Virus In Korat

dereklev

There are, as yet unconfirmed reports, of an unknown virus affecting young children in Korat and the surrounding area.

It has been suggested that it maybe be Dengue Fever, Meningitis or Enterovirus.

It is said that more than a week after it was first talked about that the local Doctors still have no idea of what the virus is.

There have been reports of several deaths in young children.

Can anyone shed any light on this??

Admin/Mods I have posted this in the Health Forum and the Isaan Forum in the hope of getting maximum coverage, There are a lot of very concerned parents of young kids up here, me included!! We would appreciate it if you could leave it in both Forums. Thanks

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Children don't die in numbers from Common Flu.

SO!

What do the children who have this " virus"complain of ? ( symptoms)

What signs of illness do they have?

Does any pyrexia ( high temperature) respond to aspirin/paracetamol and fluids +++?

In any case the patient with a headache vomiting ,fever, poor feeding or lethargy should be isolated, in hospital until diagnosed.

In the case of these and a stiff neck, menigitis should be suspected.

In the case of small children, who may not show all these symptoms immediately, assume menigitis AND TREAT AS until proved otherwise.

Is there a Public Health Dept in Korat and what are they doing about it? Are they arranging a mass vaccination programme in case?

Menigitis is highly contagious.

Treatment is IMMEDIATE Intra venous, benzyl penicillin 600mg for young children ( half for infants)

(Double for adults).

Some patients are sensitive to Penicillin and the Cefotaxime group are indicated.

An "information directory notice" ? dereklev

Let me know if you need further help.

Edited by Korat Correct

There are, as yet unconfirmed reports, of an unknown virus affecting young children in Korat and the surrounding area.

It has been suggested that it maybe be Dengue Fever, Meningitis or Enterovirus.

It is said that more than a week after it was first talked about that the local Doctors still have no idea of what the virus is.

There have been reports of several deaths in young children.

Can anyone shed any light on this??

Admin/Mods I have posted this in the Health Forum and the Isaan Forum in the hope of getting maximum coverage, There are a lot of very concerned parents of young kids up here, me included!! We would appreciate it if you could leave it in both Forums. Thanks

I spoke to a friend at Maharat, and was told that the cases last week were not Dengue, it was a unknown and very potent enterovirus viral infection. It attacked the heart and lungs and brain within in 24 hours after the child's temperature started to to rise. She explained to me that this virus was very difficult to treat and caused death in children in all the cases that they have seen. There has been no more cases since last week. She said that it is very easy to prevent the children from getting the virus, as it spread through bodily fluid such as tears, saliver, feces and contaminated surfaces. It can also be passed by contaminated water supply too. Basically I was advised to improve hygiene in the home and minimize exposer to other possible ways of of contracting the virus. So I'm now putting my son in a sterile plastic bag.

There was a virus here on Koh Phangan recently, my husband had it, symptoms were high fever, bad headache and aching body (no nausea). His temp was 41. He said, at one point, his body was shaking so hard, he could barely walk (presumably from the fever). He took paracetamol and the fever came down quite quickly.

He had his blood tested for dengue and malaria and tested neg for both.

My husband told me that a famous Thai actor was hospitalized with the same symptoms.

Oddly enough, two weeks before my husband was ill my nephew had the same symptoms in the US.

Surely the main hospitals in Korat will know something.

As I said Lazykhao......

...so clearly they don't.. :o

KC there are many posts on the KEC Information Directory website, I was just trying to widen the catchment area for responses.

The symptoms include Pyrexia (high temp), fever, dehydration etc.

This is a quote from 1st July by someone who works at one of the major govenment hospitals in Korat......

She said that there appears to be a new viral infection that has caused 4 deaths in her hospital and 3 deaths in non government hospitals. Parents are bringing their children into hospital with high temperatures and within 24 hours the virus has attacked the heart and lungs causing respiratory failure and death in 24 hours.

That is all I know as of now....

There appears to be a similar problem around here. Three children died near our village (half hour drive SW of Sisaket) a couple of weeks ago. I tried to ascertain the symptoms and told it was from mosquitos - I said Malaria? and was told "something like that"!

