Just got offered a teaching job in Bangkok... Help?

Iwantto

A little about myself, I am young, professional looking, tall, athletic build, blonde hair.... No degree. (I shouldnt have to mention this, but I do at the same time).

The school, who I wont mention, is one of the best, most recognized international schools in Thailand, with many, huge campuses.

Working hours are 7:30-4, teaching English around 25 hours per week. Free lunch, have to be in the building at all times.

No work permit (since I have no degree).

Salary is 30,000 baht, 5 paid vacation days a year, and I get all the holidays.

Is this a good offer for me? I was honestly expecting more... Especially since this is Bangkok... Especially after seeing some of the other farang teachers.

I also know I can make 30,000 outside of Bangkok, so I feel like the salary should be much higher here. They offer 35,000 starting for degree holders.

Should I take it? Should I ask for more money? Should I hold out for a higher paying job?

I would just like to hear some opinions.

If ive forgotten to mention anything here, just mention it and I will fill in more details.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am 100% aware of the visa situation going on in Thailand. I have been here for 2 years, just new to Bangkok. I am only asking about the job offer.

Sure, but the terms of the job offer (as there is no work permit) mean that you'll be working in Thailand illegally, should you accept the job. And all you're worried about is the salary!

This job offer only sets you up to potentially being a criminal - probably not the wisest career move.

I wish you the best of luck.

• Like 2

You can work there while you save up to buy your ticket home. Expenses should run about 25k or so, so I think you can get home in 6 months if you save all your stang. Let's see, work for 6 months to have nothing but a flight to show fir it after 6 months, yeah, it is a great salary. Go for it.

• Like 2

I am 100% aware of the visa situation going on in Thailand. I have been here for 2 years, just new to Bangkok. I am only asking about the job offer.

Sure, but the terms of the job offer (as there is no work permit) mean that you'll be working in Thailand illegally, should you accept the job. And all you're worried about is the salary!

This job offer only sets you up to potentially being a criminal - probably not the wisest career move.

I wish you the best of luck.

I am aware.... I am also aware than 90% of all the other English teachers here, as well as internet workers and restaurant owners are also illegal...

And yes, this school is one of the top international schools in Thailand. Not joking here or making things up... My GF has a family member who holds a high position in the school.

• Like 1

You can work there while you save up to buy your ticket home. Expenses should run about 25k or so, so I think you can get home in 6 months if you save all your stang. Let's see, work for 6 months to have nothing but a flight to show fir it after 6 months, yeah, it is a great salary. Go for it.

You must have missed the part about him having a GF. That will eat up the other 5k for sure if he's any kind of man, which I think he is. My GF just called me three times following up on three sms's saying "can you send money for me".

Top Tier International schools don't hire EFL teachers. If you are teaching English you will be teaching it to native to near native speakers so I highly doubt that they would hire a backpacker for short term without visa etc.

If you are in fact correct about it being a top international school, you do realize every other teacher will be earning 80-150K baht a month.

I would love for you to PM the name of the school just out of curiousity

I am aware.... I am also aware than 90% of all the other English teachers here, as well as internet workers and restaurant owners are also illegal...

And yes, this school is one of the top international schools in Thailand. Not joking here or making things up... My GF has a family member who holds a high position in the school.

You are misinformed about the 90%. You are also misinformed about the concept that a "top" international school would hire someone to teach who isn't qualified. That leaves us with the question about the motivation of your GF. Having a family member in a high position means nothing at a school unless said person is in fact the "Director" and it's a Government school. Obviously it isn't as you say an "international" school. Bottom line, the GF doesn't want you to leave which is actually nice to know and read.

I'm assuming the job offer is to teach ESL at the International School. Plenty of International Schools employ ESL teachers in their ESL units, at substantially lower salaries than the proper teachers. But without a work permit, I wouldn't do it.

