The new extension rules for people studying

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the source of this change from 4 hours per week to 8 hours per week? My language school's whole curriculum is built around a 'two evenings per week' model. Many students are on ED visas and many are working for international companies like Agoda. Why haven't they heard anything about this?

What's the source of this change from 4 hours per week to 8 hours per week? My language school's whole curriculum is built around a 'two evenings per week' model. Many students are on ED visas and many are working for international companies like Agoda. Why haven't they heard anything about this?

If they are working they have the proper visa and workpermit so they do not need to study unless they want to. They can continue to do 2 hrs twice a week but not on an ED visa.

• Like 1

Because much is still up in the air. Maybe there are "negotiations" undergoing or maybe the authorities are debating a way to enact regulations in a legal way, and searching who has the burden to enforce them.

Bottom line, there is quite a bit of clampdown on ED extensions of stay, and before or after all subject will get to know.

i wonder if a two tier system will develop now? 8 hours a week for ED visa students and a slower, maybe night class system of 4 hours a week for those who just want to learn.

studying 8 hours a week plus homework and revision/memorization time will be a lot of for someone who may be working or running a business full time already

If they are working they have the proper visa and workpermit so they do not need to study unless they want to. They can continue to do 2 hrs twice a week but not on an ED visa.

Thanks for stating the stating the obvious. It's still a concern for the school because today their product meets the needs of two types of students. After this change it will only meet the needs of one type, cutting their market in half.

That's why I'm asking, what's the source for the change, and why has this website heard about it before a directly affected language school does?

• Like 1

i am actually on ED visa, and i am going to the class every time, and try to lern thai. (very difficult for me , i was not very quick in scholl also in my home country)

but i think 4 days a week is a bit to much and of course they will increase the price of the course....

I think if this is going to be true, i will buy a 5 years thai elite visa, and try to improve the thai with the help of my Gf and friends.

8 hours a week is a bit much for you?

I think you fit the criteria the crackdown is aimed at.

I am actually going every time in the school and try to lern thai also when i am at home. The problem is not the 8 hours , but you have to go to school 4 days a week. Actually i like to have free time to move and visit thailand, i like to go sometime to place like, chang mai, puket , samui ecc ecc ecc so I am at home the 2 days when i have my school as i dont want to miss any lesson, and after i am free and i can go where i like. Sometime i don't go anywhere and sometime i travel, but i want to have the ability to decide myself ....

Actually as i understand is 4 day a week for 2 hours. And after you also have to try to do something at home, other wise the next time you go to class you cannot remember nothing... (that is me...)

so since i don't like to miss some lesson but at the same time i know that maybe 4 days a week is to much for me i decid to buy a thai elite visa and learn thai my self when i want.

so i dont really think what you say about me is true. From when i was a child i always respect everybody and all the rules and law, that is why i am thinking to buy a thai elite visa.

(this one was my first here in school, i am quite new in thailand...)

Edited by marino28

Because much is still up in the air. Maybe there are "negotiations" undergoing or maybe the authorities are debating a way to enact regulations in a legal way, and searching who has the burden to enforce them.

Bottom line, there is quite a bit of clampdown on ED extensions of stay, and before or after all subject will get to know.

So does that mean that the regulation is not yet in effect? The impression I got from the OP was that it's in effect now for all Bangkok language schools.

"That means that after 1 year you have to leave the country and maybe apply for a new ED-visa."

Maybe? So is this a new rule, or just some maybe? Please clarify.

What is sure is that for studying at a non-formal school after 1 year you will have to leave the country (or find another reason to stay).

You than can apply for a new ED-visa abroad, but we will have to wait under what conditions you will be issued a new ED-visa or approval from the ministry of education. If that will change is for now unclear.

@Mario

if you don't mind please, what is the source of these new rules and also why is there no official statement from immigration especially considering new police orders were released only a few days ago?

Most of my opening post is an explanation of what the police order means.

With regards to the information about the hour requirement, that is new and has been confirmed by a language school owner at least for Bangkok. There were also some reports about this on the forum earlier. I would say it is pretty solid information.

