Thai Immigration guidelines for inspection of foreigners on visa exempt entries.

http://dtxtq4w60xqpw.cloudfront.net/sites/all/files/docpdf/gcetbrochureglobalcodeen.pdf

gives guidence on how tourists should act and their rights and responsibilites and the responsibilities of the governments hosting them.

These are from UN sources so this is how tourism should be defined.

Of course Thailand seems to have a ( or man) totally different deffinition(s).

Edited by harrry

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not sure the UN is their cup of tea at the moment

Well maybe it is not their father but at least here we should not keep promoting the unique definition of tourism that Thailand has. Of course it can limit it's visitors but it cannot really say that for example a tourist is only someone who only stays for 30 days in hotels and visits museums and doubly charged attractions.

Somebody coming in to visit their family and just staying the 30 days and leaving for a period of time before returning would be a tourist.

You can be a tourist and still own house or condo.

But if you plan on staying longer than 30 days you should get a tourist visa not doing visa runs to get new exempt entries is what immigration wants a person to do.

I am assuming that you are confident in making this statement subsequent to the meeting with the Immigration Commissioner a few days ago. That's absolutely great news as far as I am concerned. Thanks.

So...if you have back to back business meetings in Thailand, what visa can you apply for?

Are you joking? What business man that have one meeting today and one tomorrow, would leave the country and come back in a few hours?

Many would do that in Australia if the had a meeting in Sydney and lived in Melbourne. Same time round about. It is why airlines make money.

When I first visited Thailand in 2011, the guidelines were that you might be asked for proof of onward travel, proof you have enough money, proof of itinerary. More often than not when I've flown from Europe or Australia to Thailand I've been made to provide proof of onward travel or to show a valid visa, since even in previous years the carriers have been mitigating the risk of foreigners being denied entry (since the carrier obliged to transport you out of Thailand again at their expense).

Also for a UK citizen the rules apparent have always been that you shouldn't spend more than 3 months of any 180 day period in the country, so I was surprised when I arrived in Thailand back then to find so many people doing back to back tourist visas. And indeed I stayed for a year doing an 'in out' visa exemption run every 30 days (although admittedly some were a week long). So my passport ended up with about 12 sets of stamps and no visas in a single 12 month period.

None of this affects me now, I a visa and no problems, but I wonder if in the past 'rules' haven't been observed, what the actual weight of these new announcements is? And also I wonder longer term how the Thai economy will be affected, but I know that's a separate issue.

Just flew in from the US via Tokyo and my name was called out prior to boarding in Tokyo. They wanted to check my Thai visa which I was able to show them. I am not sure what would have happened if I hadn't got one and planned to enter on visa exemption but I assume they want to see a return ticket in that case. Airlines want to avoid being forced to fly out people who are denied entry.

The crackdown will only drive those that are working here illegally to go to Laos and get a double entry tourist visa and "abuse" that system which many are already doing! The only difference will be that they will have to take a couple dyas off from work since the Consulate/Embassy is not open on weekends, The total 6 month cost will be about the same.

I already saw reports here of people being denied a new 2-entry Tourist Visa at Vientiane.

Don't know what rules exactly they apply, but you can't be now a "permanent tourist" using Vientiane.

Why can't they just make simple rules like 2 TR 60 day visas in a year and two visa exemptions/extensions , totalling 6 months in any one year and not leave it to the discretion of the immigration officer at the border post?

Why can't they just make simple rules like 2 TR 60 day visas in a year and two visa exemptions/extensions , totalling 6 months in any one year and not leave it to the discretion of the immigration officer at the border post?

Because they tried in the past for visa exempt entry and didn't work. At the end it would be unnecessarily rigid and inconvenient. This way there is flexibility and as long one doesn't work illegally in Thailand and doesn't do back-t o-back visa exempt entries all the time, is welcome to come and stay in Thailand.

