Are visa runs illegal now?

I'm confused like most other people.

I'm on a double entry visa. My two months are up Aug 17th. I plan to go to immigration on Friday to get the one month extension. I have never done this before so I don't have 5 years worth of extensions/visa runs on my passport. I don't see an issue with the one month extension.

On to the visa run. I just started the process of finding work in Bangkok as a teacher. I was going to South Korea in September but my job fell thru. Yes, I have a teacher license from America. I spent the last two years teaching in South Korea. If I can't find employment I may need to do the visa run.

Are visa runs not allowed anymore, or are they not allowed for people who have been abusing the system? This is the first time that I'm going to attempt a visa run. Hopefully, I can find a job so I won't have to do it.

Thanks.

Edited by benj005

No issues with the extension, TM7 form and 1900 baht.

You won't have a problem doing a visa run to activate your second entry at the expiration of the extension. They are currently lookingg at back to back visa exempt entries. Although some of the crossings in the south seem to have their own agenda!

You won't have a problem doing a visa run to activate your second entry at the expiration of the extension. They are currently lookingg at back to back visa exempt entries. Although some of the crossings in the south seem to have their own agenda!

I'm going to need a form for the extension? I will download the form this week. Thanks.

That's good to hear about the extension. Hopefully, I can find work so I won't need to do it. Thanks.

Edited by benj005

I'm going to need a form for the extension? I will download the form this week. Thanks.

That's good to hear about the extension. Hopefully, I can find work so I won't need to do it. Thanks.

if this is the 1st part of your 2 month double entry & your 1st extension of 30 days...make sure you check the date on your full page tourist visa...you have to leave Thailand & come back in before or on that date..doesn't always coincide with your new extension stamp & date.

Remember your Visa starts and therefore expires from the date it was issued, NOT the date you entered Thailand, for example if your Visa was issued 5th June and you entered Thailand on the 20th June your Visa would expire 60 days after 5th June not 60 days after the 20th.

Edited by FiestyFarang

Remember your Visa starts and therefore expires from the date it was issued, NOT the date you entered Thailand, for example if your Visa was issued 5th June and you entered Thailand on the 20th June your Visa would expire 60 days after 5th June not 60 days after the 20th.

It is never 60 days, the minimum for most visa is 90. Anyway the "entry before" date is clearly indicated on the visa.

It is never 60 days, the minimum for most visa is 90. Anyway the "entry before" date is clearly indicated on the visa.

You get 60 days on arrival and have to extend 30 days by going to Immigration this is my view and what my Passport said and what the OP stated therefore 60 days is the Visa in practical terms. Anyway now I never have to leave Thailand again if I continue to meet the conditions. So happy not to be getting on planes anymore.

• Like 1

You get 60 days on arrival and have to extend 30 days by going to Immigration this is my view and what my Passport said and what the OP stated therefore 60 days is the Visa in practical terms. Anyway now I never have to leave Thailand again if I continue to meet the conditions. So happy not to be getting on planes anymore.

I'm afraid you did not understood what i said. Again:

is incorrect, A single entry visa would expire, that is "enter before" date 90 days after issuance. This period is not extendable.

There are two expiration dates you have to keep track of.

A double entry tourist visa usually is good for use for six months after it is issued. If you want to make use of the second entry, you must exit and re-enter Thailand before the "use by" or expiration date printed on the visa you obtained at an embassy or consulate outside of Thailand.

When you enter Thailand at an airport or border the first time, you get a stamp showing how long you are permitted to stay in the Kingdom on this entry. 60 days for a tourist visa. You have to watch this date and apply for the 30 day extension or leave the country by that date. If you get a 30 day extension, you must then leave the country on or before this date on the second permission stamp in your passport.

So you must exit the country before the extension of your permission to stay runs out and you must come back into Thailand before the visa expires.

Once you make the second entry on a double entry visa, it is dead and used up and its expiration date is meaningless. Then the only date you need to concern yourself with is the latest permission to stay stamp and, if you apply for an extension, the subsequent extension of stay stamp, by which time you must leave.

Edited by Suradit69

I really hate when people writing absolutly nonsense!!! how can a tourist Visa expire 60 days after issud?

it expires never before 90 days !

A double entry tourist visa usually is good for use for six months after it is issued. If you want to make use of the second entry, you must exit and re-enter Thailand before the "use by" or expiration date printed on the visa you obtained at an embassy or consulate outside of Thailand.

When you enter Thailand at an airport or border the first time, you get a stamp showing how long you are permitted to stay in the Kingdom on this entry. 60 days for a tourist visa. You have to watch this date and apply for the 30 day extension or leave the country by that date. If you get a 30 day extension, you must then leave the country on or before this date on the second permission stamp in your passport.

So you must exit the country before the extension of your permission to stay runs out and you must come back into Thailand before the visa expires.

Once you make the second entry on a double entry visa, it is dead and used up and its expiration date is meaningless. Then the only date you need to concern yourself with is the latest permission to stay stamp and, if you apply for an extension, the subsequent extension of stay stamp, by which time you must leave.

Now for all the people who give wrong advise: DONT DO THIS ! if you dont know!

you must reenter Thaiiland not after 90 days after your double entry tourist Visa was issud, this date is clear on your Visa!

on a triple entry it is 180 days

Now for all the people who give wrong advise: DONT DO THIS ! if you dont know!

you must reenter Thaiiland not after 90 days after your double entry tourist Visa was issud, this date is clear on your Visa!

on a triple entry it is 180 days

I was under the impression that you could get a 30 day extension added to each entry of your multi entry visa. Someone told me it would be upwards of 270 days total for a triple entry visa. Is this false information?

I was under the impression that you could get a 30 day extension added to each entry of your multi entry visa. Someone told me it would be upwards of 270 days total for a triple entry visa. Is this false information?

It is correct information. Check your visa "enter before" date for the last day on which you will be allowed for a 60+30 entry.

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently on a double entry visa with the first entry coming to an end in September. I plan not to do the 30-day extension and go straight for activation of the second 60 days.

Someone just told me that officers at border crossing will no longer activate the second part of the double entry visa after August 12. Is this correct?

I am currently on a double entry visa with the first entry coming to an end in September. I plan not to do the 30-day extension and go straight for activation of the second 60 days.

Someone just told me that officers at border crossing will no longer activate the second part of the double entry visa after August 12. Is this correct?

No, that is not correct.

• Like 1

No, that is not correct.

Great, thought so.

Just to be sure, has anybody here successfully reactivated their second leg of a double-entry visa after August 12 at the border crossing in Taichilek?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm afraid you did not understood what i said. Again:

is incorrect, A single entry visa would expire, that is "enter before" date 90 days after issuance. This period is not extendable.

60 days on arrival and you have to extend before the Visa expires...but rules do change with visas.

60 days on arrival and you have to extend before the Visa expires...but rules do change with visas.

No, any tourist visa entry can be extended for further 30. There is list of passport countries for which it is not allowed, but all western countries are allowed.