Removal of Beach Chairs on Hua Hin Beaches

glamont002

Amazing Thailand Strikes Again -- Total Insanity!!!

It was reported in the Bangkok Post 2 weeks ago that the governor of PKK province had ordered a "clean up" of illegal beach chairs and other facilities on Hua Hin beaches. I did not take it seriously. Well it has begun.

I live in HH and go to the beach at Khao Takiab 2 times a week. I always go to the same spot, a family restaurant run by a very nice Thai lady. They have chairs and umbrellas for 50 Baht. Yesterday everything was gone. She told ne the "army" had come and told all of the establishments (about 10 of them) that all of their chairs, umbrellas, etc. had to be removed permantly by August 13. She decided to do it sooner. The owner of the very small place next to her told me that right after the Queens birthday weekend she had to even dismantle her little resturant because it was technically on the beach.

So by the middle of next week there will be no place to get a chair. It is low season now, but come high season when there are literally hundreds of tourists who have been used to being able to rent a chair and umbrella will find they have to sit in the sand. They don't want to sit in the sand. Are they going to come back or will their next holiday be to a place that is more tourist friendly?

This will be economically a disaster for the many dozens of Thais who earn their livings from providing services on the beach. These are working class Thais and not "mafia" types like in Phuket and Pattaya. What are these poeple going to do now?

I asked if this stupidity could be appealed to the HH mayor and was told he can do nothing. It is the army decision and nothing can be done.

Complete and utter insanity. Destroy the tourist industry in Hua Hin and put Thais out of honest work. Amazing Thailand!

• Like 2

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Kao Takiab, Its more for Thais than farang, especially weekenders from Bangkok. I think I might know the lovely lady u mean. Was her place called 'Yut Shop'? Great shame for her and the others with kitchen/bar shacks on the beach. But there are many bar restaurants and the hotels whose premises are just back off the beach and they all put their sunbeds and some tables and chairs out on the beach. Hopefully they will get away with putting them out in the morning and in again at night. I suppose when u think about it, they must have been pushing their luck to set up shop totally on the beach in front of the others. I think that lady has done pretty well out of it and could be about ready to retire anyway.

I wonder if they will try and do it on Samet. They'll ruin it there if they try to take away all the beach bars and restaurants. Mind u, I think, as in many places, that there is a bit of a mafia of a few families there that could need sorting out.

Some things get so convoluted they can't be cleaned up. The only option is to press the reset button and start all over. It may be painful for some, and inconvenient for others.

But I hope Thailand tourism can go back to the way it was, the beautiful beaches, the visible sand, navigable sidewalks, nobody passed out on the beach after a full moon, less filth, and on and on.

Then, I hope they can regrow it responsibly, where they don't need the raw numbers of arrivals for their revenue.... (The rest of that statement will draw a zillion troll hits so I wan't finish it)

Edited by impulse

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/08/07/travel/phuket-beaches-opinion/index.html?

Which one says Holiday in Paradise? Photo #1 or #2? (#7 and #8 show the best contrast)

For every tourist missing his rental beach chair, there's a dozen that have (for many seasons) been missing a place to toss out a towel and enjoy what they used to come to Thailand for.

Maybe now, they'll be back...

totally agree a few years back we went to Surin beach and just turned straight back around and left. the mess they made of the beaches in Phuket was one of the main reasons we decided to move to Hua Hin

i hope they clear Cha-am too :)

• Like 1

OP, have you ever seen beaches in the western world. I've seen 100's of beaches and 10's of 1000's of beach goers who enjoy the beach without having to rent beach chairs and umbrellas. Most of the tourists who come here know how to enjoy a beach without chairs and umbrellas.

I do enjoy a nice beach chair with a protective umbrella on the rare occasion I visit the beach, but I also hate that my view of the beach is obstructed by wall-to-wall beach chairs and umbrellas. On the whole, I'd prefer a clean beach where people lay on blankets or bamboo mats they bring to the beach. Then the city could have a campaign of planting shade trees or palms to replace the umbrellas.

On the other hand, I feel deeply for all the working class Thais who felt their businesses were safe in Phuket, Pattaya, HH, Jomtien and all the National Forests who are having their businesses torn down by a military doing the right thing, but in the wrong way. The problem was caused by corrupt government officials who allowed all this to happen for cash in their pocket or negligence and they are the ones who should pay for what is happening to these working class Thais. At the very least the government should be compensating these Thais for their loss of livelihood.

Edited by oneday
  • Like 1

Surely they are only removing the "permanent" fixtures - beach/coconut umbrellas, tables, chairs.

