Health officials surprise Phuket supermarkets

webfact

Health officials surprise Phuket supermarkets
Darawan Naknakhon

1407482737_1-org.jpg
V/Gov Somkiet checks out some ribs at Makro.

PHUKET: -- Three supermarkets received surprise visits on Wednesday (August 6) as provincial officials toured the island inspecting the quality of frozen meat on sale.

Vice-Governor Somkeit Songkhowsutirak, along with Veerasit Puttipairos from the Livestock Department, and others from the Health Department, visited Makro, Big C in Vichit and Tesco-Lotus in Kathu, to check quality and hygiene standards.

The Health Department is campaigning for greater cleanliness, particularly in areas that deal with fresh and frozen meat. Many more stores and markets across the island can expect snap inspections in the coming few weeks.

Mr Veerasit said, “Keeping the slaughterhouse, markets and supermarkets clean is crucial. We want to encourage the local markets to follow the health requirements religiously and discourage them from buying fresh meat from illegal slaughterhouses or poor-quality factories.

“The local markets must work together with the Health Department to ensure maximum quality and cleanliness of all meat they sell.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/health-officials-surprise-phuket-supermarkets-47754.php

[pn]2014-08-08[/pn]

Suprise visits should not be news, they should be occaisionally already. The results in what they find should be reported in the news, wether good or wrong.

P.s. all the other stores now are at least warned in advance, great job

First step should be .. no meat products should be handled by the public.

Second step, a health inspector should wear appropriate clothing, eg, mask and cap.

Thats second year school  tuition regarding his job....................whistling.gif 

As compared to western super markets, having raw meat laying open for everyone to touch, flies all over it, takes a bit of getting use to. I always buy from the butcher in the cold display cabinet or already packaged meats under refrigeration. Most people are comfortable with the standards, and figure if it's cooked it will be ok.

As compared to western super markets, having raw meat laying open for everyone to touch, flies all over it, takes a bit of getting use to. I always buy from the butcher in the cold display cabinet or already packaged meats under refrigeration. Most people are comfortable with the standards, and figure if it's cooked it will be ok.

I think it's ok. Probably the fresh products are much more fresher compared what is sold in the west. 

I can not remember having any real food poisoning in Thailand. Then again, I don't buy meat products from BigC or Super cheaps. 

I think it's ok. Probably the fresh products are much more fresher compared what is sold in the west. 

I can not remember having any real food poisoning in Thailand. Then again, I don't buy meat products from BigC or Super cheaps. 

I wonder if they came across frozen meat topping up meat that had been defrosted and laying in a pool of water/blood and sold as fresh.

I went with the wife to a big cupermarket in Pattaya Nua a couple of years back, and when pushing the cart, I heard a strange noise, and only saw a rat scuttling away along a shelf.

Of course we called the Floor Manager, who was very apologetic, and offered us some free shopping vouchers, and an explanation of " we get them all the time here, they come in through the loading bay at the back "

Never been back, and dont intend to.

Roach,s are an everyday occurance here, they que up at the checkouts the same as we do.

I love those pictures of officials inspecting by have a look on something: and the result is: all the very best!

The standard of cleanliness is still very low in Thailand. And if I see how they sell meat on local markets: oh my goodness.

But after all! What was the result of the inspection?????????????

Heheheh no result is here in Thailand always the best result!

Funny enough I was standing right there a week ago. The butcher guy was packing pork into that refrigerator and I handed him my pack of meat. I noticed he was not wearing gloves so I lifted the packet up forcing him to take it at the bottom (or so I thought).

FFS he took it with both hands!  When I got it back the entire packet was that greasy texture and smelt of raw pork. Super gross and unhygienic. Anyhow. Still better than some other though.