Also, visa issuance policy is under MFA authority, not Immigration, There are triple-entry visa that already allow more than 6 months anyway. For as much it is confusing and applied differently in various parts of the world, Thailand has no interest in changing that, because it works for them.

Edited by paz

"3.2 Without valid reason compiled to lack of evidence required by the immigration officer, the alien shall be refused to enter the Kingdom, pursuant to immigration law provision.":

Again this raises the question ofjust how much 'power' are the individual immigration officers going to get/have in regards to their "discretion"? This is the issue that I think we all have and that has been written about in TV many a time in the past. One would hope that the new 'bosses' will have something in mind to hold the officers at Swampy (and the other entry points and even at check points) clear regulations and procedures to follow alleviating our (the tourists) worries about getting an officer who is in a bad mood, angry at their 'other half', pissed off with Farangs, or just has a hangover from the night before and still mad at the world in general.

This is the main issue that we travelers will have to deal with now that there is attention to the "visa run" doming down from upon high. The fact that most travelers do not always have a complete itinerary and only a return ticket that might cover 6 or more months and that air/road plans to other countries in the area or even beyond with a return to Thailand can be easily made once in country (usually at a far lesser cost) has not been addressed.

Perhaps this is just a type of spot check just to keep everyone nervous about being accepted as a "tourist". But I worry that the power remaining in the individual immigration officer hands is still an issue that needs to be addressed. Other countries ask the same questions (such as the UK and the US to name two) such as "what is the purpose of your visit". But I have never been asked that question when arriving through Swampy (or anywhere else in The Kingdom). I wonder if the immigration folks will learn English so that they can ask these questions and understand the responses. Somehow I do not think so and so things will lead to them having to ask for a 'second opinion'.

There are rules that we have to follow as it is not our country. But there has to be much clearer clarification in my opinion. But, again, I live in hope.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"3.2 Without valid reason compiled to lack of evidence required by the immigration officer, the alien shall be refused to enter the Kingdom, pursuant to immigration law provision.":

Again this raises the question ofjust how much 'power' are the individual immigration officers going to get/have in regards to their "discretion"? This is the issue that I think we all have and that has been written about in TV many a time in the past. One would hope that the new 'bosses' will have something in mind to hold the officers at Swampy (and the other entry points and even at check points) clear regulations and procedures to follow alleviating our (the tourists) worries about getting an officer who is in a bad mood, angry at their 'other half', pissed off with Farangs, or just has a hangover from the night before and still mad at the world in general.

This is the main issue that we travelers will have to deal with now that there is attention to the "visa run" doming down from upon high. The fact that most travelers do not always have a complete itinerary and only a return ticket that might cover 6 or more months and that air/road plans to other countries in the area or even beyond with a return to Thailand can be easily made once in country (usually at a far lesser cost) has not been addressed.

Perhaps this is just a type of spot check just to keep everyone nervous about being accepted as a "tourist". But I worry that the power remaining in the individual immigration officer hands is still an issue that needs to be addressed. Other countries ask the same questions (such as the UK and the US to name two) such as "what is the purpose of your visit". But I have never been asked that question when arriving through Swampy (or anywhere else in The Kingdom). I wonder if the immigration folks will learn English so that they can ask these questions and understand the responses. Somehow I do not think so and so things will lead to them having to ask for a 'second opinion'.

There are rules that we have to follow as it is not our country. But there has to be much clearer clarification in my opinion. But, again, I live in hope.

Exactly my worry, its the thought of trying to convince an Immigration officer of your intent only to visit Thailand for a short time and that you do not need or should not have a Visa. I'm a bit nervy about it as I got knocked back by Malaysian customs for going out at PB and into Thailand about a year ago. My work visa for Malaysia had expired by a couple of days and I was waiting for an extension which had been applied for.

