do with a vehicle.

For starters there is no road access from Kawthaung across the river border to Ranong

Secondly, you cannot drive overland in Myanmar south to Kawthaung from Myeik. Currently not allowed.

Hope this helps as a start.

• 4 weeks later...

First things first - welcome and thanks for posting.

A link already running in the Myanmar Travel section has some good discussion points on bringing a car in to Myanmar from Thailand

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/542813-driving-own-car-in-burma/

As of now, this is extremely rare to do and takes some months of preparations and special permissions - best to approach the Ministry of Tourism's Myanmar Travel and Tours department for enquiries.

Regarding Ranong specifically as an exit point - this is currently impossible to do with a vehicle.

For starters there is no road access from Kawthaung across the river border to Ranong

Secondly, you cannot drive overland in Myanmar south to Kawthaung from Myeik. Currently not allowed.

Hope this helps as a start.

Actually it may be possible with permission. Last November there were 2 Russian registered cars driven by a Russian and a Lithuanian who crossed from Ranong to Kawthoung in their cars and then drove up through southern Myanmar before eventually exiting Myanmar at Myawady to Mae Sot. I took a few pictures of their cars at the Mae Sot border.

Immigration at Myawady told me that they had a guide with them inside one of their cars and also mentioned their itinerary that started in Kawthoung. No idea if they took a ferry from Kawthoung to Myeik but by the sounds of it they drove the route (apparently there is some sort of dirt track between the two cities).

However, most caravan tours or individuals with permission enter/exit Myanmar either at Phu Nam Ron/Ti khee or Mae Sot/Myawady and that's what I would choose as entry/exit points for any journey to Myanmar.

Some caravan tours have even made it over to India, crossing at Tamu/Moreh.