I don't have a lot of faith in the diagnostic abilities of hospitals around here - I've spent a fair amount of time visiting Sisaket hospital recently, a man was admitted to the ward we were in who my wife recognised as an old school friend. He had been transferred from Prang Khu with suspected heart attack. On diagnoses in Sisaket it was found to be TB. He was dead within a few hours and the bed occupied by a new victim - same linen and all!

Actually korat correct is incorrect. Children do die from the flu.From the US CDC:

BACKGROUND: Although influenza is common among children, pediatric mortality related to laboratory-confirmed influenza has not been assessed nationally. METHODS: During the 2003-2004 influenza season, we requested that state health departments report any death associated with laboratory-confirmed influenza in a U.S. resident younger than 18 years of age. Case reports, medical records, and autopsy reports were reviewed, and available influenza-virus isolates were analyzed at the

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. RESULTS: One hundred fifty-three influenza-associated deaths among children were reported by 40 state health departments. The median age of the children was three years, and 96 of them (63 percent) were younger than five years old. Forty-seven of the children (31 percent) died outside a hospital setting, and 45 (29 percent) died within three days after the onset of illness. Bacterial coinfections were identified in 24 of the 102 children tested (24 percent). Thirty-three percent of the children had an underlying condition recognized to increase the risk of influenza-related complications, and 20 percent had other chronic conditions; 47 percent had previously been healthy. Chronic neurologic or neuromuscular conditions were present in one third. The mortality rate was highest among children younger than six months of age (0.88 per 100,000 children; 95 percent confidence interval, 0.52 to 1.39 per 100,000). CONCLUSIONS: A substantial number of influenza-associated deaths occurred among U.S. children during the 2003-2004 influenza season. High priority should be given to improvements in influenza-vaccine coverage and improvements in the diagnosis and treatment of influenza to reduce childhood mortality from influenza. Copyright 2005 Massachusetts Medical Society.

I have just spoken to my son's paediatrician at the Ratchasima Thonbori hospital.

He confirmed that there is a potentially lethal virus in the Korat area.

He confirmed that they do not know what the virus is at present. He said it could be as long as 10-14 days before they knew for sure. Samples (?) of the virus have been sent to BKK and overseas for testing.

He said that at present they are treating the virus as an Enterovirus.

I asked what precautions I should take to protect my son and was told that isololation from other children was the surest way of protecting my son. He particular mentioned NOT taking my son to nursery, markets, shopping centres etc. He said that they believe the virus is passed by saliva and other bodily fluids and can also be transmitted through contaminated food and water.

Do not let your children share food and drink with others!!!

He repeated all he said to me in Thai for my wife..........whether she will listen or not is another thing!!!

There are more than 70 Enteroviral infection types.

They are spread by oral to oral or faecal to oral routes

Incubation is 2-5 days

They are highly contagious

After ingestion of the infected material EV's are implanted in the alimentary tract ( nose to gut)

Specific antibodies may be detected in serum after 1 week.

Affects children under 10 years and Neotates are known to suffer myocardial problems.

Treat the fever and replace lost fluids ( see entry before)

Oral lesions with mouthwashes.

Pleconaril is an antiviral drug !!!!!!!!!!!!

Watch out for Cardiac or Neurological complications. ( stiff neck partial paralysis. See before)

Enterovirals can be misdiagnosed and often are. See herpes simplex or influenza.

There is also the possibility of a bacterial gut infection ( common in UK)

(A gram negative organism can be treated with Erythromycin!!)

Often a non polio enteroviral but all children should have been given Polio vaccine and possibly the Meningitis Vaccine hence the Public Health Dept.

(An information directory notice)

Dereklev -- Prevention is definitely better than cure so you have been given that advice.

There are more than 70 Enteroviral infection types.

They are spread by oral to oral or faecal to oral routes

Incubation is 2-5 days

They are highly contagious

After ingestion of the infected material EV's are implanted in the alimentary tract ( nose to gut)

Specific antibodies may be detected in serum after 1 week.

Affects children under 10 years and Neotates are known to suffer myocardial problems.