For the rest of the country it is not yet clear if the hour requirements will also double. My best guess is it will be. But right now a lot of language school owners are trying to get more clarity from both education ministry and immigration about what the new rules will mean for their students and I hope they will be able to give some clarification coming week.

• Like 1

If one has already gone through 5 or 6 years with ED Visas to study Thai, could he/she be granted a visa for another year? In otherwords, do they have a limit to the number of years of ED Visas for that?

You will probably be able to get another visa, but not an extension of stay longer than 90 days maximum and not allowed to stay for longer than 1 year in total from date of entry. So after 1 year will need to leave the country again and apply for a new ED-visa abroad.

If you will be able to get continuously ED-visas and use them as a way to live permanently in Thailand is the big question. But that policy (issuing of a visa) is dictated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and not immigration.

• Like 2

"That means that after 1 year you have to leave the country and maybe apply for a new ED-visa."

What is sure is that for studying at a non-formal school after 1 year you will have to leave the country (or find another reason to stay).

You than can apply for a new ED-visa abroad, but we will have to wait under what conditions you will be issued a new ED-visa or approval from the ministry of education. If that will change is for now unclear.

I had heard that now you only get 1 year ( 3 x 90 extensions) not the 15 months anymore and that at the end of each year you have to leave the country and get a new visa, no more continuous stay for however years the schools say. Apparently the consulate in Laos is full of ED visa seeking guys & gals trying to get their new visas before this new rule comes into affect on 29th August.

My question is I have been on an ED visa for 3 years, all with 90 day extensions at the Immigration Office. My current year finishes in November yet I have been in the country for more than one year. I am about to leave the country on a 2 weeks visit to see family and had heard horror stories about getting back in. I assume my current extension until November along with a re entry permit should suffice and like everyone else I will have to get a new visa in November.

Does anyone know what this says for my situation?

I've just received the documents from my language school and the ministry of ED so I can apply for my ED visa. I'm doing a 4 hour/week course.

Tomorrow I'll apply for my visa.

Will I still get my visa?

Yes, you will still get a visa. Those rules haven't changed.

What has, or better will, change are the rules for an extension.

I am currently on my last 90 day extension until November and have been in Thailand for more than one year. I have to leave the country for 2 weeks and I am expecting to return on my current extension and with a re entry permit . In November I will get a new visa. Question is, is my 90 day extension still valid ( it is only a year visa) . I understand I might get asked questions on my Thai ability .

Your current extension is still valid and with a re-entry permit you can return to Thailand.

Some people report being asked to say a few words in Thai, but that should not be difficult.

• Like 1

Again, this last is now only for Bangkok but will possibly soon be for the whole country.

I don't understand above. Exactly what is for Bangkok only?

And why would an immigration rule apply for the Bangkok area only and not the entire country/all immigration offices?

The increase of the hour requirement form 4 hours to 8 hours a week is for now only reported in Bangkok.

• Like 1

New rules to increase the required study would be great news. Would Make it harder for the people that have no interest in studying and are just it in for visa. Awesome.

However 4x days a week should be changed to 4 hours for 2 days per week. 2 hours per day is a bit silly.

2 hours a day is great, done it myself (4 x a week). I used to get homework too (about 10 hours a week).

You are learning a lot this way.

Maybe a bit of struggle for people who don't really want to study but who cares.

• Like 1

So does that mean that the regulation is not yet in effect? The impression I got from the OP was that it's in effect now for all Bangkok language schools.

The immigration rules will come into effect on August 29th. I am not sure about the hour requirement, it might already be in effect but I think it will also start on the 29th to give schools a bit time to adapt.

I had heard that now you only get 1 year ( 3 x 90 extensions) not the 15 months anymore and that at the end of each year you have to leave the country and get a new visa, no more continuous stay for however years the schools say. Apparently the consulate in Laos is full of ED visa seeking guys & gals trying to get their new visas before this new rule comes into affect on 29th August.

My question is I have been on an ED visa for 3 years, all with 90 day extensions at the Immigration Office. My current year finishes in November yet I have been in the country for more than one year. I am about to leave the country on a 2 weeks visit to see family and had heard horror stories about getting back in. I assume my current extension until November along with a re entry permit should suffice and like everyone else I will have to get a new visa in November.

