Thai Immigration guidelines for inspection of foreigners on visa exempt entries.

I understand clearly, that Thai Immigration has the right to set pretty much whatever rules they choose for handling visa-exempt entries for tourists, subject to bilateral agreements.

But, in today's world, the notion of judging someone as a real tourist based partly on whether they're carrying so many thousands of baht (or equivalent) of cash is ABSURD.

In all of my tourist days, I never came to Thailand with more than a very minimal amount of actual cash. Because 1) you really don't want to exchange your home country currency for Thai baht in your home country prior to departing because it will be a very poor rate. And 2) it's much safer to carry credit cards and debit cards that have loss limitations if lost or stolen, unlike cash.

I understand that the notion of pocket cash is supposed to show financial resources being available, and that Thailand historically has been a cash oriented economy. But in today's world, the Thai Immigration authorities ought to recognize that debit cards and credit cards have just as valid spending capability as cash.

There are other countries that require you to exchange "X" amount of cash when you enter the country. At least Thailand is not forcing you to exchange currency. Also safer than credit cards are travelers checks. When I 1st started to come to Thailand (and other places) back early 90's I always had travelers checks. My bank did not charge me a fee and you get a better rate of exchange. If lost of stolen you make a call no problem and replacements are sent promptly.

• Like 1

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If you have a back to back business meeting you would not legally be able to use an entry given at the airport as you must have a non-O visa for that.

I think you mean he needs a Non-immigrant B visa:

From http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/

"Business visitors or people engaged in any business activities such as attending a meeting or a conference, working or conducting a business in Thailand must have a Non-immigrant B visa before entering Thailand. The non – immigrant B visa is categorized into 2 categories:

A single entry visa allows you to stay up to 90 days. The application must be supported by a letter from an employer in Australia or a business counterpart in Thailand, The fee is $90.00 AUD. (nonrefundable)
A multiple entries visa allows you to stay up to 90 days for each entry and valid for multiple entries to Thailand within one year, however the applicant must report himself/herself to the nearest immigration office or to the police station. The fee is $225.00 AUD (nonrefundable) "

That is true, and nobody does it. Have you seen the amount of paperwork needed to get a B Visa at the Embassy, It is ridiculous.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If you have a back to back business meeting you would not legally be able to use an entry given at the airport as you must have a non-O visa for that.

I think you mean he needs a Non-immigrant B visa:

From http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/

"Business visitors or people engaged in any business activities such as attending a meeting or a conference, working or conducting a business in Thailand must have a Non-immigrant B visa before entering Thailand. The non immigrant B visa is categorized into 2 categories:

A single entry visa allows you to stay up to 90 days. The application must be supported by a letter from an employer in Australia or a business counterpart in Thailand, The fee is $90.00 AUD. (nonrefundable)

A multiple entries visa allows you to stay up to 90 days for each entry and valid for multiple entries to Thailand within one year, however the applicant must report himself/herself to the nearest immigration office or to the police station. The fee is $225.00 AUD (nonrefundable) "

That is true, and nobody does it. Have you seen the amount of paperwork needed to get a B Visa at the Embassy, It is ridiculous.

Sorry you are wrong, allot of people do it. I have had a B visa for over 15 years. Anyone working here legally needs to get a B visa. Actually it's not that bad. My office manager girl pulls everything together. Takes her less than 1 hour. Updated taxes, company registration, and a few other documents I cant recall. Submit everything the girl will check to make sure nothing is missing and next day you get your visa. I do recall one time I was missing something and a quick phone call to my office and it was faxed in, no issues.

My husband and I are coming in on an exempt stamp for 15 days in September. We're both US citizens. Should we each bring 10k baht in "pocket money" just in case? I can get some exchanged here in the states before we head to the airport if I need to, just trying to decide if it's worth the trip the travel agency.

My husband and I are coming in on an exempt stamp for 15 days in September. We're both US citizens. Should we each bring 10k baht in "pocket money" just in case? I can get some exchanged here in the states before we head to the airport if I need to, just trying to decide if it's worth the trip the travel agency.

It is never asked except some situations that do not really fit your case.