Treat the fever and replace lost fluids ( see entry before)

Oral lesions with mouthwashes.

Pleconaril is an antiviral drug !!!!!!!!!!!!

Watch out for Cardiac or Neurological complications. ( stiff neck partial paralysis. See before)

Enterovirals can be misdiagnosed and often are. See herpes simplex or influenza.

There is also the possibility of a bacterial gut infection ( common in UK)

(A gram negative organism can be treated with Erythromycin!!)

Often a non polio enteroviral but all children should have been given Polio vaccine and possibly the Meningitis Vaccine hence the Public Health Dept.

(An information directory notice)

Dereklev -- Prevention is definitely better than cure so you have been given that advice.

Thanks for the advice KC.....

I have however spent the last few days taking every PRACTICAL measure to keep my son safe.

Pleconaril is licensed to treat the common cold...

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=12412

Erythromycin is used in the treatment of sexually transmitted diseases....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erythromycin

Here is a link from the KEC Information Directory that is relevant to Enterorviruses......

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/entero...olio_entero.htm

As I said Lazykhao......

I believe this is an irresponsible post designed to cause alarm to people with young children.

What efforts locally have you taken to determine the facts? How do you know children have died from an unknown virus? Have YOU spoken to medical professionals in the area? If so what are their names or positions. Have schools been alerted, to your personal knowledge?

You say local doctors have no idea what the virus is so you are posting here to obtain authoritative information. Do you realise how ridiculous that appears?

No doubt you will pass on forum members expert speculation to the medical authorities.

Dereklev,

In another thread in this forum you are inviting all members to a piss up at your house this Sunday.

Please demonstrate that my previous post is unworthy by cancelling your party because if a killer virus is infecting Korat any large gathering where children are present is irresponsible.

Dereklev,

In another thread in this forum you are inviting all members to a piss up at your house this Sunday.

Please demonstrate that my previous post is unworthy by cancelling your party because if a killer virus is infecting Korat any large gathering where children are present is irresponsible.

Next Sunday ???

The 30th is weeks away. Next Sunday is the 9th, Lazykhao are you to lazy even to work that out ?

CF

Edited by Cheeky Farang

Dereklev

The British National Formulary states that Erythromycin is also indicated as an alternative to penicillin in hypersensitive patients, campylobacter enteritis, pneumonia, legionnaires disease, syphilis etc..

It is for gram negative organisms,the kind found in the gut and safe for children.

I was only trying to be helpful.

As I said Lazykhao......

I believe this is an irresponsible post designed to cause alarm to people with young children.

What efforts locally have you taken to determine the facts? How do you know children have died from an unknown virus? Have YOU spoken to medical professionals in the area? If so what are their names or positions. Have schools been alerted, to your personal knowledge?

You say local doctors have no idea what the virus is so you are posting here to obtain authoritative information. Do you realise how ridiculous that appears?

No doubt you will pass on forum members expert speculation to the medical authorities.

Lazykhao you may think what you want! I would however suggest that you read what has been written before you engage your brain :D

I have an 18 month old son and I am very concerned at the lack of information coming from the Thai medical authorities. I am only looking for knowledge to help me keep my son son safe and well.

Yes I have spoken to a medical professional and the outcome of the conversation is posted above. Other local farang have also spoken to medical professionals and it is the lack of information that prompted my original post.

Yes the deaths have been confirmed and are common knowledge amongst the Farang community in Korat.

You have twice called me ridiculous yet I merely wish to keep other parents informed and to see if anyone on this forum has any information to share. This topic has been running for at least 10 days on a Korat based Forum that I cannot name here.

If you find that ridiculous you have scant regard for the lives of young children!

By the by as Cheeky Farang says the 30th is weeks away not this Sunday......... :o

KC I took your post seriously and know that you were being helpful.

I was only trying to point out that the use of unprescribed medication is not a route I would follow for my son.

You can search the internet and find drugs for all maladies. It doesn't, in my book, mean they should be used unless prescribed by a doctor.

Dereklev

Your comments taken in good faith.

Take care to have too much "faith" in doctors.