Yes, that will be my reading also.

8 hours a week is fine by me, although 2 days x 4 hours would be more convenient than 4 days x 2 hours. But, whatever it is, I'll adapt.

I am curious how this will affect those of us that have paid for our course but will not be starting before 29 August. I'm not coming over until January (and won't get my MoE letter until December), so I guess I'll just have to talk to the school and see if I need to send more cash.

Even if the price doubles, it's still a good deal when you consider that you get to learn the language AND stay in the country for a year without border runs. Totally worth it, in my opinion.

• Like 1

I am currently on my last 90 day extension until November and have been in Thailand for more than one year. I have to leave the country for 2 weeks and I am expecting to return on my current extension and with a re entry permit . In November I will get a new visa. Question is, is my 90 day extension still valid ( it is only a year visa) . I understand I might get asked questions on my Thai ability .

Your current extension is still valid and with a re-entry permit you can return to Thailand.

Some people report being asked to say a few words in Thai, but that should not be difficult.

Thank you for your reply .. it really helps with all the confusion that's going on.

Even if the price doubles, it's still a good deal when you consider that you get to learn the language AND stay in the country for a year without border runs. Totally worth it, in my opinion.

The thing is, at 100,000 Bt year (paid in advance for 5 years) one can stay in country with no extensions, visa runs or other hassle, and get benefits that for many are more appealing than going to school. As the price and inconvenience of studying to stay in country increases, that is a valid point.

I think the average language student is paying 25k/yr or something. Even if this doubles, it's really not the same market as the Elite visa. I think if it goes up too much a lot of the students at the cheaper schools will just go home. Thailand will just have to deal with a shortage of farang club promoters and off season khao san road regulars I guess

New rules to increase the required study would be great news. Would Make it harder for the people that have no interest in studying and are just it in for visa. Awesome.

However 4x days a week should be changed to 4 hours for 2 days per week. 2 hours per day is a bit silly.

So because you are in a position to have a visa you think its ok that people under 50 who do not wish to be an ATM (marry) or have Thai children should not be allowed to stay ?

Typical of the mean spirited expats who are lucky to be able to get a visa for long stay. I hope they tighten up on retirement visas like making you apply yearly from your home country including police checks etc.

No wonder Thailand wants to get rid of long stay falangs, reading on Thaivisa shows how petty westerners who live here are. Better of with just 30 day max tourists should help clean up the sexpat scene

• Like 2

Come to Thailand, spend your money and time learning the Thai language and then go straight back home to your country where nobody speaks Thai but feel free to come back on the occasional holiday.

I'm planning to retire here and I feel like if I'm going to be living in a country long term, the least I can do is try to learn the language. So, for me, it's not a waste.

• Like 1

So because you are in a position to have a visa you think its ok that people under 50 who do not wish to be an ATM (marry) or have Thai children should not be allowed to stay ?

Typical of the mean spirited expats who are lucky to be able to get a visa for long stay. I hope they tighten up on retirement visas like making you apply yearly from your home country including police checks etc.

No wonder Thailand wants to get rid of long stay falangs, reading on Thaivisa shows how petty westerners who live here are. Better of with just 30 day max tourists should help clean up the sexpat scene

And your post isn't mean spirited?? ermm.gif

• Like 2

The thing is, at 100,000 Bt year (paid in advance for 5 years) one can stay in country with no extensions, visa runs or other hassle, and get benefits that for many are more appealing than going to school. As the price and inconvenience of studying to stay in country increases, that is a valid point.

Even if it costs 50k baht a year from here on out (which I don't think it will), the school will still be half of what the elite costs and it is paid over time instead of all at once. I do agree that at a certain point, the elite will be a better option for a lot of people. And, if the number of hours went up to something outrageous (someone said 25 hours a week at one point), then I'd probably opt for the elite. But, for now, this is still the better choice and kills two birds with one stone for me.

I don't think 8 hours a week is too much to ask. That's equivalent to less than three classes a week at a US college. Still nowhere near full time study.

The 2 hours, 4 days a week is supposedly aimed at those working Monday to Friday whilst studying weekends doing their 8 hours, I guess.