Just got offered a teaching job in Bangkok... Help?

Iwantto

I guess International schools must be getting desperate if they are hiring people for only 30k without degrees.

The salary of 30k is a little low for Bangkok but not extremely for your lack of qualifications.

Take it if you want. You won't be offered much more other places.

Trust me the young and blonde isn't a qualification for a real school. So I doubt this is a top International School.

Your comment is interesting to me, because I had thought just the opposite.

I had thought that if someone was old, no matter what his or her qualifications, chances are that they would not be wanted in most schools, no matter what caliber the school might be.

• Like 1

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about OP, but anyone who tries to deny that young and good-looking is not important in Thailand is just being dishonest. Every year it becomes more obvious--looks are just important if not more important than teaching ability. Sad but true. Maybe I wouldn't be sad if I were young and handsome.

30,000 is not very good in Bangkok. Even without a degree. 35,000 is the normal starting salary. Degree or no degree.

• Like 2

My two cents.

There is no way (regardless of the benefits package) that I would live in Bangkok on 30k. No way, no how.

I also would not work in Thailand wothout a valid work permit. Again, no way.

Totally agree.

You could not pay me enough.

When I first decided to come to Thailand, I made it clear to myself, in no uncertain terms, that the longest I would remain in BKK was walking from one incoming flight to switch planes to the outgoing flight for Northern Thailand.

Basically, i was in BKK airport for about 3 hours.

Coming to Northern Thailand was the best decision I could have made.

So, I would gladly take 20,000 per month, teaching English, rather than 50,000 per month, if I were forced to live in BKK.

I don't spend that much money, anyway, but I have a much higher living standard because some really nice places are available in the North for much lower rents.

My advice to the OP is to rethink, and come North, and then try to get a job for 30,000.

Also, if you are willing to risk working without a permit, then you might as well take private lessons as well.

Of course, really, I would not teach English, period, no matter what you paid me, simply because it is exceedingly boring unless you are teaching Linguistics at the college level.

However, I don't think they would allow doing that without a college degree, or an advanced degree, probably, no matter how young the OP says he looks.

You mention everybody is breaking the law.

Does that mean you have to as well?

Your not in your own country now.

Few years ago. No problem.

But now. If you can't get a work permit. Forget it.

Last thing you want is to be deported.

PS. Not everyone is attached to a bar girl.

In some countries, if caught and deported, one is forced to live in some pretty intolerable detention centers.

Are you saying that this would happen to some farang if caught working without a permit?

I never, ever, would.

But, I am curious what happens to farang who are caught working illegally.

AND why you say that NOW it is bad to be caught teaching illegally. Is it worse than before?

You mention everybody is breaking the law.

Does that mean you have to as well?

Your not in your own country now.

Few years ago. No problem.

But now. If you can't get a work permit. Forget it.

Last thing you want is to be deported.

PS. Not everyone is attached to a bar girl.

In some countries, if caught and deported, one is forced to live in some pretty intolerable detention centers.

Are you saying that this would happen to some farang if caught working without a permit?

I never, ever, would.

But, I am curious what happens to farang who are caught working illegally.

AND why you say that NOW it is bad to be caught teaching illegally. Is it worse than before?

, what i meant was that before even without a work permit or proper visa you could still work and do visa runs although that option is not viable now

Which means the OP will be working illegally and in the country illegally

So it's double penetration in the can 555

We have been over this before.

Apparently very few people are even caught teaching illegally. And those that are caught are occasionally given a small fine.

Only a few people know of anyone getting caught. And the only fine was for 500 baht.

Some people know people who have been deported, but those were the result of fraudulent documents or serious overstay.

You can believe this, the reality, or the fear mongers.

Edited by brucetefl
  • Like 2

If you get caught overstaying, you will wind up in a detention center. Hopefully for only a short time, nobody knows for sure. Visa runs, no one knows if they will be possible in the future.

The only thing we know for sure is changes are coming down the pipe. The future is uncertain. Perhaps, in a few short months, everything will become clear and the actual impact will be minimal.

The problem is if, by luck of the draw, you happen to be the one to be made an example of. The question is “Why take a chance?”

If things go south, you will pay the price, no one else. So, to protect yourself, expect the absolute worse that could occur when you are making a decision. Better to be safe than adventurous.

It is much smarter to stay legit.

Sounds like a very boring life where you would achieve very little.

If you get caught overstaying, you will wind up in a detention center. Hopefully for only a short time, nobody knows for sure. Visa runs, no one knows if they will be possible in the future.

The only thing we know for sure is changes are coming down the pipe. The future is uncertain. Perhaps, in a few short months, everything will become clear and the actual impact will be minimal.

The problem is if, by luck of the draw, you happen to be the one to be made an example of. The question is “Why take a chance?”

