Thai Immigration guidelines for inspection of foreigners on visa exempt entries.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could someone please explain the meaning of 1.2.1 please.

2.2 - "the alien may be required to fill out the form as attached in the annex hereto". Is there an English translation of this form available, please?

2.2 - "the alien may be required to fill out the form as attached in the annex hereto". Is there an English translation of this form available, please?

These are the forms that advise of the ban penalties for overstayers and that foreigner have to acknowledge when dealing with immigration.

The OP translation above doesn't appear to answer the ongoing question as to the number or frequency of what visa-exempt entries will be allowed. No actual standard.

It seems to talk about the incoming visa-exempt passenger being required to provide various documentation.

But not much basis on which the Immigration staff are supposed to sort out when a visa-exempt is legitimately for tourism vs. when the traveler has crossed the invisible line into being a non-tourist who will be denied entry.

The only actual detail appears to be the reference to "leaving Thailand and returning immediately" as being something not to be permitted.

Also, in the translation of the guideline, I have no idea what "1.2.1 A number of entry into the Kingdom" is supposed to mean???

Also, if the linked "Denial of Entry form" is supposed related to visa-exempt entry people, then why does the form have fill-in spaces for type of visa and location of visa issuance???

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

As these guidelines are titled "Subject: Guideline for inspection of citizen from certain countries that are not required to obtain a visa

when entering the Kingdom of Thailand" it would seem that Ubon Joe was correct when he was telling anyone, who would listen, that the 'crackdown' was aimed at those leaving and immediately re-entering without a visa and not those who were able to procure a TR visa. We must now see if the IO's at the various borders interpret 'the rules' in the manner outlined above or if they include TR visa holders also.

Thank you PREM-R—you have given me hope that human beings are still capable of reading and comprehension since the introduction of "smart"phones. Times to have a lie down, I think clap2.gif

These are the forms that advise of the ban penalties for overstayers and that foreigner have to acknowledge when dealing with immigration.

Thanks, but that does not to fit in context.

What is said above is:

2.1 Alien will be interviewed and requested to show evidence of the purpose of tourism such as tickets, pocket money, booking slip, traveling plan.

2.2 The criterion as in 2.1 if deemed necessary to record as an evidence, the alien may be required to fill out the form as attached in the annex hereto.

To me, that reads as if the form is to establish whether the visit is for the purpose of tourism.

So...if you have back to back business meetings in Thailand, what visa can you apply for?

Please explain "back-to-back business meetings" ?

As when you meet in Bangkok, then fly back to sleep in Singapore, then fly back to Bangkok for another meeting the following day ?

• Like 1

Unfortunately this does nothing to clarify the question that many have pondered: what time-frame constitutes immediately within the quoted context of "leaving Thailand and returning immediately for the purpose of extending their stay"

Yes Me too, I really would like to know when it comes to people like "off shore workers", entring Thailand on Tourist exempt each time....what is immediately.. or should 21 days be OK.... and do that every 21 day and fill up the passport with that...??

Glegolo

• Like 1

When I first visited Thailand in 2011, the guidelines were that you might be asked for proof of onward travel, proof you have enough money, proof of itinerary. More often than not when I've flown from Europe or Australia to Thailand I've been made to provide proof of onward travel or to show a valid visa, since even in previous years the carriers have been mitigating the risk of foreigners being denied entry (since the carrier obliged to transport you out of Thailand again at their expense).

Also for a UK citizen the rules apparent have always been that you shouldn't spend more than 3 months of any 180 day period in the country, so I was surprised when I arrived in Thailand back then to find so many people doing back to back tourist visas. And indeed I stayed for a year doing an 'in out' visa exemption run every 30 days (although admittedly some were a week long). So my passport ended up with about 12 sets of stamps and no visas in a single 12 month period.

None of this affects me now, I a visa and no problems, but I wonder if in the past 'rules' haven't been observed, what the actual weight of these new announcements is? And also I wonder longer term how the Thai economy will be affected, but I know that's a separate issue.

Also for a UK citizen the rules apparent have always been that you shouldn't spend more than 3 months of any 180 day period in the country, ..............

I've never heard that before.

Do you have a source, please?

Is it just UK citizens or does it apply equally to other nationalities? If so, which ones?

What 180 day period? If it is 180 days up to departure from Thailand, I have a problem :( .

Also for a UK citizen the rules apparent have always been that you shouldn't spend more than 3 months of any 180 day period in the country, so I was surprised when I arrived in Thailand back then to find so many people doing back to back tourist visas. And indeed I stayed for a year doing an 'in out' visa exemption run every 30 days (although admittedly some were a week long). So my passport ended up with about 12 sets of stamps and no visas in a single 12 month period.

None of this affects me now, I a visa and no problems, but I wonder if in the past 'rules' haven't been observed, what the actual weight of these new announcements is? And also I wonder longer term how the Thai economy will be affected, but I know that's a separate issue.

As often mentioned. The "3 in 6 months" rule you mentioned has been repealed 25/11/08

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/doc/temporarystay/policy778-2551_en.pdf

• Like 1

Paz, thanks for the clarification. Yes I just looked on the Thailand embassy page for the UK and no mention, so I did a search and saw elsewhere that it was abandoned in 2008. I guess back in 2011 I must've been looking at out-of-date information, but I'm sure it was an official page.

The OP translation above doesn't appear to answer the ongoing question as to the number or frequency of what visa-exempt entries will be allowed. No actual standard.