The stupid cow in the HR department told me I could go out , come back to Malaysia as a tourist after my holiday in Thailand and they would take my passport and get the new work visa. The Malaysian IM officers at PB didn't see it like that , I had overstayed , no 500bt fines in Malaysia. They detained me for about an hour , told me they could detain me until the Visa extension was ready (It was the first day of Hari Raya Holiday the biggest holiday in Malaysia, no government departments open for a week). In the end they gave me my passport back and said "Go back into Malaysia and come back when you have the Visa". It was quite a relief to get out of there but my missus and kids were supposed to be meeting me at DM and I had to call them and tell them I wasn't coming.

The thing i remember about it was the feeling of helplessness dealing with these people, they just didn't want to know, they could have re-stamped my passport with a social visit visa and let me out but they choose not to.

So forgive my Jitters I don't want to go through that again

If they do actually comply to their own guideline then it should only be people who are spending the majority of their time in Thailand using exemptions or endless tourist Visa's who will be denied entry

If I read the new guidelines correctly then not all immi officers are following their own guidelines.

I work in Malaysia, my family has remained in Hat Yai. I manage to get home for a weekend, maybe once a month.

I was denied entry this past weekend (on my wedding anniversary, no less) because I had more than 4 entries into the country this year.

It didn't matter that I am not doing "visa runs", it did not matter that my normal stay is no longer than 3 days...they tossed me back, without asking any questions, strictly on the 4-visit rule.

• Like 1

If I read the new guidelines correctly then not all immi officers are following their own guidelines.

I work in Malaysia, my family has remained in Hat Yai. I manage to get home for a weekend, maybe once a month.

I was denied entry this past weekend (on my wedding anniversary, no less) because I had more than 4 entries into the country this year.

It didn't matter that I am not doing "visa runs", it did not matter that my normal stay is no longer than 3 days...they tossed me back, without asking any questions, strictly on the 4-visit rule.

Which crossing was this? Did you spoke to any superior office or just to the booth ?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If they do actually comply to their own guideline then it should only be people who are spending the majority of their time in Thailand using exemptions or endless tourist Visa's who will be denied entry

Sorry to hear that mate , what crossing were you going through ? Never heard the 4 entries to Thailand one before

Which crossing was this? Did you spoke to any superior office or just to the booth ?

The crossing must have been Hat Yai, it was a land crossing into Southern Thailand from Malaysia.

But if correct, it shows that even with the guidelines, individual immigration officers are making up their own rules.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

So...if you have back to back business meetings in Thailand, what visa can you apply for?

Are you joking? What business man that have one meeting today and one tomorrow, would leave the country and come back in a few hours?

Many would do that in Australia if the had a meeting in Sydney and lived in Melbourne. Same time round about. It is why airlines make money.

But that's in the same country. So I can't see what that has to do with the visa question here

But that's in the same country. So I can't see what that has to do with the visa question here

I know people who do that regularly in SE Asia, they have APEC cards so aren't actually entering on visa exempts.

• Like 1

I have just seen this on another board dated today - if true this is very worrying as I am flying on Friday with 4 visa exempt entries this year and no opportunity to get to a Thai embassy fr a tourist visa before travelling.

Gents,

A Colleague who is married with a family and house car and all the fruit.

Has not been let in to the country. On a 30 tourist visa.

He works 28/28 in Egypt and the officials were set to send him back to Egypt.
He put a case to the officers to fly to Singapore and gain an AO visa (Spouse), on this point the officers agreed and luckily he spent 4 days in Singapore.

Be aware the max is 3x on a 30 day tourist visa on arrival at airport. Per calendar year. Regardles of the days in the country previously.
As his work rotation is 28/28 he had been here on the 30 day on arrival visa. having done this for about 6 years.

Anyone who is in the same position you will not be allowed to enter the country.

So visit your consulate in most Aus cities for a tourist visa.

Change it to a multi entry retirement when you enter here. If your over 51.

Please check with your local consulate.