That offer isn't worth it in Bangkok, not with the added restriction of having to stay within the school/buildings throughout the entire day. You didn't mention the contact hours, but I'm assume they're either normal (18-22) or high( 23+), and with the mentioned "5 days holiday per year", are they then not going to give you holidays during the October & Summer holidays? If so, you're missing out on 2 1/2 - 3 months of holidays.

Most of the jobs which I've seen advertised in Isaan pay the same, or more, than what that job does (I'm unsure about how fussy they'd be re: degrees though). Most of these schools would also allow for a much more relaxed working environment (less professional, but more relaxed), in an area with a much lower cost of living. But of course, if you like Bangkok, then it's each to their own, but I'd figure schools in Bangkok should pay more.

Awesome, a real response!!

Yes, they are giving me the Thai holidays off.. Paid. Which I think is a pretty good benefit considering I dont have a degree, my other friends without degrees are not getting the long holidays as paid time off. The 5 days I mentioned are my personal vacation days. They said when this contract is over in a few months, at the end of this school year, my salary would be much higher on the next contract.

Teaching hours would be around 20-22 (they said it would be around 22 50 minute classes per week).

I agree though, I thought the salary is quite low. I think I should find out if its negotiable... I was telling my girlfriend I know someone in Isaan without a degree making 35k, and tons of others in Chiang Mai (where I used to live) making 30-40k without degrees. I think I'll tell them I'll take 40 or I'll take my talents elsewhere. I'm not really in dire need of a job right now.

You obviously know nothing about Asia, you also clearly didn't read inside the parentheses. Thanks for trying to respond with something useful though :)

Your right only been traveling here for 20 and living here for 15...:ph34r:

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by bkkjames
  • Like 1

That offer isn't worth it in Bangkok, not with the added restriction of having to stay within the school/buildings throughout the entire day. You didn't mention the contact hours, but I'm assume they're either normal (18-22) or high( 23+), and with the mentioned "5 days holiday per year", are they then not going to give you holidays during the October & Summer holidays? If so, you're missing out on 2 1/2 - 3 months of holidays.

Most of the jobs which I've seen advertised in Isaan pay the same, or more, than what that job does (I'm unsure about how fussy they'd be re: degrees though). Most of these schools would also allow for a much more relaxed working environment (less professional, but more relaxed), in an area with a much lower cost of living. But of course, if you like Bangkok, then it's each to their own, but I'd figure schools in Bangkok should pay more.

Please, dude. We've already got enough "professional looking" guys out there already. Don't want that the OP gets depressions.....

Edited by lostinisaan

LOL alright. Apparently I've gathered as much information as I'm ever going to get out of the teaching community here in Thailand/Bangkok. Is everyone living/teaching here really this pissed off? Ive been here 2 years and have loved every second of it. If your lives are so terrible, why dont you go home? I'm sure your local Walmart is hiring. They pay more than the schools here!

Not much more and not all schools!

A Walmart general employee will earn about $9 an hour. So about 50k baht per month.

Much better to live here!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It is a decent offer. I know quite a few schools that pay 30,000 for non-degree teachers and 35,000 for those with degrees. So this offer is ball park. Could you make more? Maybe, but you may have to look a while and it may not be that much more.

As Pink Panther mentioned, the visa situation is worrisome. I know of several teachers who have had to pull up stakes and leave over the restrictions. The noose is getting tighter and the tightening is coming in numerous areas so living in the country is getting more difficult.

.....but you asked about the job itself and the pay. I would say go for it.

Check out the OP's previous posts. Been here 2 years? He's lying to somebody.

Some kind of clueless playboy emerges. No skills. No dedication. I don't think he should be allowed around children.

'nuff said

~

Edited by 'nuff said
  • Like 1

You mention everybody is breaking the law.

Does that mean you have to as well?

Your not in your own country now.

Few years ago. No problem.

But now. If you can't get a work permit. Forget it.

Last thing you want is to be deported.

PS. Not everyone is attached to a bar girl.