Anyway it does not have to be Thai currency. Note that when bringing cash, you will get more baht from your dollars rather than getting it from ATM or doing transfers. Yes I know most people nowadays is uncomfortable with cash, I'm just telling you the purely mathematical aspect.

• Like 1

Anyway it does not have to be Thai currency. Note that when bringing cash, you will get more baht from your dollars rather than getting it from ATM or doing transfers. Yes I know most people nowadays is uncomfortable with cash, I'm just telling you the purely mathematical aspect.

Thanks! I usually bring at least that much with me in USD. I just wasn't sure if it needed to be in baht when I arrived.

It may not seem like it but Thai immigration officials are very reasonable people. US Dollars are excepted. But you will not be asked anything I am sure and let in with hopefully a smile. Enjoy your holidays!

• Like 1

Thanks! I usually bring at least that much with me in USD. I just wasn't sure if it needed to be in baht when I arrived.

but when you cross the immigration line, dont display a huge amount of cash. Many people have been stolen by airport worker/immigratoin officer when they had to make the X-ray and luggage checking. So hide well your money!

but when you cross the immigration line, dont display a huge amount of cash. Many people have been stolen by airport worker/immigratoin officer when they had to make the X-ray and luggage checking. So hide well your money!

No worries. I never pull out cash unless I have to. I also never keep it all in one place. thumbsup.gif

The first part is always good advice, but where do you get the information from that many(how many?) people have had their money stolen by immigration officers? I never even once heard of that. Since when do immigration officers scan your luggage?

It's a bold statement which you should be able to back up.

So - we are now absolutely sure (without question) that IOs at the airports and land border checkpoints understand that all these new clarifications and/or new rules ONLY apply to Tourist Visas and Exemptions .. on arrival .. Not to those who are holding Non 'O' Visas (or other non imm visas) who are also required to exit Thailand at least every 90 days... After reading all this I feel very secure in believing I will not be questioned for my next border run as a valid non 'o' visa holder... YEAH RIGHT...

You can bet I will take all extra precautions when crossing and re-entering any Thai Border with all these precise clarifications issued by Thai Immigration ... it will just be a holiday ... of course ...

And not withstanding that I was issued a Non 'O' Visa with NO Restrictions as to how long I must stay out of the country. And that it will be honored in the near future in the light of this miasma of confusing changes to laws, rules and regulations that when I do my next 'out and back in' using my Non Imm 'O' visa that I will be allowed re-entry ... I feel so secure about that with all these clarifications ... especially considering the imitation level that has recently been applied to Thai Border Checkpoint IOs by higher ups. / NOT!

The first part is always good advice, but where do you get the information from that many(how many?) people have had their money stolen by immigration officers? I never even once heard of that. Since when do immigration officers scan your luggage?

It's a bold statement which you should be able to back up.

yes its easy to back up... please ask your friend, google!

In these last few years i did read at least 3 times report from tourist who have their money stolen at the airport.

How? when you leave the country, you have to put your personal effect(shoe, wallet, mobilphone, belt) in a basket and go throught the x-ray, to check if you dont hide weapon in your underwear or carry on luggage. Your wallet will be off of your sight for few seconds.... guess what!

a few seconds search on google

http://uncorneredmarket.com/robbed-sticky-fingers-at-bangkoks-suvarnabhumi-airport/

and i read many similar news over the last few years, some with picture....

edit : found part 2 of the previous link

http://uncorneredmarket.com/robbed-redux-sticky-fingers-suvarnabhumi-airport/

edit again: please read also the comments posted by people in the last link i provided, you will fall off your chairblink.png

Edited by Bender

There are other countries that require you to exchange "X" amount of cash when you enter the country. At least Thailand is not forcing you to exchange currency. Also safer than credit cards are travelers checks. When I 1st started to come to Thailand (and other places) back early 90's I always had travelers checks. My bank did not charge me a fee and you get a better rate of exchange. If lost of stolen you make a call no problem and replacements are sent promptly.

Traveler's cheques were never one of the best -- most economical -- options of exchanging funds in Thailand. But they've become even less so in the past year as the Thai banks have significantly raised the per cheque handling fee to, I believe, 153 baht per cheque. So each cheque, no matter the amount, is going to draw a fee roughly equal to a Thai bank ATM withdrawal of up to 30,000 baht. And most people who use them tend to carry traveler's cheques in smaller denominations like $100 or even $500 maximum, meaning the fee as a share of your exchanged funds will be even higher.

