The new extension rules for people studying

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for this clarification. Probably it will help many.

What if a student do vacation to his country for several weeks?

That is possible, provided one is back on time for the extension of stay and doesn't stay away too long as not studying very much.

It can of course also be necessary for the study to travel 9often). That is something one can explain.

Looks like options are running out for many foreigners wanting to stay here, surely a yearly Thai test would be sufficient to assess a student's level of progression, it seems that even if they were to do things the proper way at the end they wouldn't even be able to stay in the country to use their language skills they've learned anyway, thus making it all rather pointless. I'd never jump through these hoops myself, if I wasn't employed here legally I'd just go somewhere else, coming here for 3 months a year as a tourist is a nice enough option IMO.

• Like 1

that elite card is gonna look a whole lot more attractive now..

tuition 60,000

edvisa + travel 5000

extensions x 3 5700

travel 50 x 4 x 50 weeks 10000

total 80,700

plus of course 8 x 50 weeks tuition = 400 hours of your life

Let's see first how the private education industry and the regulations adapt to each other, over time.

My thinking is that there will be an increase of cost and inconvenience for staying in Thailand, but not a dramatic one. And that if and when the industry will be able to self regulate, more options will become possible, e.g. reliable attendance/proficiency cards, advanced course program to setend study duration over multiple years, reintroduction of yearly extensions, etc.

It is a job for the industry to become credible to the government, with a national associations, quality and ethical standards, best business practices, etc. Of course if Thailand is OK with having schools that are run they way many are run now, no progress will ever be made.

• Like 1

that elite card is gonna look a whole lot more attractive now..

tuition 60,000

edvisa + travel 5000

extensions x 3 5700

travel 50 x 4 x 50 weeks 10000

total 80,700

plus of course 8 x 50 weeks tuition = 400 hours of your life

Let's see first how the private education industry and the regulations adapt to each other, over time.

My thinking is that there will be an increase of cost and inconvenience for staying in Thailand, but not a dramatic one. And that if and when the industry will be able to self regulate, more options will become possible, e.g. reliable attendance/proficiency cards, advanced course program to setend study duration over multiple years, reintroduction of yearly extensions, etc.

It is a job for the industry to become credible to the government, with a national associations, quality and ethical standards, best business practices, etc. Of course if Thailand is OK with having schools that are run they way many are run now, no progress will ever be made.

agree with everything you say, especially the last line :)

short term though inconvenience just doubled, the market will set price

"That means that after 1 year you have to leave the country and maybe apply for a new ED-visa."

Maybe? So is this a new rule, or just some maybe? Please clarify.

No, he means, that if you want to, you can apply for a new ED visa. Or you can go home. Or get married. Or move to Japan. Or whatever.

Looks like options are running out for many foreigners wanting to stay here, surely a yearly Thai test would be sufficient to assess a student's level of progression, it seems that even if they were to do things the proper way at the end they wouldn't even be able to stay in the country to use their language skills they've learned anyway, thus making it all rather pointless. I'd never jump through these hoops myself, if I wasn't employed here legally I'd just go somewhere else, coming here for 3 months a year as a tourist is a nice enough option IMO.

Not really pointless at all. They could still come back on holiday every year and use the Thai they learnt. Many English people learn French, German, Spanish, etc and use them when they go on holiday. They don't think it's a waste of time just because they don't live in France, Germany, Spain. Learning a language is fun for many people. They don't learn one just to live in a particular place.

ED Visa is not meant to be a way to learn a language so that you can stay in the country. Imagine how many people would go to UK if all they had to do was learn English a few hours a week for the rest of their lives.

You think it's to much hassle to use to just stay in the country, but that is the whole point. They want genuine language learners, nit people learning it just as a way to stay here. So they have succeeded if you and others are put off.

Good points, it makes no difference to me as I work here legally and pay tax. Although I imagine a good percentage are mainly interested in the visa, not really the language skills, was certainly the case at the language centre I used to study at.

Edited by Suttisan
  • Like 1

New rules to increase the required study would be great news. Would Make it harder for the people that have no interest in studying and are just it in for visa. Awesome.

