Headlights just to Weak

kiniyow

Mitsubishi Triton but the Lights seem very weak at night..Especially during bad weather or rain.....

The Lens are Crazed from sunshine blocking the light to fully get out onto the road...Mitsubishi wants 14,000 THB for new Lights but this is far to much money when I only want New Lens covers.....

Local Glass place Cleaned to lens covers for 1500 THB but still very little improvement.....I have a Nissan and the Lights are fine at night but this Truck is flat dangerous to drive at night....

Changed the Bulbs to Max Power and still hardly any better due to the cheap Plastic Lens has been burned by sunshine....

After Market Lights Perhaps? Anything to improve the night driving will be very helpful...I see a few Cars with LEDs Bulbs Lighting the entire Highway up and have no idea to to buy these? Thanks for any help I can get and it is Not my Vision~~~~

This may be a stupid question but, do you have dark film on the windscreen of your Mitsu?

About a 4 inch strip across the top of the windshield but the rest of the windshield is clear glass...The side Glass are tinted but not the Windshield other then the top Portion..

• Like 1

This may be a stupid question but, do you have dark film on the windscreen of your Mitsu?

About a 4 inch strip across the top of the windshield but the rest of the windshield is clear glass...The side Glass are tinted but not the Windshield other then the top Portion..

You may want to check again.  My Mitsu has the 4" strip on top, and the rest of the windshield is also tinted- way too dark for night driving.

I don't generally drive at night anyway.  But if I did, I'd remove the tinting- or at least change to a lighter tint.

• Like 1

If the dim issue is related to cloudy plastic covers then you can use some tooth paste (not gel) to polish if no special plastic polish or refurb kits are available.. it is possible your alternator is not putting out full strength too which is eventually going to end up killing your battery if this goes on long enough.. Look at the lights while on at night, do they seem dim? If so? Likely an alternator problem.

• Like 1

Went to a Plastic shop today near Lam Chabang...He took the lights out and put them in a Large Microwave oven.. saying the heat will re-furb the Glue in the Plastic curing the Haze Problem.....1800 Baht Latter and they still look the same to me...Light can't seem to penitrate the plastic lens so I guess I'm back to square one...

Elect Shop told me the Alternator was doing it's job and he installed a Booster on the Lamp wire but still about the same...Lots of Money being spent with little improvement...

Microwave oven?? They have reflective backings and also metal, not exactly good for microwaves.. At any rate there are a few good other suggestions here so I think if done properly you should get decent results from at least one of them.. Then possibly follow up with some Xenon kits.

If the headlights were fine before the lenses aged, try this:

http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g3000-heavy-duty-headlight-restoration-kit/

If you want something significantly brighter than OEM, get a pair of these:

http://www.rstyleracing.com/index.php?ProductID=Product-110528134385483

Then add in a 50w HID Xenon bulbs/ballasts kit - overall cost will still be less than just buying a new set of OEM lenses, and you'll have around 3-4x the light. Just make sure the projectors are aligned correctly so you don't blind other road users. 

• Like 1

Went to a Plastic shop today near Lam Chabang...He took the lights out and put them in a Large Microwave oven.. saying the heat will re-furb the Glue in the Plastic curing the Haze Problem.....1800 Baht Latter and they still look the same to me...Light can't seem to penitrate the plastic lens so I guess I'm back to square one...

Elect Shop told me the Alternator was doing it's job and he installed a Booster on the Lamp wire but still about the same...Lots of Money being spent with little improvement...

555 I am guessing your friend in the plastic shop has screwed the pooch now!  You may never get them right after the microwave fried them.

But your as persistent as a Jack Russell so how about  taking them out yourself and using toothpaste and a buff give em one last try.

As mentioned not gel toothpaste.

And try an area away from the area of the light beam.

And doen't work in the one spot, keep it moving.

[attachment=278668:CropperCapture30.jpg]

[attachment=278669:CropperCapture31.jpg]

Edited by BSJ

555 I am guessing your friend in the plastic shop has screwed the pooch now!  You may never get them right after the microwave fried them.

But your as persistent as a Jack Russell so how about  taking them out yourself and using toothpaste and a buff give em one last try.

attachicon.gifCropperCapture30.jpg

attachicon.gifCropperCapture31.jpg

I'm not sure if the toothpaste is gritty enough. May need the one with 'salt'. I got a tube of cheap scratch remover from Tops. The larger Tops stores should stock it. It was about 100 baht. I've seen lots of old faded headlights on cars here, but it's an easy fit. But after being microwaved, I'm not even sure this method will work. 

attachicon.gifCropperCapture30.jpg

attachicon.gifCropperCapture31.jpg

I'm not sure if the toothpaste is gritty enough. May need the one with 'salt'. I got a tube of cheap scratch remover from Tops. The larger Tops stores should stock it. It was about 100 baht. I've seen lots of old faded headlights on cars here, but it's an easy fit. But after being microwaved, I'm not even sure this method will work. 

Back in Oz I've used auto shop cutting compound and a buff which works really well.

Today was rubbing Toothpaste and brasso I just bought to no avail...Some Help but the Burn part it seems is all the way through the Lens cover...Sun did this the Microwave only helped it...This Plastic shop only does LEDs and Lights..Low Power Microwave to Repair Head lights....

Going to Try Just  to Order the Lens covers..Mitsubishi wants to sell the Entire Light Assembly and I only need the Lens Repaired or Replaced...I have seen other Tritons with this exact Problem so I'm not alone..

I think HID lights are the best solution in this scenario.

If you bang your lights on at night with engine off and then start the engine and turn on the aircon, stereo etc....do the lights dim any?

If so new alternator as someone else mentioned.

I think HID lights are the best solution in this scenario.

If you bang your lights on at night with engine off and then start the engine and turn on the aircon, stereo etc....do the lights dim any?

If so new alternator as someone else mentioned.

While I agree that HID lights are the best solution, I have them myself, in this case because of the hazy lens covers they will only make the problem worse by defusing the light.

sad.png