Please make any one set to travel here aware of the (3x 30 day toirist visa on arrival) situation.

This is been acted on regarless of if you stay 1 day or 30 its the fact 3X visas have been issued in one year.

I have just seen this on another board dated today - if true this is very worrying as I am flying on Friday with 4 visa exempt entries this year and no opportunity to get to a Thai embassy fr a tourist visa before travelling.

Gents,

A Colleague who is married with a family and house car and all the fruit.

Has not been let in to the country. On a 30 tourist visa.

He works 28/28 in Egypt and the officials were set to send him back to Egypt.

He put a case to the officers to fly to Singapore and gain an AO visa (Spouse), on this point the officers agreed and luckily he spent 4 days in Singapore.

Be aware the max is 3x on a 30 day tourist visa on arrival at airport. Per calendar year. Regardles of the days in the country previously.

As his work rotation is 28/28 he had been here on the 30 day on arrival visa. having done this for about 6 years.

Anyone who is in the same position you will not be allowed to enter the country.

[deleted]

Absolutely false.

There was a rule allowing 90 days in 180 period, but it was repealed in 2008, see link below

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/doc/temporarystay/policy778-2551_en.pdf

Rotation worked are being allowed in country by hundreds every day on visa exemption, no report of problems.

Your friend should have resisted denial of entry and appealed for lawful review.

Well this says this guy was refused as more than 3 visa exempt entries in a year and an earlier post noted that someone else was refused entry at a land border for 4 visa exempt entries in a year so it sure looks like something has changed.

When I first visited Thailand in 2011, the guidelines were that you might be asked for proof of onward travel, proof you have enough money, proof of itinerary. More often than not when I've flown from Europe or Australia to Thailand I've been made to provide proof of onward travel or to show a valid visa, since even in previous years the carriers have been mitigating the risk of foreigners being denied entry (since the carrier obliged to transport you out of Thailand again at their expense).

Also for a UK citizen the rules apparent have always been that you shouldn't spend more than 3 months of any 180 day period in the country, so I was surprised when I arrived in Thailand back then to find so many people doing back to back tourist visas. And indeed I stayed for a year doing an 'in out' visa exemption run every 30 days (although admittedly some were a week long). So my passport ended up with about 12 sets of stamps and no visas in a single 12 month period.

None of this affects me now, I a visa and no problems, but I wonder if in the past 'rules' haven't been observed, what the actual weight of these new announcements is? And also I wonder longer term how the Thai economy will be affected, but I know that's a separate issue.

Just flew in from the US via Tokyo and my name was called out prior to boarding in Tokyo. They wanted to check my Thai visa which I was able to show them. I am not sure what would have happened if I hadn't got one and planned to enter on visa exemption but I assume they want to see a return ticket in that case. Airlines want to avoid being forced to fly out people who are denied entry.

Indeed, there are steep fines for the airline if someone arrives without the correct visa.

• Like 1

Well this says this guy was refused as more than 3 visa exempt entries in a year and an earlier post noted that someone else was refused entry at a land border for 4 visa exempt entries in a year so it sure looks like something has changed.

Thousands of people cross borders every day on visa exempt. Hundreds are TV members. No problems reported except on a single occasion, but if you want I cant point you to multiple first hand reports of people that has crossed without issues. Where's the truth ?

Thousands of people cross borders every day on visa exempt. Hundreds are TV members. No problems reported except on a single occasion, but if you want I cant point you to multiple first hand reports of people that has crossed without issues. Where's the truth ?

I guess the truth in this situation is something of a moving target until the new/revised rules for visa exempt entries settle down and are understood by all (including the immigration officers themselves). As I say I am flying to Swampy on Friday with 4 visa exempt entries this year for a family holiday, and I am a genuine tourist so fingers crossed I have no issues. I will be truly cheesed off if my wife and family are allowed in for their holiday but I am refused entry and sent back to London. Fingers crossed I guess.

Trotski