BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Mario2008

The new extension rules for people studying

Thanks for this clarification. Probably it will help many.

What if a student do vacation to his country for several weeks?

Edited by alocacoc

Thanks for this clarification. Probably it will help many.

What if a student do vacation to his country for several weeks?

That is possible, provided one is back on time for the extension of stay and doesn't stay away too long as not studying very much.

It can of course also be necessary for the study to travel 9often). That is something one can explain.

Language schools (learning Thai e.g.) fall under non-formal schools I guess?

that elite card is gonna look a whole lot more attractive now..

tuition 60,000

edvisa + travel 5000

extensions x 3 5700

travel 50 x 4 x 50 weeks 10000

total 80,700

plus of course 8 x 50 weeks tuition = 400 hours of your life

ouch

• Like 1

Language schools (learning Thai e.g.) fall under non-formal schools I guess?

I believe so.

Looks like options are running out for many foreigners wanting to stay here, surely a yearly Thai test would be sufficient to assess a student's level of progression, it seems that even if they were to do things the proper way at the end they wouldn't even be able to stay in the country to use their language skills they've learned anyway, thus making it all rather pointless. I'd never jump through these hoops myself, if I wasn't employed here legally I'd just go somewhere else, coming here for 3 months a year as a tourist is a nice enough option IMO.

• Like 1

tuition 60,000

edvisa + travel 5000

extensions x 3 5700

total 80,700

Let's see first how the private education industry and the regulations adapt to each other, over time.

My thinking is that there will be an increase of cost and inconvenience for staying in Thailand, but not a dramatic one. And that if and when the industry will be able to self regulate, more options will become possible, e.g. reliable attendance/proficiency cards, advanced course program to setend study duration over multiple years, reintroduction of yearly extensions, etc.

It is a job for the industry to become credible to the government, with a national associations, quality and ethical standards, best business practices, etc. Of course if Thailand is OK with having schools that are run they way many are run now, no progress will ever be made.

• Like 1

tuition 60,000

edvisa + travel 5000

extensions x 3 5700

total 80,700

Let's see first how the private education industry and the regulations adapt to each other, over time.

My thinking is that there will be an increase of cost and inconvenience for staying in Thailand, but not a dramatic one. And that if and when the industry will be able to self regulate, more options will become possible, e.g. reliable attendance/proficiency cards, advanced course program to setend study duration over multiple years, reintroduction of yearly extensions, etc.

It is a job for the industry to become credible to the government, with a national associations, quality and ethical standards, best business practices, etc. Of course if Thailand is OK with having schools that are run they way many are run now, no progress will ever be made.

agree with everything you say, especially the last line :)

short term though inconvenience just doubled, the market will set price

"That means that after 1 year you have to leave the country and maybe apply for a new ED-visa."

Maybe? So is this a new rule, or just some maybe? Please clarify.

"That means that after 1 year you have to leave the country and maybe apply for a new ED-visa."

Maybe? So is this a new rule, or just some maybe? Please clarify.

No, he means, that if you want to, you can apply for a new ED visa. Or you can go home. Or get married. Or move to Japan. Or whatever.

Looks like options are running out for many foreigners wanting to stay here, surely a yearly Thai test would be sufficient to assess a student's level of progression, it seems that even if they were to do things the proper way at the end they wouldn't even be able to stay in the country to use their language skills they've learned anyway, thus making it all rather pointless. I'd never jump through these hoops myself, if I wasn't employed here legally I'd just go somewhere else, coming here for 3 months a year as a tourist is a nice enough option IMO.

Not really pointless at all. They could still come back on holiday every year and use the Thai they learnt. Many English people learn French, German, Spanish, etc and use them when they go on holiday. They don't think it's a waste of time just because they don't live in France, Germany, Spain. Learning a language is fun for many people. They don't learn one just to live in a particular place.

ED Visa is not meant to be a way to learn a language so that you can stay in the country. Imagine how many people would go to UK if all they had to do was learn English a few hours a week for the rest of their lives.

You think it's to much hassle to use to just stay in the country, but that is the whole point. They want genuine language learners, nit people learning it just as a way to stay here. So they have succeeded if you and others are put off.

Good points, it makes no difference to me as I work here legally and pay tax. Although I imagine a good percentage are mainly interested in the visa, not really the language skills, was certainly the case at the language centre I used to study at.

Edited by Suttisan
  • Like 1

@Mario

if you don't mind please, what is the source of these new rules and also why is there no official statement from immigration especially considering new police orders were released only a few days ago?

• Like 2