• Like 1

So you are a non-tourist until proven a tourist when using back-to-back visa exemptions. No benefit of the doubt.

Seems logical to me.

- People in this case are people who want stay more than 2 months in Thailand

- The "expected" way is to get a visa when you want stay more than 1 month as a Tourist

=> These people staying so long without a visa are suspicious.

It is very suspicious when Society suspects those who aren't causing trouble of mischief and supports the trouble-makers in persecuting them.

"One world, we are one, etc. Yes, that's all fine. But this land surface inside these cartoon lines belongs to me. And all the vassals who live inside these lines are off limits to Humanity. Come as a guest, unless you're a trouble-maker!

If you're a trouble-maker, you're VIP. The rules don't apply to successful trouble-makers."

To be fair, the West started it. Westphalia 1648

It may not seem like it but Thai immigration officials are very reasonable people. US Dollars are excepted. But you will not be asked anything I am sure and let in with hopefully a smile. Enjoy your holidays!

"US Dollars are excepted" Why won't they accept US Dollars?

I think they clearly meant "accepted".

But perhaps Thai Immigration is planning for the inevitable.

WSJ: Why $16 Trillion Only Hints at the True U.S. Debt

The actual liabilities of the federal government—including Social Security, Medicare, and federal employees' future retirement benefits—already exceed $86.8 trillion, or 550% of GDP.

Ja ja you are very sharp today :) clearly I meant to say accepted

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

As these guidelines are titled "Subject: Guideline for inspection of citizen from certain countries that are not required to obtain a visa

when entering the Kingdom of Thailand" it would seem that Ubon Joe was correct when he was telling anyone, who would listen, that the 'crackdown' was aimed at those leaving and immediately re-entering without a visa and not those who were able to procure a TR visa. We must now see if the IO's at the various borders interpret 'the rules' in the manner outlined above or if they include TR visa holders also.

Has Thai Visa gotten any information from recent meetings with immigration concerning sailboats arriving in Phuket from Malaysia? Will those boat captains now have to obtain visas to enter Thailand aboard their boats? Has there been any change concerning the time that Thai customs will allow a foreign boat to remain in Thai waters (cruising permit)? In January and February there was a time when boats entering Thailand were allowed to stay in Thailand only 2 months without importing the vessel. That was changed back to 6 months in March when they saw the foreign boats leaving the marinas in Phuket to move their boats to Langkawi. I just want to know what the new government will do regarding these critical issues for foreign boat owners in Thailand.

Also, I would like to ask the Thai visa forum for an update on the situation in Savannaket to get a Non O multiple entry marriage visa which I did in November 2013 without any financials. Has anything changed with the new consulate that was due to open any day now? I was issued my Non O marriage visa on November 10, 2013. Will I be allowed to stay in Thailand for three months if I enter on November 1st, this year? I will arrive in Thailand on October 10, depart with my Thai wife and our 7 year old daughter to Bali for two weeks and return to Phuket on November 1st with only 9 days left on my marriage visa. The only concern, I have is that I must then sail my boat to Langkawi in December to renew the cruising permit for another 6 months and then return to Phuket with an expired Non O marriage visa. With all my entry stamps in my passport, I will not look like a tourist! Will I be denied entry and have to sail the boat back to Langkawi to get a new Non O visa in Penang?

Also has Thai visa found out anything from immigration about the newly enforced law about reporting to the police or immigration for any visit over 48 hours in another province?What will happen if I go sailing to Ko Lanta or Koh Surin or the Simalons for a few weeks aboard my own boat? Will I have to report to the National Park rangers on those islands? Will the owner of the house that I have rented in Phuket for the last 5 years have to file a form each time I return to my rented house after going sailing more than 48 hours?