Vendors should be able to have a small stall next to the beach, where they can store/display their portable beach equipment. Tourists come, rent chairs/tables/umbrellas etc, stroll a few yards to their chosen spot (perhaps the vendors can help carry & set up the beach furniture), and stay for a few hours, after which they pack up everything and return the equipment to the vendor and collect their deposit.

Tourists would be happy (the beach is empty each morning, they have a larger selection of vendors and equipment, they can choose whichever spot on the beach they like). The "losers" will be the 10 vendors/families who hitherto have staked the beach area for years, as they will have new competitive providers of beach stuff..

This is how it probably all started many moons ago , until somebody got fed up with hauling the chairs and brollys in every night.

Which one says Holiday in Paradise? Photo #1 or #2? (#7 and #8 show the best contrast)

For every tourist missing his rental beach chair, there's a dozen that have (for many seasons) been missing a place to toss out a towel and enjoy what they used to come to Thailand for.

I would rather have #2 and #8 Than any of the others.

• Like 2

Personally, I couldn't care less. Chairs or no chairs wouldn't stop me going to the beach. In fact, I fail to see why anyone would get worked up over it.

What I would be interested to know is, have they also got rid of the guys who rent out the tables and chairs on the military beach south of Hua Hin...??? Just wondering...!!!

Say goodbye to your sun chair, umbrella and cold drink because there is new sheriff in town.

Whenever I hear this kind of complaining, I chock it up to pure selfishness. I want what I want. I don't care about the ecological impact of what I do.

They're insane for taking away my sun chair!!! What about the tourists? The horror!

The people renting you a chair were operating a business illegally on public land. They were paying the people whose job it was to protect the land (who were turning around and selling it).

I have no empathy for them or you. This is the best thing that ever happened to Thailand. They should be taking out all those structures that have illegally encroached the beaches all along the coast. There are plenty of them in Hua Hin that should and will be coming down. Good riddance. Finally, someone put a stop to the encroachment, the illegal businesses and the corruption.

Sorry buddy. The only thing on the King's beach... sand. Insane, right? biggrin.png

Leaving aside the utter nastiness of these remarks, i would only point out that the "ecological impact" of beach chairs and umbrellas is exactly zero.

even I don't agree with all decisions of the Army I have to admit that is is absolutely one of the best ideas to clean the beaches. If there are illegally built businesses they have to be demolished. Brings Thailand back to a beautiful destination. Tourists will honor that.

• Like 1

Umbrellas protect from the sun, which, as all of you know, is very dangerous ( Cancer costs much money ) ; Chairs and umbrellas are not beautiful, but , as said above,

I would prefer they get rid of dogs, horses and jet ski

• Like 1

Umbrellas protect from the sun, which, as all of you know, is very dangerous ( Cancer costs much money ) ; Chairs and umbrellas are not beautiful, but , as said above,

I would prefer they get rid of dogs, horses and jet ski

Ever heard of sun-block factor 50 and a wide-brim hat?

Edited by KarenBravo
  • Like 1

No sympathy to the businesses operating illegally on public land. If this would only set the example to sidewalk vendors, the BKK and other cities might actually become navigable. Sorry for your friend; I'm sure she's a delightful lady. Now Thailand will have to find a way to live & thrive under the rule of law rather than dog-eat-dog.

• Like 2

totally agree a few years back we went to Surin beach and just turned straight back around and left. the mess they made of the beaches in Phuket was one of the main reasons we decided to move to Hua Hin

i hope they clear Cha-am too smile.png

As a family we enjoyed our short time in Cha-Am. The deck chairs are well enough back from the beach and it was lovely to sit there and be served seafood and beer for lunch while being able to keep an eye on the kids. Wish I was there now instead of the middle of this rice field.

Hua Hin was altogether different though Been there many times and if memory serves there is so much furniture on the beach to the left of the main entrance that you have to walk in the water to go left on the beach. A huge eyesore. Didn't like the donkey shit on the sand but you can see it to avoid it and the kids loved the donkey rides. It will never be a perfect world so just enjoy the good parts.

Ever heard of sun-block factor 50 and a wide-brim hat?

I know them, but for sun block you must put some more every two hours, and again after swimming , and for hours, chairs and umbrellas are much nicer

For Cha am, ( where I live ), the futur Pukhet, there are still kilometers of beach without chairs - umbrellas: don't be lazy and walk; around Cha am, there are tree long beaches without chairs and umbrellas

on wednesday, no chairs ;

for beautiful empty beaches, you should have been there 35 years ago, as I did