Extending for another month/visa run.

I guess I'm asking this because I don't know what to expect. I have a double entry tourist visa which was given to me in New York. I've been in Thailand for nearly two months. I 'm going to extend my stay for another month.  Now I plan to find a teaching job in Thailand. I had a job lined up in South Korea in September but it fell through. I'm going to need the time to find work so this is why i'm extending it for another month. What questions can I expect?  

Now, if I cant find work within the month I was going to do a visa run to start my second visa stay. I've never done this before. I don't know what to expect now. It seems that the Thai government is really serious about cracking down on foreigners. 

Any tips would be appreciated.  Thanks. 

Edited by benj005

In the past, you could extend the visa the same day it expires. The second entry shouldn't be a problem. Just hit a border, turn around, and come back. Or go somewhere for a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

In the past, you could extend the visa the same day it expires. The second entry shouldn't be a problem. Just hit a border, turn around, and come back. Or go somewhere for a few days.

Would you suggest I do it a few days before the deadline? 

Sounds great about the second entry. Hopefully I can find a teaching position before the extension runs out on my first visa stay. \

Thanks. 

Sounds great about the second entry. Hopefully I can find a teaching position before the extension runs out on my first visa stay.

It doesn't make any difference, the extension is given immediately.

I recommend that you have a good reading around to learn the reality of being an English teacher in Thailand.

No problem just back from immigration...to extend for 30 days my first on a double entry visa..same day it expired..only question was my address number on the application form was this a 7 or 9..?

If you are questioned just tell the truth..they have no problem accepting genuine applications..as yours is ..

Download this form before you go..easier..    http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.phpdownload?page= 

Sounds great about the second entry. Hopefully I can find a teaching position before the extension runs out on my first visa stay. \

Thanks. 

I'm pretty sure you need 21 days remaining on a tourist visa to convert it to a non-B. Be aware of that as you zero in on a job.

I'm pretty sure you need 21 days remaining on a tourist visa to convert it to a non-B. Be aware of that as you zero in on a job.

OP question is about getting a tourist visa extension, not visa conversion.

However, converting tourist visa a Non-imm B is not possible in most cases. A trip outside the country is necessary.

OP question is about getting a tourist visa extension, not visa conversion.

However, converting tourist visa a Non-imm B is not possible in most cases. A trip outside the country is necessary.

"Hopefully I can find a teaching position before the extension runs out on my first visa stay."

And you can definitely convert a tourist visa to a non-B at any immigration office in Thailand. I've done it three times. But you need at least 21 days on your tourist visa or they will ask you to get a new one.

sorry the link doesn't work just google it ...Thai immigration download form extension visa..TM7..

The form can be downloaded here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/files/file/7-tm7-extension-of-temporary-stay-in-the-kingdom-application-form/

My Visa is due August 17th.

Should I get the extension a day or two before the 17th? 

Thanks.

You won't lose anything by going in earlier. Your extension days are added on to your current permission to stay no matter when you apply. Just remember that the 12th is the Queen's birthday. Can't recall how many/which days are official government holidays when immigrations will be closed, but I think some extra days were added on to the 12th.

Thai government is really serious about cracking down on foreigners. 

They're not cracking down on foreigners, the crackdown is aimed at those who misuse visa exempt entries or tourist visas or those who stay in the country illegally.

My Visa is due August 17th.

What does this mean? Are you planning to teach English?

If you have a double-entry visa, it has a "use-by" or expiration date. The visa expiration date is the date before which you must exit and re-enter Thailand to use the second entry. If you exit the country after the visa expiration date, when you return to Thailand you will (maybe) get a visa exempt entry because the visa would not be valid after it's expired.

That has nothing to do with your permission to stay. The permission to stay is the hand stamp put in your passport at your point of entry. If your permission to stay ends on the 17th, you need to get the extension at immigrations before your current permission ends. Nothing to do with the visa "use by" date.

Extension before the permission to stay ends.

Border crossing before the visa expires.

Don't mix up the two dates.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1