I know that I have presented a lot of questions on different subjects but I hope that I can remain on this thread and get some of these important answers. I am a US citizen and I am 58 years old married to a Thai for 8 years. We have a 7 year old daughter born in Phuket and I am the father. We have lived in Phuket for 8 years now and I am concerned that due to my work schedule working aboard US flagged ships on a 3-4 month rotation that I may no longer be able to stay in Phuket without running into trouble all the time with the police, immigration and customs for the US flagged sailboat that has been kept in Phuket for the last 8 years. We will also be travelling every year to stay with my wife's family in Loei and my wife owns a farm there which is taken care of by her brother. We have been planing to build a house on that land in Loei one day. Hmmmm......

So - we are now absolutely sure (without question) that IOs at the airports and land border checkpoints understand that all these new clarifications and/or new rules ONLY apply to Tourist Visas and Exemptions .. on arrival .. Not to those who are holding Non 'O' Visas (or other non imm visas) who are also required to exit Thailand at least every 90 days... After reading all this I feel very secure in believing I will not be questioned for my next border run as a valid non 'o' visa holder... YEAH RIGHT...

You can bet I will take all extra precautions when crossing and re-entering any Thai Border with all these precise clarifications issued by Thai Immigration ... it will just be a holiday ... of course ...

And not withstanding that I was issued a Non 'O' Visa with NO Restrictions as to how long I must stay out of the country. And that it will be honored in the near future in the light of this miasma of confusing changes to laws, rules and regulations that when I do my next 'out and back in' using my Non Imm 'O' visa that I will be allowed re-entry ... I feel so secure about that with all these clarifications ... especially considering the imitation level that has recently been applied to Thai Border Checkpoint IOs by higher ups. / NOT!

It does not apply to tourist visas. It is only for visa exempt entries and nothing more.

I actually think for the most part most Thai immigration officers are well intentioned. I sincerely wish though, for their sake and ours, they would somehow get a more worldly view of things. Some of their questioning is just very "off" for lack of a better word. All would be served better if they just had some good training. I am not sure why it would be so hard to quietly bring in a single person from overseas, pay him a lot to train the officers, and then those officers could spread that training. They seem to tackle these issues themselves and whether you like it or not, they just aren't good with it.

2. Reason to believe that entry into Kingdom is not for the purpose of tourism

So is visiting your Wife , Bird , Kids classed as Tourism ?

I recall when this first started they denied entry to a Korean bloke because he was in and out of Thailand doing back to backs because he had a Thai wife, so they told him to get a spousal visa

I recall when this first started they denied entry to a Korean bloke because he was in and out of Thailand doing back to backs because he had a Thai wife, so they told him to get a spousal visa

If does not really matter what you are doing here other than working illegally. Visiting family or friends is still considered tourism.

If you are determined to be a in/out visa runner they are going to deny entry anyway.

• Like 1

If does not really matter what you are doing here other than working illegally. Visiting family or friends is still considered tourism.

If you are determined to be a in/out visa runner they are going to deny entry anyway.

Joe,

First, you are the best poster on Thaivisa, thank you for all the useful information.

Are you sure about this? I was under the impression that visiting a wife and say living at your own condo was not considered tourism. If you are correct I am happy. I have never come here for a short visit, but just being able to pop in on a visa exempt would be great.

Joe,

First, you are the best poster on Thaivisa, thank you for all the useful information.

Agreed

The Russian was exploiting the visa exempt entry scheme was the reason they told him to get a visa. I don't think being married had that much to do with it.

Somebody coming in to visit their family and just staying the 30 days and leaving for a period of time before returning would be a tourist.

You can be a tourist and still own house or condo.

But if you plan on staying longer than 30 days you should get a tourist visa not doing visa runs to get new exempt entries is what immigration wants a person to do.

The crackdown will only drive those that are working here illegally to go to Laos and get a double entry tourist visa and "abuse" that system which many are already doing! The only difference will be that they will have to take a couple dyas off from work since the Consulate/Embassy is not open on weekends, The total 6 month cost will be about the same.

1. For the purpose of this Agreement, the term "tourism" is defined by the

scope established by the United Nations Statistical Commission (March

2000) through the Tourism Satellite Account: Recommended

Methodological Framework (TSA: RMF), which states that tourism

comprises "the activities of persons travelling to and staying in places

outside their usual environment for not more than one consecutive year for

leisure, business and other purposes http://www.ilo.org/public/english/bureau/leg/download/unwto.pdf