Linux Mint high power consumption?

jack2964

I installed Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon with dual boot option into Win7 (my previous OS).

I am completely new to Linux but am quite happy so far other than noticing my laptop runs considerably hotter and battery charge falls rapidly as compared to Win7 usage.

I got "Powertop" installed after doing some research on the net and on each start up I manually set to "Good" in the "tuneables" tab but it all seems in vain. Power consumption still is excessive comparatively with Win7 and I only have Firefox running.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to resolve this or is this how Linux is?

Thanks in advance.

Not knowing your hardware...perhaps you need to install Optimus due to having an Intel/Nvidia system.

My Laptop is a Dell XPS L511Z and in Win7 'Device Manager" it shows both Intel® HD Graphics Family and Nvidia GeForce GT 525M for Display Adapters.

I ought to point out, this is 64bit machine but I tried and failed many times trying to install the 64bit version of Mint and in the end installed the 32bit version.

I'll read up on Optimus and give it a try. Thanks!

Get a cheap laptop cooler fom local comp shop or TLotus etc. 120B is a small investment to help avert a potential disaster... took me a few years here to realise this. AA

Being somewhat challenged with computers I followed as much I could what I found on the net and installed Bumblebee.

At the end of the steps, I typed 'glxspheres' as instructed but I didn't get the colourful graphics to display, instead I got this:

'glxspheres: command not found'. However, it appears the laptop is now running cooler and the internal fan isn't running and battery seems to be holding.

You can, from the terminal, run "sudo apt-get install glxspheres". It's not really necessary other than to demonstrate the optimus is working properly...because running "primus glxspheres" afterwards should show a large jump in framerates.

I assume that you are looking for energy savings; make sure you now run powertop and see how much power is being used.

I got this when I tried to install glxspheres but I can live without it if Bumblebee is indeed now working:

sudo apt-get install glxspheres

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree

Reading state information... Done

E: Unable to locate package glxspheres

And I am pleased that Powertop is now reporting:

The battery reports a discharge rate of 9.16 W

The estimated remaining time is 4 hours, 6 minutes (batt icon shows 72% charge)

Thanks Dave.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...