If things go south, you will pay the price, no one else. So, to protect yourself, expect the absolute worse that could occur when you are making a decision. Better to be safe than adventurous.

It is much smarter to stay legit.

• Like 1

Some people like it and are good at it, some are not. To each their own.

Why does everyone teach English??

Because it's a job we can do.

It's rewarding and a way to further our interaction with Thai people.

I could sit in the bar all day but I'd go stir crazy.

• Like 1

I'd go for the job, work on the TESOL degree option and get legal as quickly as possible.

You don't seem like you want to follow rules though, and I would advise you to drop that attitude right away as someone can grass you up.

I'd go for the job, work on the TESOL degree option and get legal as quickly as possible.

You don't seem like you want to follow rules though, and I would advise you to drop that attitude right away as someone can grass you up.

I certainly wouldn't tolerate the OP at my school, and neither would other senior management. I am finding it a little hard to believe that the job offer is at even a mid-tier international school.

• Like 2

I am 100% aware of the visa situation going on in Thailand. I have been here for 2 years, just new to Bangkok. I am only asking about the job offer.

Sorry to say, but it seems somehow, that you did not learn enough about the visa situation in Thailand during your 2 years of stay. I seriously doubt the 100%.

"don't know about OP, but anyone who tries to deny that young and good-looking is not important in Thailand is just being dishonest. Every year it becomes more obvious--looks are just important if not more important than teaching ability. Sad but true. Maybe I wouldn't be sad if I were young and handsome.

Yes, it is true that in Asia looks are important and many young, attractive people get preference for jobs but typically not over those with qualifications and experience. For the bottom barrel conversation classes yes. But for jobs where they actually no about education and how to hire people, no way. With the right qualifications, experience and personality the young crowd just don't compete. For the 30k entry level positions of course they are hired first. When going up against 50 somethings that have had full careers in unrelated areas tweaking their resume to make it look as if they were teachers, of course the young attractive crowd get hired. But at "top International schools" they want professional teachers. At international scam centers of course a pulse and a young face are desired.

"30,000 is not very good in Bangkok. Even without a degree. 35,000 is the normal starting salary. Degree or no degree."

Well if you look at ajarn right now in their job section, the first 50 jobs posted in bangkok more than 80% of them are for 30k a month.

I don't know about OP, but anyone who tries to deny that young and good-looking is not important in Thailand is just being dishonest. Every year it becomes more obvious--looks are just important if not more important than teaching ability. Sad but true. Maybe I wouldn't be sad if I were young and handsome.

30,000 is not very good in Bangkok. Even without a degree. 35,000 is the normal starting salary. Degree or no degree.

Would you want this guy teaching your kids?

And the attacks continue.

Whats wrong with just answering the guys question and letting him make his own life decisions.

Its not like you are this dude's mommy!

Would I want him teaching my kids? The way it works in most schools is the school hires and supervises the teachers. I expect them to do a professional job. In this case I have no idea if the guy is any good. I have seen him post on a forum. Not a very complete picture of his teaching ability or lack hereof.

Edited by brucetefl
  • Like 2

professional looking, tall, athletic build, blonde hair

The job's yours!

one of the best, most recognized international schools in Thailand, with many, huge campuses.

Does it's name start with "S"? .... Run Forest...RUN!

I can honestly say that, from his few posts here, the OP comes across as an "unqualified, spoiled, punk kid" but its also true that most of the rest of you come across as bitter, angry old men.

Right?

Whats wrong with just answering the guys question and letting him make his own life decisions.

Thank Buddha.

Personally, I would like to know the school is only hiring educated teachers who are qualified to teach my kids, not some kid who feels entitled to stay in Thailand because his girlfriend has a family member in the school. It's about having decent teachers, not unqualified, spoiled, punk kids.

• Like 1

athletic build? Definitely needed to know that very pertinent detail, and '...most recognized international schools in Thailand...' offering you 30K Baht?! For what?? Cleaning toilets? I teach at a mediocre government school and earn 36K. Probably one of the tinker Thai's giving you the '..most recognized international schools ..' line. Promoting that school in the same way extra small items of clothing are promoted as "free size"!!

• Like 1

Would I want him teaching my kids? The way it works in most schools is the school hires and supervises the teachers. I expect them to do a professional job. In this case I have no idea if the guy is any good. I have seen him post on a forum. Not a very complete picture of his teaching ability or lack hereof.

I think most people are questioning his legal status and you can see attitude throughout his posts.

• Like 2

There is plenty of attitude going both ways.

I think most people are questioning his legal status and you can see attitude throughout his posts.

1. don't ever expect a school to make professional or any other rational decisions for that matter, and 2. unless you're applying at an international school, don't stress about "teaching ability" - essentially your only qualification is needing a white face. We've had whities from Kazakhstan hired!

I'd suggest applying for a job at a regular school, with perhaps less responsibility considering these salary figures, for the average 35,000THB