POM's "prescription only medicines" are one way of protecting medical interests.

You know the saying "Doctor knows best"

They are very knowledgeable but sometimes they presume the rest of us are not,which is not true.

After many years the NHS now allows others to take blood, give advice and prescribe some medicines. Previously the NHS claimed it was an insurance risk. Medical Technicians ( Ambulance men)now use defibrillators and give morphine.

You can buy many drugs over the counter in most countries that are unavailable to you in the UK but it hasn't stopped UK drug abuse and hasn't caused it in the other countries.

By using common sense and getting to a centre of excellence for the best advice you can guide your families health care in the direction that meets your needs.

It is always worth listening to the professionals even though you don't have to take their advice.

Let me know if you manage to find out how effective the Public Health Service is in Korat. They should have a Consultant Physician in charge who should not only be accessible but have said something publicly on this Virus, that has been claimed to have killed children, its effect on public health and what they are doing to contain it.

Edited by Korat Correct

Dereklev,

I apologise for calling you irresponsible. I have a 6 year old daughter. I understand you are a concerned father trying to find out what is fact and what is rumour or even what is mischief making. I live in Isaan although some way from Korat. I take issue of the health of my child very seriously indeed.

The purpose of this further post is to discredit what you have read in another forum.

You say, if I understand correctly, the deaths are confirmed by the farang community. Yet you also say that they have spoken with local health professionals and there is a lack of information. So who has confirmed the deaths? Can they give the name of a health professional you could contact to verify their assertion. Do they know the name of a single dead child or the village the child is from?

You also say you spoke to your son's paediatrician who confirmed there is a potentially lethal virus. From that I assume he also could not confirm there have been deaths. This tends to discredit anything you may have read in another forum. Are you suggesting the hospitals are guilty of a cover-up?

I have heard there have been deaths from Dengue fever in Isaan, which is hardly unusual in the rainy season, but I cannot state it as a fact. I have read in the Nation or Post there is a nationwide health warning for Dengue and bacterial meningitis.

I don't know how long you have lived in Thailand but the rumour mill is alive and well. Inevitable where there are no local newspapers or TV stations.

The fact that these "confirmed rumours" started some days ago but there are no substantiating facts implies they can be disregarded. I sincerely hope I am right.

I recall that on 8 June there was a rumour going around my village that the Kings eldest daughter had died in Switzerland. This was started by 2 local police who had learnt it from police in Bangkok. They chose not to believe their own eyes. She had already been shown on Thai TV arriving back in Thailand!!!

Edited by Lazykhao

Derek was trying to inform people of a new virus that is killing children in the Korat area. He is not being irresponsible. I have personally been told by health a worker there has been eight confirmed deaths in children during the last week. I can also give the name of the health worker. The problem appears to be an enterovirus infection type 71, but that is yet to be confirmed. That will take a week or so before reliable tests can be made. The authorities are not releasing the news publicaly. I'm not sure why, but the Thai authorities do have a record of not releasing public health information ie SARS, so I'm not tha surprised. But regardless of the hospitals reluctance to release this information the news is still getting out.

Korat Correct: As for self treating viruses, well I will leave that to individuals to decide, but it does not sound like the correct way to go for me.

Buriram

My oldest son almost 4 yrs, has gotten sick coffin and having slime in his troath and very hot skin, but when checking temperature he is normal 37,5 celsius.

In the morning we went to our doctor whom also delivered my son, and checked him out,

4 different bottles paracetamol, Chlorpheniamine maleate, Brompheniramine maleate, and RANCIL Amoxicillin.

He told my wife that he knew about the situation in Korat and for us to look for any stiffness or bleeding from nose etc that might occurand if so go straight to the hospital.

The thing is that my wife didnt tell me about it, i confronted her with the info from thaivisa and she sad, yes the doctor told me in the morning about it.

Idont belive that my son is that very ill but you never know so all the info i get the more i know how to respond correct.

I think there will be som topsalopsalay when she gets back later, it so typical to only say what se prefer to say as it might be difficult to explain whats it all about.

Ill get back later on the issue of his wellbeing and the shitty explanation my wife will tell about not telling the hole story.