It seems to talk about the incoming visa-exempt passenger being required to provide various documentation.

But not much basis on which the Immigration staff are supposed to sort out when a visa-exempt is legitimately for tourism vs. when the traveler has crossed the invisible line into being a non-tourist who will be denied entry.

The only actual detail appears to be the reference to "leaving Thailand and returning immediately" as being something not to be permitted.

Also, in the translation of the guideline, I have no idea what "1.2.1 A number of entry into the Kingdom" is supposed to mean???

Also, if the linked "Denial of Entry form" is supposed related to visa-exempt entry people, then why does the form have fill-in spaces for type of visa and location of visa issuance???

I don't think they have set a limit. I think perhaps one or two that fit the definition of of being a in/out visa runner. That is spending the full 30 days allowed and then going out for the sole purpose of getting another 30 days. To me immediately is a turnaround on the same day or it could be less than 24 hours.

Perhaps 1.2.1 should of been written as a number of entries. Perhaps a recheck of the translation is needed.

The denial of entry forum is not specific for exempt entries. It appears to be a existing form they have been using for some time.

Doesn't look like anything has changed as there is no clear definition. It seems the it's left to the interpretation of the Immigration officer in charge of the place of entry and the instructions that he has given to his subordinates - As it has always been!

How is an offshore worker going to show "tickets, pocket money, booking slip, traveling plan"?

Doesn't look like anything has changed as there is no clear definition. It seems the it's left to the interpretation of the Immigration officer in charge of the place of entry and the instructions that he has given to his subordinates - As it has always been!

How is an offshore worker going to show "tickets, pocket money, booking slip, traveling plan"?

His ticket back to work.

10 - 20K THB or equivalent currency.

If he rents, a letter or contract from landlord.

Foreign work contract.

Offshore workers are not having and will not have a problem.

So...if you have back to back business meetings in Thailand, what visa can you apply for?

Please explain "back-to-back business meetings" ?

As when you meet in Bangkok, then fly back to sleep in Singapore, then fly back to Bangkok for another meeting the following day ?

If you have a back to back business meeting you would not legally be able to use an entry given at the airport as you must have a non-O visa for that.

• Like 2

So you are a non-tourist until proven a tourist when using back-to-back visa exemptions. No benefit of the doubt.

Seems logical to me.

- People in this case are people who want stay more than 2 months in Thailand

- The "expected" way is to get a visa when you want stay more than 1 month as a Tourist

=> These people staying so long without a visa are suspicious. smile.png

Seriously, a lot of hassle that can be easily avoid by taking a tourist visa at home. rolleyes.gif

If you have a back to back business meeting you would not legally be able to use an entry given at the airport as you must have a non-O visa for that.

I think you mean he needs a Non-immigrant B visa:

From http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/

"Business visitors or people engaged in any business activities such as attending a meeting or a conference, working or conducting a business in Thailand must have a Non-immigrant B visa before entering Thailand. The non – immigrant B visa is categorized into 2 categories:

A single entry visa allows you to stay up to 90 days. The application must be supported by a letter from an employer in Australia or a business counterpart in Thailand, The fee is $90.00 AUD. (nonrefundable)
A multiple entries visa allows you to stay up to 90 days for each entry and valid for multiple entries to Thailand within one year, however the applicant must report himself/herself to the nearest immigration office or to the police station. The fee is $225.00 AUD (nonrefundable) "

Do they check every people for tickets back home and other things ??? I think very long queues on the immigration counter.........

No they will not be asking everybody. Only those that fit a profile they have set. Most people will be stamped in without questions.

• Like 1

I understand clearly, that Thai Immigration has the right to set pretty much whatever rules they choose for handling visa-exempt entries for tourists, subject to bilateral agreements.

But, in today's world, the notion of judging someone as a real tourist based partly on whether they're carrying so many thousands of baht (or equivalent) of cash is ABSURD.

In all of my tourist days, I never came to Thailand with more than a very minimal amount of actual cash. Because 1) you really don't want to exchange your home country currency for Thai baht in your home country prior to departing because it will be a very poor rate. And 2) it's much safer to carry credit cards and debit cards that have loss limitations if lost or stolen, unlike cash.

I understand that the notion of pocket cash is supposed to show financial resources being available, and that Thailand historically has been a cash oriented economy. But in today's world, the Thai Immigration authorities ought to recognize that debit cards and credit cards have just as valid spending capability as cash.

• Like 1

I think you mean he needs a Non-immigrant B visa:

From http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/

"Business visitors or people engaged in any business activities such as attending a meeting or a conference, working or conducting a business in Thailand must have a Non-immigrant B visa before entering Thailand. The non – immigrant B visa is categorized into 2 categories:

A single entry visa allows you to stay up to 90 days. The application must be supported by a letter from an employer in Australia or a business counterpart in Thailand, The fee is $90.00 AUD. (nonrefundable)
A multiple entries visa allows you to stay up to 90 days for each entry and valid for multiple entries to Thailand within one year, however the applicant must report himself/herself to the nearest immigration office or to the police station. The fee is $225.00 AUD (nonrefundable) "

Sorry you are right so he actually needs a multi_entry one of those,,,or 2 non B visas,

A bit of a nasty that, Occasionally they have professional conferences here where I would meet some of my old friends however as attendance would be considered working and I am on a retirement extension I have to forgo them.

Edited by harrry