However 4x days a week should be changed to 4 hours for 2 days per week. 2 hours per day is a bit silly.

• Like 1

I think it could work. At least for the students who really do want to stay here and learn Thai. Eight hours a week plus study will enable those who really want to learn Thai to do so much better in 6 months than they could in a year, They would them have a genuine case to ask for at least one tourist visa on the grounds of wishing to travel in the rest of Thailand and use the skill they have learnt. It will mean a lot of schools will close but I believe those that remain will be better for it. I would agree with the previous poster if the four hours were two in the morning and two in the afternoon with at least a two hour break. Four straight hours does not help learning and getting the requirements out of the way in two mornings would suit mostly those who are using their visa for other things and not really wanting to learn Thai.

Edited by harrry

i am actually on ED visa, and i am going to the class every time, and try to lern thai. (very difficult for me , i was not very quick in scholl also in my home country)

but i think 4 days a week is a bit to much and of course they will increase the price of the course....

I think if this is going to be true, i will buy a 5 years thai elite visa, and try to improve the thai with the help of my Gf and friends.

i am actually on ED visa, and i am going to the class every time, and try to lern thai. (very difficult for me , i was not very quick in scholl also in my home country)

but i think 4 days a week is a bit to much and of course they will increase the price of the course....

I think if this is going to be true, i will buy a 5 years thai elite visa, and try to improve the thai with the help of my Gf and friends.

8 hours a week is a bit much for you?

I think you fit the criteria the crackdown is aimed at.

Does anyone know what this says for my situation?

I've just received the documents from my language school and the ministry of ED so I can apply for my ED visa. I'm doing a 4 hour/week course.

Tomorrow I'll apply for my visa.

Will I still get my visa?

That would be difficult for the many Muay Thai, diving or something else learning students. Or how about other foreign languages students?

I first did a course for 4 weeks 4 hrs a day and found I learnt with this. after a month break I did the more advanced course for the same time and learnt but due to non use of a plan for just what was going to be covered and how deeply for this course not quite as much. I then did a one year 2 hours a day two days a week course and this was a disaster as though the teacher was willing to teach the students were only wanting to get a visa so any idea of working hard and developing was gone because of the effect their erratic attendance had on the course.

I wonder how this will affect existing students.

I signed up 2 or 3 weeks ago to study for 6 months, I'm still waiting for the paperwork from the Ministry of Education.

My course is in Bangkok and was supposed to be 4 hours a week.

Whilst I do want to learn the language, I'm not sure I want to give up my free time to go to classes more than twice a week.

I'll report back once I've spoken to my school.

The other issue for me is I'm only doing 6 months as I am working on getting a WP and needed some visa type to cover me whilst that is done.

If my 6 month course is now a 3 month course and my 6 months of ED visa are now only 3 months, then I'm going to have problems because I don't think 3 months is enough time for my partners and I to get the new company setup and sort out my WP.

I am currently on my last 90 day extension until November and have been in Thailand for more than one year. I have to leave the country for 2 weeks and I am expecting to return on my current extension and with a re entry permit . In November I will get a new visa. Question is, is my 90 day extension still valid ( it is only a year visa) . I understand I might get asked questions on my Thai ability .

Again, this last is now only for Bangkok but will possibly soon be for the whole country.

I don't understand above. Exactly what is for Bangkok only?

And why would an immigration rule apply for the Bangkok area only and not the entire country/all immigration offices?

I wonder how this will affect existing students.

I signed up 2 or 3 weeks ago to study for 6 months, I'm still waiting for the paperwork from the Ministry of Education.

My course is in Bangkok and was supposed to be 4 hours a week.

Whilst I do want to learn the language, I'm not sure I want to give up my free time to go to classes more than twice a week.

I'll report back once I've spoken to my school.

The other issue for me is I'm only doing 6 months as I am working on getting a WP and needed some visa type to cover me whilst that is done.

If my 6 month course is now a 3 month course and my 6 months of ED visa are now only 3 months, then I'm going to have problems because I don't think 3 months is enough time for my partners and I to get the new company setup and sort out my WP.

Looks as if you will have to do what you should have and got the proper visa to do that.

• Like 1