Tjipp

pnustedt my contacts in the health ministry in your area haven't recieved any reports of problems yet. That doesn't mean to say there isn't a problem.

Information and photos on EV 71 Hand-Foot-and-Mouth Disease can be found on this link.

http://www.ichr.uwa.edu.au/apnet/clinician/

I hope this helps in some way.

Dereklev

You are spot on worrying about your son . My grandaughter is 7 years and going to school outside the house of course we worry about eveything. At least your son is home. I told my grand before she went to school this morning not to share her drinks or food. She said yes grandpa but I still worry. :o

My problem is with people like Korat Correct who are given medical advice with out a degree. We can all look up his info on the internet but he seems to want to be the know it all for everything. Medicine, Farming, expat club, etc. I do not know how long he has been in Thailand but for a lot of us this is not our first rodeo. We appreciate his knowledge but I think it is time that he backed off some. His jokes went no where and his resturant critques went the same way. I think he should relax a little and not try to make Isaan into something we all try to escape. :D I have many mistakes in my life and have learned from them all. I don't think that we need the sufficating advice form our mothers or Korat Correct. This is why I think the KEC should be a social club not a do gooders club. I could stand or sit with KC for hours drinking and talking about the worls and life but I don't need his know it all attitude telling me how it should be here in Thailand.

Thai Ranger

Buriram

My oldest son almost 4 yrs, has gotten sick coffin and having slime in his troath and very hot skin, but when checking temperature he is normal 37,5 celsius.

In the morning we went to our doctor whom also delivered my son, and checked him out,

4 different bottles paracetamol, Chlorpheniamine maleate, Brompheniramine maleate, and RANCIL Amoxicillin.

He told my wife that he knew about the situation in Korat and for us to look for any stiffness or bleeding from nose etc that might occurand if so go straight to the hospital.

The thing is that my wife didnt tell me about it, i confronted her with the info from thaivisa and she sad, yes the doctor told me in the morning about it.

Idont belive that my son is that very ill but you never know so all the info i get the more i know how to respond correct.

I think there will be som topsalopsalay when she gets back later, it so typical to only say what se prefer to say as it might be difficult to explain whats it all about.

Ill get back later on the issue of his wellbeing and the shitty explanation my wife will tell about not telling the hole story.

Tjipp

Goofy,

Rest easy. You doctor obviously has diagnosed your son as suffering a bacterial infection, hence prescribing Amoxicillin.

Nose bleeding is NOT a sympton of Enterovirus 71 which is rarely fatal even in children.

Those others spouting virus 71 have not the first idea what it is. Makes them sound impressive though.

Take it easy on your wife. The Doctor could not have informed her of the alleged outbreak in Korat unless he reads a local sad farangs forum. More likely your wife will not allow you to believe you know something she doesn't. A cultural thing.

So far there is NO CONFIRMATION of an outbreak of a viral epedemic in Korat. Just members of another forum trying to outdo each other with each claiming they have unnamed sources who strangely choose to confide in farangs but not local schools. A cover up my arse!!!. Not as though it could affect the tourist industry.

There is nothing on the ministry website, the British Consul knows nothing. Local Thais know nothing, schools no nothing. Only ex-pats. You are witnessing an outbreak of mass hysteria amongst the farang community, and like most viral infections there is no cure.

Buriram

Tjipp

Goofy,

Rest easy. You doctor obviously has diagnosed your son as suffering a bacterial infection, hence prescribing Amoxicillin.

Nose bleeding is NOT a sympton of Enterovirus 71 which is rarely fatal even in children.

Those others spouting virus 71 have not the first idea what it is. Makes them sound impressive though.

Take it easy on your wife. The Doctor could not have informed her of the alleged outbreak in Korat unless he reads a local sad farangs forum. More likely your wife will not allow you to believe you know something she doesn't. A cultural thing.

So far there is NO CONFIRMATION of an outbreak of a viral epedemic in Korat. Just members of another forum trying to outdo each other with each claiming they have unnamed sources who strangely choose to confide in farangs but not local schools. A cover up my arse!!!. Not as though it could affect the tourist industry.

