The new extension rules for people studying

No one can predict what will happen. But I think it is wise to extend before the 29th and hopefully you will be OK.

My ED visa situation is similar to yumiyoshi. I've been studying Thai continuously since September 2012; Finished 15 months at Walen, then changed to another school at the start of 2014. My current visa extension expires on September 27. I was hoping to do this in Jomtien as usual, but my school director told me that I must instead leave Thailand and get a new ED visa abroad, in order to finish my final 3 months of study at his school. I plan to go back to the homeland in 2015.

I'm not happy about having to do this unexpected ED visa run so close to the end of my time in Thailand. Would it be possible for me to avoid this by going to Jomtien before August 29 to extend my ED visa one more time; even though that is nearly a month before my current extension expires?

I would certainly try.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been on an ED visa for over 3 years but I am on my last extension until October . I last left on a re entry and arrived back in March 2013. I am leaving on the 30th August and returning in September on my existing extension and my valid re entry permit. The new rules are confusing as to what a year is, when it is from and whether my

existing (and final ) extension will cause any questions. Why do we pay fees each year if it is not for a "new" yearly visa which is the extensions , so each time we pay we are registered for another year or am I crazy ? The

new system will obviously sort that out as people will have to leave the country every year.

To answer your question you need to tell at what kind of school you study. Nothing changes for a study a ta regular school or university, these students get yearly extensions as usual.

The changes are only regarding students at non-formal schools, such as language schools. They can now only get an extension of stay for 90 days at a time (which at most places already was the case) and cannot stay longer than 1 year total from date of entry. After one year they must get a new ED-visa.

New rules to increase the required study would be great news. Would Make it harder for the people that have no interest in studying and are just it in for visa. Awesome.

However 4x days a week should be changed to 4 hours for 2 days per week. 2 hours per day is a bit silly.

So because you are in a position to have a visa you think its ok that people under 50 who do not wish to be an ATM (marry) or have Thai children should not be allowed to stay ?

Typical of the mean spirited expats who are lucky to be able to get a visa for long stay. I hope they tighten up on retirement visas like making you apply yearly from your home country including police checks etc.

No wonder Thailand wants to get rid of long stay falangs, reading on Thaivisa shows how petty westerners who live here are. Better of with just 30 day max tourists should help clean up the sexpat scene

Are you someone that abuses the visa for study but doesn't actually study? You're the person making hard for people that genuinely want to study, thailand doesn't need people like you.

p.s I'm no on a retirement visa, your posts tells me the person you are.

How many times did we read on this very website, people just wanting to stay in the country being advised to take an ED visa ?

I have been on an ED visa for over 3 years but I am on my last extension until October . I last left on a re entry and arrived back in March 2013. I am leaving on the 30th August and returning in September on my existing extension and my valid re entry permit. The new rules are confusing as to what a year is, when it is from and whether my

existing (and final ) extension will cause any questions. Why do we pay fees each year if it is not for a "new" yearly visa which is the extensions , so each time we pay we are registered for another year or am I crazy ? The

new system will obviously sort that out as people will have to leave the country every year.

To answer your question you need to tell at what kind of school you study. Nothing changes for a study a ta regular school or university, these students get yearly extensions as usual.

The changes are only regarding students at non-formal schools, such as language schools. They can now only get an extension of stay for 90 days at a time (which at most places already was the case) and cannot stay longer than 1 year total from date of entry. After one year they must get a new ED-visa.

I'm at a non-formal school. All I want to make sure is that my current extension & re entry dated until October will

still be valid when I come back in September . As the rules come in after my last extension I assume my current

extension is still ok . If not , and there is a problem at the airport would they allow someone to enter on a 30 day

arrival. Does it matter that the last time I arrived was March 2013 as my current extension was before the 29th ?

That brings up something I hadn't thought about. If I get a re-entry permit, do I have to pay for one for my son (age 13 and he'll be on a dependent visa) as well?

He will need a re-entry permit if he is on an extension of stay (it is not a visa) as your dependent.

That brings up something I hadn't thought about. If I get a re-entry permit, do I have to pay for one for my son (age 13 and he'll be on a dependent visa) as well?

He will need a re-entry permit if he is on an extension of stay (it is not a visa) as your dependent.

Oh, yeah. Sorry, I still screw up and call it a visa when I shouldn't. Thanks!