There is nothing on the ministry website, the British Consul knows nothing. Local Thais know nothing, schools no nothing. Only ex-pats. You are witnessing an outbreak of mass hysteria amongst the farang community, and like most viral infections there is no cure.

Diddly squat

You are Spot On

Thai Ranger

I have to agree there appears to be no confirmation of an outbreak or it is localised.

My enquiries to members of the Health Ministry in a neighbouring province about a viral outbreak were met with a questioning “No, we don’t know of one”. It was news to them.

I mentioned the comments in this thread with claims of children dying from an unknown virus or EV71. They had received no reports.

I was directed to the web site on EV71 to give information on the virus and its affects. It was suggested the photos and information may help identify a problem or ease peoples concerns.

My contacts work in an area of the ministry that receives reports and deals with problems of this nature for their province. This doesn’t mean there isn’t a problem in another province.

Dereklev,

You are beginning to sound hysterical.

To give credibility to your post give the name of one source and the hospital where they work.

If you are concerned about betraying a confidence you should weigh that against the lives of children that you are concerned about.

Have you contacted local schools to warn them? That will do more good than posting here.

I have 2 family members at Suraneree 2 school. I will go to the school Principal and ask why in hel_l they have not warned parents or taken precautions IF I can go armed with substantive evidence otherwise I will be treated as I am treating you.

My sister-in-law today went to the Korat Maharaj hospital, where most of the deaths were said to have occured, for a blood test. She arrived at 6am and there were 300 people waiting (typical govt hospital). Do you seriously believe a hospital which has witnessed deaths from a fatal unknown virus would not have taken precautions to avoid crowding to stop the virus spreading,

I left the other forum to join here because I realised your forum was populated by some sad people.

If a critcal word was said against Korat your members went apoplectic.

I think there may be something in the Korat water that is dulling the brains of farngs. Now that is worth investigating.

I repeat there is no evidence that 8 deaths have occurred resulting from an unknown virus.

It is because this is such serious issue that I cannot simply take your word for it.

To explain my last post. This was in response to a nasty hysterical rant from Dereklev that disappeared whilst I was drafting my reply.

I deleted my last post for my own reasons, it certainly was not a hysterical rant.

It questioned your original post and why I should have to name the person I have spoken to, or others name the people they have spoken to.

It all suggested that you know as much as your login name suggests!!

If a paediatrician I trust and respect confirms there is a virral outbreak and they are treating it as an Enterovirus then that is good enough for me.

I could not care less whether you believe what I say or not.

There are many very concerned farang parents in Korat, if you are not amonst them then as they say in Thailand...Up To You!!

Dereklev,

You are beginning to sound hysterical.

To give credibility to your post give the name of one source and the hospital where they work.

If you are concerned about betraying a confidence you should weigh that against the lives of children that you are concerned about.

Have you contacted local schools to warn them? That will do more good than posting here.

I have 2 family members at Suraneree 2 school. I will go to the school Principal and ask why in hel_l they have not warned parents or taken precautions IF I can go armed with substantive evidence otherwise I will be treated as I am treating you.

My sister-in-law today went to the Korat Maharaj hospital, where most of the deaths were said to have occured, for a blood test. She arrived at 6am and there were 300 people waiting (typical govt hospital). Do you seriously believe a hospital which has witnessed deaths from a fatal unknown virus would not have taken precautions to avoid crowding to stop the virus spreading,

I left the other forum to join here because I realised your forum was populated by some sad people.

If a critcal word was said against Korat your members went apoplectic.

I think there may be something in the Korat water that is dulling the brains of farngs. Now that is worth investigating.

I repeat there is no evidence that 8 deaths have occurred resulting from an unknown virus.

It is because this is such serious issue that I cannot simply take your word for it.

Hi Issac

What an objectionable person Thai Ranger is.

I suggest that before he says anthing else he asks himself three questions. Is it kind, is it necessary and is it true? Otherwise don't say it.

I do not need to rise to his insults but rest assured the comments I have given on this thread are backed up by qualification and 25 years experience.

Edited by Korat Correct